Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 2:33:25 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: Sub finishes off a damaged Jap DD (the second confirmed sunk). It looks like South Dakota TF has retired north, into the Bismarck Sea. Gulp.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 901
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 2:36:30 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: Mutsu has detached, which is a good sign, but South Dakota is about the last man standing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 902
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 2:42:32 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: The very early stages of the a.m. search phase show indications that DS & The Herd retired to or near the desired point, two hexes from Milne Bay. If true, that's significant.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 903
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 2:51:56 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: Here comes the enemy LBA...and they find Montpelier TF where I think (thought?) SD TF would be.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 904
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 2:56:10 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: More enemy LBA. I can't figure out why there isn't more LRCAP. Where are my carriers? Why isn't Milne Bay's LBA helping?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 905
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 3:00:49 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: This is nice.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 906
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 3:05:02 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: Now I know the location of DS - right where it's supposed to be.

Just prior to this attack, NavSearch reported KB north of Kavieng. Dave is leery of sending his carriers into the Bismarck Sea, where I have lots of subs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 907
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 3:08:29 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/45

Battle of Rabaul: There's Dave's carriers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 908
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 3:11:22 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: The daylight phase ends on a high note.

….wait, that means South Dakota avoided air strikes! But she's way out in Indian country now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 909
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 3:16:40 PM   
USSAmerica

I'm enjoying the play by play posts, Dan!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 910
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 3:18:07 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Battle of Rabaul: Probing deliberate attack by a couple of small armored units cause a noticeable reduction in enemy AV. This battle would end quickly, but Dave has the ability to insert reinforcements (he might or might not) and bombard and bomb. So, in the short term, I don't expect a conquest. But I also don't think Dave will destroy the Allied army.

CL Montpelier and a DD sank near the end of the turn. The Allied navy did will, overall.

Now comes the interesting maneuvering - How does Dave react? How do I handle DS? And what invasions can be triggered now with some safety?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 911
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 3:33:36 PM   
jwolf

So far, surface ship losses look about even. Both sides' CV forces are fresh, and about evenly matched? Could be ... interesting. Rabaul will certainly fall if Dave does not bring in reinforcements. So the question is if he thinks that base is important enough (most likely yes) and does he have something ready to go. I am wondering what each side has available in the way of surface TFs now.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 912
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 4:13:41 PM   
Canoerebel

In the game, I've lost two BBs and two CAs total, plus 6 CLs (one of those today). The Allied navy is strong and here in strength.

Overall, I think the situation favors the Allies. It's a confused radar screen for Dave, with so many bases suddenly flipping and so many tasks to accomplish. Allied subs are fresh and have flooded the area. He knows it. In contrast, the Allies have spent the last three weeks whittling away enemy subs in this region (he's taken heavy sub losses but has more to commit). He's trying to evacuate Lunga even as he tries to stabilize New Britain and vicinity. Two of his combat TFs just took considerable damage, while just one of the Allies did.

The one thing that worries me - my CVs have been campaigning for weeks. Sorties are fine, but I've lost a few Hellcats here and there. I'm counting on LBA to provide LRCAP, but judging from this turn that didn't work out so well.

Dave may press "go" on a flank attack, as he's been surprised (he was expecting to fight in the DEI, not here) and nipped pretty hard, so he'll want revenge, if it's practicable. But I think the odds are higher that he'll remain loathe to enter the small bodies of water where he knows Allied subs are waiting.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 913
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 4:30:12 PM   
Gridley380

Exciting! :-)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 914
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 4:31:13 PM   
Canoerebel

2/1/44

Situation: That turn turned out well, and KB didn't press things. I'm not as certain about tomorrow's set-up. I don't think Dave will send KB by flank speed. I don't want him too. But it's not out of the question. I'm worried about how a carrier battle might turn out, especially if LBA doesn't contribute good LRCAP.

But the objective of all this - beyond the sinking of ships and the taking of bases - was to draw KB into the fray in order to facilitate moves elsewhere. Those forces are underway or just about to be.

As a player, this turn was simply a blast. It's one of those rare turns that are frenetic and good, so thanks for coming along for the ride (I'm glad you enjoyed it, USSAmerica).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 915
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/9/2019 6:44:23 PM   
Canoerebel

2/2/44

Solomon Sea Region: KB didn't give chase and somehow disappeared. Enemy LBA sortied against DS from Lae, ineffectively. And patrolling DDs messed up a loaded troop convoy retiring from Rabaul.

The highest priority (as always) is doing everything possible to protect DS and the big amphibious ships. The second highest is to find KB. How'd it just vanish? Weather might've concealed it but it's also possible Dave pulled it back to Sorong, pronto, fearing Allied moves in the DEI. I need to confirm ASAP. If it's retired, that re-opens the Solomon Sea region to Allied activities. If it's still nearby, other Allied ops newly underway elsewhere can continue.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/9/2019 6:45:38 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 916
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 1:19:01 AM   
T Rav

I come home from work and lo, Rabaul invaded, DS and the Herd OK, and a Battleship dances like a ballerina... Or at least an South Dakotan Elephant in Pointe shoes. Very cool.

T Rav

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 917
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 2:00:12 AM   
Canoerebel

It's been a rollicking ride the past eight weeks. Five major invasions, not-stop action, tons of fighting.

The craziness began on 11/23/43, when long-range recon from Christmas Island (IO) found KB at Singers. Dave was leaning hard that way. Figuring that was the case, the Allies had spent five months shifting most everything from the IO to Pearl, with a general notion of commencing offensive activities with an invasion of Wake sometime in mid- or late-December. But with KB at Singers, the green light was given. And everything broke loose:

11/23/43: Recon finds KB at Singers
11/27/43: D-Day at Wake Island
11/29/43: Battle of Kusaie Island, in which DS destroys Mini-KB.
12/24/43: Recon reports KB at Sorong
12/28/43: D-Day at Milne Bay.
1/9/44: D-Day at Ponape
1/17/44: D-Day at Port Moresby
1/31/44: D-Day at Rabaul
2/1/44: Naval Battle of Rabaul

Non-stop heavy campaigning stretching from Wake to the Coral Sea and from Tarawa to Truk, with supporting ship movements even farther flung, like Sydney, Pearl, etc.

The general plan was in development for many months, though there was flexibility to switch to targets of opportunity (originally the main axis was into the Arafura Sea, but opportunities prompted a switch to Rabaul and the Admiralties).

The damage inflicted on the Japanese navy has been considerable, while the Allies have taken minimal losses. Here's the tally:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 918
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 2:25:41 AM   
USSAmerica

The Japanese CV and BB/CA losses are impressive, but killing 15 SS in less than 3 months is significant!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 919
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 2:31:18 AM   
T Rav

I was looking at the same 15-1 ratio in subs. CR, you do have a knack for the Sub/ASW thing. It seems to free things up for you in the latter parts of your campaigns.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 920
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 9:26:39 AM   
Canoerebel

Dave had a ton of subs waiting at Wake Island and at Milne/Port Moresby. There was no choice but to proceed, and Allied ASW did good work, whittling away his subs. By the invasion of Rabaul, there were only a few left to contend with. But his subs picked off the CVE, an AO and PF, and sniped most of the merchants damaged by shore guns at Ponape.

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 921
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 9:30:57 AM   
Canoerebel

2/3/44

Whither the Heck KB? How did Dave's carriers just disappear? A few turns back, they were lurking near Kavieng. Then, Poof!, they were gone. There are four Allied invasion fleets at sea all over the place....but KB properly positioned could interdict any of them. The only one I'm comfortable proceeding with at the moment is Lunga, with 1st Cav. Div. aboard transports with DS, and 2nd Marine Div. aboard transports not far from Lunga. I think the sudden move SE is a good idea, so that's the revised plan.

BB South Dakota suffered only light damage. She could remain on station if needed, but BB New Jersey just arrived. So SD will report to Pearl for repairs. Colorado only has modest damage. She'll accompany DS to Lunga and then make for Pearl.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 922
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 9:33:58 AM   
Canoerebel

2/3/44

Battle of Rabaul: First deliberate attack does very well. The enemy AVs dropped precipitously. Barring reinforcements, the base should fall within the week.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 923
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 9:48:04 AM   
jdsrae

Good stuff! Which Generals did you pick for II Corps and the Divs?

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 924
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 9:55:37 AM   
Canoerebel

The Aussie commanders look pretty good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 925
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 11:27:36 AM   
jdsrae

The Divs look well under strength so fair to have a few BRIGs in command, but if you fill them out and feel they are worthy of having a MGEN one day then Vasey was 6 and 7 Div commander. Bridgeford was GOC 3 Div in Bougainville. I know rank makes no difference to the die rolls and you might have better things to spend th PP on.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 926
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 1:21:05 PM   
Canoerebel

Until recently, those three divisions had been quietly posted in Oz, prepping and still with their original 1941 squads. Perhaps a month ago, when Milne Bay invasion was greenlighted, the divisions were upgraded. Two of them were used at Milne Bay and took some disablements. The third, I think, was in Oz in reserve. When Milne fell, all three switched prep to Rabaul and came ashore at about 55% prep. When fresh, each only had about 325 AV (due to the recent upgrade from '41 squads, I think). That's why their now at less than 200 AV.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 927
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 3:12:58 PM   
SuluSea

Very enjoyable reading the past few pages. Will be reading the rest with great pleasure.

Best of luck!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 928
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 3:14:18 PM   
Canoerebel

2/4/44 and 2/5/44

KB: Dave made it vanish, creating unease at Allied HQ. Three invasion forces are at sea but in holding patterns, until things develop a bit. The fourth is approaching Lunga, with D-Day perhaps the day after tomorrow. If Dave waves a wand, pulls a yak out of his top hat, and KB appears at Tulagi, I will being drinking bourbon. But Allied subs and ships and patrols have the area well covered, so I just don't think that's possible.

Rabaul: Today's 1:1 attack dropped forts to 1. AV of Dave's two fighting units dropped to 0. My infantry is moderately fatigued now, but it's worth another try tomorrow. Take this base and Dave's garrisons at Lae and (retreating from) PM are isolated, and the Allied front lines take a major step forward.

Wear and Tear: Allied carriers and combat vessels have accumulated some damage during their extended campaigning, but a survey shows it's not a long-term issue. Mostly its SYS damage scattered here and there. A few days or a week at Townsville will be sufficient for all ships. Perhaps one or two will need time at Brisbane or Sydney. So the foot won't be taken off the gas pedal. After Lunga, DS will stop at Townsville for quick repairs and to take on aircraft replacements (fighter squadrons have lost perhaps 60 aircraft over the last two months).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 929
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/10/2019 3:15:05 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Very enjoyable reading the past few pages. Will be reading the rest with great pleasure.

Best of luck!

It's great to have old timers along for the ride, Sulu, thanks.

Newcomers too. :)

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI