Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery Unit Oddity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> Artillery Unit Oddity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery Unit Oddity - 7/18/2018 1:14:09 AM   
lazydawg

I patched to 1.02.28Beta and started a new 1943-1945 campaign as the allies. I distributed the artillery units to Corps HQs and after a couple of turns I noticed that many of the allied artillery units changed elements. For example, after two or three turns, all eight of the initial US 155mm Howitzer Bns had changed elements from 155mm Howitzers to 105mm Howitzers. Similarly, the two initial British Super Heavy Artillery regiments had changed elements from 8in Howitzers to 5.5in Field Guns. Even stranger, the artillery units seem to maintain their starting elements if they are kept in ARMY HQs or higher HQs. They only seemed to change elements 1 or 2 turns after being assigned to Corps HQs.

As a test to see if this behavior is limited to 1.02.28Beta, I uninstalled the game and reinstalled the original 1.0.0 version. I ran a couple of turns and I'm seeing the same odd behavior.

Is the game operating properly, or is this a bug?
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery Unit Oddity - 7/18/2018 4:04:55 AM   
Joel Billings

There are routines that can swap out weapons for other weapons. It's intended to act if the army is short of a particular weapon and has more of another. There are cases where the routine may be too aggressive at swapping out weapons, but we'd have to see saves (ideally before and after saves) to look into it further. It's certainly possible to see some units not equipped with what you'd expect them to have. Since it's an automatic routine it does have its limitations.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to lazydawg)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery Unit Oddity - 7/18/2018 9:27:24 AM   
lazydawg

Thanks for the response. In my case it looks like the replacement routine is very aggressive. Between Turns 5 & 6 in my game all of the US artillery units changed from 155mm to 105mm howitzers. The pools for these elements are:

Turn 5

105mm How 1206
155mm How 400

Turn 6

105mm How 1205
155mm How 496

I've uploaded Turns 5 & 6 from my 1.02.28Beta game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery Unit Oddity - 7/19/2018 5:34:02 PM   
Joel Billings

Thanks for the saves. We expect to improve on this in the next update.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to lazydawg)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> Artillery Unit Oddity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI