Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: R/R Destruction

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: R/R Destruction Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: R/R Destruction - 4/26/2020 3:24:48 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Damn the designer all to hell, right?

And history.

Oh look...I got another post in.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 4/26/2020 3:25:37 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 181
RE: R/R Destruction - 4/26/2020 5:37:54 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Well, I’m not a big-time player of the East Front scenarios

But you are a Scenario Designer. So design an East Front scenario and then you can criticize other's work. Until then stick to what you know and recognize that we all respect that.

*Still hiding behind the shutdown* [It's an excuse for drinking, but I guess you didn't read that in the News Line, maybe we need more characters].

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 182
destruction of the railroad via air - 4/26/2020 9:18:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

double post, sorry

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/26/2020 9:24:11 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 183
RE: R/R Destruction - 4/26/2020 5:36:14 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
So design an East Front scenario and then you can criticize other's work.

East Front? Why would I possibly want to go thru that old news.

Well, I didn’t mean to be critical and I didn’t call anyone dumb asses for having a different opinion. I gave some solutions to what I see as deficiencies and I questioned the logic of 100% automatic rail destruction. When you have time please post the quotes where I am being overly critical. I need to see just what it is that's offensive.

For the record, I don’t consider myself a designer. Hacker would be more appropriate.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 184
RE: R/R Destruction - 4/26/2020 8:41:40 PM   
Hellen_slith

Glad to see your update on this one, Larry, it is one of my favorite scenes!

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 185
D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/27/2020 1:06:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've restarted and this is the start of T2. My immediate goal is the river crossings including Riga. I want to get on the east side of the river so I can try to trap a lot of Soviet units before they build any fortresses. I'm thinking about the possibility of dropping some bridges using aircraft just to slow down the Soviet buildup.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/27/2020 1:07:07 AM >

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 186
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/27/2020 5:35:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've had a request for the scenario so I zipped up the files and uploaded it to a file server. The link is here:
http://www.filedropper.com/directive21lgf

It's 04/27/2020 so anything past a month from now will probably be unavailable. So just let me know it's expired
and I'll upload it again so you can have it too.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 187
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/27/2020 5:57:36 PM   
Richard III

Thanks Larry
Just got it. Your AAR led me to buy the game ;)

FoW

“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy

Post #: 188
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/27/2020 6:06:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Thanks Larry
Just got it. Your AAR led me to buy the game ;)

Good I was hoping you would get it. You don't have PM's turned on or you would have had it sooner. But that's just water under the bridge. D21 is my favorite scenario even though I've never won a game playing it.

Thanks for your kind words about my AAR. I'm trying to make it fun for you guys.

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 189
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/27/2020 6:57:11 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a view of what's going on in the south. I'm running into small groups of Soviet troops so it's easy to surround them and destroy them systematically. I've got my recon groups out searching out the resistance so I can choose the best path forward.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 190
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/28/2020 5:24:54 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I've had a request for the scenario so I zipped up the files and uploaded it to a file server. The link is here:
http://www.filedropper.com/directive21lgf

It's 04/27/2020 so anything past a month from now will probably be unavailable. So just let me know it's expired
and I'll upload it again so you can have it too.

Larry, is the version on your filedropper account different from the one in "mods/scenarios"?

Just curious, i d/l the one from the link above and wanted to check before I unzipped and installed, did not want to mess up the D21s already in my queue.

If it is different from the "latest" version, can you quickly review the changes? I could not find info in the thread, but I probably just missed it. Thanks again! ~H~

Post #: 191
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/28/2020 5:29:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

The version on the file server is indeed different from the one in "mods/scenarios". I have decreased the chance for Axis railroad destruction from 100% to 70% for a final setting. This is to simulate the Soviets not having enough time or resources to FU the railroad before they exit the hex. I'm aware that the Axis and Soviet railroads are a different gauge but I'm allowing the Axis to use Soviet rail cars they have captured. I know, it sounds lame. But I like it.

Post #: 192
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/28/2020 8:03:44 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thank you, Larry, for the explanation. Sounds like a good mod, I am hoping to try it soon! In mean time, I follow your AAR, and thanks again!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/28/2020 8:06:19 PM >

Post #: 193
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/29/2020 12:17:19 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've succeeded in getting on the east side of the escaping Soviet troops and I'm slowly dissolving them a few at a time. This is why I want to get on the east side of the river....so I can trap many more Soviet units and kill them. I'm running my fighters at "ignore losses" because the shock difference is so high in my favor right now. My air shock is 120% and the Soviet air shock is 5% so I'm targeting all the airbases I can reach to get rid of the Soviet air force while my losses will be so low.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 194
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/29/2020 1:38:54 AM   
rhinobones

Larry

I’ve watched this series of AAR’s, along with the PAW AAR’s, with great interest and enjoyment. I was wondering however, if in addition to the big overall AAR’s you make, whether an AAR of just one formation could be built into the big AAR? Within the context of the big AAR, an AAR for just one formation could document the advances, battles, losses, refitting and defensive struggles of that formation.

I know that this would be more work for you, but as much as you seem to love these big campaign scenarios documenting the action seems to be even more enjoyable than playing. As an example, in D21 document the action of the 9th Panzer Division from Barbarossa thru Berlin. First there is the big AAR, then whenever the 9th Panzer Division makes a significant move, participates in a battle or suffers losses, slap in some text and jpg’s of what the 9th is doing. Kind of a battle within a battle. I think it could enhance the campaign level AAR with a more personal, divisional scale point of view.

Just an idea for your consideration.

Best Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Post #: 195
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/29/2020 1:40:33 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Steve: That sounds like a good idea. I'll get busy.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 196
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/29/2020 8:34:24 AM   
larryfulkerson

The 6th Panzer Division is in the process of reducing Riga and it appears that one more combat phase ought to do it. The railhead is almost to Riga already and that's a good thing. I need to get some supply flowing to the east side of the river to continue the advance. I've captured some other crossings besides Riga and that will allow my units to leap the river in more than one spot at a time. I'm also in the process of clearing out the peninsula on the west side of Riga and it's going to take at least one more turn to clear it all. I'm trying to keep the units of the 6th Panzer Division together just in case I need their unique services. One little nit I want to pick is that it doesn't have any organic arty and will have to depend on other units for that service. I'm thinking of assigning a dedicated arty unit to the division unofficially just to provide some arty services to the division. It will have to be motorized arty so it can keep up. After I've captured Riga I'm going to turn it into an aircraft maintenance hub to rest the planes and fix them and pair them up with a group of pilots. Say about three pilots per aircraft. That way I can keep it flying all hours of the day and night. I'm thinking of moving OKH to Riga for the pep rallies we're going to hold. I've heard that Hitler has a self-parody routine that is really funny. Then we're going to build a huge wall around Riga and make the Mexicans pay for it.

EDIT: I intend to follow the 6th Panzer Division on their exploits so we can watch then on their campaign.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/30/2020 2:55:28 AM >

Post #: 197
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/30/2020 2:50:51 AM   
fulcrum28

thanks for sharing your file Larry. Do Luftwaffe units use now same color as Hungarian ground troops? Black/Brown? Still some Ju-87 units display grey color, is it intended?

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

Post #: 198
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 4/30/2020 2:52:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

The colors of some specific units that look "wrong" are just an example of me being too lazy to fix it correctly. It still plays the same so I let it go.

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 199
Racing to Leningrad - 4/30/2020 8:43:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

The Finns are doing well in pushing the Soviet units south toward Leningrad. I'm getting tired of the Soviet ships bombarding my troops so I'm going to try to sink them all. I have one Stuka group based north of Leningrad within range that has been busy. I have already sunk some DD's and the BB from the northernmost Soviet naval group so that helps. I expect the Finns to reach the stop line in several turns.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 200
RE: Racing to Leningrad - 4/30/2020 9:03:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Minsk area right now. I've got a Panzer unit poised to push the Soviet defender out of Minsk and capture it. There's lots of surrounded Soviet units that are going to disappear soon. The Axis forces are pushing east as fast as they can go.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 201
RE: Racing to Leningrad - 5/1/2020 2:25:39 PM   
John B.

Hi Larry, I like the addition of following the 6th panzer division. Your AARs are always great and this adds another level of interest. Thanks!

Post #: 202
RE: Racing to Leningrad - 5/1/2020 11:06:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the south end of the Stalin Line down south and you can see how the Soviets are trying to escape to the EastNorthEast and I'm trying to get there before they do so I can trap them before they can get away. I'd like to kill as many of them as I can. The Soviets are blowing the bridges over the river and I've got my engineers busy trying to repair them all. I'll need those crossings for the good flow of supply. So far the supply levels are adequate for operations. But just.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/1/2020 11:07:16 PM >

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 203
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 5/3/2020 2:57:32 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I have decreased the chance for Axis railroad destruction from 100% to 70% . . .

Larry

Since you lowered the rail destruct level, have you noticed any difference in game play? Good or bad.

Regards

Colin Wright:

Post #: 204
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 5/3/2020 3:02:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm now on T5 and it's really too early to detect any discernable differences yet. I'm still seeing railroad hexes leaving broken rails when I traverse them but maybe not so often. I'm not sure. So far the difference I've been looking for hasn't shown it's presence. It may not make all that much difference in the long run. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 205
Rail Testing - 5/3/2020 3:52:06 PM   
rhinobones

Like everything associated with TOAW you’ll probably need to do some testing before you get the desired level of damage. For my own purposes I did some testing at 50% and 70%. Force 1 traveled over 30 enemy rail hexes leaving a trail of broken rails; looks like TOAW rounds the results to the upside. If you want to do a little testing, I’ve attached the SEC files and some pictures of my results.

Best Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

Post #: 206
RE: Rail Testing - 5/3/2020 5:15:21 PM   
larryfulkerson

I downloaded everything and I'll put it to good use. Thanks very much.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 207
RE: Rail Testing - 5/5/2020 11:23:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

The 6th Panzer Division helped take down Riga and now they have moved to the east to start the project to reduce Pskov. The idea is to outflank the Soviet defenders to render the natural defensive terrain features irellevant. This will require a good way to get across the river and we've already grabbed one bridge over the river. Now the trick is to pour some troops across that bridge.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 208
RE: D21 lgf restart; T2; race to Riga - 5/6/2020 12:33:25 AM   
rhinobones

Larry

Attached is a small mod for your D21 Override Graphics. It replaces the squad/section (· ·) designator with the conventional battalion designator. No more having battalions running around disguised as squads and sections. Use as you like.

Good to see the 6th Pz Division’s progress.

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

Post #: 209
T5: race to Pskov - 5/6/2020 1:58:59 AM   
larryfulkerson

Thanks Steve. I'm going to use it of course. I've come to really like watching the 6th Panzer folks. I'm rooting for them.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/6/2020 2:00:22 AM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: R/R Destruction Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI