Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/17/2019 8:38:39 PM   
Canoerebel

Ignore this. Then ignore the next.

I've lost my mind, clicking "Edit" when I mean to post, then clicking post when I mean to edit, then clicking quote when I mean to reply.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/17/2019 8:40:22 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1441
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/17/2019 8:39:13 PM   
Canoerebel

Ignore this post. It doesn't count. It didn't happen. There is a vacuum here. Nothing but emptiness. A black hole.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1442
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/17/2019 9:14:24 PM   
BillBrown

Are we supposed to disregard the above two posts?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1443
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/17/2019 9:15:36 PM   
Canoerebel

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1444
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/17/2019 9:32:20 PM   
BillBrown

Quick, post something interesting in those two posts and I will change mine. Something about a tree in the forest.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1445
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/17/2019 9:33:24 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm pretty tired today. Late night, early morning, busy day, nearly nodding off at the keyboard. Then came the posts above, when I knew I'd lost it.

Just in from Dave is another turn. Clearly, I was too tired when I entered the orders. :)

I won't leave you hanging: As part of the turn, I decided to detach a DD TF to bombard Kendari - low risk and the base would be nearby. Only....I selected the lead TF that all other TFs are following. So DS end up sitting atop Kendari throughout the day. Fortunately, no misfortunes befell the TFs. More later tonight.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1446
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/17/2019 9:42:15 PM   
T Rav

Yikes!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1447
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/17/2019 11:04:09 PM   
JohnDillworth

Time to unplug, count you blessing and read a good book until you fall asleep. Dream of Braves playoff games

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 1448
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 12:18:04 AM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, John.

My wife is in Baltimore tonight, on business. I'm home alone (all kiddies having fledged), listening to the Braves and reading Rick Atkinson's The Redcoats are Coming. A good night, eh?

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1449
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 2:05:29 AM   
BBfanboy

It looks like Kendari is the key to his air defences for a wide area. If you ever get the chance to land 18 UK division at Kolaka and march it to Kendari, that would be a coup!

As for the success of your subs, their much superior radar gives them the advantage of first detection most of the time and thus the surprise attack coding kicks in. I would guess that the IJ sub would have to be submerged already (so it is not detected by radar) and the Allied sub surfaced and crossing right in front of the IJ sub. I think your sub vs sub advantage is probably 20 to 1 or better (assuming the Allied sub is not already badly damaged).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1450
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 3:04:46 AM   
Canoerebel

I didn't know that about subs. Thanks for the insights.

He's weighted towards the east (north, true), at the moment, protecting the Homeland (and SigInt just reported a division inbound to the Luzon Peninsula). Until DS again dominates (perhaps 45 days), I'll have to be cautious probing towards Kendari, Morotai and Sorong. KB, using flank speed, can pop up quickly. I can make some progress in that region, as in taking Boela, but no loitering until DS is whole.

With Dave weighted to the east, there's some breathing room on the west side to advance the building of the islands taken between Timor and Java. Once they're large enough, there's the option of moving on Java. That shouldn't take too long (the building of bases).

Dave will then have some hard decisions about where to post KB to protect all his important bases - from Sorong to Manado to Kendari to Soerabaja.

There's going to be a lot happening in coming weeks.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1451
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 8:28:21 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Thanks, John.

My wife is in Baltimore tonight, on business. I'm home alone (all kiddies having fledged), listening to the Braves and reading Rick Atkinson's The Redcoats are Coming. A good night, eh?

quote:

y wife is in Baltimore tonight, on business. I'm home alone (all kiddies having fledged), listening to the Braves and reading Rick Atkinson's The Redcoats are Coming. A good night, eh?

I will add it to my long reading list. As to the Braves. I don't believe you own a TV but even if you did listening to the game on the radio is often a more intimate & rewarding experince. A good evening indeed.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1452
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 5:30:32 PM   
Canoerebel

I love Braves baseball on the radio. I like the pace, the fact that I can be doing other things, and the insights and conversation of the broadcast team, who provide a lot of info about the players, about current trade talk, the minor leagues, baseball history, etc.

I wonder if baseball on the radio will become a dinosaur or extinct? Will podcasts or something else take over?

To me (and to me only, I'm not speaking for anybody else) baseball on television has lost a lot of the allure it once had. I hate the modern graphics - boxes showing the strike zone; CGA adds on green screens behind the plate; etc. And the pretty young girls and handsome young men seem to be there for looks as opposed to their knowledge of the sport. I'd rather have grizzled old men who grew up with the game telling me about the game.

Post #: 1453
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 5:36:14 PM   
Canoerebel

5/22/44 to 5/24/44

DEI: DS completed its magical mystery tour, effectively drawing a few enemy strikes that got chewed up but accidentally visiting Kendari in a foible that fortunately didn't lead to disaster.

There is a heckuva lot going on. A lot of that is behind the scenes (activities in other theaters, repairing carriers and other key ships, preparation, etc.) but there's also a fair bit happening right here. I'm trying to push forward carefully but effectively to put the right units on the right island to get them built up to allow further progress soon. This is an exciting and challenging little vignette of the game, but perhaps more to me than to ye.

Capital ship triage is going really well. Even up to a few turns ago, Dave was bombing dot hexes in the DEI, trying to find all those damaged ships holed up in port. He has every right to believe that four TTs destroyed CV Intrepid or left her a hulking ruin at a dot hex. Instead, she's at Townsville, making steady progress on repairs. What a crazy, fickle game this can be.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1454
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 6:59:01 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

I love Braves baseball on the radio. I like the pace, the fact that I can be doing other things, and the insights and conversation of the broadcast team, who provide a lot of info about the players, about current trade talk, the minor leagues, baseball history, etc.

I wonder if baseball on the radio will become a dinosaur or extinct? Will podcasts or something else take over?

To me (and to me only, I'm not speaking for anybody else) baseball on television has lost a lot of the allure it once had. I hate the modern graphics - boxes showing the strike zone; CGA adds on green screens behind the plate; etc. And the pretty young girls and handsome young men seem to be there for looks as opposed to their knowledge of the sport. I'd rather have grizzled old men who grew up with the game telling me about the game.

I don't mind lovely young ladies telling me things as long as they know what they are talking about. Otherwise, they are eye candy.

Watch a game on television with the sound off but have the radio on for the game. I know that some teams have tried broadcasting with just the announcers at the field and no other drivel other than maybe statistics.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1455
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 7:31:00 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

You are the grizzled old man. Go to games, sit down with those young folk, and share with them the game you grew up with and the history of your team. Make some memories - not just for you but for that next generation.

I listen to my Cubs and Bears games (radio broadcast by way of the internet). I live in California and rarely have the opportunity to see one of my teams. On my bucket list when I retire: Wrigley field to see my Cubs play VS Milwaukee and Soldier Field to see a Bears VS Packers game.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1456
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 7:44:51 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

You are the grizzled old man. Go to games, sit down with those young folk, and share with them the game you grew up with and the history of your team. Make some memories - not just for you but for that next generation.

I listen to my Cubs and Bears games (radio broadcast by way of the internet). I live in California and rarely have the opportunity to see one of my teams. On my bucket list when I retire: Wrigley field to see my Cubs play VS Milwaukee and Soldier Field to see a Bears VS Packers game.

One thing about baseball, it can bring the young and old together to talk about something that they both can enjoy.

And I do like eye-candy.

But the Bears?

― Julia Child

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 1457
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 7:49:14 PM   
Canoerebel

As for me and my family, there are things we enjoy much more than ballgames.

I prefer baseball via radio, because I can also be reading, or playing this game, or painting the front porch, or whatever. Ya can't do that with the dadgum television. (P.S. We don't have television anyway.)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1458
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 8:15:56 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Canoerebel: What a crazy, fickle game this can be.

This should be included in the reply whenever a potential new player asks what the game is like!

BTW, I don't see any IJN subs in your area of the map, just one off Sorong. Withdrawal or issues with your detection of them?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1459
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 8:20:44 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

Better hurry if you want to see the original fields. A lot of them are being replaced in the last decade or so! Shea stadium comes to mind, mostly because of the TV documentary on the stadium's history and Billy Joel's concert at the close. Joel is a Brooklyn native.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 1460
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 8:46:25 PM   
JohnDillworth

Mets fan here. Not too nostalgic about Shea being replaced by Citifield. Saw hundreds of games there but Citifield is a much better facility than Shea in every possible way

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1461
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 8:55:02 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
BTW, I don't see any IJN subs in your area of the map, just one off Sorong. Withdrawal or issues with your detection of them?

He's pulled his subs back. Each time he commits in droves, they get chewed on and eventually he withdraws them. Then they come again.

Right now, Mouseover shows another massive stack of 1-ship TFs at Sorong. I assume (thanks to you or Ranger or some other helpful reader) that these are subs.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1462
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 9:00:41 PM   
Mark VII

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

One thing about baseball, it can bring the young and old together to talk about something that they both can enjoy.

And I do like eye-candy.

But the Bears?

You mean "daBears".

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1463
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 9:02:36 PM   
Canoerebel

Shortly after finishing 7th Grade in June 1974, I turned on the television and found the Braves playing St. Louis. That was the beginning of my love affair with the Braves.

The love affair made sense, for in the '70s, there was no baseball in Florida. The closest team was Atlanta. They were carried on WKAT Radio, but only on weekends. Apparently they were occasionally on television down there, too (this was before the Superstation made them popular). I went to my first game in the summer of 1977 - Braves vs. Phillies, with Dick Ruthven starting for the Braves. The Braves got chewed up, in a high-scoring game.

During my University of Georgia years, I attended a handful of games. But I found I enjoyed them on television and radio more.

I've been to perhaps four games since 2000. It would suit me not to go again. There are so many other things I enjoy doing more, if that makes sense.

Similarly, my last UGA football game was in 1997. I took my then three-year-old son.

I'll only go to one more football game in my life: if UGA ever plays the University of Miami. My dad was a huge Hurricanes fan and played for the team in the '40s (after WWII). He didn't miss a home game from the late '60s until well into the '90s. I waited for the day that the two teams might meet on the field, thinking it would be fun for Dad and I to go. Only, UGA and Miami haven't met on the field since the 1970s! Georgia has played every other team imaginable in the southern half of the country - Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, Tulane, etc., but not Miami.

Sorry for excessive reminiscing here.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1464
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 10:00:33 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Shortly after finishing 7th Grade in June 1974, I turned on the television and found the Braves playing St. Louis. That was the beginning of my love affair with the Braves.

The love affair made sense, for in the '70s, there was no baseball in Florida. The closest team was Atlanta. They were carried on WKAT Radio, but only on weekends. Apparently they were occasionally on television down there, too (this was before the Superstation made them popular). I went to my first game in the summer of 1977 - Braves vs. Phillies, with Dick Ruthven starting for the Braves. The Braves got chewed up, in a high-scoring game.

During my University of Georgia years, I attended a handful of games. But I found I enjoyed them on television and radio more.

I've been to perhaps four games since 2000. It would suit me not to go again. There are so many other things I enjoy doing more, if that makes sense.

Similarly, my last UGA football game was in 1997. I took my then three-year-old son.

I'll only go to one more football game in my life: if UGA ever plays the University of Miami. My dad was a huge Hurricanes fan and played for the team in the '40s (after WWII). He didn't miss a home game from the late '60s until well into the '90s. I waited for the day that the two teams might meet on the field, thinking it would be fun for Dad and I to go. Only, UGA and Miami haven't met on the field since the 1970s! Georgia has played every other team imaginable in the southern half of the country - Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, Tulane, etc., but not Miami.

Sorry for excessive reminiscing here.

The best part of watching football is the cheerleaders. I find that I actually prefer college games more than the professional teams. But right now, I am like you with no television. Unfortunately, no radio.

Did you like the 1991 World Series games? I think that some people in my hometown may have been rooting for one team while rooting for a player on the other team since his grandfather was from my hometown.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1465
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 10:03:54 PM   
Canoerebel

I lived and died a thousand deaths during the 1991 World Series.

The Braves were terrible, awful, epically bad from the late 1970s through 1990. Suddenly they got good and ended up in the World Series. It was magical beyond belief.

The Series was awesome - close games, back and forth, tight, well-played. By the last game, I was exhausted. (Partly because I'd been up late every night for months, watching and listening to games that sometimes went after midnight - every Braves fan did the same thing.) I knew the Braves were going to lose Game 7. Smolts vs. Morris. Epic game. Scoreless late. Very tight. By about the 8th inning, I had the biggest headache of all time. I was give out. I finally gave up and went to bed, knowing what result I'd find when I awakened the next morning.....

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1466
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/18/2019 10:44:16 PM   
RangerJoe

Yes, both teams went from worst to first in their respective leagues. The final game could have gone either way. If I remember correctly, it has been rated as the best World Series ever.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1467
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/20/2019 3:21:23 PM   
Canoerebel

5/25/44 to 6/1/44

Points: The Japanese lead is down to 55 points. It's 31.3k to 31.3k. Onward to victory, ever-proclaiming this inspiring motto: "It's the denominator, stupid!"

China: MLR is intact. Dave withdrew his army from Sian a few months ago. I thought they were making a long and circuitous march around my flank. It's increasingly likely that he's pulled into his own MLR. He may be done with major offensive operations in China.

Burma/Bay of Bengal: Dave is strongly entrenched. The Allied army withdrew in early '42 and never returned. It's been biding it's time. That time probably isn't too far off, now. The army is prepped for points from Pegu to Sabang to Benkolen. Dave has a number of level 8 and 9 airfields that require plenty of carrier CAP and some kind of confidence that KB is employed elsewhere.

DEI: 4EB found a bunch of enemy combat ships in port at Soerabja (shame on Dave!), doing heavy damage to a CL and four or five DDs. I think that's the last we'll see of meaningful enemy ships in port there.

Sorong and Ambon airfields are shut down. Dave brought in Irvings to try to restore nighttime order over Sorong. I feel sure he'll counterinvade Ternate, at some point.

I'm still working to push engineers forwards, to expedite airfield building for the campaigns to come; and getting units forward for the next round of action. The Namlea, Sorong and Ambon armies are mostly at Darwin now.

DS returned to Darwin a few days ago and took the opportunity to allow June '44 upgrades to the Essex Class carriers. That takes 14 days.

Triage of the ships damaged during all that fighting will take a bit longer than I had hoped. There are a bunch of them from Sydney to Townsville to Pearl and even a few (New Jersey and Alabama) about to reach West Coast yards.

Franklin and two repaired CVLs are inbound to Darwin, about ten days out. But most of the other damaged ships need a good five or six weeks in the yards.

What a great, great game this is. :)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1468
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/20/2019 4:24:28 PM   
JohnDillworth

This has been fun to read. I expect the bleeding is not done and it's hard to tell who has the advantage.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1469
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/20/2019 4:51:42 PM   
jwolf

quote:

Triage of the ships damaged during all that fighting will take a bit longer than I had hoped.

I enjoy reading your account -- and similar accounts in other AARs -- of the constant struggle to keep or return ships to active duty, repairing both minor wear and tear as well as major damage from combat. It's another aspect to the war: we have the air war, the naval war, the ground war, the production war, the supply war, the intel war, and now the repair war. I am not familiar with the Japanese side at all, but I wonder who has the decisive edge in what we might call the "repair theater" of operations.

Post #: 1470
Page:   <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  47 48 [49] 50 51   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI