Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 1:46:00 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Thanks for the tip. I knew R hotkey showed oil flow pipelines. I didn't realize that also indicates roads.

I am not aware of any oil flow pipelines. The other thing the R key shows is railroad tracks (major and minor). The RR tracks alone can be shown with the Y key, so there is some redundancy here.

Caveat - I have been using beta 1126a for only a couple of months after using 1124 (official patch) for years, so it is possible that oil pipeline routes were added but I have never seen anyone post about that.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1681
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 2:05:16 AM   
Canoerebel

Well, this is interesting. Unless I've lost my mine, the R key shows major and minor oil/supply routes. That would mostly mimic good roads too, but I didn't think R kay specifically pertained to roads.

But you know me. I'm the guy who, game after game, tries to withdraw subs at Pearl and thinks cold zone goes into effect on December 1.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1682
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 3:23:55 AM   
BillBrown

The R key has always since day 1 showed the road network. The Y key shows the railroad network. These are shown in the manual that came with the game.
I have never seen any hot key that shows oil pipelines. As far as I know there is no way to show both road and railroad networks at the same time.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1683
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 6:48:28 AM   
BBfanboy

Well here it is: Bright Red - minor (dirt) roads, Dark Red- major (hard surface) roads and Pink - rail network (obscured by roads in most places). Use the Y key to confirm the pink in this view corresponds to the rail network in the Y key view.

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1684
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 9:50:26 AM   
HansBolter

Pink is Trail, which is what a railroad is in road terms for units in move or combat modes.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1685
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 1:59:06 PM   
Canoerebel

Thank you. I've learned something I didn't know. It's a useful tool.

Somewhere back in the Forum or rules archives, I'm sure there is a blurb to the effect that the road system also indicates the most efficient flow of fuel and supply (duh). I don't think I made that up whole-cloth. But I might have.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1686
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 3:57:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Thank you. I've learned something I didn't know. It's a useful tool.

Somewhere back in the Forum or rules archives, I'm sure there is a blurb to the effect that the road system also indicates the most efficient flow of fuel and supply (duh). I don't think I made that up whole-cloth. But I might have.

I think you are right about that - much of the discussion when the game came out was about the hot keys and what they showed. Supply/oil/fuel/resource movement was one of the topics not well understood at the time and indicating where it would travel well was something we would want to know.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1687
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 4:43:18 PM   
HansBolter

Supply and presumably fuel, but am not sure on fuel, movement costs are listed on the Movement Cost chart in the manual:

Attachment (1)

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1688
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 4:43:57 PM   
HansBolter

and the last portion of the table:

Armor and artillery move very slowly down trails.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 10/12/2019 4:44:39 PM >

Hans

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1689
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/12/2019 7:15:51 PM   
Canoerebel

8/2/44 and 8/3/44

DEI: No sign of significant enemy interference as DS approaches Batavia, army begins moving from Semarang towards Batavia, and Allied paratroops take islands near Palembang. Most significantly, recon reports Oosthaven is vacant. That would be a signal blunder, if true. Paratroops to take a shot at it tomorrow, and troops are ready to move in, if successful.

From my perspective it appears that sustained battles starting from the Pacific and New Guinea and proceeding every NWerly, without any real pauses, have finally worn through Dave's hard shell. He's fought so hard for so long that it appears the Allies have burned through and into his "backyard." This won't last forever, but it's a serious issue for him while it does. I think the Allies will prevail in the Batavia/Java campaign over the next few weeks. And there's a chance the door to Sumatra is open.

Dave will turn and fight sooner or later, either from creative opportunity or creative desperation. He still hasn't used Musashi and Yamamato, and some of his carrier damaged in the central DEI fighting should be well on the road to healing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 10/12/2019 7:18:04 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1690
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/13/2019 8:51:23 AM   
Canoerebel

8/4/44

Sumatra: I had no troops prepping for Sumatra, as everything was devoted to Java and a few points far forward. But paratroops take Oosthaven today. If the Allies hold that port, an army fresh up from Darwin, plus some of the Ceylon army, can land and handle Palembang in the short- to medium term.

If Dave's going to fight in Java or rescue his fighters, and if he's going to fight for Palembang, KB has to come forward again. That's what I'm preparing for, but there's a chance he will conclude this campaign is lost. IF so, he might focus on rebuilding his fleet (damaged ships under repair) and creating a new MLR with strongpoints in Indochina, northern Borneo, and Mindanao.

His forces in Burma are under threat now, as the supply run from Singers won't be safe much longer. There've been movement dots at Rangoon for weeks now, as he's been drawing off mixed brigades and the like to commit to Java, etc.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1691
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/13/2019 12:01:46 PM   
obvert

Looks like a lot of good progress. Oosthaven is important, but I think those bases on Bangka Island are even more important if built into airbases, stocked with PTs and as staging for surface bombardments. Palembang has no importance other than as an oil/fuel producer, so simply shutting it down is all you need to do, as well as damaging facilities through air strikes.

If your troops are prepping for the PI or Borneo or Indochina I'd keep them on that track and cut off the entire Malay Peninsula, threatening to trap anything further South, and cutting all transport of fuel/oil/resources from the entire area.

I guarantee if you cut into the centre of the Sulu Sea and onto Northern Borneo you'll find less resistance, as these are tough areas to defend and there are too many small bases you could take in exactly the same way, with paras followed by flying in support, controlling the air, and then bringing in the transports.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1692
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/13/2019 1:55:49 PM   
BBfanboy

Garrison units are not well equipped and start out with low experience. If he is sending one to Tarakan it is just a speed bump to slow you down, but you don't even have to take Tarakan either.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1693
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/13/2019 6:10:54 PM   
Canoerebel

Given the specific set up and alignment of forces in this game, the route chosen makes it desirable to take Balikpapan, Palembang, Miri and, eventually, Singapore. But Morotai, Sorong, Manado, western Sumatra, most of Malaya and Burma aren't targets for this main wave. OF them all, Rangoon will be picked up by follow-on troops, eventually.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1694
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/13/2019 8:24:01 PM   
Canoerebel

8/5/44 and 8/6/44

DEI: Allied army is ashore at Oosthaven, without opposition. Allied paratroops took Merak, next to Batavia, and a US Army division will land there tomorrow. DS pummeled scores of enemy ships at Palembang.

A week ago, the situation in Java was so tight and tense, with everything hanging in the balance, that there was a decent chance the Allies would be bogged down for a month or more. I expressed a hope - too optimistic, I wondered at the time - that I might have Singapore isolated within "two months."

It's pretty clear that the long, sustained, advance has temporarily outstripped the enemy's ability to offer resistance. Java is a mess for Dave, and it looks like the siege of Palembang might begin in a few weeks.

Allied armies prepped for Sorong, Pagan, and Port Blair have switched to other targets. Places that once seemed in the probably path of advance are now behind me or off on a tangent not worth taking.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1695
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/14/2019 8:58:59 PM   
Canoerebel

8/7/44 to 8/11/44

Battle of Java: Dave did his best to reinforce in time and fight a delaying campaign, but the loss of that key hex ten days back proved decisive. The enemy units are isolated in three pockets. The biggest - Soerabaja - is showing serious signs of collapse.

Battle of Sumatra: The Allies are ashore in enough strength to not feel threatened by any possible counterattack. But Palembang has a big enough garrison (and 3x terrain) to discourage a move there, until troops from Java become available.

Death Star: It's been loitering in the same area long time. Ordinarily, I'd have retired a week ago. But so many important TFs are coming forward from all over the place that I've deemed it necessary to keep DS on station. That will be the case for several more days. So, as you might imagine, I'm scouring the area around Borneo - and all vectors, for that matter - for any signs of trouble.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1696
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/14/2019 10:27:26 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

DEI: Allied army is ashore at Oosthaven, without opposition. Allied paratroops took Merak, next to Batavia, and a US Army division will land there tomorrow. DS pummeled scores of enemy ships at Palembang.

Kudos on excellent work! Unlike in "Notes From a Small island", I think we will see a collapse of the Japanese economy before 1944 is over.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1697
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/14/2019 11:37:06 PM   
JohnDillworth

Dan, I feel for your opponent. He has played his navy well and gave you a few bloody noses. His play style has a fatal flaw in that he left many bases without garrisons. An opponent that flips 4 turns a day without complaint is a thing to be treasured. One hopes for a rematch one day
Great few weeks of reading here. Thanks

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1698
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/14/2019 11:54:05 PM   
Canoerebel

Dave is about the most easy-to-get-along with person you can imagine. He's the perfect opponent - fast, courteous, low-key, reliable, polite, even-keeled. He's been super.

The pace of the game may indeed have an impact on his play. Also, it might be just part of the way he likes to play - fast, without uber-micro-management. If so, that would be a disadvantage against an experienced opponent who enjoys the micromanagement.

The vacant bases can partly be explained by the sustained push by the Allies since late '43. His MLR (Milne, PM, Rabaul, LUnga) was stout. HIs secondary MLR (Koepang, Ambon, Kendari, Sorong) was decent. The third line (Soerabaja, Malang, Balikpapan) was decent. But once the Allies pushed beyond, he was out of bases and had suffered a series of tough air and sea losses.

He might've had a better network of bases, but I think his biggest issue is lack of patrols and recon. He doesn't do much. Patrols are spotty and recon basically non-existent. I don't know if that's to minimize ops losses (if so, what a catastrophic miscalculation) or because he's simply too busy or disinterested in that aspect of the game. The consequence is that I can do all kinds of things without detection 80% of the time I want to. He only has the most meager of information about where my assets are and what their focus might be. He can make logical deductions to cove a portion of the gap, but he's missing probably 70% of the info he could easily gather by rudimentary nav search and recon. Gaping hole that helps me tremendously.

As for my own gaping holes, I'm unaware of them mostly. If I was aware of them, I'd try to address them (eventually).

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1699
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 12:59:37 AM   
Canoerebel

As for his economy, I haven't a clue. He's been conservative in utilizing his assets. He doesn't go charging hither and yon. On the flip side, Magwe was destroyed basically from the start and he never go the China oil. So, with him beginning to lose the DEI producers, perhaps he will suffer. I'll do what I can to limit his sources. Whether it's early enough in '44 to have an impact in '45 remains to be seen.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1700
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 2:15:09 PM   
jwolf

Can you move freely through the Sunda Strait now? It looks like everything is OK (mines cleared for one thing) but I'm not sure. That would definitely add to your security about the Death Star so you could make a quick getaway in that direction, if need be. Also I think the airfields at some of Oosthaven, Merak, or Kalidjati should be big enough to replenish the DS once you get enough supply there.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1701
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 3:12:11 PM   
Canoerebel

Yes, the Sunda Strait is open. Allied ships have been freely passing through for a week.

Semereng is a level 5 port that just received a bunch of AKE/AD, so it can replenish DS.

Fuel is a limiting issue right now. A bunch of AOs will reach DS tonight, and that should allow full replenishment, but I definitely couldn't send DS & A Herd off on an expeditionary, long-term galivant into the South China Sea or Sulu Sea at the moment.

Taking Soerabaja is key for the fleet. It's a relatively safe port, for a variety of reasons, so that fuel can come forward with more security than to more exposed ports like Semarang or Oosthaven. With its level 65 shipyard, the CVEs can upgrade there (the 9/1/44 upgrade is an important one). And it'll be a stout triage center, especially when ARDs and ARs come up.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1702
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 3:25:36 PM   
RangerJoe

Once you capture some oil production and refining capacity, that will also make it easier on you. Would you rebuild any damaged oil production and refining capacity? Or just some oil production so you can ship some oil to Australia which should have excess refining capacity? I know that will use supplies but that would be like trading supplies for fuel that you would not have to ship in.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1703
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 3:35:45 PM   
Canoerebel

Yes, I'll consider working out local oil production. Some centers are damaged but some may have production that makes it efficient to do so.

I was planning to repair whatever damage has accumulated to Soerabaja's shipyard, too. Nightly bombardments had done about seven or eight points of damage, but a mouseover last turn showed only two points of damage. It's possible that the Japanese have been repairing the yard.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1704
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 5:28:17 PM   
Canoerebel

8/12/44 to 8/14/44

Battle of Soerabaja: Allied deliberate attack on the 14th nearly reaches 3:1, drops forts a level, and inflicts heavy casualties on the defenders. The base might fall tomorrow, as additional armor and an infantry division just arrived. Allied losses should be light from this point forward, so about 3k AV will soon be able to move to the other two Japanese strongpoints - Batavia (which won't require much more) and Djakarta (which will).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1705
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 10:22:04 PM   
jwolf

I am amazed at how quickly the Java campaign went from a tossup to an Allied rout of the Japanese. Things turned so ugly so fast for the defenders that I almost felt sorry for them!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1706
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 10:52:26 PM   
Canoerebel

It has seemed quick, but I wonder if that is partly due to the rate at which we're flipping turns. So I went back and looked at key dates:

Late June '44: The two sides engage in big air/sea battles around Ternate and Ambon.
Early July: The decision is made to proceed immediately with the invasion of Java.
July 7: Invasion of Banjowangi
July 19: Allied reinforcements arrived just in the nick of time to hold a key hex, severing the railroad between Soerabaja and Batavia. At this point, the large Japanese army on Java is bisected. It'll eventually be trisected.
August 14: Soerabaja falls and Batavia's garrison is crumbling (I haven't yet posted this development but will tonight).

So it took about five weeks to decide the Java campaign. Mop-up will take weeks, but that will allow troops to prep while some units go forward to work on Palembang (that's the working plan, but under evaluation).

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1707
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/15/2019 11:12:09 PM   
RangerJoe

The relatively open terrain favors the Allies and the cultivated hexes make for fast movement. You may start to see a much more cautious IJN conserving fuel - or else the Heavy Industry will run out of fuel.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1708
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/16/2019 11:13:32 AM   
Canoerebel

To the best of my recollection, I've never been in a game before when the Japanese economy collapsed. Partly (entirely?) that may have been due, in past games, to my proclivity for invading Hokkaido or China while bypassing the DEI until late. There may have been very early games when Miller and John III had some issues, but that was long ago and not significant, as best I recall. It would be fun to see what happens if an when Japan runs out of fuel or supply.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1709
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 10/16/2019 11:21:24 AM   
Canoerebel

8/15/44 and 8/16/44

DEI: Soerabaja falls and Batavia is going to in the near term. That will allow the two Allied armies involved their to help deal with the third Japanese army - a large and powerful one in good defensive terrain at Djokakarta.

Mop up and security needs are taking a lot of time in and around Java, but the collapse of enemy defenses creating new and important chores: (1) select future targets and switch prep; (2) attend more vigorously to finding cadres and detachments and mating them with parent units hither and thither and yon; (3) determining when and where the next Allied leap forward will occur; and (4) figuring out what local targets need to be handled in the meantime, and what is needed to complete the tasks.

Three forward leaps were identified a week or two ago, and armies are prepping for each.

In the meantime, likely targets are: Palemang, Makassar (weakly held), Kendari, and Ambon. Balikpapan and Samarinda are possibilities. If the oil producers are crossed off the list for any reason, 4EB will target their oil. A host of new B-29s squadrons have staged from West Coast to Pearl to Port Moresby. They'll likely move to Soerabaja in a week or so, once the base is repaired, fully supplied, and plenty of aviation support present.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1710
Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI