Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sub Transport challenge

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Sub Transport challenge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sub Transport challenge - 8/24/2018 7:56:53 PM   
olorin42

I'm trying to get some troops out of the Phillipines as they did historically. I can get the cargo to load like Engineering vehicles onto a Sub (does not make any sense) but the people (support, aviation support, naval support, etc) will not load. I have the combat unit in Move mode and the sub is in a Sub Transport task force. I read that loading a few subs at once does not work. I get that was a game design decision but why can the equipment load and not the people - should be the other way around. Any feedback is appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/24/2018 8:08:32 PM   
btd64

A sub only has Cargo space. An SST has cargo and troop space. But still, I would like to see a picture of an engineering vehicle on a sub. Also, only Para units can load on a sub in combat mode. In Vanilla scenarios....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to olorin42)
Post #: 2
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/24/2018 8:15:25 PM   
inqistor

Check table in manual, about submarine load costs. For smallest one, there exist no in-game Allied squad, which fits inside.
For Japan, there is no better, as only HMG IJN squad fits there :)

(in reply to olorin42)
Post #: 3
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/24/2018 8:43:26 PM   
olorin42

I cant find any table that gives load cost info re subs - got a page number?

Now onto the real issue - subs should not really be able to load cargo - at least not much. But they could load personnel. I get the design decision to prevent abuse was made. My question is - how can we control the amount of cargo space a sub gets. I'm looking at the sub classes in the editor and I see the sub has 0 personnel capacity and 0 cargo but in the game it has 24 or 36 or 48 cargo space. What determines that number? I'm trying to use the editor to reduce that cargo space number and add personnel space to make it more realistic. I can add the personnel but i have trouble seeing engineeering vehicles on subs so i want to make that cargo capacity lower or 0.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 4
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/24/2018 9:13:28 PM   
Lowpe

In stock there are 3 subs that can carry troops, they are all your slow ones...14knots? You need first convert them to SST, and then they can only load paratroops squads and loading them is somewhat painful as they need to be in the proper movement mode and docked if I recall.

So, the game doesn't model what you want.

And on Japan, there aren't any SSTs that have troop transport capability.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/24/2018 9:14:03 PM >

(in reply to olorin42)
Post #: 5
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/24/2018 9:16:18 PM   
olorin42

I get that is how the scenarios are set up. I'm trying to make a custom scenario where i give the subs personnel space. That will work fine. My question is - how do i remove / reduce the equipment cargo space the subs get. I can't figure out how to do that in the editor.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/24/2018 9:50:16 PM   
Dili

Fill only troop capacity editor, maybe it will not prevent completely prevent some hard device but it is only option.

(in reply to olorin42)
Post #: 7
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/25/2018 12:12:16 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

Fill only troop capacity editor, maybe it will not prevent completely prevent some hard device but it is only option.

You will find the Troop and cargo caps in the Ship Classes screen, right side column....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 8
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/25/2018 12:52:02 AM   
olorin42

The problem is that US subs have no cargo capacity (except for a few) but they all have the ability to load cargo despite the value in the editor being zero. THat's what I'm trying to figure out - how do they get that cargo capacity which only loads equipment.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 9
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/25/2018 2:09:16 AM   
Lowpe

I don't think you can...you can't overcome the hard coding of troop restriction loads.

(in reply to olorin42)
Post #: 10
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/25/2018 5:56:18 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: olorin42

The problem is that US subs have no cargo capacity (except for a few) but they all have the ability to load cargo despite the value in the editor being zero. THat's what I'm trying to figure out - how do they get that cargo capacity which only loads equipment.

I am pretty sure any sub can carry supply when they are in a Sub Transport TF, but they leave behind some torpedoes to do so. As Lowpe indicated, carrying troops and equipment is very limited. AFAIK on the Allied side only Argonaut, Nautilus and Narwhal in SST configuration can do it. Paratroops in Combat mode, all other troops in Move mode.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to olorin42)
Post #: 11
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/25/2018 8:00:31 AM   
Yaab

I wish the subs were hard-coded to pickup support squads only. Thus, inf squads/devices stay put and fight. If their unit gets destroyed, you could recreate it on-map from the officers/clerks (supprt squads) evacuated by subs.

EDIT: Or alternatively, a sub can pickup any inf squad , provided the squad is DISABLED ( this simulates evacuating wounded). When no disabled squad is present, the sub loads a SUPPORT SQUAD. If no suppport squad is present, the code checks if any inf/support squad is present at all in the hex. If yes, then the sub waits and the cycle repeats next turn. If no, the sub departs home.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 8/25/2018 8:09:24 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/25/2018 2:10:08 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: olorin42

I cant find any table that gives load cost info re subs - got a page number?

Check table 6.3.2.5. Submarines use Modifier for Troops in Cargo Space equal 12 (for Allies). So, every load point of squad, takes 12 points of Submarine Capacity. And smallest squad on map is something like 10 men, which means you need 120 capacity to fit single squad onboard.
Japan have modifier equal to 6, so they can fit there one squad type :)

(in reply to olorin42)
Post #: 13
RE: Sub Transport challenge - 8/25/2018 3:13:15 PM   
btd64

As mentioned, there are 3 allied subs that can upgrade to SST's. If you want more, just duplicate and change the names. Change the captians as well....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Sub Transport challenge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI