Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Slow Performance?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Slow Performance? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Slow Performance? - 5/22/2021 8:32:48 AM   
Bill Durrant

I just got back into this game after many years away. I bought a new Windows 10 laptop and, like you, the game was running ridiculously slow. I played around with the settings as described in the readme document. The one that solved it was -DeepColor. No idea why but it did and now running smooth as. Hope this helps

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore

(in reply to Pkenny)
Post #: 91
RE: Slow Performance? - 5/22/2021 7:03:56 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Durrant

I just got back into this game after many years away. I bought a new Windows 10 laptop and, like you, the game was running ridiculously slow. I played around with the settings as described in the readme document. The one that solved it was -DeepColor. No idea why but it did and now running smooth as. Hope this helps

When the game engine was invented VGA was the best display available - 16 colours and 1020X764 resolution IIRC. The -deep_Color switch probably enables the video card to take over and use all of its power to handle graphics instead of the CPU handling it.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 92
RE: Slow Performance? - 5/22/2021 10:29:03 PM   
hapshott

Hello,

For me also the -deep_color solves the slowness of the game. When adding this the game runs much better (GTX1060).

Thanks for this tip.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 93
RE: Slow Performance? - 7/1/2021 7:09:23 PM   
gunny3013

Here is my "Target Line": -w -px3440 -py1440 -dd_sw -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders

Game has NO problem with speed.

My problem must be described since this forum format is not conducive to pictures.
When I move across my screen left or right, the hexes mid screen and right of mid screen bunch up duplicating in a scrunched up manner.
up and down scroll has no issue.

any ideas?

(in reply to Pkenny)
Post #: 94
RE: Slow Performance? - 7/1/2021 8:48:52 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunny3013

Here is my "Target Line": -w -px3440 -py1440 -dd_sw -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders

Game has NO problem with speed.

My problem must be described since this forum format is not conducive to pictures.
When I move across my screen left or right, the hexes mid screen and right of mid screen bunch up duplicating in a scrunched up manner.
up and down scroll has no issue.

any ideas?

My target line is much longer:
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -deepColor -px1680 -py1050 -w -fixedArt -skipVideo -multiaudio -SingleCpuOrders -cpu3

The last two are also important. Win10 is a memory hog on CPU1, which is also the default CPU for the game. Changing to a different CPU is recommended to let the game have unhindered access to the processor. Someone suggested that some other common apps like Anti-Virus might use CPU2, so I went with CPU 3.

It is important to turn off all the overlays too - like range circles for aircraft and ships, hex side info with the F6 or 'w' keys, etc. These complicate scrolling because every time the map shifts one pulse, it has to redraw all this additional stuff to be in the right place. Use those features when you need them and then turn them off for scrolling.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to gunny3013)
Post #: 95
RE: Slow Performance? - 7/2/2021 3:30:27 AM   
Reg

< Message edited by Reg -- 7/2/2021 5:03:33 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to gunny3013)
Post #: 96
RE: Slow Performance? - 7/12/2021 6:44:31 PM   
apstephen61

Been playing WITP for a few years on a laptop using WIN 8.1. The old computer died and my new one is running WIN 10, i7 processor, with Geforce GTX 1650. I've got game running, however...I am having a terrible mouse delay, about 2 seconds after clicking until changes are made in the game. Removed mouse and used the computer pad, and delay is there without the mouse.

This my target line:
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -altFont -deepColor -w -skipVideo -cpu3

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 97
RE: Slow Performance? - 7/12/2021 6:47:19 PM   
Nomad

Don't use the autorun.exe file, you have to use a direct link to the "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" file.
The autorun file does not understand command line arguments.

(in reply to apstephen61)
Post #: 98
RE: Slow Performance? - 7/12/2021 8:43:58 PM   
apstephen61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Don't use the autorun.exe file, you have to use a direct link to the "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" file.
The autorun file does not understand command line arguments.

Oh boy! couldn't see the forest for the trees!

Thank You!

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 99
RE: Slow Performance? - 8/18/2021 10:36:32 PM   
bradfordkay

Okay gang... my old WinXP computer gave up the ghost so I had a Win10 desktop built with an i5-10400 chip. Intel says that chip has 6 cores, so would I use -cpu2, -cpu3, -cpu4 or -cpu6? Does the program recognize a six core chip?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to hapshott)
Post #: 100
RE: Slow Performance? - 8/18/2021 11:26:45 PM   
Nomad

You can use any of those, I use -cpu4 on my 8 core machine.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 101
RE: Slow Performance? - 8/19/2021 1:02:46 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Okay gang... my old WinXP computer gave up the ghost so I had a Win10 desktop built with an i5-10400 chip. Intel says that chip has 6 cores, so would I use -cpu2, -cpu3, -cpu4 or -cpu6? Does the program recognize a six core chip?

Core 1 is running Windows, so it is always busy. Core 2 might be running other software like anti-virus. Core 3 and up should be good.

Post #: 102
RE: Slow Performance? - 8/19/2021 4:25:30 AM   
bradfordkay

Success! Thanks for everyone's help.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 103
RE: Slow Performance? - 9/6/2021 4:53:39 AM   
tomeck48

OK guys. Just turned 70 and while healthy I don't think I have enough time left to play this game at the speed it is running. I saw Nomad's suggestion higher up about the exe file, but can't find the file he mentions and wouldn't know how to point at it if I did. Going into my C drive I do see a "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition" file and if I open that I get just the same old slow runner. Where should I look and what should I do? Thanks in advance.

I should probably add that I am running 10 have version 1.8.11.

< Message edited by tomeck48 -- 9/6/2021 4:58:40 AM >

Post #: 104
RE: Slow Performance? - 9/6/2021 4:00:09 PM   
RangerJoe

Use SeeaBee . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 105
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/2/2021 2:42:33 AM   
tomeck48

Ok, I've got Seabee and if nothing is selected or if I'm setting up ASW or something else local things are good. But I was trying to set up a tanker TF from Darwin to Balikpapan (sp?) and it's slower than rowing the Queen Mary. Any help?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 106
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/2/2021 6:12:39 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tomeck48

Ok, I've got Seabee and if nothing is selected or if I'm setting up ASW or something else local things are good. But I was trying to set up a tanker TF from Darwin to Balikpapan (sp?) and it's slower than rowing the Queen Mary. Any help?

No one can give advice if you do not show us what you have done with your switch settings.
I will add that, although there are now 106 posts in this thread, all the info you need is in there and it is a good investment in time to read it. Once you understand what the problems are between the old game engine and modern hardware + Win 10, then read what the switches do you can figure it out easily.

Also avoid too many overlays - things like search arcs, range circles and hex side details are meant to be turned on for a moment and turned off before the turn is run. It is a tremendous burden for the graphic processor to redraw all the overlay stuff every time you shift the map a hex.

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 107
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/3/2021 1:31:54 AM   
tomeck48

Thanks. I have tried the switches but the options I'm presented with here don't quite match the advice given upstream. I'll try again. Also, I hadn't thought of the overlays so I'll go right after those. I hope I didn't sound to snarky. I've always gotten good advice here and on WITE too. I appreciate you guys.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 108
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/3/2021 2:34:53 AM   
tomeck48

Turning off the overlays did the trick. Performance improved approximately 4,563%. So I guess my mucking around with the switches earlier must have been good too.

Point about reading posts is well taken. But there are a lot of posts and my 70 year old eyes can only take so much screen time. I know I'd do better if I could sit down with somebody for 2 or so hours and just ask questions and learn by doing. If you (or anyone else for that matter) are ever around Minneapolis - St. Paul MN there is a free steak dinner in it for you if you stop in for a bit.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 109
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/3/2021 3:00:32 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Turning off the overlays did the trick. Performance improved approximately 4,563%. So I guess my mucking around with the switches earlier must have been good too.

Point about reading posts is well taken. But there are a lot of posts and my 70 year old eyes can only take so much screen time. I know I'd do better if I could sit down with somebody for 2 or so hours and just ask questions and learn by doing. If you (or anyone else for that matter) are ever around Minneapolis - St. Paul MN there is a free steak dinner in it for you if you stop in for a bit.

Thanks for the offer! I am in Winnipeg so some day, if the border ever re-opens, I might head that way. We are of a similar vintage so I am sure we could swap stories.
And no, you did not come off as snarky. Glad the advice on overlays worked for you. My shot-in-the-dark ideas rarely do. Just ask Alfred!

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 110
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/7/2021 12:25:57 AM   
tomeck48

Great. I didn't realize the border was still closed. It would be fun to swap some stories and actually see a real live gamer.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 111
RE: Slow Performance? - 10/7/2021 11:51:59 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Great. I didn't realize the border was still closed. It would be fun to swap some stories and actually see a real live gamer.

It's a one-way closure - Canada has opened up for fully vaxxed US citizens to cross by road and rail as well as air. Canadians can go to the US by Air only - makes no sense that I can figure, but we have learned to live with strange rules in the last two years!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 112
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/1/2022 8:18:11 PM   
LowesyPC

I am grateful for the assistance on this thread, and some other related. I was really worried a brand new laptop was very very poor in performance. Glad to find out it was not that!

(in reply to Pkenny)
Post #: 113
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/16/2022 1:17:17 AM   
CTCitadel

Just wanted to chyme in and say Im a grog and finally decided to give this a try (Thank you Historical Wargamer utube) and had the SLOWS so badly ...I found this forum and Link to SeeBee etc.

THANK YOU!!!!!

o7
Citadel
Craig Tower

(in reply to keith63)
Post #: 114
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/20/2022 9:39:34 AM   
grosbil

Hi guys.
I try to run WitP on a mac using Parallels Desktop.
It run fine in windowed mode but I have a problem.
When my mouse pass over something which create a popup and move or click on something, the hexes of the map where the popup where come over the screen. Sorry, it's difficult to explain, see the picture.

Second, trying to run fullscreen using those settings : "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -deepColor -skipVideo -f -pxf2560 -pyf1600
The game is out of the screen (see picture).

Any help will be welcome

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jTj-kNlHnqOEe9tW93O6P4xQk7zPnV5O/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eO-jcE6kZxlox3FCU4JA7-7Ek9zSIO3q/view?usp=sharing

< Message edited by grosbil -- 1/20/2022 9:48:54 AM >

Be careful with a sleeping bear ;-)

(in reply to CTCitadel)
Post #: 115
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/20/2022 10:42:52 PM   
rogueusmc

I think it is the layers trying to keep up on the GPU due to the higher resolution. Mine does that all the time. A mouseover of another button gets rid of it but results in a new one usually. A couple of strokes of the arrow keys generally gets rid of them for me.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to grosbil)
Post #: 116
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/21/2022 7:13:58 AM   
grosbil

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

A couple of strokes of the arrow keys generally gets rid of them for me.

Yep that works but I'm looking for a better solution, will try to change resolution...
Thanks.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 117
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/21/2022 3:29:33 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: grosbil

Hi guys.
I try to run WitP on a mac using Parallels Desktop.
It run fine in windowed mode but I have a problem.
When my mouse pass over something which create a popup and move or click on something, the hexes of the map where the popup where come over the screen. Sorry, it's difficult to explain, see the picture.

Second, trying to run fullscreen using those settings : "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -deepColor -skipVideo -f -pxf2560 -pyf1600
The game is out of the screen (see picture).

Any help will be welcome

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jTj-kNlHnqOEe9tW93O6P4xQk7zPnV5O/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eO-jcE6kZxlox3FCU4JA7-7Ek9zSIO3q/view?usp=sharing

That is the "Windows 10 Screen Bleedthrough" problem. Not really a bug since it appeared only after a certain Windows 10 update, and nothing since has made it go away. There are only two solutions that I'm aware of:

1) Add -dd_sw to your switches. That will ALWAYS solve the problem, but it doesn't work for most of us because it slows screen scrolling down to a crawl. So try this first and see if you are one of the lucky ones who can use the switch and not get the "crawl".

2) Use Windowed Mode. There are a number of threads on this, but the key thing is to develop a window size that is just a little smaller than your screen resolution. For example, I use a 1904x1040 on a 1920x1080 resolution, and that window occupies almost the entire screen. The windowed switch is -w (-wd adds save archiving which is recommended anyway) while special size windows (i.e. those which are not selectable when setting your desktop resolution) can - I think - be forced by using -pxf and -pyf instead of -px and -py. You will have to play around with all that to try and get the optimal "window to resolution" setting. Edit: If you do go the windowed route, add -dd_sw to your switch line anyway, as it works perfectly in this mode and speeds up screen scrolling enormously.

< Message edited by Kull -- 1/21/2022 3:35:27 PM >

(in reply to grosbil)
Post #: 118
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/21/2022 5:50:27 PM   
Nomad

I have been using two sets of switches. One for the Combat Replay and one for entering orders. I never found one set that would be the best of the two different operations.
I use the -dd_sw switch for the Combat Replay to avoid the extreme slowdown during night operations. I found that not having in in the Orders shortcut helped to limit
the amount of artifacts appearing.
I have been using windowed mode for both but in the past I used full screen for the Combat Replay and windowed for the Orders.

The bottom line is to try many combinations of command line switches and see what improvements you get. Every machine acts differently and there really is no one solution
for all players.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 119
RE: Slow Performance? - 1/24/2022 12:04:54 PM   
grosbil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

That is the "Windows 10 Screen Bleedthrough" problem. Not really a bug since it appeared only after a certain Windows 10 update, and nothing since has made it go away. There are only two solutions that I'm aware of:

1) Add -dd_sw to your switches. That will ALWAYS solve the problem, but it doesn't work for most of us because it slows screen scrolling down to a crawl. So try this first and see if you are one of the lucky ones who can use the switch and not get the "crawl".

2) Use Windowed Mode. There are a number of threads on this, but the key thing is to develop a window size that is just a little smaller than your screen resolution. For example, I use a 1904x1040 on a 1920x1080 resolution, and that window occupies almost the entire screen. The windowed switch is -w (-wd adds save archiving which is recommended anyway) while special size windows (i.e. those which are not selectable when setting your desktop resolution) can - I think - be forced by using -pxf and -pyf instead of -px and -py. You will have to play around with all that to try and get the optimal "window to resolution" setting. Edit: If you do go the windowed route, add -dd_sw to your switch line anyway, as it works perfectly in this mode and speeds up screen scrolling enormously.

Thanks a lot !
1st make the deal, no more glitch on screen
2nd don't work but I think running WitP on a Mac using an alternate program make it difficult... The windowed mode work fine. It's just height is ok but I can't use the width of my screen.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Slow Performance? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI