Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11 - 12/3/2018 2:29:28 PM   
weinsoldner

@sparleytits I have been on the Axis team for the last 12 turns and have never seen or geard of you on discird reksting to this game.
I can do without ALL the BS and drama. Just want to play and Enjoy this game with fellow enthousiasts

(in reply to mssm45)
Post #: 331
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11 - 12/3/2018 2:51:58 PM   
SparkleyTits

quote:

I can do without ALL the BS and drama. Just want to play and Enjoy this game with fellow enthousiasts

Of course man I am making no BS at all
Sorry I am quite surprised by all of this but I don't want people thinking things like this so I'll drop the issue then, apologies again

(in reply to mssm45)
Post #: 332
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11 - 12/3/2018 3:11:08 PM   
mssm45

Just to clarify if needed, I am not aware of any concern in the Axis team about you having a role in the Soviet team.

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 333
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11 - 12/3/2018 3:14:14 PM   
thedoctorking

Sparkley has been the USSR CoS since the beginning of this game. His role is to advise us as to our operations, set strategic direction, and allocate resources to each of the commanders. I am the team manager. My role is to communicate with my team to arrange who goes when and communicate with the other team's manager (also their CoS, Telemecus) on issues of joint interest like when they will be done and who is playing for them. Usually the two roles are combined, but in this case we divided them round about turn 6 for diplomatic reasons that I'm not going to go into. The purpose of the game was to have an experienced player as CoS of each side, with three or four newbies in the operational command role, as a way to train new players. I am certainly not experienced enough to fill that role myself!

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 334
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11 - 12/3/2018 3:24:32 PM   
SparkleyTits

I honestly thought it was just a mistype by Telemecus and we would all have a good giggle about how I did not exist when I brought it up
I did not think under any circumstances I would get these kind of reactions and it's shocked and upset me quite a bit, I honestly had no idea there were these issues and I most certainly did not want to cause any

I'll happily leave if it is even slightly ruining anybodies enjoyment, I don't want to be the reason people don't enjoy themselves and this a constantly exhausting experience for me nowadays too so perhaps for the best to be honest

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 335
Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:24:57 PM   
thedoctorking

Connect 4 AAR, Turn 12

Turn 12 was a quiet one across most of our front. Mud in the North Soviet zone kept the Germans quiet in the Moscow region. North of Moscow, infantry forces fought a few static battles but there was no movement of the front. The Axis air forces continued their aggressive tactics. It was only the far south that there was significant movement of the front, along the lines that we anticipated last turn.

On the northern front, German 18th Army remained in its positions, presumably restocking supplies and fuel after last turn’s mud. It was only in 16th Army’s area of operations that the Germans launched a limited offensive between the Polist and Lovat rivers. This could be an attempt to set up for a larger offensive next turn towards Lake Ilmen. Three motorized divisions of 4th Panzer Group remain behind or near the front, while the majority of the Group has moved definitively into the south Valdai Hills, supporting 3rd Panzer Group’s offensive towards Rzhev.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mssm45)
Post #: 336
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:25:38 PM   
thedoctorking

In this region, we remained somewhat static, though Northwest Front extended its lines to the east somewhat to relieve Reserve Front behind the Volga. We reoccupied the hexes that the Germans cleared but did not occupy along the Lovat River. We strengthened our positions in that area to prevent a possible German breakthrough in that area. I think it is unlikely that three unsupported motorized divisions are going to do much with a breakthrough even if the infantry in the area could accomplish one. The tanks of 4th Panzer Group are well to the south and in ZOC’s. But safety first.

Two high-quality brigades remained in the Leningrad area to prevent amphibious attacks to destroy the factories there. We had a lengthy discussion about the likelihood of such at attack, given the “house rule” that suicide amphibious and airborne attacks are forbidden. We came to the consensus that an assault on Leningrad at this point, with the nearest German forces almost 100 miles away, would quality as suicide.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 337
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:26:23 PM   
thedoctorking

In the center, 4th and 3rd Panzer Groups, supported by the remainder of 16th Army and 9th Army, re-opened a small pocket we created last turn, destroyed a couple of pocketed divisions, and probably did at least one HQ buildup. It’s possible that the HQBU was performed last turn, since their improved fuel and supply status was visible this turn. Anyway, they are well-supplied now despite the fact that they were surrounded by Soviet Zones of Control during the logistics phase of their turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 338
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:27:24 PM   
thedoctorking

A breakthrough and raid appears more likely in the central region. We left units behind to ZOC block supply to the forward units of 3rd Panzer Group. However, judging from the supply and fuel statuses of units that we could see, at least some of those units had an HQBU last turn. Therefore, they will still have plenty of movement factors. There is also infantry in the area that can help with the initial attacks. We stiffened our defenses as much as we could in this area, but I would not be surprised to see a major breakthrough here next turn. They might still be attacking up the rail line towards Peno and on to Torzhok, but it’s also possible that they could pull the FBD off that rail line and switch it to the line through Rzhev if they are able to advance in that direction. We brought in some forces to back our lines, but there are several seams in our defenses that they could exploit to make a large pocket or drive dramatically towards Moscow. Our supremo, Dave, decided that we should withdraw all our new Guards divisions to the rear for training, so instead of holding the line behind Moscow, our three new Guards Rifle Divisions are entertaining the nurses back 50 miles to the east of Moscow. I will have something to say about this if, next turn, I find half of Reserve Front pocketed… At least I found enough divisions to garrison Moscow itself, so there will be no surprise capture of our capital.

In an annoying development, our very skilled Reserve Front air commander, Faleev, was replaced by some idiot. It would cost us 16 AP to get him back again, and no guarantees the NKVD would let him stay. We bought eight artillery regiments instead and decided to let the idiot prove himself. If we’re lucky, he’ll get rolled right away and we can have Faleev back or one of the other somewhat useful air commanders currently without an army.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 339
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11 - 12/3/2018 3:28:05 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

Sparkley has been the USSR CoS since the beginning of this game. His role is to advise us as to our operations, set strategic direction, and allocate resources to each of the commanders. I am the team manager. My role is to communicate with my team to arrange who goes when and communicate with the other team's manager (also their CoS, Telemecus) on issues of joint interest like when they will be done and who is playing for them. Usually the two roles are combined, but in this case we divided them round about turn 6 for diplomatic reasons that I'm not going to go into. The purpose of the game was to have an experienced player as CoS of each side, with three or four newbies in the operational command role, as a way to train new players. I am certainly not experienced enough to fill that role myself!

As an outsider of this game this is a breath of fresh air statement TheDoctorKing. Thank you TheDoctorKing for the update.

Post #: 340
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:28:21 PM   
thedoctorking

Farther south, the German offensive in the Gomel-Chernigov region seems to have petered out, even though this turn saw a return to good weather there. Instead, 2nd Panzer Group remained north of Gomel, presumably reloading on supplies. Sixth Army launched attacks across the Desna River, gaining tactical victories but not establishing a secure bridgehead. The Kiev region saw several attacks from 17th Army, cutting off the city from the forces behind it but not capturing the city itself. To the south, 17th Army expanded its bridgehead by a couple of hexes. The Germans continued bombing Soviet air bases, suffering about 20 aircraft casualties in attacks against Western Air Command’s bases behind Bryansk.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 341
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:29:10 PM   
thedoctorking

Here, we began a planned withdrawal from the Desna-Dnepr line to shorten our lines and liberate troops for more critical sectors. A small garrison has been left in Kiev to entertain the German attackers, or else to be air supplied until winter comes and we can get them back in contact again. Factory evacuation has been pretty methodical up to this point, but the Axis breakthrough south of the lower Dnepr led us to prioritize evacuation of the Donbass. Bryansk and Ordhonkidzegrad still have their factories, and our 10th Army is trying to stall the Germans in this sector long enough for them to be evacuated.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 342
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:30:06 PM   
thedoctorking

Along the lower Dnepr, Axis forces attacked south across the river below Zaporozhye as we had anticipated last turn. They had more movement than we had anticipated and managed to turn the corner and cross the Molochna, the last natural barrier before Stalino. Once again, Italian troops led the charge – they must really be looking forward to that Crimean wine! Interestingly, there is no sign of interest in the Crimea itself – a few Romanian divisions constitute the entirety of Axis forces south of the armored spearhead towards the Molochna. This region is still very light on German infantry, with Romanians and similar rag-tag and bobtail covering the flanks on both sides and supporting the strike force of 1st Panzer Group.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 343
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:30:48 PM   
thedoctorking

We withdrew behind the Dnepr to limit the chances of a big pocket of Southern Front. We held Zaporozhye with heavy forces since this is the only place their rail can cross the river. If we can keep their railhead on the Dnepr until snow, we might have a chance to hold the Donbass. The forces at the southern end of our line are very weak, consisting mainly of Experience 13 conscripts with low TOEs. All we can hope is that they slow down the Axis advance and burn up movement points. The Axis forces in this area have little infantry support – just two corps of 11th Army plus a variety of Axis minor allies – meaning that we have only the mobile forces of one (reinforced) Panzer Group to worry about. And one corps of that Panzer Group, XIV, is still on the north side of the river between Dnepropetrovsk and Zaporozhye, a good 20 movement points from the schwerpunkt.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 344
RE: Soviet AAR Turn 12 - 12/3/2018 3:31:38 PM   
thedoctorking

Casualties this turn were 103,531 for us and 25,513 for the fascist invaders. Air losses were 179 to 677. Deployed troops are 4,267,112 for us (up 16k from last turn) and 5,018,535 for the Axis (down 10k from last turn) (3,416,152 Germans, down 7k).

I would still say this game is going well for us. The Axis have opportunities in the center and south next turn, but I think we have done everything we can to limit their potential gains. Five more turns might see them through the Stalino region, but I’m not expecting to lose Rostov. In the center, they might be outside Moscow but I’m not expecting them to be in the city. And in the north, I don’t think they are going anywhere.

Post #: 345
Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:44:15 PM   
thedoctorking

Connect 4 Turn 13 AAR

The weather this turn was fine throughout the country. Therefore, there was a lot more action than last turn. We scored some significant victories, but there is still reason for concern, especially in the central theater.

In the north, two German armies launched broad offensives along the whole front. They were supported by the motorized infantry divisions of 4th Panzer Group, and led in the sector north of Pskov, by Germany’s best infantry general, Model. Nevertheless, most of the attacks failed. They did not gain any ground on the Narva front, and we still hold the city and our positions on the left bank of the river. To the east, our reserve units are busily fortifying, meaning that it is unlikely that the fascists will break through here. Farther south, they gained a few hexes north of Pskov under the leadership of Model, but they did not dare to occupy their ground, meaning that next turn they will be in the same positions as they started this turn. Their 16th Army and the motor divisions of 4th PG gained a few hexes to the south in the area between the Polist and Pola Rivers. My tracking sheet is getting pretty monotonous in this region. One thing I did notice when I did the tracking sheet at the beginning of the turn, though – the CV’s of the German units here are pretty much uniformly a few points less than they were on the last good weather turn. Either they had a lot of attrition over the mud turn or the attacks and fatigue are wearing them down at last.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 346
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:47:10 PM   
thedoctorking

In this sector, we stiffened our defenses and took advantage of the relative absence of motorized units to dig in and offer World War One part two. Just in case, there is a backup line along the Plyussa south of Novgorod. There might be a motorized breakthrough between the Polist and Pola Rivers, but it is unlikely (with only four divisions to commit) to cause us serious arm. General Model is welcome to continue his offensives in the Pskov region. If he keeps up much longer, he will have the right to count himself among such military geniuses as Douglas Haig, Alexander von Kluck, and Tsar Nicholas from the last war.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 347
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:48:06 PM   
thedoctorking

The central sector appears to be the principal focus of the Axis side. The armored divisions of 4th Panzer Group have joined the entirety of 3rd Panzer Group in this area. Most of 2nd Panzer Group has come from the south to the vicinity of Smolensk and appears ready to launch an offensive. The “panzerball” made a minor incursion into our positions south of Rzhev but did not press their attack home. It’s possible they are conserving fuel until their friends from the south arrive, or else they are waiting for their infantry support to come up. I have noticed over the last couple of turns that 9th Army’s sector has constricted, and 4th Army, once spread out to the south all the way to Chernigov, is now packed into a smaller area south of Vyazma. What are they planning? Their railhead is right up to Vyazma, so I think that they will be attacking there in hopes of pressing on to Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 348
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:49:14 PM   
thedoctorking

Here, we strengthened our defenses, rescued one isolated division, and awaited the big Axis push. We had sent our Guards divisions to the rear to refit, but with the crisis upon us, we called them back. They still have rear-area positions, but they are positioned to impede any rapid movement of German forces after an armored breakthrough. The big question here is where 2nd Panzer Group will go. They are currently in the vicinity of Smolensk. Are they turning southeast towards Bryansk? Will they hook south of Moscow toward Kaluga? Are they going to go into the main push between Rzhev and Vyazma? Four lines of Soviet armies lie between the fascists and Moscow – which is still full of factories.

To support the struggle in the center, Northern and Southern Theaters extended their areas of operation, permitting Reserve and Western Fronts to concentrate their forces between the panzerball and Moscow.

Oh, and check this out – after a year of doing these AAR’s, I finally figured out how to turn my monitor on its side and get a portrait mode image:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 349
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:50:30 PM   
thedoctorking

A thin line of German infantry confronts a similarly sparse line of Russian infantry and cavalry from south of Vyazma all the way to the Dnepr at Cherkassy. Very little is happening in this sector now that 2nd Panzer Group has returned to Army Group Center control and appears ready to join the panzer ball headed for Moscow.

During this turn, the Germans finally captured Kiev, and so 17th Army is now headed rapidly southeast. They have sent an FBD to this region, approaching across the river at Cherkassy. Looks like they are headed for Kharkov, but by the time they get there the skies will be grey. Medals all around, and good jobs for the children of the heroic defenders of Kiev – at least, those who fought to the end and did not surrender to the fascists.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 350
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:51:31 PM   
thedoctorking

In the southern sector, 1st Panzer Group, reinforced with some 2nd PG units, turned back to surround Zaporozhye. Thanks to the innovative rail repair strategy the Axis has employed in the south in this game, their railhead is up to Zaporozhye, and another FBD is headed down from the Cherkassy crossing towards Dnepropetrovsk. Our tough defense of Zaporozhye has slowed their advancing FBD rail repair unit. They reacted by surrounding the city, hoping to force its surrender. They can’t launch an infantry assault because they don’t have enough infantry in this sector. There are about eight German infantry divisions south of the Cherkassy/Kremenchug region right now. The German armor battered the defenders, while a thin screen of Hungarians and Italians holds the flank to the south. We salivate looking at those weak Axis Ally units, seeing in them an opportunity to score more victories and promote more units to Guards status.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 351
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:52:28 PM   
thedoctorking

As, in fact, we did. A series of successful attacks to the south drove the Hungarians and Italians back and put at least three divisions into the “zone” where Guards promotion is possible (any infantry or cavalry unit in 1941 can be promoted to Guards status if it has at least 5 victories and more victories than defeats – and we have several such units in the south).

At least one corps of German armor in this sector was suspiciously immobile, suggesting a Headquarters Buildup in progress. These units are almost sitting directly on the rail line, so their HQBU costs will be fairly low, both on terms of AP and of Trucks.

We built as strong defenses as we could, though it is clearly possible for 1st Panzer Group to push eastwards towards Stalino. We expect to do our turn 16-17 final fight in that area, and a STAVKA army is already in the area building trenches and training up.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 352
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:53:32 PM   
thedoctorking

Our counter-attack to open the Zaporozhye pocket was an epic one. We managed to destroy or damage 40 fascist tanks and put almost 2,000 fascist soldiers out of action. This is a pretty good outcome for 1941. We sent units from three armies and poured on the support units. Our leader – one of the best – also appears to have made at least one of his rolls.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 353
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:54:27 PM   
thedoctorking

The Romanians did push into the Crimea this turn. Their pressure is no more than an annoyance for us – ultimately, there is little in the Crimea we want, other than the manpower centers. Any reasonable defense force will be able to prevent the Axis from crossing the Kerch Straits. So there is little to be lost here. What there is to be gained is a possible flanking position on the German line during the winter. I have experience with this from a previous game, where I had to give up the eastern Ukraine because of the flanking threat from Crimea. In the Cherkassy to Bryansk sector, we continued a staged withdrawal, aside from a counter-attack that displaced the German FBD north of Cherkassy.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 354
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:55:21 PM   
thedoctorking

Losses this turn were 28,405 Axis to 126,822 for us. Aircraft losses were 755 for us to 196 for the Axis (50 of those were German fighters). Currently deployed manpower is 4,369,567 Soviet (up 102,000 from last turn) to 5,046,716 Axis (3,445,391 German, up 29,000 from last turn).

Post #: 355
RE: Soviet AAR turn 13 - 12/19/2018 2:55:43 PM   
thedoctorking

Post reserved for commentary on turn 13.

< Message edited by thedoctorking -- 12/19/2018 2:56:17 PM >

Post #: 356
RE: Soviet AAR turn 14 - 12/19/2018 2:57:47 PM   
thedoctorking

Connect 4 AAR, Turn 14

Following up on my success with portrait mode images last turn, I made a series of intelligence maps showing the Axis positions with Army sectors and Armor/Motorized division positions marked. The spreadsheet was difficult for my teammates to understand, and probably more difficult for you, my gentle readers. I’m still maintaining it but will not be posting it unless there’s significant demand. Anybody who’s interested can ask me for the spreadsheet. But here are the intel maps, North Theater first. I’m not sure about X Corps in the vicinity of Pskov. It seems odd that they would be under 16th Army and so far from the other corps. It would stranger yet for them to be in 18th Army since that formation would be badly overloaded.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 357
RE: Soviet AAR turn 14 - 12/19/2018 2:58:40 PM   
thedoctorking

Here’s the Center Theater map. The “panzerball” in the Rzhev-Vyazma sector is obvious. The infantry to the south of the panzers’ position could be from 2nd Army, 2nd Panzer Group, or 9th Army or a combination, this is unclear.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 358
RE: Soviet AAR turn 14 - 12/19/2018 2:59:51 PM   
thedoctorking

And to the south, we can see that 17th Army has sent at least a corps south to help 1st Panzer Group southwest of Dnepropetrovsk. North of the Dnepr at Cherkassy, an Axis FBD suggests a desire to push towards Kharkov.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 359
RE: Soviet AAR turn 14 - 12/19/2018 3:03:00 PM   
thedoctorking

The Germans continued attacking in the Northern Theater, clearing a couple of hexes near Pskov but once again refusing to advance. A couple of victories netted us new Guards divisions near Narva and northwest of Pskov. Manstein’s motorized divisions pushed northwards against heavy opposition but no effort was made to penetrate our front. We noticed again this turn that few of the attacks in this sector were supported by artillery. It is possible that the artillery has been concentrated with the panzers. However, if they move any distance from their starting points, they can no longer receive support from their HQ’s for hasty attacks (no SU can be allocated to a hasty attack if the HQ has expended any MP’s). Still it seems an odd choice to make so many infantry attacks with little or no artillery.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviet AAR Turn 11 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI