Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 1/13/2019 5:58:29 PM   
Silvanski

That bothered me as well because I use customized scenario folders and graphics, which I back up on a regular basis
I forced 4.1.0.20 to install under Documents -> My Games -> The Operational Art of War IV and the patch as well

It all runs well and there are no duplicate folders or files

Maybe it is done to accomodate computers which have a SSD for programs and a HDD for files

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 31
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 1/13/2019 6:30:22 PM   
76mm

I installed my game under D:/Matrix Games/The Operational Art of War, but there are still a bunch of folders under Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War. Are the latter artifacts from my previously installed (now uninstalled) version of the game, or installed with the current game? Both locations have Graphics Override, Scenarios, and My Fonts folders, but only the latter has a Saves folder. Why? Why did you make this so complicated? Where are my mods supposed to go? JSGME has stopped working...

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 32
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 1/13/2019 8:09:29 PM   
ralphtricky

OK, I'll break it down. It isn't complicated, just different, and a lot more simple for the normal user.

Everything custom should be under My Games/The Operational Art of War. That's also where the logs are. Most people don't need to touch the Program Files directory for anything.

Windows recommends that everything be installed to Program Files and anything writable to My Documents. Steam goes a step further and requires it. Steam requires that everything be installed to one directory and everything custom written to My Documents. These are done for security to ensure that a virus is less likely to infect your machine.

The 'right way' to do things now is to only update the my documents directory. The program is smart enough to realize if there are duplicate scenarios and only show the latest one. Scenario Deployment has also been simplified, You can create a folder in the My Documents/TOAW/Scenarios/Custom(or Modern/etc.) folder with the name of the scenario and copy the scenario and all the files needed to run it into the folder which is named for the scenario. You no longer need to touch the graphics or altgraphics folders. If you deploy it to Steam, it gets installed to some hidden folder but appears just as if it were in the Documents/TOAW/... folder.

Total graphics mods which redo the terrain or other parts should go into My Documents/TOAW/AltGraphics (or Graphics), but nothing else.

For example, I copied the Tutorial file then opened and saved it with the new name. The scenario, bitmap and doc file are called Tutorial2.*. They are now in Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\TUTORIALS\Tutorial2. They show up just fine and work fine.

If you REALLY want to go old school, you can create a file called 'DefaultFolder.txt' and put the folder you want the files to be in there. For example, installing to C:\Matrix\TOAW and putting DefaultFolder.txt in there with C:\Matrix\TOAW will make it run like it used to. You may also have to run it as an administrator.

Please let me know if anything isn't clear.

I just remembered, there is one exception. I copy the sound and font files to the my documents folder so they can be modified easily.

Ralph

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 33
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 1/13/2019 8:39:03 PM   
76mm

Ralph, thanks much for the explanation, but a couple of issues/questions (note that I'm generally concerned about total graphics mods for terrain):

1) My "My Docs" folder does not have a graphics or altgraphics folder. It has a Graphics Override folder...is that what you mean? There is a also GRAPHICS directory under my Graphics Override folder, but I think that was created while I was trying to get terrain mods to work (unsuccessfully).

2) That's fine about scenarios, but I've noticed that every time I try to open a scenario in the editor (which is very often for me), it takes me to the Scenarios folder under the installation directory rather than under My Docs...this is really irritating because I have to navigate several mouseclicks to get back to the Scenarios folder under My Docs...any way to fix that?

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 34
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 1/13/2019 9:49:48 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm in favor of moving all the TOAW files to the "Program Files (x86)" folder and get rid of the "My Documents" file structure entirely.

EDIT: Never mind...I re-read what Ralph wrote and found the contingency.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/13/2019 9:53:33 PM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 35
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 1/14/2019 11:47:18 AM   
Shadrach

Here's what my "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV" folder contains now:

Graphics Override - for UI/map mods
My Fonts - just 16 font files.
Saves - Save games
Scenarios - User scenarios, these override the defaults in the install folder if they exists in the same folder structure. The user can also create new folders, which will also be read by the game, handy for scenarios not covered by the other categories.
Sound - Game sounds
+ Config, logs, ini, fonts
+ TOAWEquipment.EQP/NQP files.

Also a weird toawWeapons.txt which just contains:
~~0~None~0~0~0~None~~n/a

Like Ralph said, the Fonts and Sounds folder is there for easy editing. I don't really understand the logic behind why the Sounds folder is repopulated if deleted, as the same files exists in the default install directory and the game should just use those sounds. But it's only 50MB so it doesn't matter much.

And for JSGME to work, it also contains the the JSGME.exe+ini and the sub-folder MODS.

I think it's an elegant solution, it avoids the user faffing about in the installation folder where they should not be. At the same time it avoids having lots of files (300MB+) in the users Documents, like it used to with the scenarios.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 36
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 1/14/2019 12:10:02 PM   
76mm

Thanks Shadrach--that was enough to get my JSGME working again, so I'm happy. For a while there I had no terrain tiles at all...

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 37
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 4/15/2019 5:06:34 PM   
r6kunz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

Hello,

We have fixed the issue with the Scenarios folder in 4.1.0.20, and have released an update.

You can get it via the game's updater, from the MEMBERS AREA, from http://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/TheOperationalArtOfWarIV/.

You need to apply the patch over 4.1.0.20. If you have not installed that yet, you need to follow the installation instructions in it's THREAD, but of course you now don't have to worry about the manual fix for the error mentioned there.

Thanks, and sorry for the hickup!

P.S. Please note we have experienced some server performance issues lately, so if the automatic updater doesn't seem to work when you try please try the direct link above.

How do we get the 4.0.0.20 update? I see only 4.0.0.21 in the Members Area.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 38
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 4/15/2019 6:00:18 PM   
Zovs

FWIW, my initial installed version (I just purchased this a few days ago) was .20 and then I downloaded the .21 patch and applied that.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 39
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 4/15/2019 6:37:12 PM   
BigDuke66

Exactly, re-download the Installer to get 20 and then apply the 21 patch.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 40
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 4/15/2019 7:27:11 PM   
r6kunz

Thanks guys!
That was it. Finding the Installer. Good to go.

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 41
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/25/2019 1:30:37 AM   
tdavie

I downloaded and installed 4.1.0.21 over a purchased 4.1.0.20 After updating/installing the app version still says 4.1.0.20 Assuming this isn't normal, any ideas what to do?

Would like to be able to play pbem.

thanks

Tom

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 42
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/25/2019 3:46:21 AM   
Lobster

Initially the scenario and alt graphics were put in the Documents folder under MyGames/TOAW. We were told it had to be this way because of Windows.

Then TOAW was released on Steam. Steam puts everything in the TOAW folder in the Steam folder. This would have been fine if everything was just left like that. The Matrix installation as it was originally. The Steam installation as it was originally. We are not stupid. We could have just gone with that. Everyone was used to where stuff was.

But no.

For reasons unknown the Matrix installation with the .21 patch put the scenario files that came with the game in the Matrix/TOAW folder and then anything that was player made and NOT part of the installation was put in the Documents/MyGames folder. We were told it was less confusing. Maybe on Bizarro World. Sorry to put it that way but it adds so much confusion.

So if you are working on a scenario with the Matrix installation it's going to go into the Documents/MyGames folder. If you are looking for a scenario that was included with the Matrix installation it will be in the Matrix/TOAW folder. That's for the Matrix installation. Everything that is done with a Steam installation is all in the Steam/TOAW folder.

I wouldn't be surprised if any or all of what I just posted is wrong.

I've simply given up and put everything in the Documents/MyGames folder and do everything from there, Steam or Matrix installation. Saves me a little sanity.

If anyone would have bothered to ask the people who actually use this stuff the most we would have told them they are making a mistake. Leave it alone.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 6/25/2019 3:49:03 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 43
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/25/2019 12:35:06 PM   
Zovs

When I purchased TOAW IV, it installed .20, and then I installed the .21 patch. When in a game I click about it shows .21.

So no idea on why yours does not do that?

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 44
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/25/2019 1:50:42 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: tdavie

I downloaded and installed 4.1.0.21 over a purchased 4.1.0.20 After updating/installing the app version still says 4.1.0.20 Assuming this isn't normal, any ideas what to do?

Would like to be able to play pbem.

thanks

Tom

Do you have to unzip .21 and physically move the files to TOAW and overwrite .20 that way? I don't recall.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to tdavie)
Post #: 45
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/25/2019 1:58:34 PM   
larryfulkerson

I just executed the .21 patch that I downloaded from the member's area
and automatically the .21 overwrote the .20 version.

One thing you could do is go to the FTP site and download the .21 version
and install it manually in the root directory of the game and fix your
shortcut to point to the new version rather than the old version. And
there are newer versions than .21 out there. I'm testing the .30 version
as we speak.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/25/2019 1:59:22 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 46
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/25/2019 3:26:43 PM   
Zovs

Seconded what Larry said here for me for the .21 out of the box.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

Post #: 47
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/26/2019 9:52:30 AM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I'm testing the .30 version as we speak.

Oooh interesting. Any titbits you'd care to share, like what stuff is fixed? Or when it's out, it's been like six months now...

Post #: 48
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/26/2019 10:17:53 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach
quote:

I'm testing the .30 version as we speak.

Oooh interesting. Any titbits you'd care to share, like what stuff is fixed? Or when it's out, it's been like six months now...

I've been keeping track of what changes have been done lately to the game engine versions and from what I can reconstruct from my notes I think something very much like what's listed here is very close to what's been done:

4.1.0.21: Added creating document scenarios folder

4.1.0.22: Added EntryTurn to the Formation in the XML saves
Modified load routine to Clear the Strategic Options structure on loading a new scenario.
File Open in the editor should now prefer opening the Documents folder instead of the Program Files Folder.

4.1.0.23: a fix to the bug in the Victory Award value code.
A fix for the bug with the Equipment Editor AP value when the equipment has the Low or High Air flags checked. There was some other improvement to AP values as well.

4.1.0.24: Fixed issue with crash when viewing the battle report if a formation/side/unit name had () in it like Blue(US)

4.1.0.25: Fixed issue with counterbattery being too devastating against coastal guns.

4.1.0.29: A fix for OOB Export.
Graphics search now includes program files/alt graphics

4.1.0.30: rolled back new objective code, guided missile range, rules prefix fix

I have to keep track of the changes because that's what I have to test. I have no idea when the next patch will come out but I have a sneaky suspecision that it won't be anytime soon. There's a LOT of stuff to adjust yet and our developers went on vacation or something. The last time either of them logged in and posted something was like the 21st of April I believe. I wonder what's happened.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/26/2019 10:21:02 AM >

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 49
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/26/2019 10:44:16 AM   
Zovs

I hope all the Editor bugs that are repeatable and CTD are fixed in the next version.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

Post #: 50
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/26/2019 11:05:30 AM   
Shadrach

Thanks Larry!
Not as much fixed in the way of needed UI stuff as I was hoping, but these are good:

File Open in the editor should now prefer opening the Documents folder instead of the Program Files Folder.
Graphics search now includes program files/alt graphics

This will avoid a lot of confusion in the future I believe

They really should release smaller fixes more often and keep the big OOB/rules/data changes that need a lot of testing for longer cycles. Then again, judging by the amount of confusion every time a patch is to be installed maybe not such a good idea as it sounds

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 6/26/2019 11:09:26 AM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 51
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/26/2019 11:54:54 AM   
76mm

quote:

4.1.0.22: Added EntryTurn to the Formation in the XML saves

Hurray, I've been waiting for that!

quote:

Modified load routine to Clear the Strategic Options structure on loading a new scenario.

Sorry, what is the "Strategic Options Structure"?

Post #: 52
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 6/26/2019 2:29:52 PM   
Zovs

The Editor crashing to the desktop really needs fixed, it happens every time.

I can send instructions on how to crash it.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 53
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 5/6/2020 1:34:43 AM   
riflebrigade

Is 4.1.0.21 still required unable to log onto site to download file and 4.1.0.21 is not in members area?

Is it ok to load 4.1.0.20 and then 4.1.0.40?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 54
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 5/6/2020 4:42:22 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: riflebrigade

Is 4.1.0.21 still required unable to log onto site to download file and 4.1.0.21 is not in members area?

Is it ok to load 4.1.0.20 and then 4.1.0.40?

That is how I upgraded. Don't run the game until .40 is finished with its installation.

Cheers

(in reply to riflebrigade)
Post #: 55
RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available - 7/11/2020 8:40:06 PM   
ianlavorente

I can't update via updater because it doesn't find current version and the other links do not work for me, what do I do?

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Version 4.1.0.21 Available Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI