Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bye Steam

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bye Steam Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bye Steam - 2/20/2019 10:13:24 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

As soon as Micro$oft offered Windows 10 for free I went for it. There's something about that word 'free'.

So did I. No regrets.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 31
RE: Bye Steam - 2/20/2019 11:09:43 PM   
MrsWargamer

Some interesting insights and thoughts guys, appreciated.

Soooo I just couldn't leave things alone :)
Reinstalled Steam, took a screenshot of my games Library (because I can never recall what's actually on there it seems).
Then started pondering Civ III and Civ IV.
Played 30 minutes of Civ III and realized, "ya know, I miss this design."
I liked Civ IV too.

I recall my first game of Civ 1, it was great, slow, graphically limited, but fun all the same.
Civ 2 was a major leap forward (I thought).
Then Civ III blew me away.
And Civ IV was even more polish.

But as much as I LIKED Civ V, I am not willing to say I loved no stacking. Liked hexes, but, no stacking was a bummer. I liked the design overall. But, I've made a choice. There won't be a Civ VI, I couldn't care less if a future computer of mine is up to the challenge (my current machines ain't).
I've just decided to stick with a comfort zone that ends at Civ IV.

And I treated myself to an indulgence.
Yes, I already own the titles on Steam. I can't recall how I got them, but it likely was for peanuts.
But I have bought them through GoG for 10 bucks total for Civ III Complete, and Civ IV Complete. The bonus, the reason, is GoG as we all know, sells installers that have no DRM and no online need during install or playing (although they have a service called Galaxy if one wishes to employ it).

So now, when I get an urge to scratch a Civilization itch, I'll just stick with Civ III and Civ IV, which in my opinion, deliver just as good a scratching as Civ V can.

Sometimes the solution, is to not keep smacking your head against the wall, sometimes, you go over the wall or around it :)

< Message edited by MrsWargamer -- 2/20/2019 11:11:23 PM >

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 32
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 4:03:57 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I recall my first game of Civ 1, it was great, slow, graphically limited, but fun all the same.

What do you mean "graphically limited"? It has 256 colour VGA!

quote:

But as much as I LIKED Civ V, I am not willing to say I loved no stacking. Liked hexes, but, no stacking was a bummer.

There are mods that make stacking work you know.

quote:

So now, when I get an urge to scratch a Civilization itch, I'll just stick with Civ III and Civ IV, which in my opinion, deliver just as good a scratching as Civ V can.

At least Civ4 has got plenty of mods. I recommend Caveman2Cosmos, the one mod to rule them all.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 33
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 8:18:45 AM   
Rising-Sun

Not all games will run perfectly from Steam, make sure to have it compatible mode on (IE: XP-2SP) and some may need to adjust the color palette too. Like Kuokkanen mention that can be change and see if that will help.

I do play that Civ III too, never had any problems with it. Some older games seem to run better than Steam from GoG.

So check the main file that run the game, .com or .exe and right click on it as properties, then compatibility there you will see compatibility mode and settings. Those you can fix your problems. Most older games will need to be set as 8-bits or 16-bits.

Hopes that help you.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 34
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 11:14:36 AM   
MrsWargamer

"What do you mean "graphically limited"? It has 256 colour VGA!"

To me 'graphically limited' means it was nothing special to look at :)

Regarding mods, I don't hate them, I just never think of them I suppose.

I suppose if Civ V was actually working for me, I'd look into the stacking mod.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 35
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 12:51:42 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

"What do you mean "graphically limited"? It has 256 colour VGA!"

To me 'graphically limited' means it was nothing special to look at :)

Regarding mods, I don't hate them, I just never think of them I suppose.

I suppose if Civ V was actually working for me, I'd look into the stacking mod.

Users that have better graphic cards doesn't really let the software or games to kick in, most of the time you have to enabled them for it to work. For example if you have 32-bit running and the game is 16-bit, it is limited to 16-bit that is why it crashed!

Those sack of doom can be deadly, if the AIs use them well, would almost impossible to stop. Believe those are in Civ III and IV. So they took them out in V and VI.

Are you still having troubles running Civ III? If so I may can help, I can launch it and see what setup I have and maybe it will work for you.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 2/21/2019 12:54:05 PM >

Post #: 36
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 1:20:27 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I deliberately missed the massive free win 10 upgrade (3, 4 years ago?). The reason was truly simple: over the years Microstuff had basically delivered very unstable platforms.

And finally, miracle (!!!), they managed to deliver a stable version aka Windows 7. As you may imagine, I was not crazy enough to drop it and use... what exactly? A classic Microstuff unstable OS, or were they going to create another decent OS à la Win 7?

And that's where you, dear guinea pigs enter the scene Once it was clear the new OS was as safe as Win 7, I accepted the diabolical upgrade (less than one year ago). So far so good.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 37
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 2:15:17 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

Those sack of doom can be deadly, if the AIs use them well, would almost impossible to stop. Believe those are in Civ III and IV. So they took them out in V and VI.

I guess you mean "stack of doom". If so, I have encountered some of those in Civ4. Caveman2Cosmos mod delivered serious shock when AI brought several ~20 unit stacks to bear on me. I had my nearby cities spamming archers (though I had more expensive compound bowman available) with most productive cities pushing them 3 per turn and AI didn't bring in any siege engines. So against my expectations, my border city held the ground. It got more serious later on with great majority of AI's army in single stack. I just went around of it, conquered most of the cities, then came back to deal with the stack of doom guarding the last cities. I fortified couple hills (WITHOUT clearing the forests on the hills) and cleared forests from around of them. When stack got too close out in the open, I hit it. You see, there are ways of dealing with it.

[edit]
Topic where I go to detail about that scenario

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 2/21/2019 2:24:15 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 38
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 3:25:25 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

I guess you mean "stack of doom". If so, I have encountered some of those in Civ4. Caveman2Cosmos mod delivered serious shock when AI brought several ~20 unit stacks to bear on me. I had my nearby cities spamming archers (though I had more expensive compound bowman available) with most productive cities pushing them 3 per turn and AI didn't bring in any siege engines. So against my expectations, my border city held the ground. It got more serious later on with great majority of AI's army in single stack. I just went around of it, conquered most of the cities, then came back to deal with the stack of doom guarding the last cities. I fortified couple hills (WITHOUT clearing the forests on the hills) and cleared forests from around of them. When stack got too close out in the open, I hit it. You see, there are ways of dealing with it.

[edit]
Topic where I go to detail about that scenario

Yeah same as stack of doom lol. If you have some catapults, it would damage all units in that stack. Not sure about other siege engines would do the same, probably does.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 39
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 5:26:54 PM   
MrsWargamer

Never liked stack o doom.
Wasn't too fond of spies either.
Gotta admit I used religion as a weapon.

Rising Sun, when I mentioned graphics, I was speaking from an artistic perspective, not a software vs hardware angle.

"Graphically limited", as in ugly. I also consider tiles ugly. I deliberately shunned all of the Strategic Command 2 series due to the tiles. I didn't care a hoot how the game was as software, it was repulsive looking. Very glad hexes returned.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 40
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 6:28:01 PM   
rico21

My favorite weapon, culture, because culture is the only thing that impresses bullies.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 41
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 6:40:53 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

Rising Sun, when I mentioned graphics, I was speaking from an artistic perspective, not a software vs hardware angle.

"Graphically limited", as in ugly. I also consider tiles ugly. I deliberately shunned all of the Strategic Command 2 series due to the tiles. I didn't care a hoot how the game was as software, it was repulsive looking. Very glad hexes returned.

Ah I see, sorry didn't get that earlier. There are some games are pretty good from GoG, alpha centauri. That game is must have. Bring back good memories playing that one and you can even play one of those alien too.

Yes they can be ugly, try not think of how today graphics is. If you can do that and stick with it, can enjoy it a lot more out of it.

Post #: 42
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 7:10:35 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

Ah I see, sorry didn't get that earlier. There are some games are pretty good from GoG, alpha centauri. That game is must have. Bring back good memories playing that one and you can even play one of those alien too.

Yes they can be ugly, try not think of how today graphics is. If you can do that and stick with it, can enjoy it a lot more out of it.

Yeah I have Alpha Cent. Runs great on my Win10 system. One of my old favorites is Deadlock (Accolade). I pull it out a couple times a year and play it.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 43
RE: Bye Steam - 2/21/2019 7:26:45 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Yes they can be ugly, try not think of how today graphics is.

You think? Try some tile RPGs made with RPG Maker. Compared to those, The Settlers (a.k.a. Serf City: Life is Feudal) is still a beautiful game.

MekWars

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 44
RE: Bye Steam - 2/22/2019 8:30:30 AM   
Rising-Sun

Also forgot to mention that I have Call to Power II as well from GoG, even have the box version and not a bad civ game. Too bad they never really improve this game after that one.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 45
RE: Bye Steam - 2/22/2019 2:20:00 PM   
blackbenny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkane

You think? Try some tile RPGs made with RPG Maker. Compared to those, The Settlers (a.k.a. Serf City: Life is Feudal) is still a beautiful game.

Lol. Still waiting for someone to make a good looking RPG Maker game

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 46
RE: Bye Steam - 2/25/2019 5:56:22 PM   
Hoeist6634

I wonder what Steam is going to do with game streaming projects from Microsoft, Google and Amazon. How is Matrix/Slitherine going to react to this development?

(in reply to blackbenny)
Post #: 47
RE: Bye Steam - 2/25/2019 7:03:32 PM   
ringoblood

You know now matrix and Slith are on GOG now too. lol not much better but yeah,

(in reply to Hoeist6634)
Post #: 48
RE: Bye Steam - 2/25/2019 7:14:14 PM   
Hoeist6634

My question remains nonetheless

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bye Steam Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI