Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 3/30/2019 10:05:59 PM   
BBfanboy

Most Chinese units are permanently restricted so I am puzzled about what you mean by hoping to extract parts of some units. You can't fly them anywhere safe and can't put them on a ship so it looks like they will have to extract themselves by slinking through heavy cover.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 541
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 3/30/2019 10:10:40 PM   
Canoerebel

By "extract," I meant seeing if they might escape by marching to friendly lines. It's unlikely but not impossible.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 542
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/8/2019 1:40:40 AM   
Canoerebel

9/20/42 to 10/9/42

The game is flying by without any major developments on the MLR. The tension is mounting in China and at Singers, where Dave will attack fairly soon. Elsewhere, he's not probing anywhere and SigInt suggests attention to defense in depth rather than to looming offensive activity. It's possible that the Singers/Wenchow debacles have thrown him off sufficiently that he's preparing for defense already, but I'll maintain a vigil until I'm certain.

China: From Sian to Changsha to Kweilin, the MLR remains intact and under no real pressure. There's been one non-threatening advance north of Sian. He's bombarding regularly at and near Changsha (and that's where I think his army fresh from Wenchow is coming). I'm not certain he's going to push there, but that's probably the best place for me, as I have somewhat of a reserve there. Hey, it feels pretty good to have an intact MLR in China this late in '42.

Burma: No changes. No real signs of enemy offensive activity. Magwe oil is 80% destroyed by Allied bombers.

Singers: Dave has a ton of arty here but only three divisions. He bombards daily, doing some damage and usually suffering some. Supply down to 34k. I lost another sub to his massive air/sea ASW in the Malacca Strait, but its still worth it. Singers probably won't fall until November of December. He'll need more infantry divisions.

SWPac: Nothing happening. He's taken as far south as Port Headland, to the west, and Milne Bay/Port Moresby, to the east. But it's very, very quiet. Allied reinforcements are in place and there are good strongpoints. Most divisions are prepping for future offensive activity.

SoPac: No enemy activity since December of '41 except for an occasional sub, usually near Efate and Suva.

CenPac: No enemy activity since Pearl Harbor and the Great Lex Chase in December. Midway fort building continues - now at 5.67.

NoPac: No enemy presence in the Aleuts or Gulf of Alaska at any time during the game. A lot of Allied activity garrisoning and building forts from Anchorage to Adak Island. Anchorage is strongly defended; another six or seven bases have RCT plus engineers and arty. Winter is 22 days away.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 543
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/8/2019 1:45:52 AM   
Anachro

10/9/42 and you still have Singers?! This game is as good as won.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 544
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/8/2019 1:56:00 AM   
Canoerebel

I know what you mean. It's a milestone that demands attention. But you know how the game goes. Something significant happens - a big carrier victory, a key land battle, an important base holding far longer than it should - and we Allied players think/hope that "the game is won." But then the Japanese player recovers his equilibrium (or perhaps never lost it) and the game continues, hard fought into 1944 or 1945. Certain players could take this position and ram home an expedited Allied victory, but I'm not at that level. :)

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 545
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/11/2019 2:34:58 PM   
Canoerebel

10/10/42 to 10/19/42

No major changes anywhere. I'm confident that Dave is gathering for a major offensive against the Chinese MLR. I don't yet know the location of that push. Elsewhere he has subs working various angles. But the only other major activity pertains to the Siege of Singapore. So a bit more information in the graphic.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 546
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/11/2019 2:41:25 PM   
jwolf

I am still dumbfounded that you have held onto Singapore so late into the game. I assume that your cost in destroyed units will be high, but still the cost to the enemy in lost time, lost use of the base, and perhaps troop losses will be well worth it.

Question: Can you bring in some supply subs from Australia (Perth) and avoid a lot of the enemy ASW?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 547
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/11/2019 4:36:29 PM   
Canoerebel

The Perth to Singers LOC has been in use for a couple of months. It's longer, so less efficient, but thus far not interdicted. Dave has some detection, but either hasn't caught on or doesn't think it's worth spreading out his ASW with so many targets in the Malacca Straits.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 548
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/11/2019 5:48:28 PM   
jwolf

There is also the strategic question of getting the most value for your subs, that is, using them for supply as opposed to using them in more conventional sub missions. But IMHO stretching the defense of Singapore through 1942 would be such a victory that it would be worth it. With improved torpedoes after the New Year, things may be different (of course Singapore may and probably will fall by then anyway).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 549
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/11/2019 6:28:19 PM   
Canoerebel

Yes, there are all kinds of gives and takes in every action. Sometimes it major tradeoffs, like subs taken off patrol to deliver supply (in this case, I think it's a no-brainer, even with the attrition factored in). Behind the liens there are usually things too, affecting one side or the other, as here Dave's ASW air patrols must be gaining incredible experience. Very many layers to every onion in the game and there are countless onions.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 550
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/15/2019 9:22:53 PM   
Canoerebel

10/20/42 to 10/28/42

China: MLR remains intact. I'm still looking for Japanese reinforcements to show up at some point along the MLR, fresh from Wenchow. Thus far, nothing. The Chinese army that retreated from Wenchow did so in decent shape and without the massive losses usually attendant to retreats. The units have dispersed and are trying to infiltrate to the MLR. One or wo may make it. Dave's devoted a fair number of small bomber squadrons to harass them.

Burma: Allied bombers have knocked out about 250 oil points, leaving about 45. The bombers are set to fly again as soon as weather permits.

Singapore: No Japanese attacks (last one was May 31). Supply down to 21k (yipes). My subs are taking alot of damage but relatively few sinkings. Massed Japanese artillery is having an effect, but only modestly so. I think the base will hold into December. I've tried a few things to relieve the pressure, including bringing in TBFs from Ceylon (they have the range) but thus far haven't accomplished anything. Dave is alert to relief efforts.

Australia: No enemy moves on either side.

SWPac/SoPac: Quiet. Allies continue to build at Luganville and Efate.

CenPac: Quiet. Forts at Midway at 5.81. At 6, I'll remove the engineers and insert a tank battalion.

NoPac: Winter is just three days away. Allied troops steadily moving in to garrison the islands. Adak has a RCT, tank battalion and combat engineer unit, with a Marine RCT and another Army RCT inbound. I suspect (though I don't know for certain) that Dave won't pursue offensive activity during winter months, as there's been no SigInt to suggest such (he might chance Winter condition activities but likely not without prepping first). As the Winter progresses, I'll begin to shift the weight of my garrisons from the Anchorage to Umnak sector forward to to Adak to Amchitka to Attu sector.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 551
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/16/2019 2:14:11 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Most Chinese units are permanently restricted so I am puzzled about what you mean by hoping to extract parts of some units. You can't fly them anywhere safe and can't put them on a ship so it looks like they will have to extract themselves by slinking through heavy cover.

Generally after a Chinese unit is crushed it reappears in Chunking. It will have squads but no heavy equipment. You can then change HQ (non restrictive) for a low price and use the long range liberator transport that you get to slowly fly them out to Ledo where they can be rebuilt. Because they have no equipment you can fly the whole unit out. You can do this as long as you hold Ledo and Chunking. Eventually, you should be able to get all non-restricted units out and move them to big Indian cities for rebuilding. This gives you a decent Chinese force to use later in the war. If your game rules allow restricted units to leave China. (We do but do not allow them to engage in combat) then you should pick a few choice units and start moving them to India on day one of the war. Don' go overboard as you will just not get enough devices to rebuild more that your unrestricted units and a few restricted. We allow unrestricted Chinese units to fight anywhere and these units are extremely useful in Burma and SE Asia in 1944-45. It actually pays you to use the non restricted units in combat early on and have them beat down to hell without getting them killed. Then it cost virtually nothing to buy them out and no time to transport them out. But you got to make sure they have no heavy equipment left if you plan to fly them out. If anything, they help fill out garrison requirements in India and other theaters. I fly the smallest units out first.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 552
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/16/2019 4:09:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

Generally after a Chinese unit is crushed it reappears in Chunking. It will have squads but no heavy equipment. You can then change HQ (non restrictive) for a low price and use the long range liberator transport that you get to slowly fly them out to Ledo where they can be rebuilt. Because they have no equipment you can fly the whole unit out. You can do this as long as you hold Ledo and Chunking. Eventually, you should be able to get all non-restricted units out and move them to big Indian cities for rebuilding. This gives you a decent Chinese force to use later in the war. If your game rules allow restricted units to leave China. (We do but do not allow them to engage in combat) then you should pick a few choice units and start moving them to India on day one of the war. Don' go overboard as you will just not get enough devices to rebuild more that your unrestricted units and a few restricted. We allow unrestricted Chinese units to fight anywhere and these units are extremely useful in Burma and SE Asia in 1944-45. It actually pays you to use the non restricted units in combat early on and have them beat down to hell without getting them killed. Then it cost virtually nothing to buy them out and no time to transport them out. But you got to make sure they have no heavy equipment left if you plan to fly them out. If anything, they help fill out garrison requirements in India and other theaters. I fly the smallest units out first.

Are you saying the permanently restricted Chinese Units are not permanently restricted when destroyed and bought back?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 553
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/16/2019 5:00:47 PM   
Canoerebel

Those are interesting comments plus an interesting question from BBfanboy. I think permanent restricted units that are destroyed come back permanent restricted. I'll check next time I have my game file open (I've only had a few units destroyed. They've long since moved out of Chungking, so I'm not sure I'll be able to find them.) If they are permanent restricted, they won't be eligible for air transport. But crsutton's suggestions are timely reminders. I'll keep any eye out for those units I'm able to buy out. When one of them gets hurt or destroyed, I'll pay the PP and look to extract them.

In the game, we're at a delicate point. I think Dave still has time to pierce the MLR, roll up the Chinese, and pose a threat to China as a whole. But the clock is ticking and the MLR is still intact. I'm still fighting forward, trying hard to preserve that MLR - trying to survive long enough that the window for conquest closes. I don't know when that happens, practically speaking. Is it sometime in 1943? 1944?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/16/2019 5:01:26 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 554
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/16/2019 8:18:58 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

Are you saying the permanently restricted Chinese Units are not permanently restricted when destroyed and bought back?

No, sorry for the misunderstanding. Restricted units will always be restricted, even when they return.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 555
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/17/2019 3:27:59 PM   
Canoerebel

10/29/42 to 11/1/42

China: No pressure on the MLR (yet).

Burma: Oil points at Magwe down to 35 (265 destroyed). I failed to mention that around 10/15, Pappy Boyington was KIA. He was my leading ace with 25 kills. Shot down over Magwe, where Dave has about 150 fighters, including a bunch of Tojos, on CAP. This is the only hex on the map where the two sides are engaging in aerial combat and it's been that way for about six months. Dave isn't pushing anywhere, really.

Bay of Bengal: Early in the war, I evacuated a lot of units to the mainland, including AA and HQ. Now all those units and many more have been brought back, so that Ceylon is very heavily defended. Dave could still attack, belatedly, but he'd have a really tough time of it. Ceylon is mainly a staging point.

Singers: Down to 19k supply. I lost another sub. It's worth it, no matter the losses. Supply should hold until December.

The Pacific from Oz to Aleuts: No changes, no probings, no pressure, no attacks. A few small Allied units are inbound to Tabitueua, which is still an Allied hex. I'm going to probe the area, mainly to see if Dave reacts violently. No sign of enemy activity in NoPac, and winter has arrived. I have 350 AV at Adak. Engineers are inbound to Amchitka and Attu. If Dave doesn't show up during the cold months, I'll try to have the Aleuts fully and strongly garrisoned by spring. I don't know if I'll pursue a NoPac strategy but it'll be helpful to have the option.

Allied/Jap Strategy: I have concentrations of troops ready to move in the Bay of Bengal, SWPac and NoPac. One of those is "the real, real thing." I'd pull the trigger...only I haven't seen KB in about six months. Last sighting was when Dave reacted to the Allied counterinvasion of Pegu/Moulmein. I had hoped that my work to push reinforcements forward, especially at Luganville and the Aleuts, would incite a response. But nada. Dave isn't pushing forward anywhere. His last real conquest was Cocos Island. He's not doing anything in Burma, Oz, Luganville region, CenPac or NoPac. Singers, Manila, and Wenchow threw him off a bit....but not that much.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/17/2019 3:29:54 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 556
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/17/2019 5:15:47 PM   
jwolf

OK in your other game you have The Next Big Thing, The Next Next Big Thing, etc and now here it looks like you will go with The Real Thing, The Real Real Thing and so on.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 557
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/17/2019 6:02:31 PM   
Canoerebel

You're paying close attention!

Possibly I'll come up with something more creative in this match. In the game vs. Obvert, I felt constrained not to get too creative, always keeping in mind that I'd inherited the game from Joseph. I don't think he'd have cared, one way or the other, but it somehow didn't feel right. Or perhaps I felt stifled by the "horrendous" names he'd given to the replacement Allied carriers....Death from Above, etc.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 558
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/19/2019 5:17:07 PM   
Canoerebel

11/2/42 to 11/11/42

Things remain quiet across most of the map, but I pulled the trigger on an elaborate plan, a long time in the making, to buy more time for Singapore.

Singers: Twice, I've inserted TBFs from Ceylon in hopes that they would strike at the plentiful ASW TFs in the Strait of Malacca. Both efforts failed. I've also been working on a more elaborate plan to use the Allied carriers to insert fighters and SBDs or, under just the right circumstances, for Death Star to take position on Sumatra's west coast to handle anti-naval missions. If KB showed up far away, the plan would be easy to implement. But Dave didn't cooperate - there'd been no sign of KB for months. The plan also required navigating sub-choked waters. Beginning in early November, DS left Colombo and made it to a point well west of Sumatra without detection or incident. Eventually, around the 9th, the F4Fs and the SBDs moved to Singers, set both for CAP and naval strike. Not a single SBD flew...and for the first time in weeks, no inbound enemy bombers! Whiff! Whiff! My fighters scored a modest victory against some Oscars and Nates. Then I flew them back to DS, which immediately moved NW at high speed, just in case KB showed up (it did, as the graphic shows). I also brought in some P-38Gs on a suicide mission (Singers is low on supply, so no fuel tanks available, so the Lightnings are marooned). Fortunately, on the 11th, a bunch of enemy bombers showed up without escorts or sweeps. Dave lost about 40 Helens, which will offset the 10-12 Lightnings I'm going to lose. Overall, I felt like I've been trying to pull and inside straight. What little I've accomplished definitely wasn't worth the risks involved. Now Singers is down to 13.5k supply. The end is too nigh.

Anniversary: At this point in my game with John III, the Allies had just begun a massive landing at Sabang. That was crazy thinking, though it worked out pretty darned well.

China: No changes. At least two of the units late from Wenchow will make it back to the MLR.

The Vast Pacific: Detachment of 4th Marine Raiders takes unoccupied Abemama. I intend to build up some of these bases, mainly for the purpose of enticing Dave to look this way more than he has been. Up in the Aleuts, the Allies now have units all the way to Attu.

Japanese Sir Robin: Dave hasn't done anything anywhere close to what the Japanese do in most games. Consequenty, I hold Akyab, Ceylon, all of Oz except Darwin to Port Headland, Luganville-Noumea-Suva, the Line Islands, Midway, and the Aleutians. I think, but I'm not sure, that he's simply digging in, already on the defensive, possible because he decided that Singers-Luzon-Wenchow cost him too much time. I think this might be an effective strategy on his part, but we'll see. But I've never before approached 1943 with the Allies poised so far forward.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 559
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/19/2019 5:47:38 PM   
jwolf

quote:

At this point in my game with John III, the Allies had just begun a massive landing at Sabang.

Just think if you had Sabang you could bring a lot of relief into Singapore!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 560
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/19/2019 6:05:18 PM   
Canoerebel

You bet. I've mulled that over several times. But then I remember that the invasion of Sabang was possible because John was focused on Oz and the Pacific. Had I still held Singers, he'd have been all over Sumatra to counter any threats.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 561
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/19/2019 6:29:44 PM   
Lecivius

As for your P-38's, can't you disband them? Yeah, they are gone for 60 days, but you save the frames & pilots.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 562
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/19/2019 6:37:47 PM   
Canoerebel

Yes, that's the plan. :)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 563
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/22/2019 3:09:55 PM   
Canoerebel

11/12/42 to 11/17/42

Bay of Bengal: Following the Allied carrier raid near Sumatra (inserting fighters at Singers), KB followed hard and swift, arriving near Diego Garcia before I'd expected it to. Dave used some flank speed here, I think, which is helpful information. His raid netted three small xAKs. The USN carriers are upgrading at Colombo (these early war upgrades come often and take a long time).

China: Still no assault on the Chinese MLR. Another Chinese corps fleeing Wenchow is going to make the MLR. Supply situation is currently decent, which allows a unit or two to occasional draw replacements. Many units have been in place and digging in for months. The MLR isn't impregnable but neither is it smoke and mirrors.

Singers: Still holding; likely to fall in December, if Dave has enough infantry to handle things; no later than January.

Oz/SWPac: No enemy pressure anywhere in the vicinity.

SoPac: Allies inserted a detachment of 4th Raiders into undefended Abemama just to see what Dave would do. He replied with a quick counterinvasion by Ichiki Detachment and some tanks. The first day, his troops got mauled on landing. The second day, he reclaimed the little island. I've also inserted some troops at Tabituea. I have no grand plans here, at present, but he'll probably beef up his presence in this theater if it's not already strong.

CenPac: Midway forts at 5.96.

NoPac: For the first time in the war, enemy subs reported near the Aleutians. My ASW ships are few, so I'll stand down supply runs temporarily. Allied forts are mostly at 4 to 6 from Adak to Anchorage. During the winter months, I'll work at beefing up the garrisons alot, giving Dave plenty of reason to garrison the Kuriles and vicinity.

Attachment (1)

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 564
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/23/2019 3:05:07 PM   
Bif1961

Looks like he is raiding and probing Diego Garcia for a future potential landing, as many playing the Japanese take it to try and cutoff supplies entering near by. I know you said previously you have already put a Bde in to make any landing on the cheap, get a bloody repulse.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 565
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/23/2019 3:49:30 PM   
Canoerebel

This KB sweep was probably in reaction to the Allied carriers patrolling near Sumatra and withdrawing towards Diego/Ceylon. I don't think Dave'll come for Diego. He seems to have withdrawn into his shell, content to work on his MLR without chancing forays further forward. This is my first experience with him, though, so he might still surprise with a bold leap forward.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 566
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/23/2019 4:39:45 PM   
Canoerebel

11/18/42 to 11/22/42

China: Following the fall of Wenchow, the Chinese army, which wasn't too badly battered fled NW. Then several units turned around and moved SW. Two corps and a base force have now managed to reach the MLR. One corps, two HQ and one engineer unit are still wandering far from safety. Recon reports 13 units at Kaifeng, SE of Sian. I wondered if this might be the gathering of troops for the next big push. I'm not sure yet, but will monitor the situation.

Burma: A couple of nighttime 4EB raids vs. the remaining 35 oil points at Magwe whiffed. A cadre of 7th Aussie Div. is still wandering through the woods.

Bay of Bengal: No further signs of KB. Allied carriers in the midst of upgrading, requiring about two more weeks.

Singapore: Supply down to 10k. Dave's ASW is working over my sub bucket-brigade, having sunk two or three more. Most subs return to Colombo with minor to moderate damage. But I'll keep it going until the bitter end.

SoPac: The little probe against Abemama yielded an unexpected harvest, as three USN DDs inbound from Pearl Harbor ripped into an enemy transport TF (if I'm right that this is the amphibious TF that offloaded a counter-invasion force about four turns back). Actions like this one have been uncommon in the game. I'm preparing to garrison Canton Island in strength, which is fairly close to enemy territory. Dave will be anxious to exact revenge.

CenPac: Midway forts to 5.98.

NoPac: No further sign of enemy forces, following on the two subs recently sighted. Fort-building progressing nicely at Attu and Amchitka. Garrison troops (probably at least RCT in strength) will join the engineers in a month or so.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 567
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/24/2019 4:32:17 PM   
Bif1961

A harvest of points, every bit helps.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 568
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/25/2019 3:36:07 PM   
Canoerebel

11/23/42 to 12/4/42

Reading the Opponent: Dave's style of play thus far reminds me most of Miller. I played Paul several times, many years ago. He was methodical on offense, attending to the things that needed attending without taking big risks, and was especially adept at tenacious defense. I wonder if Dave is following the same general recipe. SigInt and many other indicators suggest he long ago converted to a primarily defensive posture, even as things have lagged badly for him at Singapore and in a few other areas. A year into the war, he hasn't probed so many areas typically targeted by many Japanese players. That, in turn, gives me the feeling of "having a head-start." But if he's properly attending to defense in depth, the going will turn slow and bloody for the Allies when the time comes to move forward. In addition to his woes at Singers, Wenchow and Clark Field, that cost him so much time, he's left a lot of dot bases under Allied control. He still has time to attend to some/most of these, but it could bite him if he dallies too much.

China: MLR intact with no major enemy probings. Two of the four Chinese corps that retired from Wenchow are back inside friendly lines. The other two might make it. Those are sort of gifts, providing help in bolstering the defense in depth.

Bay of Bengal: The sub bucket brigade to Singers continues. Dave's ASW work is thorough and many of my subs take minor to moderate damage on each run. I lose roughly a sub every ten days or so. All worth it.

Singers: No enemy attack. Supply at 7k. The drop has been slower lately, either because I have more subs in the brigade or because supply magically shows up since I'm such a deserving and nice fellow.

Oz: No enemy movements. Allied troops are prepping and positioning for future offensive action. The first moves will be small ones and aren't too far off.

SoPac: Other than enemy subs around Fiji, Noumea and Efate, very quiet here. A New Zealand brigade is coming ashore at New Caledonia - the first real augment to defenses there. I'm landing occasional troops at Tabituea, in small TFs to spread out the risk (Dave will strike there soon). The main effort is to insert a Marine RCT at Canton Island. I'll be careful there, too.

CenPac: Midway at 6 forts and working towards Port 2.

NoPac: RCT inbound to Amchitka. A Canadian brigade will then go to Attu. At that point, the Allied chain of defense will be largely complete.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 569
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/25/2019 3:53:11 PM   
jwolf

quote:

... because supply magically shows up since I'm such a deserving and nice fellow.

I'm sure that's in the manual somewhere.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI