Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The D21 Road Not Taken....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/15/2019 6:00:37 AM   
StuccoFresco

Will partisan troops spawn in the scenario?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 121
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/15/2019 6:32:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco
Will partisan troops spawn in the scenario?
I have no memory of having to chase partisans in any of my D21 games. I do remember having to chase down regular Soviet units that have spawned in the territory I haven't converted to my side yet. Always in my backfield too.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 122
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/16/2019 8:40:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T11 and this is what Kiev looks like now. I've pushed the Soviet units into a small group and I'm attempting to take the defensive position apart a piece at a time and losses are heavy. If the rail were repaired down to Kiev I would have the RR arty employed here. The railhead isn't anywhere near and the supply levels aren't the greatest I've seen in the game so far. I'm beginning to get across the river north of Kiev and I anticipate having units on the east side of Kiev before too much longer.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 123
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/17/2019 4:39:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T12 and this is what it looks like just NE of Kiev right now. I've captured some river crossings and I'm streaming units into the area on the east side of the river, spreading out converting roads and rails and I'm running into medium resistance in the form of several Soviet units. I've been trying to surround them before I kill them to sequester the damaged units. The supply situation is still adequate for operations but the railhead is still too far away to be useful. The Soviets are counterattacking seriously now. All over the map.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 124
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/17/2019 4:47:31 PM   
Hellen_slith

Larry, I like that font you have in the "line" info (where it says "Location .... Marsh (observed)"

How did you do that?

Post #: 125
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/17/2019 4:55:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith
Larry, I like that font you have in the "line" info (where it says "Location .... Marsh (observed)"

How did you do that?
In the MODs section of our forum somebody had modified the font.ini file to enlarge the verbage in the dialogs and panels, etc. and I adopted it on my machine as well. I like it a lot. I've posted the font.ini file that I'm using here below. Just rename your original font.ini file and unzip this one into the folder where your *.ini files exist ( my documents\my games\opart4 ) and then start up TOAW to see if there's something you'd like to change yet. Enjoy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 126
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/17/2019 8:44:41 PM   
Zovs

Thanks Larry!

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Post #: 127
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/17/2019 8:50:35 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

How did you do that?
In the MODs section of our forum somebody had modified the font.ini file to enlarge the verbage in the dialogs and panels, etc. and I adopted it on my machine as well. I like it a lot. I've posted the font.ini file that I'm using here below. Just rename your original font.ini file and unzip this one into the folder where your *.ini files exist ( my documents\my games\opart4 ) and then start up TOAW to see if there's something you'd like to change yet. Enjoy.

Many thanks, Larry, that is very helpful to know!!

Post #: 128
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/19/2019 4:28:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T13 and this is what the Leningrad area looks like right now. I'm still pushing toward the city and the Soviets are slowly being pushed backward. As you can see I'm taking some risks in trying to gain some territory by pushing my engineers northward and they will be confronted by the Soviets next turn for sure.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 129
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/19/2019 4:44:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Smolensk area right now. I'm across the river and pushing east as hard as I can because the winter weather is approaching and that means the supply net will collapse and I need it as far east as I can get it before that happens. The supply levels are in the teens and I may need to rest the troops for a couple of turns to let the supply levels rise a bit. The railhead is only now arriving at Minsk and it's too far away to help much here. It's all the more frustrating in that I can't employ my RR arty anywhere useful because the rails aren't repaired as far forward as they would need to be to rail my RR arty into range of something Soviet. I really need them at Odessa and in the Leningrad area as well as here near Smolensk. Most of the progress I'm making is in the south.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 130
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/19/2019 11:06:24 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the Odessa area looks like right now. I've surrounded the city and I'm bringing in some arty to start the bombardment and maybe do some probing attacks to start the take-down. The railhead is just east of Bendery and will soon have repaired the rail enough for me to bring in the RR arty and get them busy as well. So far progress has been rapid and I expect to soon be in the Crimea.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/19/2019 11:07:14 PM >

Post #: 131
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/21/2019 7:04:50 AM   
StuccoFresco

Is there a Supply Point in Odessa?

Post #: 132
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/21/2019 7:09:59 AM   
larryfulkerson

I think there may be two supply points there at Odessa one at the city itself and one offshore in the water.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 133
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/21/2019 2:29:39 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T15 and this is the Leningrad area right now. I'm slowly pushing north toward the city and the Soviets are slowly being pushed backward. The Finns are slowly inching their way toward the stop line and I expect to have the city fairly soon. Maybe in the next 10 turns or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 134
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/21/2019 10:11:37 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've found an area that doesn't have very many Soviet units in it and I'm making some pretty good progress. The supply level is really low and I'm going to have to call a halt to the frenzy soon. It's T15 which is August 10, 1941 and the days are getting shorter and the air is starting to feel cool in the morning. Fall weather. So far so good.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 135
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/22/2019 7:43:28 AM   
cathar1244

OT, sort of, but I'm curious about the Oranienbaum Bridgehead during the war.

Amazing that the Soviets were able to hold it in 1941-42. Was there a deciding factor that made it too tough to take?

Cheers

Post #: 136
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/22/2019 3:07:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

OT, sort of, but I'm curious about the Oranienbaum Bridgehead during the war.

Amazing that the Soviets were able to hold it in 1941-42. Was there a deciding factor that made it too tough to take?

Cheers
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe one of our experts can answer that better.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/22/2019 3:11:33 PM >

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 137
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/22/2019 3:07:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T16 now and this is the Leningrad area right now. I'm risking my units to gain Soviet territory and I' slowly pushing the Soviet units backward. I should have the city before too much longer. Maybe another 10 turns or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 138
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/24/2019 6:36:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in front of Moscow. The front lines have gaps in them and it's just a matter of time before the Soviets find them. So I'm scrambling to find enough units to form a solid line from north to south. Those troops are especially hard to find. As it happens almost everybody is already employed and those units not doing anything important are rare. You can see the supply levels, how it's pretty good in the west and down to single digits at the face of the advance. The nearest railhead has just now passed Minsk. It's T18 or 20Aug41.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/24/2019 6:37:34 PM >

Post #: 139
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/26/2019 8:39:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T19 and this is the area just NE of Kiev and you can see how I've forced the river crossings and I'm advancing south to trap all the Soviet units along the river bank on the east side of the river. I'm hoping to trap and kill all of them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 140
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/27/2019 12:26:10 AM   
larryfulkerson

It's T20 and this is the Leningrad area right now. I'm trying to do a right hook to cut off Leningrad from it's supply source. That will help the take down a LOT. I've sunk all the Soviet ships with my Stukas and now I'm in a gunfight with the offshore CD guns. They don't shoot at my ships so I guess I've defeated their long-range guns and now what's left there is the riff raff that goes with a CD unit. I'm thinking of stopping the Soviet turn long enough for me to check out what's left at that offshore position I'm bombarding. The supply level is in the high teens so operations are still supported. The Finns are at the stop line so they won't be helping out from the north much. I'm wondering what would happen if I drove my ships SE past the CD unit and into the Leningrad bay / harbor area to support the land troops. If I remember correctly the Soviets have some CD guns ashore as well as out in the harbor. I'll have to watch out for those.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 141
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/27/2019 12:28:54 AM   
larryfulkerson

My mom was having problems with her computer again just now so she called me and I talked her through her logjam and I thought I'd post a picture of me helping her.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 142
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/28/2019 5:18:24 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T20 and this is the D-town / Z-town area down south and I've forced the river crossing at D-town and I'm trying to get as many units across the river as possible. The supply situation is poor with single digits everywhere and I may have to put the exploit phase on hold.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 143
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/29/2019 2:11:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T21 and this is what Leningrad looks like now. I'm still trying to do a right hook and cut off the city from their supply source but Soviet resistance has hardened and I'm hitting a brick wall. I'm sending all my RR arty to this area to help bring about the take down. The supply levels have risen a bit so operations can continue. Most of the progress I'm making is in the south still.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 144
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/29/2019 6:32:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is what it looks like in front of Moscow from Smolensk down to Orel and you can see how the front lines are broken and dynamic. There's lots of gaps and I know that's risky but I've run out of warm bodies to have a solid line from north to south. It's been working out so far. But it's just a matter of time before it bites me in the a$$.

I'm moving the RR arty toward Leningrad but the trip is so far that it's taking more than one turn. The railhead closest to Smolensk is just now reaching Minsk. That's how far behind it is. But the supply levels are in the low teens so I'm still pushing. About 1/3 of all the planes are yellow and need to rest. I'm playing this game using the red green yellow rules. Green units can move and shoot, yellow units can move but can't shoot, and red units can't more or shoot unless they are moving toward a better supply source. I got that rule from Steve Sill and I think it gives me a more realistic game. YMMV.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/29/2019 6:34:07 PM >

Post #: 145
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 10/29/2019 11:00:48 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is what it looks like in the Kiev area right now. I've pushed the Kiev defenders through the river crossing hex and I'm in the process of helping the Axis units on the east side of the river to destroy all the Soviet defenders. The supply level is in the high teens which is adequate for operations. I'm hoping to run a supply rail through the Kiev hexes and then SE from there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 146
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 11/6/2019 12:12:28 AM   
larryfulkerson

It's T25 and I've finally captured Leningrad and now the Finns can move south and surround the Soviet units so that the German units can finish them off. I'm still trying to do the right hook and cut off Leningrad from it's supply source. I need to do that to make the take-down of all the Soviet units defending there. They are trapped and aren't going anywhere and I'm in no big hurry to kill them. I might ought to be.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 147
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 11/6/2019 12:40:07 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the action just west of Moscow and you can see the dynamic nature of the front lines. The Soviets make a breakthrough every once and again and I need to stop everything and plug the hole and try to make the invader dissappear. I'm way to outnumbered to feel comfortable about this situation. I have no reserve because all the units are all busy already. The advance has stalled completely and very little progress is being made here. Soviet resistance is very heavy in this area and I'm trying to get a surround on one unit at a time and kill it before it can successfully fight it's way back to it's lines. I've got areas here that I need to use the engineers and recon units to stand in the line. Those are the weak areas where the Soviets make their breakthroughs. I feel like I need a lot more people to make this advance work. I think what I'll do is chose an area down south where I'm just about to enter a very low supply area and set up a screen and ship a lot of those people up here to help out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 148
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 11/6/2019 12:47:20 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is the area SE of Kiev and you can see how I'm trying to trap the Soviet defenders along the river before they can get away. I'd like to kill as many of them as I can. The supply level is in the mid-teens so far so we're a go for liftoff still. I need the river crossings to allow the supply to flow from the west side of the river to the east side. The railhead is still west of Kiev still and is of no help down here that I can discern.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 149
RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... - 11/8/2019 4:11:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

[ Edit: the system seems to have deleted my image. I'll leave the verbage anyway. ]

This is the Crimea now and the railhead is just offscreen one hex from the rail on the left side of the image. So supply isn't a problem so far. There's not a lot of Soviet units near Sevastopol so I think I may have enough units present to take down the port. There's two Soviet naval units that I need to set my Stukas on. There's another group on the right that's clearing out the way to the Kerch Straits. At least there's enough airfields to park a lot of my planes. I'd like to see if it's possible to ship one or more of the RR arty units down here when the rail is repaired enough to give them enough range to be helpful. That would help the take down significantly. It would take two turns for them to arrive once started on their journey to the south. Freeing up Sevastopol before 4Dec41 will release the Bulgarians and I could sure use them this coming winter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/18/2019 1:53:24 PM >

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: The D21 Road Not Taken.... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI