Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

(Question) LowN and LowG

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> (Question) LowN and LowG Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
(Question) LowN and LowG - 12/5/2018 2:15:36 AM   
amon15

What i wanted to know is, as a japanese player, if i use my Bettie's and Sally's to bomb a port at 100' they will use LowN skill, and if i set them to 1000' or above they use NavB skill? Or is the normal NavB skill activated at an higher altitude?

Post #: 1
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/5/2018 2:28:21 AM   
Anachro

I think 100 feet is strafe skill. 1000 feet is low naval/ground skill. You can tell this by observing what skills train up at those altitudes.

(in reply to amon15)
Post #: 2
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/5/2018 2:33:06 AM   
Anachro

Thread on low-level bombing: CLICK HERE

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will come in and tell us how it all works. Honestly, I haven't used it much. I just know that for training strafe I use 100 feet, for training low bombing I use 1000 feet. It would seem some bombers "skip bomb" at 100 feet while others are better at 1000 feet.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 3
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/5/2018 3:34:15 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: amon15

What i wanted to know is, as a japanese player, if i use my Bettie's and Sally's to bomb a port at 100' they will use LowN skill, and if i set them to 1000' or above they use NavB skill? Or is the normal NavB skill activated at an higher altitude?

LowN and NavB only apply to attacking ships at sea. GrdB and LowG apply to trying to hit ships disbanded in ports, including in the shipyard. Think of it in the same way GrdB and LowG apply to attacking an airfield to hit parked planes.

LowG or LowN applies to aircraft attacking at 1000 or 100 feet, if they carry bombs. If the aircraft is a fighter or assault bomber (the ones with lots of forward facing MGs or cannons) the aircraft will both bomb and strafe at either altitude. They sometimes make two passes to drop the bombs and then strafe.

Fighters and attack aircraft without bombs will use the Strafe skill at 100 feet.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to amon15)
Post #: 4
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/5/2018 11:27:20 AM   
amon15

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: amon15

LowN and NavB only apply to attacking ships at sea. GrdB and LowG apply to trying to hit ships disbanded in ports, including in the shipyard. Think of it in the same way GrdB and LowG apply to attacking an airfield to hit parked planes.

LowG or LowN applies to aircraft attacking at 1000 or 100 feet, if they carry bombs. If the aircraft is a fighter or assault bomber (the ones with lots of forward facing MGs or cannons) the aircraft will both bomb and strafe at either altitude. They sometimes make two passes to drop the bombs and then strafe.

Fighters and attack aircraft without bombs will use the Strafe skill at 100 feet.

So, my bombers have an average skill of 69 in GrdB and 34 in LowG. To maximize my damage i should set them to 2000' so they use their normal GrdB skill, and they are low enough to maximize their chances to hit something, also the AA over target is almost non existent. So what would be the most optimal orders to set my bombers to increase as mucg damage in a single raid as possible. I would presume also using recce planes before the raid to increase DL.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/5/2018 11:45:06 AM   
Yaab

You dont have to set your bombers to 2000 feet at GrndAttack. Bombs have their own accuracy rating. If you bomb with 500lb/25okg bombs you can set the bomber to 6000-10,000 feet. Going very low is only good if you have small bombs and there is no AA present.

(in reply to amon15)
Post #: 6
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/5/2018 3:41:19 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

You dont have to set your bombers to 2000 feet at GrndAttack. Bombs have their own accuracy rating. If you bomb with 500lb/25okg bombs you can set the bomber to 6000-10,000 feet. Going very low is only good if you have small bombs and there is no AA present.

I disagree. What you say would have been accurate back when the dividing altitude between LowG and GrdB was 6,000 feet. Since it is now 2000 feet, going as low as that is the best way to get max accuracy from the bombing. Yes, the bombs have an accuracy rating but the altitude is also worked into the calculations for numbers of hits.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 7
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/7/2018 7:02:25 AM   
Barb

2,000ft is probably best for using GrdB skill. But be aware that at that altitude every single squad/flak will fire at your planes too. May not eventually down anything, but will drive damage/fatigue of your planes way up. Consider 3,000ft (squads do not have the range to fire there), 7,000ft (avoiding Jap 25mm AA), or 10,000 (avoiding allied 40mm).... Depends on a situation. If it is one-day full strike, you can do it... If you want to apply continuous pressure better keep a bit higher.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/7/2018 11:30:51 AM   
Disco Duck

I didn't realize they used skip bombing on the ground too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDdIU6lk6JU

There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 9
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/7/2018 5:31:19 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Consider 3,000ft (squads do not have the range to fire there), 7,000ft (avoiding Jap 25mm AA), or 10,000 (avoiding allied 40mm)....

Keep in mind that these are not hard and fast limits. The Dev's put in a 'fudge factor' to avoid such tactics. So you may still get a little fire where you'd think not.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Disco Duck)
Post #: 10
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/7/2018 11:10:31 PM   
spence

The link shows para-frag bombing at low level by B-25s. I think that this tactic was more common than skip bombing for land targets. One can see that the attacking planes are quite low (less than 1000 ft). The parachute attached to the bomb insured that the bomb hit the ground and exploded after the plane had passed on. A 500 lb bomb would surely have made one of those bombers in the previous link look like a piece of swiss cheese.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/255768-parafrag-bombs/

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: (Question) LowN and LowG - 12/8/2018 2:52:19 AM   
BBfanboy

I don't know if they worried about it in WWII, but strafing at certain altitudes and angles of dive can result in ricochets shooting down the strafing aircraft. Modern fighter jocks have defined profiles for strafing attacks to avoid the problem. It could be that WWII aircraft were not fast enough to be in the ricochet danger zone.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> (Question) LowN and LowG Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI