Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/14/2019 12:35:46 AM   
Seminole

Turn 15

Overall strategic map at the beginning of the turn:

Ground losses at the outset of the turn.

The Finns finally push the Soviets off the river and make their own bridgehead.

AGN makes its first bid to enter Leningrad via coup de main. With all the firepower in the region they also continue the broad push.

At the Gomel bridgehead the Germans create a small pocket, but lack the available movement to close the ring.

Bryansk Front pulls the endangered forces back from the river while ordering a counterattack against the northern edge of the salient held by the 4th Panzer Division.
South of that Western Front falls back on the Snov river, while Southwestern Front takes over the line around Chernigov. We're granting him the bridgehead at this point as he's too stout to contest any longer and I simply risk him nibbling down my available formations with small pockets. We do leave a screen to maintain contact for fatigue and supply reasons. Pulling back to the river will give me some terrain advantage and if he penetrates that line we'll consider pulling off the Kiev/Dnepr line. I don't want to get setup for a late autumn pocket and undo the late summer progress in stalling OKH.

In the Donbass the Germans re-assert and complete the encirclement of a small pocket. They don't test the web defending Kharkov, but focus on getting a clean LOC over the Dnepr to support any additional thrusts.

Victory Point status.

Overall strategic map at the end of the turn:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 61
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/14/2019 3:23:25 AM   
Seminole

Turn 16

The Germans don't commit the same bombing runs and show a better loss ratio in ground support.
Showing Russian air frames lost to date:

The small Dnepr pocket is reduced by Axis forces.

Overall strategic picture at the start of the turn:

Holding again on the outskirts of Leningrad while the broad push continues.

Leningrad Front is reorganized and fresh Guards units are sent to bolster the second line and try to prevent any breakthroughs.

Smolensk region sees several Russian counterattacks that gain ground on the thin German line.
Guards Rifle Divisions awarded in the region coalesce on Smolensk to refit under their new TOE.

At the Gomel bridgehead the 2nd Panzer Group doesn't test the web defending Kiev's flank, but pushes to the northeast and tries to make a larger pocket linking with dense infantry formation bulling their way northeast as well on the other side of the river in a series of battles where the Soviets give grudgingly.

The Germans have created a thin salient, predominantly armored formations, but at least two infantry divisions also trying to support.

First a blow is delivered from the west against the German cavalry.

The reinforcements to Western and Bryansk front assault the northern Germany infantry pincer, and the Landsers give back the ground.

From the southern side of the salient an assault against the infantry division that is covering a corps HQ comes from several directions.

The coordinated assaults that follow create the Gomel Pocket.

On the lower Dnepr a thicker web is created below Poltava as the Germans are clearly regrouping at their bridgehead.
Plans to abandon the Dnepr near Kiev are shelved with the developments at Gomel.
STAVKA instead orders maximum resistance to the mechanized advance of 1st Panzer Group.

Ground losses for the turn:

Overall strategic picture at the end of the turn:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 62
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/14/2019 6:56:21 PM   
Seminole

Turn 17

OoB:

Air Losses:

In the Donbass the Germans have completed another encirclement from 1st Panzer Group's bridgehead.

Overall situation map at the beginning of the turn:

AGN hits the Leningrad outskirts again, but also continues to make the push eastward to isolate the city from overland supply.
Closer to Novgorod Northwest Front, which has been commanded by Zhukov for several weeks, makes another successful counter attack.

At the Gomel salient the Germans have muscled some breathing space and restored LOC to their isolated units.

Air recon uncovers the weakness of the salient can be found at the Gomel bridgehead.
Cavalry storm forward and scatter a German corps HQ back across the river.

General Malinovsky's 50th Army (Bryansk Front) is bolstered with a 104th Tank Div and overpowers the 167th Infantry Div, severing the Gomel salient.

STAVKA orders cavalry reserve into the breech and establish once again the Gomel Pocket.

General Kuznetsov's 3rd Army (Western Front) leads the assault against the Infantry Div holding the tail of the Gomel Pocket in the swamps. This is a critical position to gain if we're to hold his pocket in the rains and liquidate 2nd Panzer Group.

Cavalry move into the swamps to provide a solid cordon isolating 2nd Panzer Group in the Gomel Pocket.
On the Dnepr a cavalry and tank division help fill the line.

Again Gen. Kuznetsov's 3rd Army (Western Front) leads elements of 10th Army and STAVKA reserves in attacking the 3rd Panzer Div 'thorn' on the line.

19th Army, acting as STAVKA's local reserve blocking the further eastern advance of the Gomel salient, leads an attack on another 'thorn', this one possessed by 18th Panzer Div.
General Konev, a decorated commander from the recent efforts defending Kiev, overwhelms the German defenders and further collapse the Gomel Pocket.

Additional reserves fill in and squeeze the walls of the Gomel Pocket.
In the bag:
24th Pzr Korps
4th Pzr Div
34th Inf Div
3rd Pzr Div
18th Pzr Div
29th Mot Div
267th Inf Div
LAH SS Mot Div
17th Pzr Div
31st Inf Div

Farther south AGS has solidified their bridgehead over the Dnepr and formed the Poltava Pocket.

With the success at Gomel STAVKA doesn't feel the need to pull anymore reserves south of Kursk and orders a full scale counter attack to rescue the units trapped on the banks of the Dnepr.
General Dmitry Onuprienko's 33rd Army (STAVKA) leads elements of 49th Army (Caucasus Front) against the Das Reich SS Motorized Division. The propaganda component of this contest isn't lost on the General, and he rallies his troops sufficiently to break the pocket.

32nd Army (Southern Front) organizes a counter attack against a new German bridgehead of the Dnepr. They're able to send the Germans back to the western banks.

Ground losses for the turn:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 63
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/14/2019 7:07:47 PM   
Telemecus

Is the weather random and just forecast as mud for next turn or fixed? The Soviet side making a pocket just before mud is usually a death sentence - and more so if they have to clear two hexes for a rescue.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 64
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/14/2019 7:10:03 PM   
GoodbyeBluesky

The Axis player is going to be in big trouble. There is an absolute lack of any identifiable Schwerpunkt and it has already descended into a mere brawl which while he can still win is nohwere near enough to hurt the Red Army. Whats your current TOE ? Also the fact that you can just rest Guards at Moscow is very telling of how little pressure he must be exerting.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 65
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/14/2019 11:51:53 PM   
Seminole

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Is the weather random and just forecast as mud for next turn or fixed? The Soviet side making a pocket just before mud is usually a death sentence - and more so if they have to clear two hexes for a rescue.

It is random weather. There were some summer rains once per zone, but they tended to occur behind the action and it didn't really affect the campaign aside from the last pocket by Krivoi Rog.

I'm waiting to get turn 27 back, so I'll pause the AAR here until we resume.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 66
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/15/2019 3:27:59 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

It is random weather. There were some summer rains once per zone, but they tended to occur behind the action and it didn't really affect the campaign aside from the last pocket by Krivoi Rog.

I'm waiting to get turn 27 back, so I'll pause the AAR here until we resume.

Well we know that the Germans did not lose a bunch of stuff and resign, and are managing into the blizzard! Inquiring readers will want to know ...

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 67
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/15/2019 4:25:22 PM   
MattFL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

Well we know that the Germans did not lose a bunch of stuff and resign, and are managing into the blizzard! Inquiring readers will want to know ...

Well, we know that the Germans didn't resign. As for losing stuff and how blizzard is faring, we'll just have to wait and see. Random weather, wonder if the Germans were bailed out by a lack of mud on Turn 18....He could use a break!

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 68
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/20/2019 3:30:13 AM   
Seminole

Turn 18

Overall strategic picture at the beginning of the turn.

The Germans have closed the Poltava Pocket again, this time securely with the rain preventing massing for a counter attack.
STAVKA does not pay close enough attention to the weather forecast.

OoB before pocket consolidation:

Interface glitch doesn't show the 3rd Panzer Div surrender, but we also punt the HQ and its lost unit does appear.

First Guards Cav unit is created.
With the rain now halting any movement of the line STAVKA decides to pull the rest of the Guards units from the front line for refit around Moscow.
This decision, in retrospect of the forecast, was a mistake on the Leningrad front lines.
Will pull Motorized and Tank divisions from the line as reinforcements continue to fill in.
With the line established from the Baltic to the Black Sea we begin using the Military Districts train up new formations while they are filled in with men and material.

Overall strategic picture at the end of the week:

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 69
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/29/2019 5:24:00 AM   
MattFL

Panzer Divisions surrendering..... An entire Panzer Corps (more) surrounded in mud.... Hitler should sue for peace and save you both a 2 years of your lives.

Honestly, from what i'm seeing, i'm shocked you let him this close to Lenningrad. I can only imagine that the Blizzard in this game is going to be absolutely punishing. Sorry to say it, but this might be the most disastrous 1941 I've ever seen in an AAR for the Axis. I'm playing Soviets in a current game around the same time and the Germans are at Rostov, near Voronezh, and at the gates of Moscow and I feel as though I'm comfortably in control. This might be the game where the Russians take Berlin in '43.....

Looking forward to seeing what comes next......

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 70
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/29/2019 10:50:45 AM   
TheLysander

With so many panzers committed in so many different places as well as surrounded. Im seeing a total collapse of the far south sector that is currently being guarded by the Rumanians incoming with hope of relief by said occupied panzers. Im curious how the axis will do in the blizzard however and how the soviets with such a vast amount of resources manages the offensive.

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 71
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/29/2019 4:50:56 PM   
Seminole

I've written up the AAR for the next few turns, but I'm awaiting turn 29 from my opponent before posting anymore as I get into Blizzard offensive prep and plans next.

STAVKA is pleased with the results of the offensive in general, but a few more weeks are required to pass judgement on the specific plans.

If my opponent opts to avoid the Bitter End and start our reverse game I'm open to that, but I do hope I get to conclude the Blizzard offensive.

(in reply to TheLysander)
Post #: 72
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/1/2019 12:30:06 AM   
teun557

It isn't pretty...

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 73
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/5/2019 1:46:25 PM   
Seminole

Turn 19

Overall map at the beginning of the turn:

OoB before any attacks are launched:

Gomel Pocket:

Gomel Pocket Battle:

Surrender:
* LAH SS Mot Div
* 17th Pzr Div
* 31st Inf Div

Southeast of lake Ilmen cavalry formations gather to train for a new TOE.

Meanwhile, on the Black Sea cavalry likewise gather to prepare for new command structures under the auspices of the Southern Front.

Overall map at the end of turn:

(in reply to teun557)
Post #: 74
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/5/2019 3:34:15 PM   
xhoel

Congrats on getting those divisions! You are doing very well and from what I can see you will have a lot of fun during the blizzard. Have you set specific objectives for your Fronts? Looking forward to future updates.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 75
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/5/2019 5:28:36 PM   
Seminole

Two major offensives planned.
Goal is the elimination of AGN and AGS.
The efforts in the south have gone well, the efforts in the north are still underway. Forgot a rule and messed myself up, but still hoping to salvage something from the situation.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 76
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/5/2019 5:30:43 PM   
Seminole

Turn 20

Forecast for mud across the front next week.
This week snow across much of the front allows for some combat operations.

Snow allows AGN to push and isolate Leningrad from land supply.

Blessing in disguise, as the Germans will want to maintain this isolation leverage. I have sufficient forces inside the Leningrad siege to rotate and refit through the port. We go ahead and relocate some Guards Rifle Divisions (not pictured here) to hold the approach to the ports supporting Leningrad.

Freshly minted 1st Guards Tank Div (morale 33) will be relocated to Moscow MD refit.

AGC has two panzer divisions (2nd and 5th) trying to help break the pocket. All out attacks in the snow force the final surrender of forces in the Gomel Pocket.
Red October marks the German high tide across the front.

Surrender:
24th Pzr Korps
1/59th SP Flak Company
3rd Pzr Div
4th Pzr Div
18th Pzr Div
29th Mot Div
34th Inf Div
267th Inf Div

German captured now number over 83k

On the lower Dnepr the Germans have withdrawn to their bridgehead. STAKVA orders infantry forward to make contact with and harass the Germans to conduct raids, reduce their supplies and raise their fatigue.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 77
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/5/2019 8:35:29 PM   
Seminole

Turn 21

Didn't grab an overall strategic shot at the beginning of the turn, but nothing changes as it is rain across the front.

Axis bomb the port feeding Leningrad, but Red Air Force gives better than it takes.

Air Force sent to National Reserve for a massive upgrade and reorganization before being sent back to the front for the blizzard offensive.

OoB this turn:

New Fronts come online.
Cauc. Front will cover southern Dnepr.
T Cauc. Front will cover Donbass.
Southern Front is split on either side of these new Fronts and will be responsible for conducting the blizzard offensive breakthroughs against AGS.

Experienced victors of the Gomel Pocket relocate to the southern sector to help create the breakthroughs and hold the shoulders of the planned cavalry plunges. 16th and 19th Army HQs will follow.
Guards will be railed to take Cherkassy in the south and Pskov in the north.

Volkhov Front (Timoshenko) will take the breakthrough elements and the new Shock Army HQs to support Zhukov's efforts against AGN when they arrive.

Ural Reserves need to be brought forward starting next week. Will fill in push conducted by Kalinin, Western, Bryansk and Southwest Fronts to keep up pressure and not allow Germans to focus on Soviet spearheads.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 78
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/5/2019 8:38:28 PM   
Fetterkrolle

What turn are you currently on?

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 79
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/5/2019 9:03:45 PM   
Seminole

Turn 32, mid January

(in reply to Fetterkrolle)
Post #: 80
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 1:07:40 AM   
Seminole

Turn 22

Germans knock on the front and back door trying to get into Leningrad.

Upgrade obselete fighter bombers to a distribution of fighters and fighter bombers that more closely match production capacity.
All bomber trained FBs were transferred to IL-2s
Will emplace air force for Leningrad and make plans for Southern AC allocation to support blizzard offensive.
Want to split 10 IL-2 regiments per breakthrough axis.
Need to decide how bombers and fighters will be split. Planning large concentration of fighters on Leningrad this turn to help provide air cover to port and deter Axis air support for Leningrad assaults.

OoB:

Ground Losses:

Leningrad defenses:

Blizzard offensive formations gathering by lake Ilmen. Zhukov's Northwest Front will push toward Pskov while also aiming to cut the rail link feeding the Leningrad Salient at the closest distance to the front line:

South of Cherkassy on the Dnepr is where the Southern Front concentrates cavalry that will form the northern pincer cavalry corps:

At the lowest reaches of the Dnepr STAVKA gathers the last cavalry divisions for reorganization. They'll report to Coastal and 9th Army under Southern Front to pursue an axis between Nikolaev and Krivoi Rog:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 81
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 1:11:46 AM   
Seminole

Turn 23

Overall strategic map at beginning of turn:

Ground losses are light as the fighting is almost non-existent.

The Volkhov Front comes into being, but is named to cause confusion among the German intelligence efforts. Marshal Timoshenko is given the honor of leading this cavalry heavy force.

Production pools show that manpower is starting to pile up behind the armaments shortage.

Germans knock on the front and back door at Leningrad. Also an effort toward Novogorad is rebuffed.

Overall strategic map at end of the week:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 82
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 6:43:02 AM   
Seminole

Can't upload turn 32

Kind of aggravating. I do have it saved at some point halfway through the turn.
Hoping I can try to submit later without the client crashing.
Anyone else seen this error resolve without a problem?
Definitely don't want to replay the turn if this is recoverable.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 83
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 9:12:23 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

Anyone else seen this error resolve without a problem?

Lots!

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 84
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 11:32:27 AM   
Seminole

Well, not me.
As of this morning the program has crashed. The window is just black.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 85
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 11:39:03 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

Attempt to save by shift s. It works for me even if tge screen is black.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 86
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 3:03:28 PM   
Crackaces

You have a couple of battles there with -36% penalties and the odds ratio was fairly close.This warrants a closer look at command and control .. after you figure out the uploading problem ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 87
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 3:16:05 PM   
Seminole

One of the cores was pegged with the .exe and the fan was running like a banshee so I killed it from task manager before I saw your message.

I have my end of turn screenshots, so I should be able to piece back my remaining moves.
Will definitely wait until I hear the server is back online before giving it a try.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 88
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/7/2019 5:39:42 PM   
Seminole

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

You have a couple of battles there with -36% penalties and the odds ratio was fairly close.This warrants a closer look at command and control .. after you figure out the uploading problem ..

That Teun's Germans, although I'm probably guilty of spending too much AP on C3, every little bit helps, especially early on for the Soviets.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 89
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/11/2019 3:20:04 AM   
Seminole

Turn 24

Eve of the Blizzard Offensive

Overall Strategic Map at the beginning of the turn:

Ground Losses in very light fighting:

Air losses:

Still the Germans knock at Leningrad and try to gain a little more space in the Leningrad salient.

The VP situation at the German high tide:

Along the front lines the Germans are turtling up and digging in. They did not spend the snow months trying to create anymore advantages, but instead leaned on their shovels.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI