Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Some questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Some questions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Some questions - 11/4/2018 5:06:02 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin
quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin
The problem seems to be that you can disband 1000 ships in very low level ports and make them immune from naval search and especially enemy surface forces.

It's not a problem. It's a feature.

It's a problem because it's a feature.

Yes, it would be nice to have some limit on how much tonnage you can disband in a low level port, given the limitations in SCTF/airgroup behavior. I'm not holding my breath though.
Also, if disbanded ships in port are relatively safe should depend more on geography than port level. There can be a well-secluded harbor where you are invisible from the sea. Or a jungle coming right up to the water, so crew can camouflage a ship. So it is another base data layer.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 31
RE: Some questions - 11/4/2018 5:08:32 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Not quite certain I have understood fully your question so this may not be on point.

1. In game terms a ship can be located in only two places. Either within a Task Force or disbanded inside a port.

2. A Task Force can only be attacked by a squadron tasked with the "Naval Attack" mission. Targets for this mission are chosen by the computer.

3. A ship disbanded inside a port can only be attacked by a squadron tasked with the "Port Attack" mission. As this mission is primarily focussed on a terrestrial target, the target can be chosen by the player. The attacking aircraft focus on port facilities first with attacking disbanded ships a secondary consideration.

4. When the game was initially released, only the devs could assign varying bomb loadouts based on type of mission. A couple of years after release this capability was greatly simplified and opened up for modders. In the intervening time and subsequently there was no code rewrite to accommodate verying loadouts for "Port Attack" missions.

5. The clear design intention is found on page 150 of the manual where it is clearly stated that Port Attacks use only bombs whereas Naval Attack uses both bombs and torpedoes.

One does not drop torpedoes to destroy fuel farms, or damage shipyards and wharfs. Consequently the default position is that aircraft on a "Port Attack" mission use bombs. There would be howls of protest if 100 bombers, carrying only torpedoes on a "Port Attack" mission, found no disbanded ships but proceeded to destroy the port facilities or alternatively returned to base without attacking at all because no ships were found.

Alfred

Thank you - if you didn't understand my question fully, your answer made me understand the problem. So, to be reasonably sure
to get at all ships in a port one should sortie simultaneous different attacks with both "naval, port" and "port" missions.
Or thrust that a single "naval, port" mission - loaded with torpedoes (and bombs loaded by the game) takes care of both.

Since you used the word "docked" earlier I suppose undocked (anchored) task forces are eligible to attacks by torpedo-loaded
planes, but a docked (or disbanded) task force are not.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 32
RE: Some questions - 11/4/2018 6:03:44 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leandros

quote:

Not quite certain I have understood fully your question so this may not be on point.

1. In game terms a ship can be located in only two places. Either within a Task Force or disbanded inside a port.

2. A Task Force can only be attacked by a squadron tasked with the "Naval Attack" mission. Targets for this mission are chosen by the computer.

3. A ship disbanded inside a port can only be attacked by a squadron tasked with the "Port Attack" mission. As this mission is primarily focussed on a terrestrial target, the target can be chosen by the player. The attacking aircraft focus on port facilities first with attacking disbanded ships a secondary consideration.

4. When the game was initially released, only the devs could assign varying bomb loadouts based on type of mission. A couple of years after release this capability was greatly simplified and opened up for modders. In the intervening time and subsequently there was no code rewrite to accommodate verying loadouts for "Port Attack" missions.

5. The clear design intention is found on page 150 of the manual where it is clearly stated that Port Attacks use only bombs whereas Naval Attack uses both bombs and torpedoes.

One does not drop torpedoes to destroy fuel farms, or damage shipyards and wharfs. Consequently the default position is that aircraft on a "Port Attack" mission use bombs. There would be howls of protest if 100 bombers, carrying only torpedoes on a "Port Attack" mission, found no disbanded ships but proceeded to destroy the port facilities or alternatively returned to base without attacking at all because no ships were found.

Alfred

Thank you - if you didn't understand my question fully, your answer made me understand the problem. So, to be reasonably sure
to get at all ships in a port one should sortie simultaneous different attacks with both "naval, port" and "port" missions.
Or thrust that a single "naval, port" mission - loaded with torpedoes (and bombs loaded by the game) takes care of both.

Since you used the word "docked" earlier I suppose undocked (anchored) task forces are eligible to attacks by torpedo-loaded
planes, but a docked (or disbanded) task force are not.

Fred

"Naval, Port" is an either/or situation. If no TF ships are found to attack in the morning phase, the port attack can occur (weather permitting, etc.) in the afternoon phase. So setting the squadron loadout to torpedoes before the turn runs does not mean you get a mix of torpedoes and bombs during the port attack; the game will switch to bombs for the whole squadron to conduct the port attack. And, of course, if the morning sees a naval attack strike but the range is too far for torps you will see bombs used then too.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 33
RE: Some questions - 11/4/2018 6:06:10 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

Care to nominate the real world instances of aircraft dropping torpedoes on docked ships? This was an extremely rare occurrence in WWII. For very sound military reasons.

Really, Alfred? You read much about the Pacific War and/or WW2 in general?

Operation Hailstone saw US torpedo bombers hit Truk Lagoon extensively with torpedoes.

British attack on Italian Fleet docked in Taranto were torpedoes.

There were others, so before being so flippant educate yourself on WW2

I'm pretty sure that at both Taranto and Truk the ships were not docked and behind torpedo nets, but moored out in the harbour roadstead. In the case of Truk, the "lagoon" was something like 100 miles wide and there were ships scattered all over it, presumably delivering to the many islands that make up the atoll. There are likely lots of deep areas too, just beyond where the ships were anchored. The Japanese did not prepare for the torpedo attack because they presumed Truk was untouchable.

Docked=In Port as far as this game goes. I can't hit Japanese ****s in port at Truk, docked or not.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Some questions - 11/4/2018 6:07:38 PM   
Rusty1961

And the American BBs at Pearl weren't any where near "Docked" as opposed to sitting at anchor just like the ships at Truk were.

I think the USS Tennessee was an exception being in dry dock.

Truk was not "shallow" water port either. I dove those ships in '94, went into the engine room of a sunk Japanese AK via the hole made by a Mk 13 torpedo. Ship sits in about 100 feet.

< Message edited by Rusty1961 -- 11/4/2018 6:09:07 PM >

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 35
RE: Some questions - 11/4/2018 6:12:10 PM   
Leandros

quote:

"Naval, Port" is an either/or situation. If no TF ships are found to attack in the morning phase, the port attack can occur (weather permitting, etc.) in the afternoon phase. So setting the squadron loadout to torpedoes before the turn runs does not mean you get a mix of torpedoes and bombs during the port attack; the game will switch to bombs for the whole squadron to conduct the port attack. And, of course, if the morning sees a naval attack strike but the range is too far for torps you will see bombs used then too.

I'm getting the picture now. Thank you.

Fred

Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 36
RE: Some questions - 11/4/2018 8:09:22 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

quote:

...To return to the actual question. If I get a confirmation that the attackng planes can carry torpedoes (naval, port and
a marked port confirms that) - is it to say that not all of the dispatched planes shall carry torpedoes, but bombs instead?
I mean, is the game taking this decision on its own? If so, one might as well specify bombs and use "port" attack.

What is the difference between "Naval, port" and "Port" attack?

Fred

Alfred

The correct response would have been,"Thanks, I didn't know that!" Instead of engaging in CYA.

But intellectual honesty isn't your forte now, is it?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 37
RE: Some questions - 11/5/2018 7:15:46 AM   
Hghx-0

I appreciate all the answers, i can probably understand all except the unlimited docking capability, too abstract and can be easily exploited in my opinion..

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 38
RE: Some questions - 11/5/2018 9:05:54 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
Or a jungle coming right up to the water, so crew can camouflage a ship.

Oh, yes - that would have been nice - a dedicated knob for "camouflage your ship?"....This Monty Pythonish picture popped up
before my eyes (yes, I'm a Monty Python fan) - John Cleese (in his usual flaying, ironic pitch) - or Michael Palin's smirkish smile:

"Aaah..so you want to camouflage your ship, doo you? You don't want the enemy to see you, doo you...? No compassion for
the enemy (meaning the Japanese)..? Don't you know he already has this bad-vision problem, his glasses fogs over
in the moist Pacific climate - they all need glasses, you know...You want to take advantage of that? Chicken, are you?
He's scared the **** out of you, hasn't he? Don't you know what you're here for - you're here to kill the enemy! To let him
find you so he can crash his plane into your ship and blow himself to whatever heaven the cook-eyed b******* go to! That
should teach them a lesson! We have enough ships and drunken sailors to wear them down. And you want to caaamouflage your ship!"

And so on and on. Yes, too little to do this morning. Have a good day camouflaging your ship everyone. No offense given or
taken.

Fred

< Message edited by Leandros -- 11/5/2018 9:14:22 AM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 39
RE: Some questions - 11/5/2018 1:45:47 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
Or a jungle coming right up to the water, so crew can camouflage a ship.

Oh, yes - that would have been nice - a dedicated knob for "camouflage your ship?"....

Well, it did happen sometimes quite convincingly. Granted not with British guys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_Abraham_Crijnssen_(1936)

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 40
RE: Some questions - 11/5/2018 2:39:08 PM   
Buckrock

Sometimes it worked, sometimes not....

From the Asiatic Fleet's report of the Utility Squadron activities during the East Indies campaign:-

"The USS Childs then sailed for Ambon to assist the shore facilities in refueling and rearming our planes. It was interesting to watch the USS Childs make herself at home. She found a coral ledge close along the shoreline, moored herself alongside the coral ledge, then cut down palm trees, tied them up alongside her masts and stacks, covered herself with palm fronds and did her best to look like part of the scenery.

And after all that, she still looked exactly like the Childs, just with palm trees on her."

From the Messimer's "The Story of Patrol Wing Ten", page 159:-

"The USS Preston was already in Kendari Bay, camouflaged with shrubbery and tree branches, when the PBYs arrived. A lone Japanese scout plane had been spotted and the Preston warned the PBYs to circle away and return later. There was little doubt the enemy pilot had seen the bush-covered tender anchored near the beach, since the camouflage attempt was not very effective. The only known effect was that the Preston became infested with bugs and insects of every description."

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 41
RE: Some questions - 11/5/2018 3:12:23 PM   
Leandros

The small Philippine inter-island freighters were also known to use such tactics, travelling at night and hiding during the day. The USN PTs taking MacArthur off Corregidor did the same. The PTs escaping the carnage at the Cavite Yard settled down on a spot like that on the other side of Manila Bay.

Fred

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 42
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 6:41:52 AM   
PetrOs

Actually camoflage would be a nice feature for the game. As a ship model maker, I have taken alot of effort to understand the camo measures of the US ships. Some were designed to reduce ship visibility from air, some from sea, some against tropical island green background, some against temperate green background, some were highly visible but very disruptive, some being good at night, some at daylight...

In game, it could be a good feature - apply a new camo measure to a ship. Each measure has modifiers in terms of air visibility, surface visibility, night air visibility, night surface visibility, coastal visibility, disruption, that could be both positive and negative. For example air visibility would reduce a chance of ship being spotted from the air or overlooked by a strike air group, surface visibility would increase the chance to let it slip away in surface combat, coastal visibility affects both air and sea visibility in coastal hex, and also acts as disruption value in coastal hex, and disruption reduces the chances that the ship is hit by gun or torpedo...

Repaint requires a port, a few days offline and some supplies.

A good camo could be decisive in reality - IJN barges used it very extensively, and during invasion of Green island (quoting Alan Raven's article from http://shipcamouflage.com/5_2.htm)
quote:

The Japanese took full advantage of this cover [coastal foliage] in hiding their landing barges and machine gun emplacements. In an attack by the gun-boat 70, the barges were so well hidden that the native guide, brought on board ship for the purpose of pointing out their positions, was believed to be in error. At a distance of 40 yards they were absolutely indistinguishable from the surrounding foliage. After opening fire on their positions, and being fired upon in return, there was little doubt as to their presence.

< Message edited by PetrOs -- 11/6/2018 6:42:53 AM >

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 43
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 7:52:07 AM   
Leandros

As I understand it from the discussion here, a disbanded TF (ship) is, in a way, "camouflaged" as it is a sort of down-prioritized target while being disbanded.

This could perhaps be adapted to the game if it was possible to disband in a coastal hex - which it isn't. The "home port" must be "a friendly base". In fact, there is no
response from the game if you mark a non-port hex as "home port". One can have a coastal hex as destination but not as a "home port". To my knowledge, the automatic disband feature only works in the home port.

This, in a way, is the same problem with the game that an air mission cannot be set to return to a different base than the one it departs from. (Except for carrier-based units when diverting). Ships can. I have suggested here before that this would have been a nice feature. It did occasionally happen in RL and can be useful for extending the range of a bombing mission.

Fred

(in reply to PetrOs)
Post #: 44
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 8:07:26 AM   
PetrOs

quote:

This, in a way, is the same problem with the game that an air mission cannot be set to return to a different base than the one it departs from. (Except for carrier-based units when diverting). Ships can. I have suggested here before that this would have been a nice feature. It did occasionally happen in RL and can be useful for extending the range of a bombing mission.

Fred

This was a commonly used feature in WW2, both for heavies and lights. Allied aircraft used it for example to bomb industrial targets in deep German backyard - fly over and head to Russia, refuel-rearm there, and then fly back, yet another time bombing the industry (operation Frantic). Alternatively UK-Italy-UK.

One more use was to bomb Tirpitz - Operation Paravane

Going for a forward base, refuel there, make a strike, and then return back with a stopover on the forward base was a common mission in WW2, too, used by russians and brits in the desert at least...

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 45
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 8:45:46 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: PetrOs
Going for a forward base, refuel there, make a strike, and then return back with a stopover on the forward base was a common mission in WW2, too, used by russians and brits in the desert at least...

And that we can do in the game, too. But not the other option.

Fred

(in reply to PetrOs)
Post #: 46
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 9:00:29 AM   
PetrOs

Well, not at the realistic pace... At least not the way like my greatgrandfather told me was common.

With the first twilight, take off from main base, land at a small grass field with a fuel tanker and a ammo truck waiting with a few mechanics, usually 3-5 km away from the front line. Top up the fuel, take off and fly missions (barrage, Il-2 escort, bomber escort, intercept, free hunt...). Land, top up ammo/fuel, if plane is not damaged - go to next sortie, sometimes up to 5-6 missions a day, usually at short range. His record was 8 missions a day, some just 10 km off the field (take off, drop bombs, strafe a bit, land, less then 20 minutes of work). In the evening - go home to main base for overnight maintenance/crew rest. Damaged planes would be patched in the field (if can be flown safely back after some repairs) or trucked back to main base if not repairable fast enough.

Bombers would do such rebase to hit at extreme range - like soviet DB-3F's did in summer 1941 to hit Berlin. Fly from moscow, refuel near frontline, at dusk start over germany, return by dawn, and then go back to moscow.

In game that would be rather - in the night phase squadron transfers to front base in their range. It flies normal missions in both day phases, and returns by the turn end. Supply consumed at both main and forward bases, and the fatigue is much higher.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 47
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 2:15:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hghx-0

I appreciate all the answers, i can probably understand all except the unlimited docking capability, too abstract and can be easily exploited in my opinion..

I don't know the designer's thoughts on the subject, but a level 9 port is very developed, and includes a great deal of civilian stevedore assistance and lighters/barges to handle ships anchored near the docks. I think that is why it was considered unlimited in tonnage capacity for shipping handled, but there are still ops points limits to how much cargo/troops can be handled each phase.

I have had large convoys loading at level 9 bases and not all the ships were able to load supplies/equipment/fuel during the turn. The first ships in the TF loaded the max amount for a size 9 port per turn until they were full and the ops points available cascaded down the list. Seems pretty realistic to me!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Hghx-0)
Post #: 48
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 2:23:29 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: PetrOs

Actually camoflage would be a nice feature for the game. As a ship model maker, I have taken alot of effort to understand the camo measures of the US ships. Some were designed to reduce ship visibility from air, some from sea, some against tropical island green background, some against temperate green background, some were highly visible but very disruptive, some being good at night, some at daylight...

In game, it could be a good feature - apply a new camo measure to a ship. Each measure has modifiers in terms of air visibility, surface visibility, night air visibility, night surface visibility, coastal visibility, disruption, that could be both positive and negative. For example air visibility would reduce a chance of ship being spotted from the air or overlooked by a strike air group, surface visibility would increase the chance to let it slip away in surface combat, coastal visibility affects both air and sea visibility in coastal hex, and also acts as disruption value in coastal hex, and disruption reduces the chances that the ship is hit by gun or torpedo...

Repaint requires a port, a few days offline and some supplies.

A good camo could be decisive in reality - IJN barges used it very extensively, and during invasion of Green island (quoting Alan Raven's article from http://shipcamouflage.com/5_2.htm)
quote:

The Japanese took full advantage of this cover [coastal foliage] in hiding their landing barges and machine gun emplacements. In an attack by the gun-boat 70, the barges were so well hidden that the native guide, brought on board ship for the purpose of pointing out their positions, was believed to be in error. At a distance of 40 yards they were absolutely indistinguishable from the surrounding foliage. After opening fire on their positions, and being fired upon in return, there was little doubt as to their presence.

Interesting comment about the bugs - never thought of that!

I did see a picture of a US CA that had been torpedoed moored very close to the shoreline with cam nets over it, presumably while it made patch repairs before it moved on to a port that could help stabilize it. My question is - where did they get the cam netting to cover a ship that big? Surely it was not carried as standard equipment - space and tonnage on a ship is precious! My guess is that nearby land units provided the nets.

(in reply to PetrOs)
Post #: 49
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 2:34:20 PM   
PetrOs

Could that have being an awning canvas with foliage attached to it? All bigger ships operating in the pacific had that on board.

As for effective camo - try to find a swedish coastal BB in the picture...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 50
RE: Some questions - 11/6/2018 3:06:39 PM   
Buckrock

quote:

I did see a picture of a US CA that had been torpedoed moored very close to the shoreline with cam nets over it, presumably while it made patch repairs before it moved on to a port that could help stabilize it. My question is - where did they get the cam netting to cover a ship that big? Surely it was not carried as standard equipment - space and tonnage on a ship is precious! My guess is that nearby land units provided the nets.

If you're referring to the post Tassafaronga photo of a bowless USS New Orleans strewn with netting and local flora, that photo was taken after she'd been moved temporarily to a PT base near Florida Island to continue make-shift repairs. Between the camouflague netting available at the base and the cargo netting carried on the New Orleans, enough was available to cover the now reduced length of the cruiser.

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 51
RE: Some questions - 11/8/2018 3:18:15 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

quote:

...To return to the actual question. If I get a confirmation that the attackng planes can carry torpedoes (naval, port and
a marked port confirms that) - is it to say that not all of the dispatched planes shall carry torpedoes, but bombs instead?
I mean, is the game taking this decision on its own? If so, one might as well specify bombs and use "port" attack.

Fred

Alfred

The correct response would have been,"Thanks, I didn't know that!" Instead of engaging in CYA.

But intellectual honesty isn't your forte now, is it?

Unable to address post #26 logically and accurately, we get another ad hominem attack from Rusty1961.

This time I am accused of being a liar for that is the insinuation you make regarding my intellectual honesty. Very defamatory especially when you can't even point out what was the lie I said in my response to Leandros which you quote. Very pathetic and desperate of you that you just throw any mud at all.

Then there is the slur in accusing me of engaging in CYA. For those who don't know, CYC is short for "Cover your ar**". Is that something you had to do in your working career hence your knowledge of the term. I never did so which is why I had to look up what CYA meant. There is no equivocation in my response to Leandros so the only here making a fool of themselves here is you with such a non sequitur.

As to the suggestion that I should have said "Thanks, I didn't know that!" that is impossible as Leandros asked a question, he did not impart any new knowledge or information to me. Again the only one here who looks silly is you. Considering the nature of your posts in the forum these last 7-8 years, you remain consistent.

Alfred

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 52
RE: Some questions - 11/8/2018 4:15:09 PM   
Leandros

Thank you, Alfred, I wasn't sure he meant you or me. Anyway, I reported his posting - for what it is worth. I was equally
appalled at the unnecessarily unfriendly tone.

Keep up the good work.

Fred

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 53
RE: Some questions - 11/8/2018 9:40:27 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Thank you, Alfred, I wasn't sure he meant you or me. Anyway, I reported his posting - for what it is worth. I was equally
appalled at the unnecessarily unfriendly tone.

Keep up the good work.

Fred

Just for everyone's info, if you used the "Report" hypertext next to the post # at the bottom of the post, it alerts the forum moderator but it doesn't tell him which post was being reported! So follow up with a PM mentioning the post thread and number and your objections to it so he/she can follow up as deemed appropriate.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 54
RE: Some questions - 11/8/2018 10:06:59 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Docked=In Port as far as this game goes. I can't hit Japanese ****s in port at Truk, docked or not.

Yes, the game version that you are playing is specific to you, and the lack of your desired results is definitely not due to misunderstanding of game mechanics or simple luck. Definitely not.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 55
RE: Some questions - 11/9/2018 2:53:13 PM   
tarkalak

quote:

Fred

"Naval, port" - Attack TFs, if none are found, attack a port.

Similarly "Naval, X" is Attack TFs, if none are found, attack X. Where X is a secondary mission available.

Someone (I think wtpqs) said that setting a bomber to "Naval, X" with no valid Naval targets, will result in it skipping the morning Phase and makeing the X attack in the afternoon, giving a higher chance to the sweeps to come before it's attack.

EDIT: Ok, what I said is already said above. I should read more before posting.

Also I like your Monty Python joke

< Message edited by tarkalak -- 11/9/2018 3:12:04 PM >

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 56
RE: Some questions - 11/9/2018 6:48:48 PM   
bradfordkay

"5. Defined load level.
Now player can't load a certain amount of supplies/fuel, he is limited by maximum of cargo capacity and port level. When having a shortage it's really important to share the limited amount of supplies rationally. It also applies to refuel/rearm, according to plan some ships the player may not want to replenish, for example, the ones that spent too much fuel and refueling them will slow down the whole TF. "

This is covered somewhat in the game system. When setting up (or anytime you check up on) a TF, you can choose the refueling parameters for that TF. "minimal refuel" or "tactical refuel" means that the ships will not take a full fuel load on at any port. "Do not refuel" means that they won't take on any fuel at any port. I use these toggles constantly when my TFs are headed to forwards bases so that they do not soak up valuable fuel needed for combat TFs.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 57
RE: Some questions - 11/9/2018 8:11:09 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I use these toggles constantly when my TFs are headed to forwards bases so that they do not soak up valuable fuel needed for combat TFs.

But these 'toggles' don't seem to work with 'CS' convoys. This is why I stopped using them. Or am I missing something?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 58
RE: Some questions - 11/9/2018 8:54:52 PM   
bradfordkay

I generally don't use CS convoys for forward bases with limited fuel stocks, so I never noticed. Sorry.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 59
RE: Some questions - 11/9/2018 9:21:05 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I use these toggles constantly when my TFs are headed to forwards bases so that they do not soak up valuable fuel needed for combat TFs.

But these 'toggles' don't seem to work with 'CS' convoys. This is why I stopped using them. Or am I missing something?

Naah, turning CS will disable refueling control. I also don't use them, because of this.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Some questions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI