Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/23/2019 12:05:36 AM   
Seminole

quote:

The encirclements have been very badly done in this game and there is a lot of room for improvement.

I thought the advance north of the Pripyat was well conducted on turn 1 save the smallest of gaps I exploited on the edge of the swamps. If he had not struggled to dislodge one last unit, but had contented himself with the pocket it would have held and on turn 2 he could have liquidated much of it.

I'll have to look back at the south again, as that was leaky.

In my own overview of Teun's play I'd say the biggest 'mistake' from my perspective was the commitment of mech in spots and terrain that benefited the defender. Too much blasting with the cannon and not enough trying to find a weakness, create a gap, and run through it.

I'm a noob with the Germans in this campaign, especially the current supply rules. He'll have the same blizzard and +1 rules, i just hope to keep my head out of the noose.
I have a broad theme for my German strategy, but the particular flow is going to largely depend on how he decides to fight it.
I'll see if I can practice what I preach on that side. I've German success in WitW, so I'm optimistic.
The part of the game I almost ignore is the air war. An elite player would eat my lunch because I don't understand what most of the settings truly affect. I did really get in the groove with the WitW air war model.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 121
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/24/2019 9:35:05 AM   
chaos45

Full blizzard and +1 for soviets is extremely nasty even with a weak soviet army. Its why you don't see many games allow both usually just one or the other is counted as fair balance.

Interested to see how the game plays with the new patch though as a lot of changes incoming.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 122
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/29/2019 4:44:11 PM   
teun557

I definitely learned some harsh lessons this game, it was my first MP game and only my second actual play through of the game so I wasn't expecting a victory, although I also did not expect to have my ass handed to me this harshly. The disastrous opening left me flustered on how to continue. After the loss of Guderians panzer group in the mud I also became extremely cautious not wanting to repeat the mistake. My plan was to stick it out through the blizzard and fight him on a strong line of forts, then come 1942 take Leningrad before retreating back to the dnepr line. Turns out I had left the Sovjet army in to strong a state to withstand their offensive.

The return game as the sovjets will hopefully go better.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 123
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/29/2019 4:48:52 PM   
Telemecus

Good lessons learnt - and even more so for sticking with it. I am looking forward to the return match and salute you teun557!

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to teun557)
Post #: 124
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/29/2019 5:03:11 PM   
John B.

Teun, good job for a first go through! And congrats on sticking it out as long as you did!!

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 125
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/29/2019 5:39:33 PM   
MattFL

quote:

ORIGINAL: teun557

I definitely learned some harsh lessons this game, it was my first MP game and only my second actual play through of the game so I wasn't expecting a victory, although I also did not expect to have my ass handed to me this harshly. The disastrous opening left me flustered on how to continue. After the loss of Guderians panzer group in the mud I also became extremely cautious not wanting to repeat the mistake. My plan was to stick it out through the blizzard and fight him on a strong line of forts, then come 1942 take Leningrad before retreating back to the dnepr line. Turns out I had left the Sovjet army in to strong a state to withstand their offensive.

The return game as the sovjets will hopefully go better.

Well given it was only your second actual play through, the result isn't unexpected. World of difference between AI play and play against and experienced opponent.

As for playing Soviets, it's a completely different game than playing Axis. Here is some basic guidance for you....

1. Your top priority has to be to avoid encirclements and don't fight until you're ready to fight. You can give up ground, you can't bring men back to life. For the Germans to win they have to kill Soviets. Don't let him. Avoid using a linear defense, particularly early in the game. Until you have enough strength, the key is to make the Germans burn movement.

2. You have to play the game a few turns in advance and have fort lines ready to go before he gets there.

3. Don't engage in a stand up fight until you're ready. Places like the landbridge by Smolensk are deathtraps against competent German play.

4. Put your best commanders in command of armies defending key areas. Don't waste them at Front level.

5. Be sure to properly use reserve activation. It makes a world of difference. It lowers digging I think, so it's a balancing act.

6. Don't overbuild support units early in the game. You don't need them, you have plenty to start with. Don't go crazy putting a good commander in charge of every army. Replace them for the armies that will be fighting. You'll never have enough admin to do all you want to do.

7. Concentrate your air force where you will fight. Use your airforce, that's what it's there for and don't worry about the horrific losses you'll take. Starting Turn 8 you can build 8 new air groups every turn. Build them.

8. Be sure to evac the factories that need to be evac'ed.

9. Use the rails, it's the soviets best friend and you can shift massive combat power quickly and easily on the rails as necessary. You don't fatigue your men moving them this way.

10. RUN.

11. RUN.

12. See 10 and 11.

Good luck!

< Message edited by MattFL -- 8/29/2019 5:42:58 PM >

(in reply to teun557)
Post #: 126
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 7/29/2020 8:02:17 PM   
Seminole

Never posted the final screenshot.

We made it to turn 33 before pulling the plug. I've highlighted the area liberated during the blizzard offensive.
I don't know where my other screenies ended up, but Zhukov had blown open the German lines between AGN and AGC, and was about to bag the northern forces.
In the south the German line was continuing to disintegrate.

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 127
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI