Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 7/4/2003 8:13:03 AM   
Legbreaker

Another all time great war movies would have to be Sahara with Humphrey Bogart - This film was made in the first year that the US was involved in the war and while it does lean toward propaganda, it is still a great story. Make a pretty good SP scenario I think.

If it moves - shoot it
If it doesn't move - push it
If it still doesn't move - use explosives

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 61
- 7/4/2003 8:37:22 AM   
Maliki

I think theres been several versions made,but i would like to add Beau Geste to the favorites listThe one i'm thinking about was probably made in the thirties.

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

Post #: 62
- 7/4/2003 7:51:10 PM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Packham
[B]Riverdave, I like your signature. Hope you dont mind if I borrow it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Take whatever you need...........:)

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 63
- 7/4/2003 11:01:29 PM   
MarkFroio

The worst is "The Thin Red Line." How long can you look at grass blowing in the wind? John Travolta? Give me a break. I really think I hate this movie because the book was so good and the movie was so terrible.

My favorites in no particular order:

The Longest Day
Band of Brothers
Cross of Iron
All Quiet on the Western Front
Full Metal Jacket
Paths of Glory
Kelly's Heros

Post #: 64
- 7/4/2003 11:14:09 PM   
tmac

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legbreaker
[B]Another all time great war movies would have to be Sahara with Humphrey Bogart - This film was made in the first year that the US was involved in the war and while it does lean toward propaganda, it is still a great story. Make a pretty good SP scenario I think. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, this is a great movie...love the Grant in it.

Post #: 65
- 7/4/2003 11:25:08 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Recently been replacing a lot of my vhs with dvd.

One of the latest being The Bridge at Remagen.

I must say, for a film made in 1969, it can completely outdo some of the supposedly good films of recent years.

Not sure if the unit using Chaffees was correct, but hmm the Chaffee was at least a tank that was currently in usage. And the German halftracks looked fairly genuine. Or at least the running gear looked correct, and running gear seems to be the first place that gives away phoneys.

I enjoyed watching it yet again. I will enjoy watching it another time too of course.

But ya know, if you gave me a copy of Pearl Harbour or Thin Red Line on dvd, I would give it away if I could not make even a buck off the sale. And I would not even bother to watch them once before ditching them.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 66
- 7/4/2003 11:44:18 PM   
Jim1954

Cross of Iron, Von Ryan's Express, Run Silent , Run Deep are probably the ones I liked best.

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 67
- 7/5/2003 12:07:46 AM   
dwesolick

I have to second the motion of THIN RED LINE being a generally crummy movie. I saw it not long after reading the book and it pales in comparison. I remember being especially disappointed (I saw it in the theater) when there was no air attack while the troops were disembarking at the Canal...as in the book. It could have been a spectacular scene, with all the CGI available today. It also seemed to be more of a movie about Vietnam than WWII (in its general theme).

By the way, I have a copy of the Panzerlied (MP3). Can anyone tell me how to post it to the forum...or whether it's possible?

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

Post #: 68
- 7/5/2003 7:23:01 AM   
Raverdave

Well now....I never read the book "The Thin Red Line" and I found the movie to be OK. Sure the first 15 minutes were somewhat mind numbing but the rest of the movie was ok.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 69
- 7/5/2003 11:50:43 AM   
Ian Packham

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raverdave
[B]Well now....I never read the book "The Thin Red Line" and I found the movie to be OK. Sure the first 15 minutes were somewhat mind numbing but the rest of the movie was ok. [/B][/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you. Its not a great movie - and its anti-war stance becomes a bit grating after a while, those bits you can understand. But the fight sequences were fair enough, not the usual Hollywood nonsense. My big raspberry goes to Pearl Harbor for the same reasons you guys have already stated.

Now let me drum up a little controversy. Why did the film need to show the Doolittle bombing raid on Japan?

I know from the Hollywood point of view, they wanted a "happy" ending where the USA gets its own back on Japan. Was this really necessary, we all already know what the outcome of WWII was. The film came across as excessively patriotic.

The other thing about the Doolittle raid was, and please correct me here if I am wrong, many of the bombs missed their intended military targets and killed civilians instead.

That's the view of a few vociferous idiots here whose politics are to the right of Ghengis Khan and defend their hatred of foreigners and minorities with the idea that they are practicing patriotism rather than bigotry.

Post #: 70
- 7/5/2003 5:28:58 PM   
Mad Cow

favorites (in no order):

Gettysburg
Glory
The first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan
Blackhawk Down
Band of Brothers
Apocalypse Now (my dad was in Vietnam and he said that this one was the most realistic)
Full Metal Jacket
The Deer Hunter
(edit) forgot Stalag 17

worst:
The rest of Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart (I actually like the movie as a whole, but they run all over history and the battle scenes are certainly no-where near authentic)
Enemy at the Gates
(edit) Hart's War
The Patriot
Pearl Harbor really sucked

-----
Also, they ar not really war movies, but Schindler's List and Casablanca are my two favorite films of all time, but they both draw heavily on the war to drive their plots.

Post #: 71
- 7/5/2003 5:39:49 PM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raverdave
[B]Well now....I never read the book "The Thin Red Line" and I found the movie to be OK. Sure the first 15 minutes were somewhat mind numbing but the rest of the movie was ok. [/B][/QUOTE]

one of the best movies ever made with a war theme!

some ppl. simply do not understand, that it is not
a typical war movie at all. the war is only a kind of "scenario"
to show much more deeper stuff as the usual war movie.

also sound (!!) und most filming work was great !

also most actors were good ( n.nolte, s. penn etc... )

not as good as apocalypse now , the longest day or das boot but still much better than newer films as ryan ( exc. the first 15 - 20 min ) , windtalkers or we were soldiers for example...

yesterday i rent the tigerland dvd. not very good, too sadly...

Post #: 72
- 7/5/2003 5:43:50 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

As far as I know, and my knowledge of the Doolittle raid is not extensive, the B-25s launched from carriers with lightened loads.

They bombed targets within cities made ultimately of entirely burnable construction. This was done early in the war long before the US had their act together where bombing was concerned. And I highly doubt the raid was intended to be more than a morale based action.

As for intended targets, hmmm, a light loaded B-25 flying over Tokyo is more a show of defiance, than a particularly accurate or efficient means of strategic bombing.
I think they would have picked military targets, but hmm do you reeeeeeally think the US forces of the time had the slightest concern that some "innocent" casualties might ensue?

For those wishing to further examine history from a proper perspective, you might wish to locate the Why We Fight series done by Frank Capra specifically for the US public during the war. I just recently picked it up (it's sold as 2 separate dvd purchases and is a 7 volume set) to replace my vhs set.

In WW2 we didn't have CNN, peace protesters acting as human shields and all the current assortment of hand wringing over killing some civilians that just happened to be in a country that was at war. Not to say no one cared at all, but no one was crying over civilian dead during the Doolittle Raid.

Post #: 73
- 7/5/2003 8:39:53 PM   
dwesolick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ian Packham
[B]

The other thing about the Doolittle raid was, and please correct me here if I am wrong, many of the bombs missed their intended military targets and killed civilians instead. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't believe the bombing accomplished much in the way of civilian or military damage. As pointed out, it was designed mainly as a (sorely needed) morale booster and a way to hit back (however lightly) at Japan. The real civilian casualties start piling up in ETO from Hamburg on, then of course the firebombing of Japanese cities in 45.

I also don't think the Japanese (to say nothing of the Germans!)had a great concern for civilian lives; they preferred to kill their civilians up close and personal, at the point of a bayonet: Nanking (37), Manila (44), etc...

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

Post #: 74
- 7/5/2003 10:06:44 PM   
jnier

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Max VonLoben
[B]The worst is "The Thin Red Line." How long can you look at grass blowing in the wind? John Travolta? Give me a break. I really think I hate this movie because the book was so good and the movie was so terrible.[/B][/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more. Thin Red Line is one of my all-time favorite movies. A thoughtful move. I read the book also (after I saw the movie) and didn't think too much of the book.

Post #: 75
- 7/5/2003 10:10:03 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well the world would suck if everyone liked what I liked hehe.

I hated TRL, but can accept others might like it.

When I consider what I have encountered that others like and I don't, people are in some cases just plain different is all.

Post #: 76
- 7/5/2003 10:47:01 PM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jnier
[B]Couldn't disagree more. Thin Red Line is one of my all-time favorite movies. A thoughtful move. I read the book also (after I saw the movie) and didn't think too much of the book. [/B][/QUOTE]

mhh... is the book recommended ?

who is the author ?

Post #: 77
- 7/5/2003 11:34:00 PM   
MarkFroio

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank W.
[B]mhh... is the book recommended ?

who is the author ? [/B][/QUOTE]

I really liked the book. It was written by James Jones. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385324081/qid=1057421167/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-0688242-3204715

I understand the point the movie is trying to make. Maybe if I had seen the movie first and then read the book, I would think differently. The book is pretty much anti-war also. I just liked the way Jones gets his point across.

For example, in the book, I think the natives of Guadalcanal are mentioned once or twice, if at all. In the movie, they have a large role. Now I understand the symbolism that Malick used with the natives in the movie, but this wasn't a theme that Jones focused on in the book. Jones wrote about the horrors of war, and as you read his book, I think you can feel what he's writing about. I know Malick was trying to show us the horrors of war also. It's just that I feel Jones did a much better job with the book. I believe that Malick made his own movie with his own vision, and it had very little to do with Jones' classic book.

Post #: 78
- 7/6/2003 12:10:03 AM   
Frank W.

thx.

i think the natives scenes were a bit too much this is true.

despite that i like the film.

Post #: 79
- 7/6/2003 12:28:09 AM   
Kevinugly

Worst war film ever has to be 'Raid on Rommel'. Apart from a dreadful script and lousy acting it's also cheap - leftover footage from 'Tobruk' (long shots of George Peppard & Co.) with Richard Burton in the new close-ups.

My fave would be 'Zulu' - I just find it utterly inspiring!

Post #: 80
- 7/6/2003 1:31:56 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

A bad movie about a great subject and with a great star, 'MacArthur' with Gregory Peck in the title role, funded by the 'reverend' Moon. Maybe that's why it was so bad. :p

Eric Maietta

Post #: 81
- 7/6/2003 1:35:13 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Moon made that? now that is truely weird sounding.

Post #: 82
- 7/7/2003 12:56:38 PM   
Ian Packham

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]As far as I know, and my knowledge of the Doolittle raid is not extensive, the B-25s launched from carriers with lightened loads.

They bombed targets within cities made ultimately of entirely burnable construction. This was done early in the war long before the US had their act together where bombing was concerned. And I highly doubt the raid was intended to be more than a morale based action.

As for intended targets, hmmm, a light loaded B-25 flying over Tokyo is more a show of defiance, than a particularly accurate or efficient means of strategic bombing.
I think they would have picked military targets, but hmm do you reeeeeeally think the US forces of the time had the slightest concern that some "innocent" casualties might ensue?

For those wishing to further examine history from a proper perspective, you might wish to locate the Why We Fight series done by Frank Capra specifically for the US public during the war. I just recently picked it up (it's sold as 2 separate dvd purchases and is a 7 volume set) to replace my vhs set.

In WW2 we didn't have CNN, peace protesters acting as human shields and all the current assortment of hand wringing over killing some civilians that just happened to be in a country that was at war. Not to say no one cared at all, but no one was crying over civilian dead during the Doolittle Raid. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree entirely, my point was more what the heck was it doing in a movie titled Pearl Harbor? And my other point is that in a film made in the 21st century, it would be nice think we can be balanced and at least acknowledge the casualities on the Japanese side.

It was just Hollywood pultz from start to finish.

That's the view of a few vociferous idiots here whose politics are to the right of Ghengis Khan and defend their hatred of foreigners and minorities with the idea that they are practicing patriotism rather than bigotry.

Post #: 83
- 7/7/2003 5:11:45 PM   
Oakfed

There's a couple foreign anti-war war films I'm fond of that I thought deserved to be mentioned...

'The Bridge' is a German film about a band of youths called up late in the war; when their unit is sent to the front, they are dispatched to a 'safe' spot, to 'guard' the eponymous bridge (which has been wired for demolition by an engineer detachment and doesn't really need guarding.). Ends in a nicely-done skirmish with an American patrol.

'The Fires on the Plain' is a Japanese film about Japanese soldiers trapped in the Phillipines by advancing Americans and Phillipino irregulars. It's viewpoint character is a misfit with a wonderfully hangdog visage. It has one of my favorite scenes of all time:

The Japanese are trying to march to a spot where they hope to be picked up by a submarine. A column of ragged soldiers is slogging along a muddy road under a torrential downpour. The camera is focused on a pair of discarded boots at the side of the road. Occasionally one soldier tries out the boots and trades them for his own, and the boots get progressively shabbier, until the last soldier finds little more than scraps...

The tone of the movie becomes more over the top as it goes along, ending in a grotesque set of scenes that are sort of like 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' with food instead of gold. The fires of the title are harvest fires that are reminders of food out-of-reach due to the guerrilas.

Oakfed

Post #: 84
- 7/7/2003 6:33:17 PM   
Raindog101

Best:

The Purple Heart
The Steel Helmet
Pork Chop Hill
Attack!
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Gunga Din
Hamburger Hill
The Wild Geese
The Red Badge of Courage (Audie Murphy ver)
Pride of the Marines
Heaven Knows, Mister Allison
A Guy Named Joe
A Walk in the Sun
Dogs of War
& The Great Escape

I don't care if the tanks or aircraft are jerry-rigged or not. ITS gotta have a story.

If you dont care who dies, then the film has failed. This is the reason that:

Worst:

Blackhawk Down
We Were Soldiers...(GREAAAT Book though)
and most recent special effect extravaganza's.

Post #: 85
- 7/7/2003 6:41:05 PM   
Raindog101

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Max VonLoben
[B]I really liked the book. It was written by James Jones. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385324081/qid=1057421167/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-0688242-3204715

I understand the point the movie is trying to make. Maybe if I had seen the movie first and then read the book, I would think differently. The book is pretty much anti-war also. I just liked the way Jones gets his point across.

For example, in the book, I think the natives of Guadalcanal are mentioned once or twice, if at all. In the movie, they have a large role. Now I understand the symbolism that Malick used with the natives in the movie, but this wasn't a theme that Jones focused on in the book. Jones wrote about the horrors of war, and as you read his book, I think you can feel what he's writing about. I know Malick was trying to show us the horrors of war also. It's just that I feel Jones did a much better job with the book. I believe that Malick made his own movie with his own vision, and it had very little to do with Jones' classic book. [/B][/QUOTE]

"The Thin Red Line" IS one of the best books about jungle combat ever written. James Jones was in the battle of the Canal.

It was part of the the "From Here to Eternity" trilogy.

I'm drawing a blank on the 3rd book of the trilogy, do you know what it is? "Go to the Widowmaker"?

Post #: 86
- 7/7/2003 8:00:26 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I guess part of our appreciation comes from "statements".

I for instance, only listen to music with "positive" lyrics, because if I want to make a "political statement", I will have a gun in my hand, not a microphone. As a result, I have nothing at all nice to say about rap music. I find it all uniformly angry and hostile sounding. Not at all what I want to hear when I am trying to "relax".

War movies are the same I would say. Therefore I will no doubt dislike war movies instantly if they fail in some areas.

I thought TRL was a WW2 movie being used as a tool to promote modern political thinking. As such, I found it ruined whatever message it was trying to give. That, and I usually don't want a political message in my movie in the first place.

I must say, with Saving Private Ryan, what I had to like the most was the Omaha Beach scene in the opening. Yes the rest of the film tended to be a bit less quality than the opener. But I will not forget the way the opener stunned and even horrified the audience.
I don't often get to see idiotic audiences that really DON'T know the true horrors of war, shown what real death dealt out indiscriminantly and violently really looks like.

It was 20- 30 minutes of shocking carnage, which I was able to notice took some time to wear of on the viewers. Good!

I think modern movie viewers have been dished out one to many films with grossly inaccurate hollywoodish "action scenes" that had to little genuine looking death and destruction.

I just watched T3 the other day. Fun film, not at all credible, but I was not really looking for credible, its an "action" movie after all.

Windtalkers for instance, was rubbish. It was a film about Nickolas Cage, oh it also has some indians in it. The action is pure garabage too. The special effects department likely has no idea what 16" naval ordnance looks like going off. Certainly has never seen a grenade go off. And it's interesting how both can look so much like an oil rig fire.

Post #: 87
- 7/7/2003 8:04:43 PM   
brucertx

I'm sure glad Old Eagle101 added "Pork Chop Hill"!! How could I have forgotten??
Bruce

I may live in Texas, but I'm a True Blue Wolverine. Go Blue!

Post #: 88
- 7/7/2003 9:00:54 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Getting away from 20th Century war films, a realy bad movie, the only bad one John Wayne did that I know of, the 1980 release, [I]The Conqueror[/I] with the Duke as Genghis Khan. I'm sorry, but someone in casting blew it with this one. The Duke as Genghis Kahn works about as well as Martin Sheen as Robert E. Lee in [I]Gettysburg[/I]. :rolleyes: :D

Eric Maietta

Post #: 89
- 7/8/2003 1:53:15 AM   
dwesolick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]
Windtalkers for instance, was rubbish. It was a film about Nickolas Cage, oh it also has some indians in it. The action is pure garabage too. The special effects department likely has no idea what 16" naval ordnance looks like going off. Certainly has never seen a grenade go off. And it's interesting how both can look so much like an oil rig fire. [/B][/QUOTE]

I avoid Nicholas Cage movies like the plague. The only one I've seen that I thought was good (great actually) was RAISING ARIZONA. He plays a "doofus" superbly, but as for an action hero............:rolleyes:

I also have to agree that (among many other things) the Pearl Harbor film did not portray the Japanese well. You had no idea WHY they were attacking or what they were all about. TORA, TORA, TORA is still the only movie that has really gotten it right. They portrayed both sides with sympathy and accuracy. Superb.

I also give a thumbs up to the Bridge on the River Kwai (even though the treatment of POWs by Japan was softened up quite a bit for the audience). Gavan Daws ( author: "PRISONERS OF THE JAPANESE) has really told the story of Allied POWs in Japanese hands in a definitive (and unforgettable) way.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI