Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 11/9/2019 7:17:26 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugar

... while Bill and Hubert are caring for their children even years after release.

They should both get the order of the "Hero of the Grand-Strategy-Community mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillianten"!

Thanks Sugar, that put a smile on my face.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 31
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 11/11/2019 4:14:58 PM   
Hubert Cater

Same for me as well Sugar, thank you, much appreciated

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 32
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 11/14/2019 2:33:33 AM   
vonspee

I would like to add my desire for further campaigns within the new game engine for the WW1 era. As mentioned already, The Russian Civil War, Balkan Wars, Ottoman-Italian War would be great additions. I would also like to see a representation of the conflict on colonial fronts. The German East Africa campaign would be a great scenario, as well as the battle of Tsingtao. A strictly naval scenario based on the German Asiatic Squadron's efforts throughout 1914 could allow us to wage cruiser and prize warfare on the Pacific and Indian Oceans - perhaps not within the scope of this build, but maybe you will give WW1 the global treatment one day

Earlier wars would also be an asset. I always enjoyed playing the Franco-Prussian War scenario in the Classic release. If that could be added, perhaps the whole period leading up to German unification could be considered as well: war with Austria and Denmark prior to the final round with France. The American Civil War and Crimea also come to mind.

I would also like to add that Fury Software has really been doing military history a great service through your design and ongoing support of your wargames. These games are a great way to educate people on the history. You guys are doing a bang-up job!

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 33
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 11/18/2019 4:22:04 PM   
shri

+ for Franco-Prussian and Russo-Japanese add ons

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 34
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/25/2020 10:54:34 AM   
PanzerCro

So, is new Strategic Command on the horizont ? :) WW3 would be logical next version :)

(in reply to shri)
Post #: 35
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/27/2020 10:04:04 AM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: PanzerCro

So, is new Strategic Command on the horizont ? :) WW3 would be logical next version :)

They did a "Patton Drives East" DLC for SC2 which I think was basically what you're asking for?

Personally, I'd be happy also to see them breaking some new ground rather than just re-doing the expansions for SC2. Maybe War of the Worlds or something like that? HG Wells's copyright expired at the end of 2016. Or maybe some other alternative history scenarios?

"Strategic Command: War in Asia" is also an option I guess. However, naval warfare would have to be substantially improved if it were to be made the centre of the game. Also, AI in every war game find amphibious operations very hard to implement.

China in the 1930's and 40's is an interesting option. The political aspect of it might be hard to model, though, and the war in China had many aspects that are hard to model. The same goes for the Russian civil war, which I think would be very interesting.

The Balkan wars are also possible, I suppose, and haven't been done before, though the switching of sides between the first and second Balkan Wars makes them difficult to model in a single scenario.

Anything nuclear-age is always going to have the disadvantage of MAD basically ending the game. Strategic Command is not a peace-time game so peace-time scenarios are out of the window as well.

< Message edited by FOARP -- 4/27/2020 12:15:29 PM >

(in reply to PanzerCro)
Post #: 36
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/27/2020 6:43:03 PM   
The Land

Just seeing this thread again - my 1911 scenario includes the setup for the First Balkan War, because of the timeframe. It's very unlikely it would play out the same way in the scenario, but not entirely impossible (you'd need the Anglo-German-Austrian alliance to diplo Serbia onto their side before the Russians do an anti-British deal with the Ottomans to get Serbia, Greece and Bulgaria all on the same side; and of course you'd get great power troops showing up).

I 100% agree a smaller scale scenario for the Balkan Wars would be a great idea...

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 37
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/27/2020 7:42:05 PM   
PanzerCro

I would like to see Strategic Command with both, Balkan Wars and Franco-Prussian war in one game, two diffirent campaigns.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 38
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/28/2020 6:19:00 AM   
Tanaka

American Civil War please!

(in reply to PanzerCro)
Post #: 39
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/28/2020 8:54:48 AM   
BiteNibbleChomp

Not sure that I have anything to offer for the Balkan Wars, but if you have SC2's WWI game then you might be interested in my Civil War and Napoleon mods? Links in my sig :)
Come to think of it, SC2 had a Balkan War scenario. Never managed to win it :(

- BNC

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 40
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/29/2020 9:06:40 PM   
gamer78

UK design and The Commonwealth player base is ok for Balkan Wars? I don't think. They will not have any interest. They won't even know geography maybe in WW1.

Spanish and Russian Civil Wars would be excellent for me with bigger map and more units. American and Napoleonic Wars could be good too.

(in reply to BiteNibbleChomp)
Post #: 41
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/30/2020 8:00:59 AM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78

UK design and The Commonwealth player base is ok for Balkan Wars? I don't think. They will not have any interest. They won't even know geography maybe in WW1.

Err.... Well, I'm going to assume this was said with humorous intent. People in the UK don't know as much about the Balkan wars as they do about WW1, but they don't know zero either, as the UK has a long involvement with the Balkans, including in this period.

It's a niche interest to be sure - but you know, I think it would be a niche interest even in the Balkans? It's not like there's many Serb/Croat/Bosnian/Greek/etc. game dev companies that are producing games covering that period. In fact the only game company I know of that's producing games covering the Serbian front of WW1 is not based in the Balkans as far as I know.

That doesn't mean there isn't a market for it - it just means no-one ever really tried to see if there was much interest in it.

quote:

Spanish and Russian Civil Wars would be excellent for me with bigger map and more units. American and Napoleonic Wars could be good too.

Agreed on all of those.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 42
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/30/2020 1:22:00 PM   
PanzerCro

I still hope for WW3 game...something like People's General in Strategic Command world :)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 43
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/30/2020 3:00:24 PM   
gamer78

Hi FOARP. Not one word of M.Kemal in WW1 and full of Anzac event does seem not to offend The Commonwealth gamers for me. Although he had peaceful messages..
And yes French can do best in American Civil War game. And Americans can do JTS Serbia'14.
Cheers.

(in reply to PanzerCro)
Post #: 44
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/30/2020 3:23:02 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

Hi Gamer78,

Our Classic WWI game package includes a 1912 First Balkan War campaign, which can be found here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/strategic-command-classic-wwi

It also includes a Russian Civil War campaign as well.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 45
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/30/2020 3:35:16 PM   
Hubert Cater

Our Classic WWII package also includes a Spanish Civil War campaign within the Weapons and Warfare subpackage:

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/strategic-command-classic-wwii

Hubert

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 46
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/30/2020 6:09:50 PM   
mdsmall

My first vote would be for a U.S. civil war version of Strategic Command. It has a completely different map from the European theatre and features that are unique to North America, such as a major role for river forts and river boats. The campaign has very different intensity and time-scale depending on the theatre - from a grinding war of attrition in the East, to a war of movement in the West, to a free-wheeling range war in the trans-Mississipi, plus small amphibious invasions around the coast by the U.S. player. Leadership plays a major factor in combat and helps give the South a fighting chance until the North finds better generals. Maintaining the integrity of the railroad grid, or disrupting it, is a critical strategy for both sides. Plus there are great political variables to add to the mix e.g. the election of 1864 in the North, or a possible shift in allegiance in some of the border states. Years ago Victory Games put out a strategic level Civil War board game that demonstrates the potential for this scenario.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 47
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/30/2020 7:44:11 PM   
DonCzirr

The more the merrier I say !

Lots of fun was to be found in the classic WWI Breakthrough and Weapons and Warfare releases.

I would also be in favor of more modular releases - Like Balkans 1, Balkans 2, Civil War, Franco-Prussian etc as DLC.

That would allow for quicker focused releases and more purchasing granularity to deal with the various responses we see above like "I like this period .... but not that period ... please don't focus on such and such and give my era priority".

Seems like other framework software from other publishers like Wars Across the World and Paradox do quite well with that model ....

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 48
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 4/30/2020 9:35:43 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

My first vote would be for a U.S. civil war version of Strategic Command. It has a completely different map from the European theatre and features that are unique to North America, such as a major role for river forts and river boats. The campaign has very different intensity and time-scale depending on the theatre - from a grinding war of attrition in the East, to a war of movement in the West, to a free-wheeling range war in the trans-Mississipi, plus small amphibious invasions around the coast by the U.S. player. Leadership plays a major factor in combat and helps give the South a fighting chance until the North finds better generals. Maintaining the integrity of the railroad grid, or disrupting it, is a critical strategy for both sides. Plus there are great political variables to add to the mix e.g. the election of 1864 in the North, or a possible shift in allegiance in some of the border states. Years ago Victory Games put out a strategic level Civil War board game that demonstrates the potential for this scenario.

Yes yes yes!! So many great economical, technological, political, and military decisions and events to be had!!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 4/30/2020 9:37:45 PM >

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 49
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 5/28/2020 8:40:28 AM   
gamer78

My brother said 'you'll like it..'. He doesn't know much about wargaming or any strategy games. That's when I started in this game in 2012. It was in Battlefront forums. Devs more responsible at the time now it is in pure English forum Matrix games. Hard to put any leader, conflict other than English&American..

Still I like Hubert and Bill designs I'll buy what they do. American Civil War would be indeed good no news about it yet?

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 50
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 5/31/2020 12:35:26 AM   
Arakred

Boer war.
Spainish american war
Boxer rebellion
Phillippine american war
Sino Japanese war

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 51
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 5/31/2020 2:15:17 AM   
Arakred

Any chance you are working on an update to the new WWI game?

The mods look amazing!!!!

(in reply to BiteNibbleChomp)
Post #: 52
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 6/19/2020 8:57:03 AM   
shri

+1 for Franco-Prussian War and Balkan Wars

had it had a world map then Russo-Japanese war.

(in reply to Arakred)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI