Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 2:28:00 PM   
Canoerebel

4/8/44

Battle of Timor Sea: Enemy reinforcements bound for Java.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/3/2019 2:29:56 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1201
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 2:34:05 PM   
Canoerebel

4/8/44

Battle of Timor Sea: It was at this point, armed with the info you've just seen, that I took the long bike ride to mull over options. The decision: "While waiting for the reinforcing carriers to come from Townsville, move on Dili and the dot hexes north of Timor." So 3rd Marine Div. and an arty unit, which has begun loading aboard transports the turn before, moved out. APDs at Darwin to load elements of 33rd Div. for snap invasions. And, in the meantime, DS had a small troop transport carrying part of an Aussie aviation engineering unit that had some assault value (but no av support, because that previously came ashore at Taberfane.

The transports were given orders to proceed to one of those dot hexes, with D-Day tomorrow.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1202
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 2:47:11 PM   
Gridley380

Great play-by-play. :-)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1203
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 3:13:58 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, Gridley. I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm thankful there are readers.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 1204
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 3:17:31 PM   
Canoerebel

4/9/44

Battle of Timor Sea: The Japanese remain quiet (at the moment), as the Allies begin shifting from Koepang-focused ops to ops focused on opportunities to the north. Sooner or later, this probing and poking will elicit a strong response. It will get bloody again. With Darwin (and Koepang, soon) in Allied hands, it's a good time to fight. Allied reinforcements are pouring into theater, so that there is the potential to keep moving all the way to Java and Celebes. Dave will fight before I get that far, so let's see what happens where and when.

The seven CVEs are at Cairns, moving to Horn Island tonight. CV Wasp II will arrive at Cairns tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1205
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 5:14:46 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

My arrival at Antietam National Battlefield about 12 years ago was one of the most remarkable historical moments I've experienced.

My family and I had just left Harpers Ferry, where we had lunch and a tour. We drove across the Potomac and into Maryland, bound for the battlefield. We were busy laughing and talking, and I figured at some point we'd see a sign or an entrance or a bunch of touristy buildings as we neared our destination. Instead we just drove through beautiful rural and farm country, topped a rise, and suddenly saw the Dunker Church in the near distance. It was like we had driven from 2003 right into the Brady photo of that church, with battle damage, taken in 1862.

A bunch of our best Civil War battlefields are still rural or semi-rural and lack the horrid development that mars so much of our countryside today. Antietam is a gem (or was, in 2003).

I've visited most of the Army of Northern Virginia battle sites. Antietam is probably the best preserved due to its location. Manassas and Fredericksburg are totally over-developed, although you can still look down from Marye's Heights and get an idea of what the Yanks faced. The sprawl west from Fredericksburg is also now impacting Chancellorsville and Spottsylvania. And, of course, Gettysburg has a McDonald's in the sunken road at the base of Cemetary Ridge. I've never visited anything around Richmond-Petersburg, but I'm sure all that has been developed.

Antietam and Chickamauga are spectacular. Kennesaw Mountain is pretty good. And I suspect Shiloh is excellent, as it's in a mostly rural location.

Shiloh is fabulous! Visited in the mid 90's while I was still living in Memphis.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1206
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 5:17:48 PM   
BBfanboy

I think Fast Transport TFs set at "Mission Speed" always travel at Full Speed. The only way I have found to limit this is to set them at Cruise Speed.
You might want to watch the fuel level on those APDs.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1207
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 5:59:00 PM   
Crackaces

I would have expected Nell's and Betty's from Celebes to terrorize along with the KB. From my perspective, that is the risk of a Java focused vector as opposed to island hopping through the Marshals and Mariana Islands. There are so many potential airbases with inter-locking CAP distances that it is very hard to suppress the enemy air. Combine the KB with multiple air platforms from airbases and typically this is a very expensive affair. The IJ have not built any layers of defense really to defend the Java / Timor seas, and the Allies are engaging in a cake walk of sorts. Soon I suspect the Allies will be with airbases to stage 4E raids(and 2E attacks) into precious IJ lifelines ..

I have to think that the IJ will bring the support and platforms needed to defend ... although I think the train has already left the station so to speak ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1208
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 6:18:23 PM   
Canoerebel

The Nettie/Frances/etc. threat is real but is somewhat counterbalanced by the risk that sorties will flail against massive CAP. That tends to keep both players pretty honest.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1209
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 7:16:53 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

The Nettie/Frances/etc. threat is real but is somewhat counterbalanced by the risk that sorties will flail against massive CAP. That tends to keep both players pretty honest.

I have to think that a coordinated attack with the KB has to be on the agenda .. else the Allies will continue to advance -- being unstoppable. Once you have bases full of fighters and bombers .. the IJ are in deep trouble ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1210
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/3/2019 7:59:41 PM   
Canoerebel

That battle took place about 10 turns back (I don't recall if you were reading along, then). It'll happen again, because I'll keep the pressure moving forward until it does. If possible, I'd prefer that it not happen until Wasp II and the CVEs arrive in about ten days.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1211
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 1:29:46 PM   
Canoerebel

4/10/44 and 4/11/44

A busy and productive couple of days around Timor, but first a bit of perspective. Even as the front roils and requires so much attention, there's a lot going on behind the lines. The Coral/Solomon seas region are good examples.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1212
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 1:40:23 PM   
Canoerebel

4/10/44 and 4/11/44

West Coast, Oz: A critical but non-sexy op taking place along the west coast of Oz. The army needed to push further west is about to reach Darwin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1213
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 1:55:12 PM   
Canoerebel

4/10/44 and 4/11/44

The Cauldron

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1214
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 2:33:21 PM   
Canoerebel

4/11/44

Intel Screen: The bottom line, not to be obsessed over but always kept in mind.

Since the last post, the big changes have been in Ships and Bases, the Allies taking leads in both categories. Pretty efficient fighting over the past 4+ months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1215
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 4:40:29 PM   
Canoerebel

After a lot of thought, the APD, set to flank speed, will try for Watampone. It's six hexes distant. Success should stir the hornet's next greatly. I only have one small amphibious TF carrying a small Aussie unit available to move on success, but a division prepping for the base will leave Darwin tonight for Koepang. The bigger question is whether I would want to take on KB that deep this soon. After weighing the pluses and minuses, I felt like keeping maximum pressure on was the best move.

Other APDs will move on Bima, Ruteng and Waingapoe, which are undefended and will be easy (unless Dave send out combat TFs, guessing that these are next).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1216
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 4:51:48 PM   
RangerJoe

If you have relatively light units to move in after the invasion, that would be a help.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1217
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 5:32:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

After a lot of thought, the APD, set to flank speed, will try for Watampone. It's six hexes distant. Success should stir the hornet's next greatly. I only have one small amphibious TF carrying a small Aussie unit available to move on success, but a division prepping for the base will leave Darwin tonight for Koepang. The bigger question is whether I would want to take on KB that deep this soon. After weighing the pluses and minuses, I felt like keeping maximum pressure on was the best move.

Other APDs will move on Bima, Ruteng and Waingapoe, which are undefended and will be easy (unless Dave send out combat TFs, guessing that these are next).

Good move!

L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace! - Napoleon Bonaparte

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1218
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 6:05:39 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I could swear I recall George C. Scott quoting that in the movie Patton.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1219
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/4/2019 7:57:11 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

You are correct, he did.

― Julia Child

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1220
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 4:46:54 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

You are correct, he did.

That may well be, but the quote is originally from Georges Danton.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Georges_Danton

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1221
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 2:06:20 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

You are correct, he did.

That may well be, but the quote is originally from Georges Danton.

Not quite the same quote, edited.

De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace et la Patrie sera sauvée!
Audacity, then again audacity, always audacity and the Fatherland will be saved!
Speech, Assemblée legislative, Paris (1792-09-02), reported in Le Moniteur (1792-09-04)

― Julia Child

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1222
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 2:23:45 PM   
Canoerebel

4/12/44

Java and Banda seas: Allied landing at Watampone successful. Dave can stymie the move by reinforcing by air, but if nothing else the base is open. Two Allied divisions are prepping for it. One is mostly at Koepang and the other will arrive in two turns. Watampone should turn into a major meeting engagement. Dave can't afford to lose it at this early point in the campaign.

But now comes that dicey decision making. The Allies have probably advanced about as far as they can without running up against enemy air and sea forces. Dave will be assembling his forces, he'll know the likely vectors of advance for the Allies, and he can plan the ambush for the time and place of his choosing. Or there is a chance he's still nursing his wounds, unable to react for days or weeks. I don't know, at this point. Meaningful Allied carrier reinforcements will arrive in about four turns, so it makes sense (or doesn't it) to wait for them? Then a CV arrives in about six days; another in about 20 days; another in about 25 days. It's always tempting to wait for more - always more! - but the opportunities are there now - always now!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1223
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 2:46:51 PM   
Canoerebel

One key to this campaign will be how fast, and how safely, I can bring engineers and supplies to these new bases. These are/will be dangerous waters, and the Allied advance has outstripped the ability of the logisticians to keep up.

Right now, a host of engineers are arriving at Darwin, and many more are at Normanton, awaiting transports.

The first engineers for Koepang are about a day or two out (perhaps I should divert that unit further forward, but there's still damage at Koepang and I need that base big now, now, now!) So getting more engineers forward isn't a snap of the fingers. It's going to take some time.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1224
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 4:12:24 PM   
Crackaces

Your repair estimates are for Darwin. Sydney for example would be faster. I am not sure worth moving.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1225
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 4:51:22 PM   
RangerJoe

Air transports can bring the soft elements forward, APD can do this as well so the work can start. Transports can then bring in the heavy equipment which can then join the unit and be in combat mode right away.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1226
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 4:59:54 PM   
Canoerebel

Subject to ability and availability. Most of these bases are dots, so air transport isn't available (except via some float planes, but I prefer not to use them in that capacity, unless in emergency). The APDs are needed for many missions, including your suggestion. Sooner or later, my APDs are going to bump into an aroused and angry enemy. For now, they're being used to move troops forward as fast as possible.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1227
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 6:01:11 PM   
RangerJoe

Of course, you could stage the soft elements to Koepang and then use APDs. But I am sure that you have thought of that already.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1228
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/5/2019 8:15:45 PM   
jdsrae

Don’t let engineers get off the boat in Darwin... or good luck getting them out of the bars on Mitchell Street and back on the boat!

https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/only-in-the-territory/unwritten-rules-of-mitchell-st/story-fnk2tg5d-1227384509276

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1229
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/6/2019 12:26:29 PM   
Squamry

Don't forget the SSTs can also move engineers (and small amounts of supply).

Really enjoying the write up BTW.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 1230
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI