Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ratings of (major)nations in this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ratings of (major)nations in this game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ratings of (major)nations in this game? - 7/1/2003 8:38:32 PM   
Frank W.

Another senseless question from me, that was quite shure discussed somewhere,sometime.....( seems i want to get these 1000 posts soon :D )

Which is your fave nation ?

Or better: How do you rate the different nations in the game ?

From my limited experience it goes like this:

tanks:
-------
1. germany ( all the war except 39+40 perhaps )

2. US ( late 44 + 45 )

3. soviets
( from 41 to the end - wonder why i rate the US a little better ?? they have better accuracy and better firing after moving values. also the US 76mm gun is quite good in the game. the later soviet tanks w/ big gun lack ammo..... )

4. british
( okay, they had in the desert mathilda´s and the M3 Lee which is quite good in the game, but most of the newer models suck compared even to the US tank destroyers as M10/18/36. even the english M10 seems to be a little more bad then the US model. only decent model: the firefly, which seems to have probs with firing after moving so better used in overwatch - stationary role)

infantry:
-----------
1. US ( no discussion here, or ? )

2. germany ( esp. beacuse of the better MG´s )

3. brits + russians

arty:
------
1. US ( see above )

all other nations quite the same i would say.....

recon vehicles:

1. brits ( to put up a category where they shine - they have very good AC´s ! )

2. US + germany

3. russians

i wonder though why the brits have not so good morale in a 44 battle? and exp. ratings around 70-72 ?? shouldn´t they be a little better than US forces in the beginning of the france battles?
the US gained exp quite quickly though ,how the good defense in the ardennes proved........
Post #: 1
- 7/1/2003 9:07:27 PM   
Belisarius

Hmm Frank, my list will be quite similar;

**Tanks**

1. Germany
2. Soviet Union
3. US

**Infantry**

1. Germany - this is MY opinion, I know their weaknesses and strenghts
2. US - better infantry overall. MUCH better weapons, except for the MG
3. SO Guards units

**Artillery**

1. US
2. US
3. the rest. US makes everyone else insignificant in comparison

And the Brits do have the best scout/armored cars. US comes in second, mainly because most of their vehicles carry at least a .50 cal. Germany third, SO is left out because they don't HAVE indigenous armored cars except the BA series, and those suck.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 2
- 7/1/2003 10:30:07 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Fav Nation?

Depends entirely on date in question.

Early war depends on specific battle even.
Sure the Germans enjoyed some advantages, but a Pz 3 is still a Pz3, and it never seems to have an easy tme killing a Matilda or KV.

Mid war, hmm might be Germans. Some new gear arrives, and they had experience plus gear was getting tough with Tigers and Panthers.

Late war, hmm toss up, the US gear is still US gear, but the Russian stuff is now getting lethal too.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 3
- 7/2/2003 1:13:18 AM   
ZeroAntipop

I'm personally a fan of German 81mm Mortars, they're rather cheap, and if you position them right, can get some real good results out of them. So I would put them up there on Artillery, although the US artillery is still king.

But very few things stand up to Koenigtigers, heck even normal Tigers.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 4
- 7/2/2003 1:48:30 AM   
Charles2222

I really tire of the "what's your favorite......?" thread we see in so many forums, but this one is different, and mine as you see will have an unexpected twist.

Favorite tanks: 1-GE, 2-USSR, 3-GB, 4-USA

Favorite TD's: 1-GE, 2-USA, 3-USSR, 4-Does GB have any?

Favorite AG's: 1-USSR, 2-tossup between GE and USA

Favorite ground-based AA: 1-JA (triple-20mm OH MY!), 2-USA, 3-GE

Favorite infantry: 1-USA, 2-GE, 3-Finn, 4-JA, 5-USSR

Favorite artillery: 1-Italy (I'm operating mostly off of SPWW2 on this one - just endless variety, though it may not be very good), 2-USSR (love the 122's), 3-GE, 4-USA (I never play them enough to use the advantage, since I'm so used to working off my presets targets anyway [no spotted bombardments for me]).

Favorite HT's: 1-GE There's just endless variety. No others compare.

Favorite AC's: 1-Italy (autoblinda, autoblinda, autoblinda), 2-GB. Don't have good enough memory to recall the one or two minor nations that had some real good ones.

Least favorite aircraft: 1-JA all by itself. The others have enough good aircraft to where they're all pretty much the same in bombard capability (except for tank-busters of course [when it works]).

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 5
- 7/2/2003 7:34:57 AM   
Svennemir

I've always liked the Russians. T-34's are extremely fast, and useful for transporting infantry like tankodesantniki with SMGs. Coupled with a raging artillery barrage, a fast armoured attack which includes infantry units can be really devastating.

It's true that German armour is the most powerful about 1943, but if the map is not much too open the above tactics should be possible.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 6
- 7/2/2003 7:47:20 AM   
Svennemir

Oh yes, I also like the Soviets for the heavy tanks. They have bigger guns than any other nation, and although low on ammo, these are really good at routing infantry. The other nations all use specialized vehicles for this (Sherman 105, StuH, sIG stuff), while the Russians have it all in the IS-2. Heck, even the T-34/85 packs greater punch against infantry than the other medium tanks.

Of course other nations all have their good sides, but having played the Soviets a lot I have adapted to certain tactics.

Of course US has the best arty capabilities because of the delays. Continued barrages can help the other nations, but it's still not nearly as flexible.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 7
- 7/2/2003 7:59:38 AM   
rbrunsman

If I want to win, I'd take the US. For shear fun I'd take the Germans any day because of the variety of equipment they built.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 8
- 7/2/2003 1:19:58 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles_22
[B]Favorite HT's: 1-GE There's just endless variety. No others compare.[/B][/QUOTE]

Agree. Sadly, in SP:WAW, are the german HTs subject to an unnerving rate of breakdowns. More than I've seen with any other army. :mad:

All the variety, plus that the SdKfz.251 is one good looking vehicle. I want one. :cool:

Got StuG?

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 9
- 7/2/2003 9:31:07 PM   
Charles2222

Belisarius: Yes I think there needs to be a movement underfoot by some unscrupulous individual to field an unusually large percentage of those HT that had the 75L48 (I don't think there were any with the 75L70 or the 88L71), just to get those that cry unfair to get bellowing again. "We must make these HT's rare", they will cry (perhaps they already are, if the rarity clause is used?). I guess if one were to overuse the Nashorns the same reaction would pretty much go up.

It's a bit fascinating to try to balance some sense of being able to transport something, and getting a pretty good gun too. I have the feeling that a 75L48 HT may be more efficient than a Nashorn if used the exact same way(shoot and scoot). I know I'd have a heck of an annoying time trying to face them. Fortunately for their opponents they don't carry much ammo. One advanatge they may have over the Nashorn, is that they may still have that shell-passing-through-the-hull syndrome where they can be have more durability.

On a sidenote: A fascinating thing I noticed about SPWW2 yesterday. They rate the early Shermans as only a surviveability of '2'. I'm pretty sure SPWAW isn't that way, nor that they could get away with it. Obviously they took the Ronson affect into serious consideration, agree with it or not.

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 10
- 7/3/2003 3:45:39 AM   
Belisarius

Hehe, Charles. A whole army of SdKfz. 251/22s.... :p OTOH, those have an extremely poor accuracy, which they also suffered from in real life. Not hard to imagine what happens to stability if you bolt a regular Pak40 with carriage and all onto the bed of a personnel carrier. :rolleyes:

I've found that a 251/22 and a SdKfz.222 makes a very good recon pair. One scout with autocannon backed up with a TD gun.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 11
- 7/5/2003 11:17:43 PM   
Irinami

Japanese Infantry Squads = #1.

Nothing beats arms equivalent to the enemy in large squads that don't disperse until the last 3 men IF the enemy's lucky.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 12
- 7/9/2003 1:03:51 AM   
Jim1954

[QUOTE]All the variety, plus that the SdKfz.251 is one good looking vehicle. I want one. [/QUOTE]

Here you go Bel, it's just across the water from you!!

Didn't see a price though. :D

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/ot810/ot810.htm

Love to make a beer run in one.

:cool:

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ratings of (major)nations in this game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI