Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  67 68 69 70 [71]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/14/2019 2:35:13 PM   
JohnDillworth

If you want a fun read after dealing with primary sources you might try The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic by Mike Duncan. Mike was the person that did the excellent, and long, History of Rome podcast. Much of this book is grounded in primary sources

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2101
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/14/2019 4:09:06 PM   
Canoerebel

Dave and I played this game in about 370 days. That's ridiculously fast, especially considering the three-week stretch in which he could only play one or two turns per day. I love playing this fast but I'm not sure it's good for my sanity, my health, and real life. :)

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2102
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/16/2019 1:35:25 PM   
jwolf

Congratulations on your victory! I am amazed at the pace the two of you kept up.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2103
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/16/2019 2:24:07 PM   
BillBrown

Well done Dan, both the game and the AAR.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2104
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/16/2019 8:53:48 PM   
T Rav

Well done, Sir!

I personally like your shift from reporting on every turn, to every couple turns or so. It gives you more time to wplay the game and still satisfies the peanut gallery members like me. For what it's worth, I check and see how things are going every day.

In this game or another one, and in the words of Col. Emerson H. Liscum, "Keep Up the Fire!"

Best Regards,
T Rav

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 2105
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/17/2019 8:52:11 AM   
fabertong

As the Japanese player......I would like to congratulate Dan on a well played game and richly deserved victory.

…..and also for such an entertaining AAR....almost as much fun to read as it was to play.

The pace of the game was blistering and great fun......although I suspect I'll concentrate and 1-2 turns a day from now on!

Dan is a proper gent. and very skilled...….if you get a chance to play against him......do.

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 2106
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/17/2019 12:52:46 PM   
JohnDillworth

Well played sir! The peanut gallery salutes you. BTW, if there is ever a rematch there are many esteemed Japanese players that would be happy to offer humble advice. May I personally add I really enjoyed your mastery of the unexpected and concentrated naval assault. Good to see a player who has no fear of uses his assets to their full capabilities.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 2107
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/17/2019 1:21:29 PM   
Canoerebel

This match possibly answered two questions that might be of interest to the general community:

1) Is it effective for Japan to play conservatively, to avoid stretching the Empire, spending fuel and supply, taking chances; to instead employ the army in building strongpoints (level 9 forts at Singers, Manila, Soerabaja, and no doubt other places); and to use the air forces and navy to strike boldly at selected moments? That's an interesting strategy, but I think we learned that it won't succeed if the Allied player isn't aggressive early, boosting Japan's denominator with permanent points for ships, aircraft and men lost.

2) It isn't necessary for the Allies to fight in Burma. It's a grinding mill producing 1:1 ratios that really, really help Japan. Fuggedaboutit. Burma eventually becomes untenable for Japan, so that it has to retire. Meanwhile, your armies and navies and air forces can fight at better odds elsewhere (turns out the British were right about Burma, all along).

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2108
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/17/2019 6:42:59 PM   
JohnDillworth

I think one of the absolute turning points was a road junction near Soerabaja. If I recall the Allies got there just a day or two ahead of Japan. Had that gone the other way the game could have easier gone on another month or two

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2109
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/17/2019 7:21:37 PM   
fabertong

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

This match possibly answered two questions that might be of interest to the general community:

1) Is it effective for Japan to play conservatively, to avoid stretching the Empire, spending fuel and supply, taking chances; to instead employ the army in building strongpoints (level 9 forts at Singers, Manila, Soerabaja, and no doubt other places); and to use the air forces and navy to strike boldly at selected moments? That's an interesting strategy, but I think we learned that it won't succeed if the Allied player isn't aggressive early, boosting Japan's denominator with permanent points for ships, aircraft and men lost.

2) It isn't necessary for the Allies to fight in Burma. It's a grinding mill producing 1:1 ratios that really, really help Japan. Fuggedaboutit. Burma eventually becomes untenable for Japan, so that it has to retire. Meanwhile, your armies and navies and air forces can fight at better odds elsewhere (turns out the British were right about Burma, all along).

I think Dan is correct on both points.

!. I am, by nature, a conservative player.....and try to avoid easy 'points harvesting' early in the war.
Largely due to the almost absolute knowledge in the game that Japan has at the start....but for Japan to succeed in the game it has to do a certain amount of this.

2. Burma is indeed a quagmire for the allies......especially in this game where we had withdrawals turned off....so the Allies can enjoy The Royal Navy......I overcommitted on this front and Dan easily outflanked me.

Some other mistakes on my part.....(of many)

When hunting Lex. early in the game I stuck to doctrine and didn't split KB until far to late....lack of flexibility on my part.

I decided early on to bypass Singapore and try to reduce it by siege....the idea being that most Allied players would try and supply Singers using subs.....I flooded over 200 ASW ships and almost all of my level bomber into this shallow water area......the result showed that this plan was not only flawed but a waste of Japanese firepower early in the war. Japanese ASW early war just can't do this job.

There were several points where I could have slowed Dan's advance....the key one being when he was moving past Singers.....and due to my incompetence 6 CVs went into upgrade at Manila...... and therefore out of action for 20+ days.

None of these would have changed the outcome of the war...or take away from Dan's excellent gameplay..but I would have made it past VE day.

After 20+ PBEMs and loads of experimenting you do keep learning.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2110
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/17/2019 7:29:21 PM   
jwolf

quote:

... and due to my incompetence 6 CVs went into upgrade at Manila...... and therefore out of action for 20+ days.

I think this kind of mistake -- or, more charitably, unfortunate timing -- is fairly common. I for one have done this even against the AI!

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 2111
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/17/2019 10:04:32 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

quote:

... and due to my incompetence 6 CVs went into upgrade at Manila...... and therefore out of action for 20+ days.

I think this kind of mistake -- or, more charitably, unfortunate timing -- is fairly common. I for one have done this even against the AI!

The easy answer is to only upgrade one or two at a time, but that does not take into account the pressure to get AA values up ASAP.

As an Allied player, I know that I do not have to rush things and can afford to drag out such upgrades by keeping the weakest CVs in fairly safe waters. At some point there will be enough upgraded CVs, DDs and other vessels to start the Allied steamroller going. For the Japanese, any grand strategy they choose always means scraping up enough strength to get started and rushing around to keep it going. I admire the fortitude of IJ players while wondering about their sanity ...

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2112
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/17/2019 11:41:12 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't know about how things work in games vs. the AI, but in games vs. humans it is so easy to lose track of things, or to mean to attend to things, only to have circumstances or busyness or a brain-poot mess up the best-laid plans. All of us have known we had ships set to upgrade and fully intended to change that before they enter a port big enough to handle the upgrades...only to then forget in the rush of doing something.

JohnDillworth is right about the race for a key hex west of Soerabaja being the turning point in the Java campaign. The outcome of the war wouldn't have changed had I lost that race, but I might've been embroiled in Java weeks longer, or I might've been forced to invade somewhere on the far side rather than fight a stalemate on an MLR. Any time there's a delay or a risky move, there's a chance things can go wrong, the wheels can come off, the opponent can pull of a great bushwhack.

Once the Allies got rolling in November 1943 at and around the Lower Solomons, things steamrolled west without any letup. The Allied plan unfolded so well...and yet Dave still staved off defeat until April 1945. It was a great match.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2113
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/18/2019 1:51:28 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Well done, Dan. Kudos to you and Fabertong for this very interesting match.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2114
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/18/2019 7:16:57 AM   
nicwb

Well played to both Canoerebel and fabertong.

However, on an unhappy note - now what am I going to read? this was one of my daily read go to AAR's.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 2115
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/18/2019 8:53:11 PM   
sanch

Thank you for providing an entertaining read (and a good game). Your AAR style is good. I've been following this one for a while now and wouldn't mind seeing another one to follow before too long.

Well done.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 2116
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/18/2019 10:13:02 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I don't know about how things work in games vs. the AI, but in games vs. humans it is so easy to lose track of things, or to mean to attend to things, only to have circumstances or busyness or a brain-poot mess up the best-laid plans. All of us have known we had ships set to upgrade and fully intended to change that before they enter a port big enough to handle the upgrades...only to then forget in the rush of doing something.

Pure speculation here, but I would guess that may be attributable to the pressure (self induced or otherwise) to enact a quick turn around. Kind of like playing with an hourglass limiting your turn.

Playing against the AI, I can simply decide to quit the effort whenever I please and take it up again a day or two or three later.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2117
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/19/2019 3:43:04 AM   
Grollub

Really appreciated the AAR. You write really good. I guess I'll have to find some other good AAR to follow now that this one is finished ... that is, until you start up the next one

Oh, and BTW, well played!

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 2118
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/19/2019 5:46:13 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Great aar as always, Dan.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 2119
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 12/21/2019 4:31:49 PM   
Nachtjager

This was a really enjoyable AAR to read, thanks for putting in the effort.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 2120
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/15/2020 12:52:43 PM   
RangerJoe

Very nicely done for the both of you. It was enjoyable to read and learn. I have some more ideas on how to play the game - from both sides.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Nachtjager)
Post #: 2121
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 1/15/2020 4:20:22 PM   
Bearcat2

Great game, thanks for the AAR!

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2122
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 69 70 [71]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  67 68 69 70 [71]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI