Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1]

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1] Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1] - 3/20/2019 5:32:48 PM   
Rhygin00

Hello there, you might or might not remember the post I made a while ago about the strange long range detection of submarines by the Mk.1 Eyeball. You asked for a save and I promptly forgot about it. I create this new thread to bring this to your attention anew.

In the scen file a "civilians" counter is on a nightly stroll along the coast of the quite dark Mediterranean, perusing only its god given eyesight. They will soon find out that indeed a dangerous USN nuclear submarine is closing in on their position at 5 knots at periscope depth.

Please fast forward a few minutes and see that the civilians not only spot the SSN at a range of 0.9 nautical miles, but also immediately recognize it as an SSN! In the dark!

During the day the detection is made at 1.1 nm. Sea state does not seem to have an effect, fog/rain does.

You might also notice that the submarine, when set to a specific depth does not hold this depth when changing scenario sides, but always automatically ascends to periscope depth while viewing the civilian's side. This automatic depth change is another issue I do not quite understand, the chosen doctrine settings should not allow this. It will make another post about this here if you deem it necessary.

The above is to my knowledge the case for all subs, not only the one used in the scenario. Thanks for your consideration.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rhygin00 -- 3/20/2019 6:28:36 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1] - 3/20/2019 7:16:33 PM   
lumiere

Using lua, I made a experiment with your scenario. I think submarine at periscope depth is resolved just same as surfaced.
I thought I could post scripts here, I am sorry to say however website doesn't allows me to do so(because I'm fish!).

Here is the result.
1. When North Dakota is periscope depth (depth=-20m)
distance between two units is .89 nm/1629 m.

2. When North Dakota surfaces (depth=0m)
distance between two units is .9 nm/1648 m.

I tried several times, but result is almost the same.

I'm still checking how wether affects detection range.

"War claims its bitter, useless, sacrifice."

(in reply to Rhygin00)
Post #: 2
RE: Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1] - 3/20/2019 10:21:40 PM   
Rhygin00

It is actually not just subs that are detected by the eyeball, but also everything else. If you replace the sub with a 7m RHIB for example, the eyeball can detect it from 1.6 nm at night. Or at least it can see there something on the surface almost 3 km away...

I do not know of course the details of the engine, effects of starlight and moonlight, wakes and some such...

< Message edited by Rhygin00 -- 3/20/2019 10:27:25 PM >

(in reply to lumiere)
Post #: 3
RE: Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1] - 3/20/2019 11:32:42 PM   
Grazyn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhygin00

You might also notice that the submarine, when set to a specific depth does not hold this depth when changing scenario sides, but always automatically ascends to periscope depth while viewing the civilian's side. This automatic depth change is another issue I do not quite understand, the chosen doctrine settings should not allow this. It will make another post about this here if you deem it necessary.

The above is to my knowledge the case for all subs, not only the one used in the scenario. Thanks for your consideration.

This is an old bug that was resolved months ago, I guess it was brought back by the new patch?

(in reply to Rhygin00)
Post #: 4
RE: Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1] - 3/21/2019 2:19:30 AM   
i224747

Actual "civilians" could be anything: a retired President of the USA, a sub commander on vacation with binoculars or your neighbour.
So the detection range is somehow plausible.

(in reply to Grazyn)
Post #: 5
RE: Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1] - 4/21/2019 2:02:28 PM   
Dimitris

Is this still an issue?

(in reply to i224747)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Periscope/Sub detection [1.15.1] Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI