Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hello

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Hello Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 9:30:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Well apparently, because I’m British and we all think the same and we all dislike Napoleon in a vicereal way, I think Napoleon was a bit of a naughty. Note, no other persons of British extraction need to pass further comment as apparently I’ve spoken for all of us (according to selected French lawyers who have provided legal opinion that we are all of exactly the same mindset).

"A bit of a naughty" you say? Are you speaking in the context of your Britishness or your naughtiness that your opinion on 'Ole Napo should be taken at face value?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 451
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 9:32:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

The short guy?
Blue suit?
Itchy stomach?

I heard he was blown apart.

RR

For one of my anatomy laboratories, we named our cat test subject accordingly. Napoleon Bone-a-part.

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 452
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 9:40:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

So in the interest of keeping this thread going to 1,000 posts - What do you all think of Napoleon?

You must be following another thread to understand the cryptic comment.
warspite1

Well apparently, because I’m British and we all think the same and we all dislike Napoleon in a vicereal way, I think Napoleon was a bit of a naughty. Note, no other persons of British extraction need to pass further comment as apparently I’ve spoken for all of us (according to selected French lawyers who have provided legal opinion that we are all of exactly the same mindset).

But, but... Wellington: "I used to say of him [Napoleon] that his presence on the field made the difference of forty thousand men." Asked who was the greatest general of his day, Wellington replied: 'In this age, in past ages, in any age, Napoleon'.

warspite1

Aurelian stop it! You’re ruining the narrative. ALL British vicerally hate Napoleon and we are all of one mind..... and I’m unanimous in that. Ergo and theretofore Wellington never said that, obvs.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 453
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 9:47:15 PM   
warspite1

Two questions that have been intriguing me for... well minutes....

- In WWII, which was better, the Sherman or Napoleon?

- Was Napoleon sunk or scuttled?

Just curious, and this seemed the perfect thread for such weighty matters...... Marylee would you care to start us off?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 454
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:00:15 PM   
DD696

I have to be honest here. I heard from reliable sources that MaryLee and ChickenBoy had a rendezvous. Naturally, MaryLee was too despondent to return to the forum after such a poultry performance. Zorch attempted to perform satisfactory maneuvers but was repulsed by such actions. Alas, MaryLee, such a frightful end to such an anticipated result. I predict that we shall never see you again, and woe is we.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 455
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:01:25 PM   
Zap

quote:

quote:

quote:

So in the interest of keeping this thread going to 1,000 posts - What do you all think of Napoleon?

warspite1

But, but... Wellington: "I used to say of him [Napoleon] that his presence on the field made the difference of forty thousand men." Asked who was the greatest general of his day, Wellington replied: 'In this age, in past ages, in any age, Napoleon'.

To put things into perspective. Wellington had only one food named after him, "Beef Wellington". Napoleon had two named after him, "Napoleon Brandy" and "Bigarreau Napoleon Cherry". So just based on this scientific info it backs the argument Napoleon was better loved and thus the best General of all times. OH, add to that Wellingtons words above a slam dunk for Naploleon..

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 456
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:05:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

To put things into perspective. Wellington had only one food named after him, "Beef Wellington". Napoleon had two named after him, "Napoleon Brandy" and "Bigarreau Napoleon Cherry". So just based on this scientific info it backs the argument Napoleon was better loved and thus the best General of all times. OH, add to that Wellingtons words above a slam dunk for Naploleon..
warspite1

Nope. You've obviously never visited a kitchen before Zorch. You've seriously never heard of Eggs Wellingon? Spaghetti Wellington? Wellington and chips? Chips and Wellington? Roast Wellington? Strange....

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 457
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:13:34 PM   
Zovs

Every one worth their salt knows it takes 10 Sherman’s to knock out 1 Napoleon!

France could have won the war if they built more Napoleons then the Germans tigers or panthers, sheeeesh

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 458
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:16:07 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

I have to be honest here. I heard from reliable sources that MaryLee and ChickenBoy had a rendezvous. Naturally, MaryLee was too despondent to return to the forum after such a poultry performance. Zorch attempted to perform satisfactory maneuvers but was repulsed by such actions. Alas, MaryLee, such a frightful end to such an anticipated result. I predict that we shall never see you again, and woe is we.

I heard similar rumblings but I did not want to make it public knowledge on social media. But since its now out there sad news about marylee.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 459
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:17:02 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

It's even worse than that, Zip.

Napoleon had the aforementioned two items named after him, you're correct. But don't forget Napoleon ice cream. Sure, it's usually misspelled "Neopolitan", but that's just a translation issue.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 460
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:18:51 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Nope. You've obviously never visited a kitchen before Zorch. You've seriously never heard of Eggs Wellingon? Spaghetti Wellington? Wellington and chips? Chips and Wellington? Roast Wellington? Strange....

I assume that his contribution to the culinary world is akin to the British contribution to the rest of the culinary world? To whit: boiled. So boiled fish and chips? Boiled roast? Boiled eggs? Boiled spaghetti? The latter two aren't that bad, come to think of it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 461
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:19:48 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

and we are all of one mind.....

...crazy.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 462
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:29:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

France could have won the war if they built more Napoleons then the Germans tigers or panthers, sheeeesh
warspite1

Seriously? The Napoleon was rubbish, it was small, rubbish in the snow, and hot weather, automatically selected reverse gear when it saw a British tank and had a very, very small, inadequate gun.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 463
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:30:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

I assume that his contribution to the culinary world is akin to the British contribution to the rest of the culinary world? To whit: boiled. So boiled fish and chips? Boiled roast? Boiled eggs? Boiled spaghetti? The latter two aren't that bad, come to think of it.
warspite1

Yeah... they could catch on. Boiled ham too.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 464
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 10:39:48 PM   
MrRoadrunner

Don't forget all the positive phrases:

Wellcome
Wellness
Wellth
Wellbeing
Wellintentioned
Wellherewegoagain
Wellbeseeingyou
and, Wellwellwell

The only thing on Napoleon.
Napkin
Napoftheearth
Naponese

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 465
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 11:02:03 PM   
Zovs

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Seriously? The Napoleon was rubbish, it was small, rubbish in the snow, and hot weather, automatically selected reverse gear when it saw a British tank and had a very, very small, inadequate gun.

Ah...forgot those tiny facts...well if they built 40,000 of them things maybe, just maybe...Chile would have revolted and stopped shipping bananas...who knows then...

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 466
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 11:04:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Ah...forgot those tiny facts...well if they built 40,000 of them things maybe, just maybe...Chile would have revolted and stopped shipping bananas...who knows then...
warspite1

Indeed, and there are no facts more tiny than the gun on Napoleon....

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 467
RE: Hello - 7/23/2019 11:40:43 PM   
Zap

Considering the vast majority of sports teams have the blue color a part of their uniforms. I mean who has red and grey(Brits) as a uniform color, practically no one. It seems the whole world has been inspired by Napoleon Army uniform color.
As you will take note even the Swiss Guard were inspired to take blue in their uniforms. Evidence is overwelming.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Zap -- 7/23/2019 11:45:02 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 468
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 1:08:38 AM   
Zovs

Well some Johnny Reb units had red and gray.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 469
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 5:38:43 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Considering the vast majority of sports teams have the blue color a part of their uniforms. I mean who has red and grey(Brits) as a uniform color, practically no one. It seems the whole world has been inspired by Napoleon Army uniform color.
As you will take note even the Swiss Guard were inspired to take blue in their uniforms. Evidence is overwelming.

warspite1

Grey?

Anyway, its a good point. I mean no one has ever heard of AC Milan, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Liverpool or Manchester United.......

....which actually got me thinking. How many successful football clubs play in Dark Blue? Looking at the major European leagues

In England of the top 6 there is Chelsea and previously there was Everton - so only 1 top team at anyone time. Of the rest of the top 6 - 3 play in Red (as named above), 1 in Austrian white and 1 in light blue that I couldn't imagine any soldier wearing

In Spain neither of the big two clubs play in dark blue - although Barcelona couldn't make up their mind and play in red and blue, while Real Madrid also adopt the Austrian approach

In France PSG are also red and blue. Of the historically successful clubs Lyon and Marseilles are Austrian White and St Etienne Russian Green.

In Germany the two top teams are Bayern (red) and Dortmund (Spanish yellow)

In Italy, Inter play in dark blue and black, AC Milan as mentioned wear red and black and Juventus white and black

...mmmmm I'm not seeing a lot of homage to Napoleon here - but quite a bit to Wellington

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 470
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 5:48:05 AM   
warspite1

I think one get's a better idea of Wellington and his greatness from this historical 'fly on the wall documentary". This is actual footage of the Duke's visit to the palace in 1805.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clM1i88s-7Q

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 471
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 6:36:16 AM   
Zovs

For football the Tampa Bay Buccaneers – red, grey & black

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 472
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 1:28:31 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Yeah, but did he mean 40,000 Frenchmen or 40,000 British for the advantage?

Probably more modern Frenchmen, they just can't seem to fight that well anymore. Well, at least most of them. The paratroopers do okay, probably since they are trained to be dropped off and have no place to retreat to. Unfortunately, most of the Frenchmen ended up using a different salute where you raise both hand up with the palms forward. Their new flag appears to be rectangular, in the upper left there is a white cross on a white background, the rest of the flag is white horizontal stripes alternating with white horizontal stripes.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 473
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 1:36:59 PM   
RangerJoe

If I remember correctly, the US Continental Army during the troubles with the United Kingdom had blue uniforms. So the French Army copied the US Army in that, but probably nothing else except for the Free French in World War II and afterwards when they were beggars . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 474
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 1:42:50 PM   
RangerJoe

Speaking of Napoleon food items:

quote:

Description

Thin, crispy puff pastry with layers of vanilla custard and whipped cream topped with flakes of puff pastry and powdered sugar.

https://www.portosbakery.com/items/napoleon-individual/

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 475
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 2:38:38 PM   
Shuffler

Hello, I'm a long-term forum user who has been inactive for a while. Thought Id say hello as part of my way to collect the 10 posts needed to post in the game forums. I'm very much enjoying TOAW IV right now.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 476
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 2:40:08 PM   
Zovs

You got 7 more to go, keep posting...

TOAW IV is great warts and all.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Shuffler)
Post #: 477
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 2:43:14 PM   
Shuffler

Agreed - it's a flawed masterpiece. The glitches and idiosyncrasies annoyed me a bit at the start but it's now just a part of the charm!

EDIT: [5 down, 5 to go]

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 478
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 2:45:45 PM   
RangerJoe

To get your post count up, you could always comment on this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3083586&mpage=345&key=�

Just don't strain your eyeballs!

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 479
RE: Hello - 7/24/2019 2:47:40 PM   
Shuffler

I'm at work - I think I'll pass on that thread for now!

[6 posts and counting]

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Hello Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI