Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/25/2019 4:07:32 PM   
Canoerebel

Alfred found it in Rule 4.3(a)(x)(ii)(Index A to The Holy Book of Armaments)

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 571
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/25/2019 5:49:00 PM   
Miller

That's a great result against that TF at Abemama. All those PBs sunk are the ones that can carry 1000 supply at 14kts and are vital for FT resupply of his far flung bases. I think the Japs only get 100 or so in the entire game. They are worth 10 VPs, the same as an average DD but much more valuable to the IJN.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 572
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/25/2019 5:56:48 PM   
Canoerebel

I didn't know that. Thanks, Paul.

PBs are weird - some are worth ten points, some one point.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 573
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/26/2019 5:46:03 PM   
Canoerebel

12/5/42 to 12/11/42

China: Dave has belatedly turned his attention on the units that fled Wenchow several months back. He might be able to trap one battered corps. Another looks like it'll make it to the MLR, joining two others that made it weeks ago. No enemy attacks along the MLR. I keep expecting an all-out weighted punch to break the MLR at some vulnerable spot.

Bay of Bengal: The USN carriers have finished upgrading, as have most of the other USN capital ships. Some adjustments were made to major-unit prep, reconfiguring target selection a bit.

Singapore: I think I lost three subs since my last post, so I spoke too soon. There's a temptation to think, "Man, I'll be glad when this is over, because it's sure hard on the sub corps." No way! This has been an incredibly productive effort. I think the subs may have bought at least three months for this fortress. Supply somehow still there - 5.3k at the moment. My best calculations, made months ago, was that supply would vanish on November 24. How there's any there given the unabated aerial assaults and regular bombardments is a mystery.

The Vast Pacific: I-151 sank two xAPs at Tabituea after both had delivered part of their troops. This base is very vulnerable to attack, but it's meant primarily to draw attention from other places - like Canton Island, where a Marine RCT is mostly ashore without incident. An Army RCT to unload at Amchitka Island tonight. A marine CD unit is about a week from Attu Island.

SigInt: All reports, all signs, everything, indicate that Dave is focusing mostly on defense. Hey, that's not nearly as fun as withstanding a wacky John III onslaught. But it'll mean tough slogging forward, when that time comes. Drat. Playing opponents the leave holes is fun!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 574
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/26/2019 6:44:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Depends on the size. There are three different sizes of xAK/xAKL that can convert to PBs - IIRC the smallest is 345 tons, the next size is about 765 tons and the big ones are around 4000 tons. I think the middles size are worth about 3 VPs. The big ones are valuable to the IJN because of their range, carrying capacity (including depth charges) and IIRC they have two 10 CM guns vs. one on the smaller vessels. That can be dangerous to a surfaced sub or small vessel like an MTB or AM.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 575
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/26/2019 7:01:07 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Depends on the size. There are three different sizes of xAK/xAKL that can convert to PBs - IIRC the smallest is 345 tons, the next size is about 765 tons and the big ones are around 4000 tons. I think the middles size are worth about 3 VPs. The big ones are valuable to the IJN because of their range, carrying capacity (including depth charges) and IIRC they have two 10 CM guns vs. one on the smaller vessels. That can be dangerous to a surfaced sub or small vessel like an MTB or AM.

My beef is where do they get off calling small merchant ships with a gun mounted on the fore deck a Patrol Boat?

Under that criteria every last xAK and xAKL in the Allied inventory qualifies as one.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 576
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/26/2019 7:31:31 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
My beef is where do they get off calling small merchant ships with a gun mounted on the fore deck a Patrol Boat?

Easy. Depth charges

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 577
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/26/2019 7:42:01 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Easy. Depth charges

And a naval crew.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 578
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/29/2019 1:45:09 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

11/23/42 to 12/4/42

Reading the Opponent: Dave's style of play thus far reminds me most of Miller. I played Paul several times, many years ago. He was methodical on offense, attending to the things that needed attending without taking big risks, and was especially adept at tenacious defense. I wonder if Dave is following the same general recipe. SigInt and many other indicators suggest he long ago converted to a primarily defensive posture, even as things have lagged badly for him at Singapore and in a few other areas. A year into the war, he hasn't probed so many areas typically targeted by many Japanese players. That, in turn, gives me the feeling of "having a head-start." But if he's properly attending to defense in depth, the going will turn slow and bloody for the Allies when the time comes to move forward.

It could be he's been reading your library of AARs and planning some sort of trap for one of your patented deep thrusts.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 579
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 4/29/2019 5:56:24 PM   
Canoerebel

12/14/42 to 12/25/42

Over the years, I've dubbed 1941 "The Year of Surprise" and 1942 "The Year of Retreat" and so on through 1945. Since Dave really hasn't pushed forward, there's been much less retreating in '42 than I'm accustomed to. The question is whether this proves to be of material benefit to the Allies in '43 "The Year of Attrition" and '44 "The Year of Advance."

China: No change to the MLR. Three of the Chinese corps that retreated from Wenchow made the friendly MLR. The fourth is hung out in no-man's-land and probably won't make it. No Japanese attacks or strong probes along the MLR.

India/Burma/Bay of Bengal: Quiet except for the intense battle between enemy ASW and Allied subs on the bucket brigade to Singers. Over one two-day span, I lost three subs. Whenever I'm tempted to flinch, I just look at all the artillery and bombers that have been focused on Singers for the great part of a year.

Singers: Supply down to 20 today, with two units in the red for the first time. The sub bucket brigade may bring in enough supply to keep Allied arty firing, so it may take a little while before Dave understands the supply situation fully. Singers should hold into '43.

Oz: Quiet.

SWPac: No enemy activity except a few subs.

SoPac: After Dave reclaimed Abemama, he came no further. Marine RCT reached Canton Island.

CenPac: No enemy activity except a few subs.

NoPac: Enemy subs lurking but thus far haven't managed a hit. Marine CD unit reached Attu and an Army RCT reached Amchitka.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 580
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/1/2019 4:06:35 PM   
Canoerebel

12/26/42 to 1/6/43

SigInt: This is like the triple-play in baseball - very rare, always useful.

China: No probes or pushes on the MLR, to my continuing surprise. That 4th refugee from Wenchow has a chance of making it to the Chinese MLR, which would be amazing. It really doesn't matter one way or the other but it's just fun to see.

Bay of Bengal: Allied stirrings making the report of CV Kaga especially helpful.

Singers: Dave has attacked twice, on 1/2 and on 1/5. Both came off at 1:2, both dropped forts a level (now to 4), and both resulted in heavy Japanese disablements. Singers will fall in a week or two.

Oz Land: A few enemy subs nosing around but otherwise quiet.

SWPac: Ditto on subs and quiet.

SoPac: Japanese vessels at Tarawa. Both of us seem to be glancing at the other, wondering what if anything is up. But mostly just quiet.

CenPac: A few enemy subs; Allies concentrating on building Midway.

NoPac: Canadian brigade ashore at Attu, the last major reinforcement needed to provide the minimally needed security in the chain of islands. Now the focus changes to building ports/airfields to allow supply to come in. I assume Dave will want to assert himself in this region at some point (maybe not), so the mission is to make each garrison as strong and self-sufficient as possible.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/1/2019 4:07:26 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 581
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/1/2019 6:33:33 PM   
Canoerebel

1/7/43 and 1/8/43

Nothing material has changed since the previous post, with one exception, but this caught my eye:

SigInt: Why is 3rd Tank Div. on the way to Mersing. It won't be needed to take Singers, that's for sure. If this is true rather than misdirection it would suggest David is attending to defense in depth.

The Exception: A prowling IJN sub near Ceylon caught wind of a CL/DD combat TF about five hexes SE of the island. The sub took 6 non-lethal hits for its troubles. What Dave makes of this is of interest. This'll be the first TF he's spotted between Ceylon and the Andamans. Its part of a much, much larger force. I don't think he has detection on any of the TFs, yet, but he'll be thinking. That's one reason the recent SigInt about CV Kaga was meaningful.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 582
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 4:31:58 PM   
Canoerebel

1/7/43 to 1/13/43

Bay of Bengal: As the situation at Singers draws to a close, I've been doing things to tickle Dave's perception that the Allies might be up to something in the Bay of Bengal. While I hadn't gotten confirmation that he had bought in, recent SigInt that CV Kaga was at Balikpapan was helpful. A day or two later, I had a SigInt "heavy signals" hit in the Java Sea, between Balik and Singers. Since KB was confirmed here not long ago (raiding up around Diego Garcia and south of Ceylon), I felt I had actionable reason to believe that KB was in this region. Then, a few days back, a carrier TF and a bunch of combat and troop transport TFs departed Ceylon, heading SE, skirmished with an enemy sub, and got picked up by enemy search aircraft NW of the Andamans. Time to pull the trigger.

Invasion of Tarawa: Only recently has this area begun heating up, as the Allies landed detachments at Abemama and Tabituea. Dave reacted by countervading Abemama, retaking it, and posting a combat TF at Tarawa. He knew my carriers were at Ceylon and that I had some forces, apparently not that strong, in this region. Based upon what I knew, I figure he at most had modest carriers and combat TFs in this region. Moreover, his airfield network is poor (Tarawa just went to level one).

Tarawa invasion force left Los Angelese several weeks back, stopping at Pearl to offload (to recover disruption) and then immediatley reloading. I had put together a force of about eight CVEs and CV Yorktown, which left San Diego for the first time in the war, more than a year after Pearl Harbor! The approach to Tarawa was uneventful, as best I could tell. There were sub interactions north of Pearl, but I didn't think enough to prompt a major reaction by Dave to beef up CenPac.

One CVE TF came in from the Panamal Canal, by way of Tahiti (to refuel). The other CVE TF and Yortown came from Pearl. Two days ago, the merged about 15 hexes SE of Tarawa, without detection.

About 9 hexes SE of Tarawa, the TFs were detected, but I don't think Dave got solid info on York. He knew I had a CVE or more, but that was probably it. Yesterday, his carriers launched a strike against my shipping, then three hexes SE of the island. Due to a mistake on my part, CAP was modest but fortunately so was his strike package at range 8. An xAK took heavy damage and CVE Long Island took light damage. And it still looked like he didn't have good detection on the York TF.

After recovering my sanity (how could I forget to have 70% of my fighters set?), I surmised that Dave was probably under the impression that my force was weak, protected only by a handful of CVEs. I also felt like I had enough information to deduce that his force wasn't much stronger - that most of his carriers were in the Singers theater. So I elected to proceed, adjusting all settings and setting my strike aircraft to range three (emphasizing defense on this opening round).

The results were good thought not spectacular. At a cost of three DDs and perhaps 10 aircraft, Dave lost a DD, probably CA Takao, and 100 naval aircraft.

A scouting landing at Tarawa also showed that the garrison is probably weak enough to take on. So D-Day will be tomorrow.

Bullwinkle often and properly noted that trying for elaborate surprise can be counterproductive. That's especially true later in the war, when the Allies don't need to fritter away time jinking here and there - just go in! But early in the war, when the enemy is stronger or can be at any point, surprise and misdirection can be key. It's not often that a complicated plan two oceans apart dovetail so well.

And here's the thing. I really don't know that Dave doesn't have a strong carrier TF inbound from Kwaj or Truk. I don't know that a sub won't strike York tomorrow. Or that the invasion won't bog down horribly. So the tables may turn spectacularly in the course of a turn. But today was fun.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 583
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 4:33:39 PM   
Canoerebel

1/13/43

Bay of Bengal: As the day opened, I didn't know the location of KB, though I suspected it was in the Singers region and might've been held there by the Allied feint into the bay. Then, even as the turn unfolded at Tarawa, KB shows up deep in the bay.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 584
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 4:45:53 PM   
Lecivius

Good Grief, you hit a Japanese DD with an aerial torpedo??!!??

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 585
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 4:48:02 PM   
BBfanboy

Awesome handling of a delicate approach and clash. I agree that CA Takao is doomed even if she disbands in Tarawa port. Well done!
Let's hope he throws his CV force at you on the expectation you are running away ...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 586
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 4:51:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Good Grief, you hit a Japanese DD with an aerial torpedo??!!??

Well, that DD did have Heavy Fires after the night SCTF clash. Maybe the smoke hid the torp!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 587
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 5:04:54 PM   
Lecivius

In all the time I have had this game, I have never seen a Japanese DD get hit by an aerial torpedo. Shot, shelled, bombed, rammed, strafed, burned, mined, collided, and once hitting a reef. So this is new to me

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 588
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 7:09:07 PM   
Canoerebel

1/14/43

D-Day, Tarawa: Things go pretty well on the day, as enemy attacks (subs, aircraft) are limited and do little meaningful damage. The landings go well except that I'm using xAPs, so that they are slow. My units are 100% prepped but the auto-shock attack comes off very low, due partly to only half the troops coming ashore and probably partly to a bad dice roll. My carriers and combat TFs will have to remain on station at least another day to cover additional landings of troops and supply. Now Dave's had enough time to bring up big stuff from Truk or Kwaj, if he had any there. Gulp. Pucker.

Singers: He tried his third attack of the month. It too came off at 1:2, dropped forts by one (to 3) and resulted in very heavy enemy disablements (nearly 500). He'll take the base in about a week.

Bay of Bengal: KB is withdrawing from the Bay back towards Singers or Georgetown or vicinity.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 589
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 8:03:52 PM   
HansBolter

Ugly but effective. In spite of the calculated AV drop you still pulled off a 2-1 and dropped forts to zero.

Your engineers paid dearly for that fort drop though.

I never bank on taking an atoll or small island on the initial assault unless I'm using a full division plus assets.

No breakdown of troops shown but I'm assuming you are leading with a regiment given your total un-adjusted AV.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 5/2/2019 8:10:56 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 590
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 9:27:02 PM   
Canoerebel

1/15/43 and 1/16/43

Tarawa: The base easily falls on D+1 (the 15th). The enemy garrison is destroyed. Lurking enemy subs push fish into several more transports, sinking one. Allied ASW damages one sub and destroy (confirmed) I-1.

On D+2, DS slides to the SE, still in range as transports finish unloading troops and max supply (17k at the 1/1 base). Tomorrow, all TFs will move out towards Tabituea, to offload remnant supply at that important backup base.

Tarawa airfield has two PBY squadrons and some fighters.

This op resembled the real Guadalcanal invasion in many respects, especially its ragged but successful early outcome. Will Dave fight hard here? I'm planning on it, but the strength of the Allied garrison should give him pause. And if he brings his carriers over here, to restore order, then he leaves other areas open for Allied adventuring.

This was a complicated, fun and important op. So the outcome was most encouraging. And, yet, this is nothing to crow about. Dave might spin it this way: "He turns my long, long preoccupation with Singers into this one gain." Overall, he lost a CA (I think), a sub, and about 200 aircraft while I lost three DDs, several good xAPs, and a handful of aircraft. But it's not the ground that's important. Tarawa, or no Tarawa, is largely immaterial. The question is the fighting yet to come in this, the Year of Attrition.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 591
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 10:14:39 PM   
BBfanboy

What's the stacking limit for Tarawa in this mod? I know in stock I like to use every bit of the 30K S/L to bring in lots of engineers to build it and be ready to move on to the next islet taken.

I agree on your attrition strategy. Knocking off some of the most skilled IJ pilots in 1943 is very important, especially given the way they can now build the best aircraft in large numbers. How many aircraft did he lose total during the three or four days of approach and landings?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 592
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/2/2019 10:19:12 PM   
Canoerebel

30k is the stacking limit in this match, which I think is Stock 1 or 2.

He lost about 200 aircraft.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 593
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/3/2019 12:03:40 AM   
T Rav

Congratulations on a successful invasion. Sad to hear you lost the Lurline though. That was the ship my Mom took to rejoin her husband on Oahu shortly after the war ended.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 594
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/3/2019 10:39:24 AM   
seich_23

Nice AAR!

I think your opponent plays way to fast, I’m quite a noob but, isn’t still holding Singapore in 43 quite embarrassing for him? This AAR started in mid December and the game is now early 43, that’s almost 3 turns a day on average! I can’t imagine a Japanese player handling the first year of the war flipping 3 turns a day...

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 595
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/3/2019 12:38:15 PM   
Canoerebel

We're flipping turns at a furious rate. When we're both around, we routinely do five or six turns a day. Dave is an old timer, so should know exactly what he's doing in the flow of the game and of the calendar. But I don't knw him (or the Japanese side) well enough to know if he's able to do due diligence to each turn or whether he's short-changing himself. I just don't know yet.

Thus far, I've been able to handle the flow. In fact, I'm implementing many things I've learned in recent games into an efficient routine of handling each turn. I started tending to pilot training two games back, but only this game understand all aspects, so am able to do it much better. (The one thing I have left to get a grasp on is TraCom - when, why, and who?) The feeling of needing to be everywhere - now! at once! - long ago faded away. Huge numbers of Allied ships never or rarely leave ports, typified by Yorktown, whose on her first mission of the war. This practice has cut way down on my ship losses early war. I used to have xAKs everywhere, much to the delight of John III's sub captains. So I feel good early game, but I don't know yet how that'll translate mid-game against an experienced foe who I think is defensive-minded.

The Allies holding Singers in '43 would be hard on a Japanese player, unless that player specifically had a well-thought-out plan to suck the Allied player into some trap that took advantage of the situation. I don't get the feeling that Dave has created a trap nor that he's overly concerned about Singers. I think he's focused primarily on defense and enjoying his successful run of killing Allied subs in the Malacca Straits.

Thanks for asking.

(in reply to seich_23)
Post #: 596
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/3/2019 12:42:03 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: T Rav

Congratulations on a successful invasion. Sad to hear you lost the Lurline though. That was the ship my Mom took to rejoin her husband on Oahu shortly after the war ended.

Thanks for reading, T Rav. Lurline is a big and valuable ship, so I hated losing her even without the personal connection. But I know how you feel. My former law partner, Jimmy Dick Maddox, was a crewman aboard the USS Paddle in WWII. I pay special attention to that ship.

I don't think Lurline was eligible for upgrade to APA class. I lassoed all those ships and sent them to a certain safe port since their arrival on map. There are currently 47 in that port. :)

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 597
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/3/2019 12:44:55 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

Ugly but effective. In spite of the calculated AV drop you still pulled off a 2-1 and dropped forts to zero.

I never bank on taking an atoll or small island on the initial assault unless I'm using a full division plus assets.

No breakdown of troops shown but I'm assuming you are leading with a regiment given your total un-adjusted AV.

One division and three small combat engineering units, plus a Marine CD and a naval base force. Most everything was 100% prepped. On D-Day, the amphibs only had to move one hex to unload, but the unloading still went slowly due to the xAP class ships. It was a raggedy op from that standpoint but fo9rtunately the enemy garrison was weak. A mixed brigade would've stopped me dead in my tracks.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 598
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/3/2019 12:55:42 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

One division and three small combat engineering units, plus a Marine CD and a naval base force. Most everything was 100% prepped. On D-Day, the amphibs only had to move one hex to unload, but the unloading still went slowly due to the xAP class ships. It was a raggedy op from that standpoint but fo9rtunately the enemy garrison was weak. A mixed brigade would've stopped me dead in my tracks.

Given that force structure looks like your adjusted AV result was just a bad die roll.

I typically like to include at least one tank and one artillery battalion in those types of assaults, but understand the limitations of putting together an op on the fly.

I mentioned in another thread on land combat that battalion, and especially company, sized engineers seem to get chewed up in division+ size engagements. I've had company sized engineers completely wiped out many times in division sized battles. Your outcome certainly reflects that.

Yet, they still got the job done. Posthumus medals for all!

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 599
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/5/2019 12:58:35 AM   
Canoerebel

1/17/43 to 1/25/43

China: No major incursions on the Allied MLR. More and more enemy bombers are active now (as Singers winds down), mainly vs. Changsha and Kukong, a Chinese base halfway between Changsha and Hong Kong. The Japanese seem to be concentrating an army at Kukong, which is held by two modest Chinese corps, but this is a salient meant to harass more than anything else. The Chinese hold stronger positions behind Kukong. So, for now, things look relatively stable.

Singapore: Japanese deliberate attacks continue, including two on back-to-back days. Forts are at 1 and the past two attacks were at 1:1. Accordingly, I pulled out General Slim on the 23rd - he's too good to lose. So he cost 150 PP in replacing Percival long, long ago, and 150 to extract. Singers may fall on the next attack. Allied recon just got active, working Port Blair, Rangoon, etc. I want to know what's there, in case KB shows up far away (like Tarawa region).

SWPac: No worrisome enemy activity.

SoPac: The enemy retired from Tarawa, as did DS. But my guys will be back soon, bringing reinforcements there and for Tabituea. Lots of enemy subs around Tarawa. Allied base-building is going pretty well. Dave may or may not counterinvade, but Allied forces will remain within calling distance just in case. This is a good place to fight in early '43.

CenPac: Engineers will get Port to 3 in about a week. Then I'll pull them out and insert a tank battalion.

NoPac: Additional engineers inserted at Attu with another base force a day away. I'm doing everything possible to expand that base (slowed, due to winter conditions) before spring, The bigger the base, the more supply it can hold. No enemy activity detected but Dave may well choose this far end of the limb as a likely target.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI