Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map projection

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Map projection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map projection - 11/23/2018 6:15:18 PM   
NZgunner

Obviously too late for this iteration but has any thought been given to using a different map projection for future games?

For a truly global game Mercator (where the world is projected onto a rectangle) isn't the best option because of the distortion you get between high latitudes and those near the equator.

If you're not sure what I mean have a look at the actual size of Indonesia which is near the equator superimposed over Europe https://external-preview.redd.it/0tSR8R9YIvXOurYaZpOPMOmmTc7R9kZNya5VV80QDE8.jpg?auto=webp&s=32209c67992f05247c7d07f8d808a53642cec860.

Another way to see this is to compare the distance from Brazil to West Africa which is about 2,900 kms, to the distance between Iceland and Scotland which is just over 800 kms - but both look similar on the map projection used in this game http://www.matrixgames.com/files/games/777/20180928053530.jpg?height=1200&width=1600

A 3D globe with a hex grid overlay would be one way of doing it. You wouldn't get that one big overview and you'd probably have to keep rotating it slightly to move units which could end up being a pain - but at least relative distances would be the same all over.

< Message edited by NZgunner -- 11/23/2018 6:19:02 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Map projection - 11/23/2018 7:07:32 PM   
Titan

could be an idea, for a global map from what i can gather everything looks shrunk alot to make more room. Distance from Tobruk to Cairo is only 7 hexs!!! a panzer (6 Movement points) can hit that in one move right from a supply source, current game its about 13 hexes and the Germans really have to work there way down watching supply etc. I realize there are going to be trade offs but it does make one wonder how it might play out now that it seems there is going to be less room to manourvre unless some of the movement values have been dropped which would help but still. Would of been nice to see it alittle bigger

(in reply to NZgunner)
Post #: 2
RE: Map projection - 11/23/2018 7:13:53 PM   
PJL1973

The Americas are actually shifted up a bit to make it fit to a smaller map. It's not as bad as in Paradox games, but that's why West Africa and NE Brazil looks so close.

Although Mercator isn't that good, I can understand why it was chosen (or something similar to it) as it makes for a bigger European battleground, where the majority of WW2 took place.

(in reply to Titan)
Post #: 3
RE: Map projection - 11/23/2018 7:20:44 PM   
Titan

Agree Europe is the most important...But the battle in africa is also very Crucial..Especially the route from Tobruk-Cairo....The Axis with a handful of tac bombers could take out Cairo from tobruk and a para. So no long battle in Africa

< Message edited by Titan -- 11/24/2018 12:36:45 AM >

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 4
RE: Map projection - 11/28/2018 9:55:18 AM   
GungHoGIJoe

A larger map seems more exciting than a smaller 1,2,3 moves and done. I find other backwoods campaigns i.e. Burma, South Pacific, Africa and South American interesting. They are an important part of the “World War” and could have had an alternative outcome.

(in reply to Titan)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Map projection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI