Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DXWnd made easy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> DXWnd made easy Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DXWnd made easy - 3/13/2019 2:16:00 AM   
simovitch

I can't stress to you enough about the performance boost you will get playing this game full screen through Dxwnd with W10. So here's an easy way to get started:

Game should be installed in: C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to the Bombing of the Reich. If not, you will have to search for the install path of your btr.exe file using DXWnd after step 4. below

1. Download and extract v2_05_50_build version of DXWnd into your c: drive or wherever. Other versions may not work with the EDBTR.dxw provided with the patch! There is no additional install process needed for DXWnd, just unzip it anywhere and make a shortcut of dxwnd.exe to your desktop.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/files/Latest%20build/

2. Start GG's EDBTR and go to "Options" and make sure the "Use Windowed Mode" button is NOT selected. Exit the game.
3. download the attached file called EDBTR.txt (also included in 1.04 and higher patches) and rename it to EDBTR.dxw. This is the preset configuration file for EDBTR.
4. Run Dxwnd and go to the menu: File -> Import and find the EDBTR.dxw file and load it.
5. With the EDBTR icon highlighted in the Dxwnd screen, go to Options -> Expert Mode -> Tools -> Clear Compatibility flags

Double click the EDBTR icon in the Dxwnd screen and away you go.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by simovitch -- 1/20/2022 12:00:20 PM >

simovitch

Post #: 1
RE: DXWnd made easy - 3/13/2019 6:15:51 PM   
CCIP-subsim

Great tip - and a very handy program to get familiar with in general if you like playing older games

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 2
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/29/2019 10:31:06 AM   
demyansk

Do you have to do this every time?

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 3
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/29/2019 11:54:28 AM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

Do you have to do this every time?

No, you just run the game through dxwnd on your desktop once its configured:

Attachment (1)

simovitch

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 4
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/30/2019 9:08:36 AM   
demyansk

Thanks simo

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/30/2019 9:12:07 AM   
demyansk

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

I can't stress enough about the performance boost you will get playing this game full screen through Dxwnd with W10. So here's an easy way to get started:

1. Download and install the latest version of DXWnd.
2. Start GG's EDBTR and go to "Options" and make sure the "Use Windowed Mode" button is NOT selected. Exit the game.
3. download the attached file called EDBTR.txt and rename it to EDBTR.dxw. This is the preset configuration file for EDBTR.
4. Run Dxwnd and go to File -> Import and find the EDBTR.dxw file and load it.
5. In Dxwnd, go to Options -> Expert Mode
6. In Dxwnd, go to Tools -> Clear Compatibility flags

Double click the EDBTR icon in the Dxwnd screen and away you go.

Simo, where do you download the edbtr.txt from. I am not sure of how you get into the changing of files.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 6
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/30/2019 10:29:19 AM   
simovitch

It's attached to the first post of this thread. I had to call it .txt so that it attaches to this thread. You can rename it by right-clicking it after you download it and renaming it.

But if you have installed the 1.04 patch, you should already have EDBTR.dxw in your install folder.

< Message edited by simovitch -- 11/30/2019 10:32:36 AM >

simovitch

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 7
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/30/2019 12:30:27 PM   
demyansk

quote:

DXWnd

Hi Simo,

I did all this and it has the icon in the Dxwnd box. I double clicked on the icon in the box but the game doesn't start. Is it supposed to start from this icon or do you start the game normally? Thanks for helping.

I started the game and did a brief fighter sweep, easy, a few British planes hit balloons.

< Message edited by demyansk -- 11/30/2019 12:39:23 PM >

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 8
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/30/2019 12:49:27 PM   
demyansk

simo i did it twice so I have two icons up there I double click on the icon and it doesn't go to the game, not sure of what I did wrong?
I was reading directions on a website and I need to use the exe to start? I think I have it I went to add and added the exe file from the game into the program.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by demyansk -- 11/30/2019 1:03:51 PM >

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 9
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/30/2019 4:57:41 PM   
simovitch

To use the attached file, the game needs to be installed in C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to the Bombing of the Reich\btr.exe

If you installed it elsewhere you will need to change the path in the dxwnd settings to where the btr.exe resides.

< Message edited by simovitch -- 11/30/2019 4:58:12 PM >

simovitch

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 10
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/30/2019 5:26:23 PM   
demyansk

I think I have it now, there was another step with the exe file, thanks for helping

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 11
RE: DXWnd made easy - 1/20/2020 2:38:26 AM   
jlank27

Thanks!! With your help got Dxwnd to work on my Windows 10 machine. Appreciate the guidance.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 12
RE: DXWnd made easy - 5/9/2020 9:49:03 AM   
bigduke6

Hi I have installed as you listed and as the person above on double clicking the game icon nothing happens. My game is in D: matrix games etc as is the exe for it and the dx file. I have put that in the dx file folder as you instructed but nothing happens when double clicking the icon?

(in reply to jlank27)
Post #: 13
RE: DXWnd made easy - 5/9/2020 1:20:54 PM   
bigduke6

I better go through what I have done. I downloaded the latest DXWnd file onto my desktop. My game is in D: matrix games(etc) and the exe and the dx file is there.
I followed the steps below
. Download and install the latest version of DXWnd.
3. download the attached file called EDBTR.txt (also included in 1.04 and higher patches) and rename it to EDBTR.dxw. This is the preset configuration file for EDBTR.
4. Run Dxwnd and go to File -> Import and find the EDBTR.dxw file and load it.
5. In Dxwnd, go to Options -> Expert Mode
6. In Dxwnd, go to Tools -> Clear Compatibility flags.

The EDBTR icon is in the DXWnd box but on clicking it nothing happens. the edbtr.dxw is correct, and its in the same folder as the edtbr exe so whats wrong?

< Message edited by bigduke6 -- 5/9/2020 1:30:06 PM >

(in reply to bigduke6)
Post #: 14
RE: DXWnd made easy - 5/9/2020 1:40:47 PM   
bigduke6

sorted - even though I put d drive in the dx wind had it on c drive - I modified it to d and now runs perfect - many thanks

(in reply to bigduke6)
Post #: 15
RE: DXWnd made easy - 5/26/2020 3:58:34 PM   
Artaud

Does DXWnd change anything else on your computer? Does it have an impact on other games and other programs? I bought a Win 10 computer recently and installed EDBTR, and I'm surprised at how slow it is. Loads slow, plays slow. In full screen and in windowed mode.

I have read through the above posts but I'm not really tech savvy, and I don't want to mess anything else up. I need this computer for work, and I can't afford to mess it up.

(in reply to bigduke6)
Post #: 16
RE: DXWnd made easy - 5/26/2020 6:02:46 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artaud

Does DXWnd change anything else on your computer? Does it have an impact on other games and other programs? I bought a Win 10 computer recently and installed EDBTR, and I'm surprised at how slow it is. Loads slow, plays slow. In full screen and in windowed mode.

I have read through the above posts but I'm not really tech savvy, and I don't want to mess anything else up. I need this computer for work, and I can't afford to mess it up.

Hello and Welcome,
Dxwnd wont do anything to any other programs. Sometimes your screen display will be changed but only if you exit the game/dxwnd improperly (like a power outage or ctrl-alt-del).

simovitch

(in reply to Artaud)
Post #: 17
RE: DXWnd made easy - 5/26/2020 10:22:41 PM   
Artaud

Thank you. I will read through the above posts and try to work up the nerve to install DXWnd.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 18
RE: DXWnd made easy - 8/18/2020 3:26:01 PM   
gargamel9

Hi there
I installed DXWnd but
It seems like the game takes a long time to load either with or without it.
Im guessing it is normal from all the processing added with the patches

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 19
RE: DXWnd made easy - 10/12/2020 1:44:37 AM   
jimpyle

WOW!!! What a difference. I was really disappointed with the game until I started using this tip.

THANKS!

(in reply to gargamel9)
Post #: 20
RE: DXWnd made easy - 10/24/2020 10:20:27 AM   
Gary D

Greetings Folks,

Just re-installing and catching up with all the hard work you have done with this old classic. Followed the instructions posted on getting DXWND to fix some of the WIN10 issues and have bumped into a wall. Game will launch fine from the normal desktop. However using the imported DXWND file you have posted above and trying to run it from DXWND the intro video starts then I get and error window telling me there is a problem with my serial number with a long code and it directs me to Matrix support.

Given the game runs normally when launched from the desktop I figure its not truly a serial number issue but something that DXWND is injecting into the startup process thats causing the issue. Has anyone else seen this or developed a solution?

Thank you for your time!

V/r
Gary

(in reply to jimpyle)
Post #: 21
RE: DXWnd made easy - 10/24/2020 4:46:03 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary D

Greetings Folks,

Just re-installing and catching up with all the hard work you have done with this old classic. Followed the instructions posted on getting DXWND to fix some of the WIN10 issues and have bumped into a wall. Game will launch fine from the normal desktop. However using the imported DXWND file you have posted above and trying to run it from DXWND the intro video starts then I get and error window telling me there is a problem with my serial number with a long code and it directs me to Matrix support.

Given the game runs normally when launched from the desktop I figure its not truly a serial number issue but something that DXWND is injecting into the startup process thats causing the issue. Has anyone else seen this or developed a solution?

Thank you for your time!

V/r
Gary

Try clearing all the flags again per step 5.

simovitch

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 22
RE: DXWnd made easy - 10/25/2020 3:16:21 AM   
Gary D

Simovitch,

When re-clearing the flags I am receiving an "error 5 in RegOpenKeyEx HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" message. Tried a complete reinstall of both BTR and DXWND and still ran into the same issue. Not sure where to go from here.

Gary

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 23
RE: DXWnd made easy - 10/26/2020 5:47:23 PM   
simovitch

I have been getting that same "error 5" but I can still run dxwnd fine so I'm not sure what is happening. Setting the btr.exe properties to "run as administrator" might help...?

When you do a complete reinstall, you should always uninstall first if possible, and then start with btr version 1.00 before patching to 1.06.

simovitch

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 24
RE: DXWnd made easy - 10/26/2020 9:17:37 PM   
Gary D

Simovitch thanks for taking the time to look at it.

We all appreciate your support!

V/r
Gary

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 25
RE: DXWnd made easy - 10/31/2020 8:38:09 AM   
Recognition

I have tried all the above, just purchased the game, re-installed, run as Admin, done all that was mentioned and I still get the serial number error and cannot get into the game.

https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 26
RE: DXWnd made easy - 10/31/2020 6:54:03 PM   
cohimbra

DXwnd never worked for me. I set btr.exe compatibility with Win8 and select windowed mode in game option. Game run fast with no problem at all. (I have laptop Lenovo Amd2 win10). Hope this help, my max resolution is 1366x768 so windowed mode is ok , if you have higher res...i don't know.

< Message edited by cohimbra -- 10/31/2020 6:56:36 PM >

(in reply to Recognition)
Post #: 27
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/2/2020 10:14:29 AM   
Halsey74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Recognition

I have tried all the above, just purchased the game, re-installed, run as Admin, done all that was mentioned and I still get the serial number error and cannot get into the game.

Same for me.

(in reply to Recognition)
Post #: 28
RE: DXWnd made easy - 11/2/2020 12:02:04 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Recognition

Same for me.

Please see the thread I started in Tech Support.

simovitch

(in reply to Halsey74)
Post #: 29
RE: DXWnd made easy - 12/5/2020 6:04:09 AM   
Reg

I tried DxWnd with WITP-AE and it didn't improve performance...

However, it did allow the graphics to update on non-default screens (Main Display) which is an improvement over the standard game window and really useful if you have multiple monitors.

You can use the modal window style (without borders) to get a full screen effect.

Useful little program.

< Message edited by Reg -- 12/5/2020 6:21:10 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> DXWnd made easy Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI