Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map to repair

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map to repair Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map to r... - 9/27/2018 2:49:51 PM   
Saulust

How do you get HQs to actually use their Rail Road Contruction SUs to deploy and repair damaged rail lines next to the railheads. I don't know exactly how this is done, I have been going mad watching them just sit turn after turn in their HQs while the Front HQ itself has Armies 20 hexes forward from the rail heads and there are multiple damaged rail lines that have been free of the enemy for many turns and nothing is being done by them.

I am especially looking at SW Front still with Kirponos in Command which is West of Lvov which has all of its 4 starting Armies far into Poland while it has damaged rails from Koval to Rovno to Lvov & borders sitting there on the connected rail line at Lisko - Sambor with 4 RR Constrution Brigades in it sitting still! Some others are working all of their RaRa's such as STAVKA and in NW Front, West Front & Reserve/Kalinin Front, but none in others like Bryansk, North & South Fronts.

I can't see why some are choosing to deploy all their rail repairs while other are not deploying any at all, since the Generals leading them have similar skill ratings such as Initiative & Admin for both who is and who is not placing their RR on the map extending the Soviet rail net.

Only thing I'm going to do is move the non-working ones from the HQs that don't use them to the ones that do and up to STAVKA, while only building more in STAVKA. I do similar with Axis, mainly moving them up to OKH, etc.

Does anyone else have better ideas?

< Message edited by Saulust -- 9/27/2018 4:40:03 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/27/2018 5:17:16 PM   
Kielec

In my Axis game I didn't have any problem with that. As long as an HQ was sitting on an undamaged and supplied (attached to the network) rail hex, and there were any damaged ones within range (5 hexes for Axis Army HQ; don't remember how it grows further up the chain of command, but it does so substantially) and next to a connected hex, the HQ would spit out all it had. I was spending a lot of time micromanaging that. I hated to see any "not on map" construction units, unless it was time and place to dig-in fast...

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/27/2018 5:34:55 PM   
Saulust

I thought Axis Armies had a range of 15 hexes, while Corps have only 5 for their SU RR Construction repairs to get on map!

Besides I am asking primarily in relation to Soviet Front HQs, so as you allude higher up from Army, also as I indicated I do for the Axis as you too micro-wise, still anyway general advice would be greatly appreciated.

< Message edited by Saulust -- 9/27/2018 6:45:47 PM >

(in reply to Kielec)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/27/2018 7:38:55 PM   
Kielec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saulust

I thought Axis Armies had a range of 15 hexes, while Corps have only 5 for their SU RR Construction repairs to get on map!

I stand corrected. Of course it's 5 for Axis Corps! Just playing as Soviets erases the concept of a Corps from your head...
Not much help on your Soviet action from here - too early for me to dream about planning to rebuild any RR, but I will be following up closely for future reference. I did see a RR repair unit deploy from a Soviet Army HQ once, though. Just like for them Germans: a recovered hex, not in enemy ZOC, 2 hexes from the Army HQ (which was standing on the second last usable piece of Soviet rail.

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/28/2018 4:45:52 AM   
Saulust

TBH Kielec I would also like to know why some German HQs what ever level also don't deploy their SU RR Contuction repair SUs when they are on a rail line and damaged rail line hexes are within range next to the railhead too, since also some seem to use theirs while others don't, especially for AGS on T2!

I clear absolutely all border rail hexes and the hexes next to them and prevent Soviets from moving back including even the Byalistock Pocket before I destroy them on T2. I'm fanatical about clearing the railway not just for the FBD units but for the SU RR Construction Battalions, so why don't their HQs that could deploy them immediately on T2 FFS!

< Message edited by Saulust -- 9/28/2018 4:53:06 AM >

(in reply to Kielec)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/28/2018 12:56:41 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

How do you get HQs to actually use their Rail Road Contruction SUs to deploy and repair damaged rail lines next to the railheads. I don't know exactly how this is done, I have been going mad watching them just sit turn after turn in their HQs while the Front HQ itself has Armies 20 hexes forward from the rail heads and there are multiple damaged rail lines that have been free of the enemy for many turns and nothing is being done by them.

I am especially looking at SW Front still with Kirponos in Command which is West of Lvov which has all of its 4 starting Armies far into Poland while it has damaged rails from Koval to Rovno to Lvov & borders sitting there on the connected rail line at Lisko - Sambor with 4 RR Constrution Brigades in it sitting still! Some others are working all of their RaRa's such as STAVKA and in NW Front, West Front & Reserve/Kalinin Front, but none in others like Bryansk, North & South Fronts.

I can't see why some are choosing to deploy all their rail repairs while other are not deploying any at all, since the Generals leading them have similar skill ratings such as Initiative & Admin for both who is and who is not placing their RR on the map extending the Soviet rail net.

Only thing I'm going to do is move the non-working ones from the HQs that don't use them to the ones that do and up to STAVKA, while only building more in STAVKA. I do similar with Axis, mainly moving them up to OKH, etc.

Does anyone else have better ideas?

What turn is this happening on?

(Because until Dec 41 the Soviets aren't going to repair any rail hex within 5 hexes of a German unit)

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 6
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/28/2018 1:03:55 PM   
Kielec

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

What turn is this happening on?

(Because until Dec 41 the Soviets aren't going to repair any rail hex within 5 hexes of a German unit)

Carramba! 14.2.2.1!
Thanks HLYA!

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 7
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/28/2018 2:47:31 PM   
Saulust

Carramba what?

I'm on T17 as Soviets 1941-45 GC, Sudden Death, Normal, Art plus 1, SU plus 1 reduced Blizzard effects and no Soviet combat bonuses.

Um I've had Soviet SU RR Construction Brigades repair rail line hexes as close as two away from German Divisions, including stacks of 2 Panzer Divisions and triple stacks of mixed German Divisions, although all were cut off and had been for several turns, so not prevented within 5 in these cases.

On T15 I finished off the pocket battle of Minsk & Yuratishi which eliminated Panzer Group 3 and parts of 2 while on T16 I finished off the rest of Panzer Group 2 in pocket battles of Slutch & Baranovichi and in the greater Rovno area the last of Panzer Group 1.

At Minsk on the start of T12 there was the 29th Motorised Division just NE of the city (Hex X69, Y56) and the railway was being repaired from the Berezina at Smolevichi town Hex by a West Front RR Construction Brigade to Minsk at Hex (X71, Y56) so within 2 hexes range. But while both Minsk itself and the hex East of it (Hex X67, Y57) were undamaged they still seemed to wait a while after that turn (T12) when I pushed 29 Mot Div back west one hex onto a triple stack hex NW of Minsk which included two Panzer Divisions, 4th & 12th IIRC and only just just re-connected the line on T15 there in the hex west of Smolevichi with this time a Romanian RR Construction Battalion Hex (X70, Y56), so again within 2 hexes range of the German stack at NW of Minsk hex (X68, Y56). This Romanian RR Battalion from 3rd Rom Army was also 5 hexes range from a triple stack in the Hex East of the town of Slutch (Hex X68, 61) unless the 5 hex thing doesn't work on flipped Romanian RR Btlns.

At Baranovichi there was a two Panzer Division (10th & 18th Pz Divs) stack just SW of the town in Hex (X62, Y62) while for a few turns the rail line was repaired very near it starting from Gantsevichi town hex on T11 (Hex X65, 64) 4 hexes away from double PzDs, then 3 range away on T12 in hex NW of Gantsevichi in them light trees, then 2 hexes away in the town hex of Lyakhovichi on T13 and again 2 away on T14 at the angled T junction clear hex NW of Lyakhovichi. I have checked each and this was all done by West Front RR Constuction Brigades only (4th & 29th RR Bgds) no Romanians here in this region at all.

On T16 within both 2 & 3 hexes range of divisional stacks just East and SE of the town of Slutch hex there are RR Contruction Brigdes repairing the lines, before I destroy them and the two PzDs SW of Baranovichi, PzG 2 RIP.

Now I wish I could say the same as this about the SW Front area, but I can't, nada, nilch by them! I held out at the rough hex of town Lisko from T1 and the rail line to it from Sambor and SE towards Stanislav, also on the rough hex at Nikolaev two hexes south of Lvov, so looking at some of the damaged rail hex around here they have been from 10 to now 17 hexes away from German Divisions, and still no repairs anywhere here, with SW Front having four RR Construction Brigades in it at start of T17 and two in it start of T16! Luckily I held out around Kovel, even got pocketed, that I broke through to so that at least all the repairing the West Front and Reserve/Kalinin Front have done in and from the forward edge of the marshes has now extended the line one hex NW & SW of the town of Kovel. My railnet is four damaged hexes away from Breast-Litovsk with a West Front RR Construction Bgd at Drogchin (Hex X56, Y68) but I have just managed to be successful in storming from six sides and eliminated the 37 CV 267th German Infantry Division in B-L on this turn, T17.

In the greater or in this case lesser Rovno pocket area no SW Front rail repair have taken place yet either and I destroyed PzG 1 here last turn, what remains of AGS is behind and cut off beyond the Vistula!

But OTOH in the NW Front sector there are two RR Construction Brigades that have been repairing the railway within 2 & 4 hexes away from German Divisions and stacks of Divisions that appeared on T17, but there were earlier repairs that were carried out here earlier that were danger close too!

While all these examples are of German Divisions that were cut off I do remember earlier in this very game when a Soviet RR Construction Brigade repaired a railway hex only 2 or 3 hexes from supplied German Divisions just NE of Riga, when I managed to push back AGN from cutting off my Riga stalwarts, I'll check later though too be sure, but it was way earlier, well before I captured Memel on T12 and flipped the remaining Axis railnet behind AGN and basically won the game it feels, Urrah!

< Message edited by Saulust -- 9/28/2018 5:07:39 PM >

(in reply to Kielec)
Post #: 8
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/28/2018 5:17:13 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Carramba what?

I'm on T17 as Soviets 1941-45 GC, Sudden Death, Normal, Art plus 1, SU plus 1 reduced Blizzard effects and no Soviet combat bonuses.

Um I've had Soviet SU RR Construction Brigades repair rail line hexes as close as two away from German Divisions, including stacks of 2 Panzer Divisions and triple stacks of mixed German Divisions, although all were cut off and had been for several turns, so not prevented within 5 in these cases.

On T15 I finished off the pocket battle of Minsk & Yuratishi which eliminated Panzer Group 3 and parts of 2 while on T16 I finished off the rest of Panzer Group 2 in pocket battles of Slutch & Baranovichi and in the greater Rovno area the last of Panzer Group 1.

At Minsk on the start of T12 there was the 29th Motorised Division just NE of the city (Hex X69, Y56) and the railway was being repaired from the Berezina at Smolevichi town Hex by a West Front RR Construction Brigade to Minsk at Hex (X71, Y56) so within 2 hexes range. But while both Minsk itself and the hex East of it (Hex X67, Y57) were undamaged they still seemed to wait a while after that turn (T12) when I pushed 29 Mot Div back west one hex onto a triple stack hex NW of Minsk which included two Panzer Divisions, 4th & 12th IIRC and only just just re-connected the line on T15 there in the hex west of Smolevichi with this time a Romanian RR Construction Battalion Hex (X70, Y56), so again within 2 hexes range of the German stack at NW of Minsk hex (X68, Y56). This Romanian RR Battalion from 3rd Rom Army was also 5 hexes range from a triple stack in the Hex East of the town of Slutch (Hex X68, 61) unless the 5 hex thing doesn't work on flipped Romanian RR Btlns.

At Baranovichi there was a two Panzer Division (10th & 18th Pz Divs) stack just SW of the town in Hex (X62, Y62) while for a few turns the rail line was repaired very near it starting from Gantsevichi town hex on T11 (Hex X65, 64) 4 hexes away from double PzDs, then 3 range away on T12 in hex NW of Gantsevichi in them light trees, then 2 hexes away in the town hex of Lyakhovichi on T13 and again 2 away on T14 at the angled T junction clear hex NW of Lyakhovichi. I have checked each and this was all done by West Front RR Constuction Brigades only (4th & 29th RR Bgds) no Romanians here in this region at all.

On T16 within both 2 & 3 hexes range of divisional stacks just East and SE of the town of Slutch hex there are RR Contruction Brigdes repairing the lines, before I destroy them and the two PzDs SW of Baranovichi, PzG 2 RIP.

Now I wish I could say the same as this about the SW Front area, but I can't, nada, nilch by them! I held out at the rough hex of town Lisko from T1 and the rail line to it from Sambor and SE towards Stanislav, also on the rough hex at Nikolaev two hexes south of Lvov, so looking at some of the damaged rail hex around here they have been from 10 to now 17 hexes away from German Divisions, and still no repairs anywhere here, with SW Front having four RR Construction Brigades in it at start of T17 and two in it start of T16! Luckily I held out around Kovel, even got pocketed, that I broke through to so that at least all the repairing the West Front and Reserve/Kalinin Front have done in and from the forward edge of the marshes has now extended the line one hex NW & SW of the town of Kovel. My railnet is four damaged hexes away from Breast-Litovsk with a West Front RR Construction Bgd at Drogchin (Hex X56, Y68) but I have just managed to be successful in storming from six sides and eliminated the 37 CV 267th German Infantry Division in B-L on this turn, T17.

In the greater or in this case lesser Rovno pocket area no SW Front rail repair have taken place yet either and I destroyed PzG 1 here last turn, what remains of AGS is behind and cut off beyond the Vistula!

But OTOH in the NW Front sector there are two RR Construction Brigades that have been repairing the railway within 2 & 4 hexes away from German Divisions and stacks of Divisions that appeared on T17, but there were earlier repairs that were carried out here earlier that were danger close too!

While all these examples are of German Divisions that were cut off I do remember earlier in this very game when a Soviet RR Construction Brigade repaired a railway hex only 2 or 3 hexes from supplied German Divisions just NE of Riga, when I managed to push back AGN from cutting off my Riga stalwarts, I'll check later though too be sure, but it was way earlier, well before I captured Memel on T12 and flipped the remaining Axis railnet behind AGN and basically won the game it feels, Urrah!

Hmmmm, interesting. You have some pictures of this? Are you on current patch?

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 9
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/28/2018 6:01:12 PM   
Saulust

Yes I have saves and yes I'm on current patch, can't post pics yet though, BTW let me finish T17, um sorry I should finish T17 myself first I suppose...

I plan to do my own AAR with this currect game as USSR since so many interesting things have happened such as flipping Romania so early and its effects, making Hungaria & Slovakia surrender, not being able to advance into Bulgaria or Yugoslavia as Soviets in 1941, flipping the Axis railnet behind AGN when capturing Memel, etc...

I've been surprised at how well I as the Soviets have gone against the AI TBH, I chose Sudden Death because that is what I expected for myself after retreating badly not the other way around now 12 hexes from Berlin T17, but repairing my reclaimed Soviet railnet, sheesh!

Also I can't type correct.ly (yet another frigging edit, bah) while drunk on vodka...

< Message edited by Saulust -- 9/28/2018 6:35:38 PM >

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 10
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/29/2018 12:11:31 AM   
Kielec

Well, I'll be the first to dig into that AAR!

On the game side though, it's either the Manual is BSing us (the 14.2.2.1 pointed out by HLYA), or there are... nuances? Like that cut off German units do not count for the 5 hexes. Or German Rail Repair units don't. Or German (Axis?) Security Units don't. Or German Regiments don't. Or Axis units beyond the 25 MP off the railhead don't. Or something.

Either way, an issue to be looked into by them Devs? Perhaps a bug?

And at any rate, the RR repair units deployment, whether Axis, or Soviet, does seem to be a bit unclear. Quite possibly, since these are, basically, construction units, an urge to dig trenches prohibits (some of?) them from switching the rails to whatever gauge is ordered by the Commissar??

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 11
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/29/2018 12:47:56 AM   
Saulust

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kielec
On the game side though, it's either the Manual is BSing us (the 14.2.2.1 pointed out by HLYA), or there are... nuances? Like that cut off German units do not count for the 5 hexes. Or German Rail Repair units don't. Or German (Axis?) Security Units don't. Or German Regiments don't. Or Axis units beyond the 25 MP off the railhead don't. Or something.

Either way, an issue to be looked into by them Devs? Perhaps a bug?

And at any rate, the RR repair units deployment, whether Axis, or Soviet, does seem to be a bit unclear. Quite possibly, since these are, basically, construction units, an urge to dig trenches prohibits (some of?) them from switching the rails to whatever gauge is ordered by the Commissar??

No as I described I faced full German Divisions in every case, I've only seen one broken down German Infantry Division this game, other than the two of LXIII Korps 9th Army, which the AI recombined in a few turns. There were German Sec Divisions around, but they were on the line next to other German Divisions including Pz Divs, mostly gave me opertunities to pick on them with Soviet attacks though in AGN area - but what happened to them is another story, lets say a teleporting vanishing trick from pockets by the ones I hadn't destroyed yet!

I might have to check when and under what exact circumstances that earlier repair close to supplied AGN NE of Riga occurred.

A bug, bloody hope not mate!

Yes something about it is unclear, that is why I am asking the question. However with regards as to whether the RR Construction Bgds were assisting in digging forts, instead of repairing the railways, no they are sitting still in the Front HQs. My fighting style this game has been to get everything on the front, either in contact with the Axis or on manoeuvre around them, so I don't think my Soviet RR Bgds have had much allowance to be diverted to digging instead of repairing this game. Also my first advances were in the South! So SW Front WTF?

< Message edited by Saulust -- 9/29/2018 12:49:44 AM >

(in reply to Kielec)
Post #: 12
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 9/29/2018 4:03:53 PM   
thedoctorking

I think what you need to do is put them into Army HQ's instead of Fronts. Put the Army on the functioning rail line and the units will go out as much as 5 hexes forward. And they won't do it until winter comes (not exactly sure of the turn).

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 13
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/2/2018 12:35:51 PM   
Saulust

Nah, I can't really put my Soviet RR Construction Brigade SUs into Russian Army HQ, since there is only one Army as close as 3 Hexes range to only one damaged Railway hex and 4 hexes range to another both next to my Railhead at Lisko but this HQ (9th Army) is going to move several hexes West beyond 5 hexes range in this muddy T18!

The next two near HQs are also in Poland 7 and 11 hexes away from other damaged rail line hexes beside railheads and also are going to advance farther West towards the Vistula as well. My 4 SW Front Army HQs are over the Vistula... and yet still SW Front which I left in Lisko, with still 2 RR Cont. Bgds in it doing nothing with about 20 damaged Rail hexes from south of Kovel to Galati waiting to be repaired.

I used 8 AP to remove 8 non-deploying RR Const. Bgds from North (Leningrad), Bryansk, South and SW Fronts sending them to STAVKA and built 4 more in NW & West Fronts at end of T17. ALL of these deployed to repair the railways along with their others present!

Where have I needed the Railway repaired the most - from Lisko on course where SW Front is situated unmoved for several turns with RaRas not doing anything!

The closest German unit to Lisko is a fully surrounded triple stack of one Mtn (4th Gebirgsjager) and 2 Light (100 & 101 Jager) Divisions 13 hexes away north east of Krakow. The German front line such that it is... is across the Ode River over 18+ Hexes away, at least that is German controlled hexes at start of T18.

So it seems that SW Front just doesn't choose to place its RR Constuction Brigades on the map to repair - so I'll have to remove the last two it has now so these can be used by STAVKA on the next turn.

< Message edited by Saulust -- 10/2/2018 12:36:44 PM >

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 14
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/10/2018 3:40:35 PM   
Saulust

OK now, OOOHHH I think I have discovered the problem, which may be a bug in my GC Sudden Death Scenario as Soviets, I am going to call it the Soviet Y75 & lower damaged rail repair bug, I hope that sounds clear enough!

So I've played through a few more turns as Soviets in this current game, in which I have this non rail repair in South-West Front region issue and I've realised that nothing is being repaired from the line of hexes Y75 & down, so right along from Chlem west & Kovel east all the way south to the Black Sea.

I had STAVKA filled up with RR Repair Cont. Bgds and Construction Btns, as well as West, SW, Kalinin & South Front HQ too, positioned in the area but no go, even with loads of them spare with nothing to repair, the nearest Germans are 25 hexes West!!!

(Also in my game I found that I had earlier actually placed the 1st RR Repair Construction Brigade into the south's 9th Army, so for the whole time from when I flipped Romania and it killed off the 11th Army on the Romanian border, near damaged rail hexes there and then after it moved up to the mini Rovno pocket incursion of the 1st Panzer Group and eliminated 1st PzG, then hence while it moved west of Lvov not repairing any single damaged rail hex the whole time FFS! )

I decided to do a Human verses Human test play check from the start of a fresh of GC Sudden Death and pulled the Germans (& Hungarian et al.) back on first two turns and moved the Soviets forwards for the first 3 turns Lock my HQs and buy Soviet Construction Btlns.

Y75 and down nothing is RR repaired, with similar to my game stacks of RR & Const. Bgds/Btlns sitting still in their HQs, be they STAVKA, Front, Army and even Corps HQs deployed in positions on the border covering this South-West damaged rail area, while north of Lublin is all repaired.

EDIT Umm, if not a Y75 bug does anybody know if this was an anti-exploit barrier implementation or else some possible 'fix' workaround here or is this WAD?

< Message edited by Saulust -- 10/10/2018 4:20:05 PM >

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 15
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/10/2018 8:25:48 PM   
Kielec

Nah, Comrade. No bug Y75.

At least not in my experience. Check the screenshot.

I have, however, experienced a number of issues of the kind that bug you. The solution I've found, was not to move the HQs with them repair units! For whatever reason they seem to need to stay still for a turn and then they spill out the RR units.
It would seem it is some sort of a supply-related thing. No clue what exactly, though.

Hope this helps.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 16
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/11/2018 12:13:17 AM   
Saulust

Oh I am very sorry about it in my game, but YES I have a Y75 RaRa bug, definately.

As I have described in both my big game and in my minimal play testing check that I did for about a dozen turns where I placed the HQs all on the rail line border hexes or very near to them with RR & Const in them on T2 and I left them there for ten turns sitting still, my starting army had advanced for the first 3 turns, after I withdrew those frozen German units like Lehr and those AGS units near Nowy Sacz and the Hungarians back 150kms. Every rail hex north of Lublin repaired, but nothing, not a thing south of there.

My HQs were still, the RaRas & heaps of Const Btlns (like 50 of them) were sitting still in those HQs for ten or more turns...

I see your screenie Kielec thanks and I've had a look at my current game and I noticed one Romanian hex was possibly repaired, the bottom most non connecting border town of Tulcea hex (X71, Y117) I'll just have to double check on my other PC for what happened when I made Romania surrender, but anyway may be this Y75 bug could be like a zone ban thing which would have allowed your repair of Mironovka (X83, Y86)!

< Message edited by Saulust -- 10/11/2018 3:00:53 AM >

(in reply to Kielec)
Post #: 17
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/12/2018 11:44:34 PM   
Kielec

To be honest, you seem to be playing a different game from mine, but that's not much of a point.

A point, however, may be buried in your statement, that you have, as you say, "heaps" of them RR and construction units in the HQs in question. Perhaps those "heaps" are using so much supplies just "standing still" that they have not much left to deploy?

Just a thought.

I have realised recently, that my HQs were clearly overloaded with support units - all too many of them RR and them crazy sapper/engineering brigades. Still, on my turn 29 as Soviets (faaaar away from Nowy Sacz and those areas), the RR units seem to be deploying to my enjoyment all over the map.

Good luck!

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 18
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/13/2018 7:34:54 PM   
Saulust

I have tried it with sufficient numbers of RaRas and with overkill in tests, I have just got into T22 as Soviets and yes Y75 bugged again. At least the railhead has finished up to & into the fortress city of Breast-Litovsk while I destroy 35ish German Divisions and almost half a dozen Italians this turn, although only one wasn't a shell on the front line which is... next to Liegnitz no hang on right above that, just 4 hexes directly above the city of Breslau where 26th Army HQ is in supply from Danzig, so from B-L the German MLR is 30 hexes away!

The worst thing is I didn't 'capture' an intact line connecting with Romania when I flipped it from Axis to Allies T7 IIRC which I should have done, but silly me I just had to go on a complete offensive down there and damaged all connections, plus the only remaining one I missed had Infantry Divisions of the 11th Army move onto or next to it and ZOC it out.

(I don't think the AI knew the effect of that sabotage., although my revenge was swift and the 7 or 6 remaining IDs of the 11th Army were eliminate by T9. )

< Message edited by Saulust -- 10/13/2018 7:37:37 PM >

(in reply to Kielec)
Post #: 19
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/26/2018 6:35:38 PM   
Saulust

Meant to post earlier, I checked the earlier saves of this game I'm claiming has this Y75 bug and yes that RR Construction Bgd I put into the 9th Army of South Front did repair that southern most unconnected town hex railway on T7, I captured Bucharest on T8 and no more RaRa was repaired from Kovel down. I may have a corrupted game or something that might be an explanation. I am on T24 now so I will see how it goes but I will test other version start games soon to see if it it just my copy with Sudden Death or all of them.

I should point out I am on 2 PCs each with my copy of Steam derived WITE installed, the first an I7 Windows 7, the 2nd a W10 on a octo-core R7 which I copied the game save turn to recently T19 IIRC, but I'll do some more checking and may be I'll do a clean re-install of WITE again to see if that's a fix - after I finally finish this current game... soonish!

< Message edited by Saulust -- 10/26/2018 6:40:58 PM >

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 20
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/27/2018 12:13:08 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

Besides I am asking primarily in relation to Soviet Front HQs, so as you allude higher up from Army, also as I indicated I do for the Axis as you too micro-wise, still anyway general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Automatic repair range is based on the Command range of the HQ it is attached too. There is no range restriction for manual repair other than the movement points the RR repair unit has left after it has moved.

(in reply to Saulust)
Post #: 21
RE: Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map ... - 10/28/2018 7:05:42 AM   
Saulust

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

Automatic repair range is based on the Command range of the HQ it is attached too. There is no range restriction for manual repair other than the movement points the RR repair unit has left after it has moved.

Um, I am not sure if your response follows what I am talking about, TBH. Or I'm reading it wrong!

I thought that it was perfectly clear in my earlier post that I am referring exclusively to non FBD Rail road re-construction/repair units, so not those that you can handle manually as you point out Chris21wen which go to where you as the player want regardless of HQ attachment range because you control their movement point expenditure, etc.

The subject of the thread is really in regards to those that 'appear' in the next damaged railway line hex next to your railheads which you see at 0-0 at the start of your turn if, if automatically they have been deployed since the AI handles these HQ based Soviet RR Construction/repair Bgds and others similar like Construction Rgmts and Btlns that also do railway line repairs - but yes these are only able to be deployed within the range of the HQ they are attached to unless they can't be in which case they just sit still there in the HQ and show up just like other kinds of SU in the attached list.

That was what I was trying to avoid here but alas I seem to have a sub-Y75 bug or corrupted game which isn't allowing any RaRa repair from the hex row Y75 inclusive down in my game, hence my frustration at seeing so many not deploy and not working, literally! (At least I figure out I have a Y75 bugged game, but boy you try to hold on to Viena with your closest railhead at Lisko during snowy winter and worse the mud!)

I was also not sure if the admin &/or the initiative skill levels of the HQs Commander matter, but AFAIK I don't think it does. I do however find that the best HQ place holder home for RR Construction Bgds is STAVKA, as others suggest elsewhere OKH for the Axis, whose range is 90 hexes, I think, so better than anything below because even Fronts seem to have a short enough range that they don't get to always deploy them, but STAVKA can usually manage to do so with all of them after I re-assign non-deploying RaRas up top.

My experience is that STAVKA/OKH HQ seems to pretty much always deploy their attached RaRa 'SUs' where ever it can or needs to, which is better than having them placed in Front/AG HQs or lower.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Getting HQs to use their RR Construction SU on map to repair Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI