Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Slow Performance?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Slow Performance? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/14/2020 8:28:48 PM   
moore4807

Well after 6.5 years my trusty homebuilt I5-4670 / AsusZ97C mobo - finally gave up the ghost. My daughter gave me her year old Dell Alienware R9 computer and upgraded herself (Hand me ups?) <grin> . Ok First Off... T H A N K Y O U to all the posters here who got me back up and running again! From the Fatal Error 200 sticky, to the switches sticky (which are totally different from the Asus to the Alienware)

Now for the humor part of the program - I'm lost with all the new gadgets the Alienware brings to the table (it YELLS at me in the notification box!). But I know I've instilled some of me and my war interests as the voice yelling at me is Sgt. R. Lee Ermey (RIP) and I haven't changed anything other than replacing the "D" HDD with my own 1TB 7200 HDD. I figure she put the "voice" in the "C" HDD (M2 256GB HDD) and have no clue where to look to change it (which I really don't) except its demoralizing when its happening every 15 minutes (Hey Maggot! Did you forget something? Jesus Christ!!) lol!

Again Thanks to all who "helped"!!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 61
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/15/2020 1:49:53 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pkenny

What a waste of money this was.

I bet you used the shortcut that the game installed on your desktop instead of creating a new one as I stated. The one the game creates does NOT point to the game .exe file - it points to a file that opens a MENU of things related to the game. The switches will not work with this - they only work with a shortcut that points to the game executable file. The info already in the shortcut's Properties/Target box should read

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

That part is put there when you create the shortcut. Then just add the switches suggested and all will be fine.

The other issue some players have is running one of the game patches (updates) without having installed the base game first. Get the base game you purchased running before you run a patch to get it up to date. Then add your switches.

It really isn't as scary as it sounds if you take each step separately and see how it works. Alternately, use Korvar's SeaBee Alpha program available in the stickied area of the Tech forum - it automates most of the technical stuff by asking you simple questions.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Pkenny)
Post #: 62
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/15/2020 3:19:04 AM   
Nomad

BBfanboy, Pkenny only made 6 posts, 5 of them in this thread and has not signed on since last November.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 63
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/15/2020 4:38:19 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

BBfanboy, Pkenny only made 6 posts, 5 of them in this thread and has not signed on since last November.

I assumed the orange button on the right took me to the last post in the thread but it took me to Pkenny's post. I never looked at the date.

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 64
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/15/2020 4:43:36 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807

Well after 6.5 years my trusty homebuilt I5-4670 / AsusZ97C mobo - finally gave up the ghost. My daughter gave me her year old Dell Alienware R9 computer and upgraded herself (Hand me ups?) <grin> . Ok First Off... T H A N K Y O U to all the posters here who got me back up and running again! From the Fatal Error 200 sticky, to the switches sticky (which are totally different from the Asus to the Alienware)

Now for the humor part of the program - I'm lost with all the new gadgets the Alienware brings to the table (it YELLS at me in the notification box!). But I know I've instilled some of me and my war interests as the voice yelling at me is Sgt. R. Lee Ermey (RIP) and I haven't changed anything other than replacing the "D" HDD with my own 1TB 7200 HDD. I figure she put the "voice" in the "C" HDD (M2 256GB HDD) and have no clue where to look to change it (which I really don't) except its demoralizing when its happening every 15 minutes (Hey Maggot! Did you forget something? Jesus Christ!!) lol!

Again Thanks to all who "helped"!!

You say you replaced the "D" drive. The one you removed must have the stuff the Alienware BIOS is looking for. Did you do a backup before you removed it? You should be able to restore the backup to your new "D" drive, I think.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 65
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/15/2020 10:01:20 PM   
moore4807

Apparently almost ALL new computers sold today have an M2 (solid state disk drive) as a "C" drive to hold the operating system and Windows items that the computer builder and you don't want somebody messing with. My Daughters had both this "C" drive, and a "D" drive which was also a 1TB HDD (7200rpm) where she stored everything and she took that out of her computer and gave me the rest - I simply attached my "old" "C" drive (also a 1TB 7200 HDD) and windows automatically converted it to the "D" drive for me. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Her "C" drive is where the R lee Ermey is located.

I have to re-license and reinstall jsut about everything including shortcuts and am in day three of that process, but my "new"
hand-me-up computer is all pretty good. I-5 4670 vs. I7 9700 is quite a step up in processor alone :)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 66
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/16/2020 5:05:23 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807

Apparently almost ALL new computers sold today have an M2 (solid state disk drive) as a "C" drive to hold the operating system and Windows items that the computer builder and you don't want somebody messing with. My Daughters had both this "C" drive, and a "D" drive which was also a 1TB HDD (7200rpm) where she stored everything and she took that out of her computer and gave me the rest - I simply attached my "old" "C" drive (also a 1TB 7200 HDD) and windows automatically converted it to the "D" drive for me. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Her "C" drive is where the R lee Ermey is located.

I have to re-license and reinstall jsut about everything including shortcuts and am in day three of that process, but my "new"
hand-me-up computer is all pretty good. I-5 4670 vs. I7 9700 is quite a step up in processor alone :)

When my hard drive crashed, I replaced it with an SSD and it is still the "C" drive. You do not need to have it as the "D" drive.

Many years ago I installed a second hard drive in my Dell computer and it required that I flip a tiny switch on the new drive to designate it as a slave - the original "C" hard drive being the master. I am not sure if newer OS handle this relationship automatically. I think you can switch which drive is the "C" drive during boot up by pressing F2 or whatever it says to enter the BIOS configuration (before Windows starts up). Somewhere in the hardware section it will list what it knows is installed on your computer and I think you can select which HD you want to be the boot drive "C" if it has Windows installed on it.
Anyway, if you are having any issues with your current configuration, there is bound to be a YouTube "how to" video about it. Good luck.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 67
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/16/2020 10:53:06 PM   
moore4807

Thank you for your help - Yes I fondly remember those "old days" too. Now I didn't have to flip any switches, the computer booted up and almost immediately an Alienware box popped up asking if I wanted to add files to my drive or add this to my list of drives. I chose add to my list of drives, and it automatically did all the work - except for the aforementioned licenses for games.

It really is quite striking how easy it is today, when "back in the day" we would have to read poorly written or incomplete folded sheets (in 8 languages) and by guess or by god tinkering to get the switches right (depending on the manufacturers) and hours later yell "Eureka!" like we were Einstein or something, when the computer finally did what it was supposed to do, all those hours ago! LOL!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 68
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/24/2020 4:06:59 PM   
morejeffs

Any suggestions would be helpful

At first my game was virtually unplayable but then did the seabee app (thanks!)

This is my present setting
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -dd_swt -deepColor

Still pretty slow... Any ideas/tweaks anybody can think of? I am pretty sure I am using windows 10

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 69
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/24/2020 7:31:15 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: morejeffs

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -dd_swt -deepColor

Still pretty slow... Any ideas/tweaks anybody can think of? I am pretty sure I am using windows 10

There should not be a "t" in -dd_sw

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 70
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/24/2020 9:21:43 PM   
morejeffs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Thanks! Will try!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 71
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/24/2020 11:16:45 PM   
Nomad

quote:

I see no one has pointed out the first major problem. Do not use the autorun.exe

You need a shortcut to the war in the pacific admiral edition.exe file, similar to this.

"D:\War in the Pacfic Admirals Edition\PBEM Scen 2 Lou\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -px2550 -py1535 -cpu4 -archive -dd_sw -skipVideo -multiaudio -SingleCpuOrders

< Message edited by Nomad -- 10/24/2020 11:17:08 PM >

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 72
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/25/2020 1:14:08 AM   
BBfanboy

I completely missed that Nomad - good eye!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 73
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/25/2020 6:51:02 AM   
morejeffs

BBfanboy and Nomad..

Working perfectly now.. Thank you so much.
A short video to express my gratitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaqrPpdQYc

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 74
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/25/2020 4:09:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

BBfanboy and Nomad..

Working perfectly now.. Thank you so much.
A short video to express my gratitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaqrPpdQYc

I won't make you kiss anything of mine ...

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 75
RE: Slow Performance? - 11/23/2020 2:32:43 PM   
Taxcutter

What was the update that installed itself on 11/20/2020?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 76
RE: Slow Performance? - 11/23/2020 5:10:57 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxcutter

What was the update that installed itself on 11/20/2020?

Are you referring to a Windows Update? AFAIK there have been no WITP-AE updates.
Depending on your settings, sometimes video card drivers can be updated automatically too. NVidea offered an update with that date.

You can check Windows updates on the Microsoft site and driver updates on the makers' websites. They should have descriptions of what the updates did.

(in reply to Taxcutter)
Post #: 77
RE: Slow Performance? - 11/29/2020 3:16:47 PM   
Taxcutter

Props to SeaBee. It's doing very well.

I never thought I'd right this. The scrolling is almost too fast. Feels twitchy. I'll live with it.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 78
RE: Slow Performance? - 11/30/2020 7:16:41 AM   
Chris21wen

This what I've neem using for a long time. With no problems. The only thing I can't get it to do is play in a window at a larger resolution that the one shown and definitely not full screen but then I don't like full screen anyway as it often prevents easy swithing of apps.

"C:\Matrix Games\WitP AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1600 -py900 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -altFont -multiaudio -deepColor -skipVideo -archive -w

(in reply to Pkenny)
Post #: 79
RE: Slow Performance? - 11/30/2020 8:30:23 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

This what I've neem using for a long time. With no problems. The only thing I can't get it to do is play in a window at a larger resolution that the one shown and definitely not full screen but then I don't like full screen anyway as it often prevents easy swithing of apps.

"C:\Matrix Games\WitP AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1600 -py900 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -altFont -multiaudio -deepColor -skipVideo -archive -w

I was able to get to -px 1650 -py 1050 in a window. That leaves the Windows "Action Bar" on the right of my screen (I moved it there because there is little happening on that side during the game), and a narrow strip on the left that shows some of my program icons.

Korvar did a thread on how to get the game to Full Screen in Win 10.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 80
RE: Slow Performance? - 12/22/2020 1:08:53 AM   
Taxcutter

Why do I keep trying to play this game? Just when you think you've got it figured out something mysterious comes along and cripples the game.

I had installed SeaBee and it was working the best it ever has.

Suddenly, last Friday, something comes along and now SeaBee will not recognize Alpha and the game runs like gear oil in February running uphill.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 81
RE: Slow Performance? - 12/22/2020 2:22:16 AM   
Nomad

Probably a Windows update that reset some things.

(in reply to Taxcutter)
Post #: 82
RE: Slow Performance? - 12/23/2020 6:04:39 PM   
Taxcutter

Re: Post #80

Never mind. It was indeed Microsoft trying to sell me on mindless social media. Cleared that out and am now A-OK.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 83
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/5/2021 11:31:12 AM   
Mercenary

Thanks. It helped me. Thanks for the tips. Now everything works.

(in reply to Pkenny)
Post #: 84
RE: Slow Performance? - 2/27/2021 2:28:38 AM   
buzzsaw90

I FINALLY got the hyperdrive working. Monster improvement in scroll speed. So I wanted to share what worked for me. I had added many switches without noticing ANY effect, even the -skipvideo did nothing.

eventually I realized I was not editing the correct .exe. My shortcut was pointed at

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe"
rather than at
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

once I reset that, the switches started to DO things. Now I need to turn on some overlays just to slow the scroll down. Button pushing also reacts faster!

happy happy joy joy

(in reply to Mercenary)
Post #: 85
RE: Slow Performance? - 4/22/2021 6:14:51 PM   
tomeck48

Hello guys. Bought the game a couple of weeks ago. Been watching some of the training videos. I'm running Win 8.1 and apparently that dog just ain't gonna hunt. The Manual recommends Windows 2000 / XP / Vista. Is one significantly better than the other? Apparently I have the original version, not the beta.

(in reply to Pkenny)
Post #: 86
RE: Slow Performance? - 4/23/2021 4:21:54 AM   
Yaab

Try to use Korvar's utility

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4415089

Enable/disable two switches (deepColor and dd_sw) and CPU siwtches. It may help.

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 87
RE: Slow Performance? - 4/24/2021 12:46:58 AM   
tomeck48

OK. I did the download, if I try to run SeaBee I get a window that says I must first check for updates. Seems a little redundant since I had just done the download a few minutes earlier. So I click Check for Updates. Crickets. Nada. Now what?

Also I am under the impression that I am supposed to enter the game through the SeaBee shortcut. Yes or no?

< Message edited by tomeck48 -- 4/24/2021 12:57:18 AM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 88
RE: Slow Performance? - 4/24/2021 4:44:18 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tomeck48

OK. I did the download, if I try to run SeaBee I get a window that says I must first check for updates. Seems a little redundant since I had just done the download a few minutes earlier. So I click Check for Updates. Crickets. Nada. Now what?

Also I am under the impression that I am supposed to enter the game through the SeaBee shortcut. Yes or no?

Seabee is just to help you set up your game initially - the installation, patches and then shortcuts and switches. It has nothing to do with launching the game routinely - your shortcut to the game .exe will do that.

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 89
RE: Slow Performance? - 5/18/2021 9:48:45 PM   
hapshott

Hi,

I had slow menu's and scrolling. But I solved it in the following way:
1) bought combat mission2 on GOG
2) install combat mission 2
3) go to the folder with combat mission2
4) copy the ddraw.dll, dxcfg.exe and dxcfg.ini to the war in the pacific install folder

After this war in the pacific runs fine without slowdowns.

This solution also fixed the slowdown of uncommon valor.

I hope this helps you also

< Message edited by hapshott -- 5/18/2021 9:49:08 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Slow Performance? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI