Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Action This Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> RE: Action This Day Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Action This Day - 12/15/2021 1:08:02 AM   
warshipbuilder

50 Sqn (Skillingthorpe – Hampden I) 15.12.41

BOMBING – DOCKS AND SHIPPING at OSTEND.

Two aircraft were detailed for this operation.
Of these, one turned back owing to starboard engine trouble and, unfortunately, nothing was heard of the other aircraft after take off.

ADDENDUM – Hampden AE380 VN-, crew, Sgt. WJ Young, Sgt. DA Ferguson, Sgt. FA White, and Sgt. EW Armer was hit by 11. & 12./III./Flak Regt. 4 and crashed into the sea off Oostende at 20.39 hours. Sgt. Young is buried in Oostende New Communal Cemetery. His crew has no known grave.
25 aircraft were sent to attack Oostende, this was the only loss.

Base Changes

111 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to North Weald
313 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Hornchurch
603 Sqn (Spitfire VA/B) moved to Dyce
612 Sqn (Whitley V/VII) moved Reykjavik

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to warshipbuilder)
Post #: 751
RE: Action This Day - 12/16/2021 1:27:36 AM   
warshipbuilder

Love the sarcasm.

411 Sqn RCAF (Hornchurch – Spitfire VB) 16.12.41

Six months old today, and to celebrate we lost two more pilots on Air Operations – P/O. S.D. Chamberlain and Sgt. T.D. Holden. Both have been with the Squadron since its formation and were exceptionally good pilots. Unfortunately, an error in navigation on the part of the leader took the section over Calais instead of Dover, when returning from a Convoy Patrol near the French Coast. The section was pounced on by five M.E.109’s and the two pilots concerned ‘bought it’. One was seen to go down in flames after receiving a direct hit, and no particulars are available on the other. No information has been received enabling us to identify the aircraft which was seen to go in. It has been a tough month for this unit. Four pilots killed, at any rate missing, and some five flying accidents. Our motto “Inimicus Inimico” – “Hostile to an enemy” should be more aptly read “Hostile to Ourselves”. It is sincerely hoped that our record will improve considerably and immediately. F/Lt. Boomer is acting Squadron Commander until some person is designated as such.

ADDENDUM – Spitfire VB W3639. P/P. S.D. Chamberlain KIA.
Spitfire VB AD117. Sgt. T.D. Holden KIA. Buried at Pihe les Guines, France.

Base Changes

41 Sqn (Spitfire VA/B) moved to Westhampnett
229 Sqn (Hurricane IIB/C) moved to Gazala

First and Last Operational Missions

3 Sqn RAAF (Madalena) flew its last OM in the Tomahawk II

warshipbuilder

Post #: 752
RE: Action This Day - 12/17/2021 2:14:43 AM   
warshipbuilder

44 Sqn (Waddington – Hampden I) 17.12.41

Thirteen Hamden's from this Squadron, together with seven Hampdens from other stations in No. 5 Group, thirty Wellingtons from No. 1 Group, twenty-five Wellingtons from No. 3 Group, twenty-one Whitleys and four Wellingtons of No. 4 Group were detailed to attack Naval Units (Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, and Prinz Eugen) at Brest. Visibility was very good although it was very dark and cloud varied from five to ten-tenths. The smokescreen was reported in action. Ten of this Squadron’s aircraft attacked this target and dropped the following bombs within the dock area:-
500 lb. S.A.P = 32 bombs.
250 lb. S.A.P. = 16 bombs.
500 lb. G.P. = 8 bombs.
250 lb. G.P. = 4 bombs.

Several bursts were witnessed within the dock area but the majority were unobserved. Enemy fighters were active within this vicinity. Of the remaining three aircraft sent from this Squadron P/O. MacKay in Hampden AD.869 was forced to return to “Base” owing to wireless failure whilst Sgt. Knight in Hampden AE.186 failed to take-off as his aircraft was found to be unserviceable. The third, P/O Kaschula in Hampden AD.868 failed to return and is posted as missing along with the following crew:
Hampden AD.868.R
Pilot: Therald Lionel Kaschula (Rhodesian)
Observer: No. 1054954 Sgt. John George Henderson
W.Op./A.G.: No. 1375168 T/Sgt. Edward Wade
Rear Gunner: No. 778193 T/Sgt. Kenneth E. Hall (Rhodesian)

Regarding this missing aircraft, No. 4 aircraft reported recognition lights and seen at sea and signal W.W.T. (meaning “Maybe forced to land without further signal”) was picked up. The Air Sea Rescue Service was informed and they took immediate action but without result. Subsequent information received from operations throws doubt on the fact that the signal emanated from P/O. Kaschula’s aircraft.

ADDENDUM – Hampden I AD868 KM-R presumed lost in the sea off the French coast. P/O. Kaschula is buried in Camaret-sur-Mer Communal Cemetery. His crew have no known graves.
Of the 121 aircraft sent to Brest, 80 claimed to have bombed the approximate position of the German warships.

Base Changes

53 Sqn (Hudson V) moved to Limavady
306 Sqn (Non-Op) moved to Churchstanton

2 Sqn (Sawbridgeworth) flew its first OM in the Mustang I
59 Sqn (Thorney Island) flew its last OM’s in the Hudson III, V, and VI

< Message edited by warshipbuilder -- 12/17/2021 3:43:33 AM >

warshipbuilder

Post #: 753
RE: Action This Day - 12/18/2021 12:56:00 AM   
warshipbuilder

7 Sqn (Oakington – Stirling I) 18.12.41

W/Cdr. H.R. Graham DSO led the Squadron which in turn led the attack on the two cruisers in dry by Stirlings, Halifaxes, and Manchesters of Bomber Command. W/Cdr. Graham bombed in a dive and saw of his 4 x 2000 AP burst across the twin docks which caused puffs of black smoke. His aircraft was hit by ‘flak’ and E/A but, P/O. G.E. Mitchell his rear shot down an E/A which was seen to crash in a field. S/Ldr. L.W.V. Jennens failed to return. He was shot down and some of the crew was seen to bale out. P/O. G.C. Bayley saw two bursts NE of the docks. One M.E.109 was shot down by his rear gunner Sgt. J.M. Smith and the pilot was seen to bale out. P/O. Bayley landed at Waterbeach. F/Sgt. Taylor did not observe results but one M.E.109 was hit and seen to go down in flames and crash. He landed at Bourn. P/O. G.T. Heard dropped his bombs while diving in the direction of the cruisers. He saw black smoke rising from both docks after bombing. ‘Flak’ blew off the astrodome, badly wounding Sgt. Hayward the Engineer. The Rear Gunner, Sgt. Dernan also received a glancing shot through the shoulder but did not mention the fact at the time and it was not until some time afterwards that he did so. W/O. N.L. Tayler did not see his bursts. His aircraft was extensively damaged by ‘flak’ and E/A. The port inner petrol tanks were pierced, turrets U/S, intercom shot up and one front and both back tyres burst. He landed at Bourn. F/Lt. B. Parnell failed to return. P/O. S.G. Matkin saw yellowish bursts of his bombs and flash from each ship amidships. His aircraft was extensively damaged, hydraulics and undercarriage being rendered U/S and a large portion of the rudder surface was shot away. He crash-landed at Oakington and made an excellent job of it, no one being hurt. One M.E. claimed as destroyed and one damaged. P/O. H.G. Pilling saw one burst on the road NW. end of the dock. He was hit by ‘flak’ in mainplane and fuselage and rear turret and gunsight were rendered U/S.

ADDENDUM – Stirling I W7436 MG-D was shot down by Me 109s and crashed at Plouguerneau 24 km N of Brest. Of the crew S/Ldr. LWV Jennens, Sgt. FK Lister RAAF, Sgt. JC Webb, Sgt. EV Smith and Sgt. FV Davis became Pows. F/Sgt WM Baker RCAF and Sgt. J Towns are buried in Plouguerneau Communal Cemetery.
Stirling I N3689 MG-Y was shot down by Me 109s off the French coast. The crew F/L. B Parnell MiD, Sgt. KR Taylor RNZAF, Sgt. JHM Pulford, P/O NF Durban RCAF, F/Sgt. R Wheatley, Sgt. MA Sullivan GM RAAF and Sgt. TP Wright were not recovered.

47 aircraft attempted a daylight raid on the German warships. Accurate bombing was claimed and black smoke was reported rising from the Gneisenau. 6 aircraft were lost.

Base Changes

14 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Gambut
80 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Gazala 2
84 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Gambut
94 Sqn (Hurricane IIB) moved to Gazala 2
224 Sqn (Hudson V) moved to St. Eval
260 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Gazala 2
451 Sqn RAAF (Hurricane I) moved to Maddalena

10 Sqn (Leeming) flew its first OM in the Halifax II

warshipbuilder

Post #: 754
RE: Action This Day - 12/19/2021 1:00:24 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 19.12.41

Poor visibility continued all day both here at base and at Manston and aircraft were grounded at the latter drome for the second night.

Base Changes

1 Sqn SAAF (Hurricane IIB) moved to Gazala
4 Sqn SAAF (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Gazala 3
112 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to El Adem
208 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Tmimi
238 Sqn (Hurricane IIB/C) moved to Gazala
245 Sqn (Hurricane IIB) moved to Middle Wallop
250 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Gazala 3
263 Sqn (Whirlwind I) moved to Warmwell

warshipbuilder

Post #: 755
RE: Action This Day - 12/20/2021 12:37:22 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF(Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 20.12.41

The Squadron is still fogbound at Manston and visibility is near zero. Pilots have had their small kit sent to them as there seems to be no chance of the mist lifting for a few days.

Base Changes

3 Sqn RAAF (Non-Op) moved to El Adem
21 Sqn SAAF (Maryland II) moved to Bu Amud
113 Sqn (Blenheim IV) left for SEAC
211 Sqn (Non-Op) left for SEAC

73 Sqn Port Said) flew its first OM’s in the Hurricane IIA and B
130 Sqn (Porrenporth) flew its last OM in the Spitfire VA

warshipbuilder

Post #: 756
RE: Action This Day - 12/21/2021 12:54:35 AM   
warshipbuilder

106 Sqn (Coningsby – Hampden I) 21.12.41

Six aircraft were detailed for daylight attacks on N.W. GERMANY. The weather was suitable for such an operation when the aircraft left Base but the clouds dispersed later and five of them returned. Despite a recall signal the sixth aircraft apparently continued and presumably shot down – a German broadcast stated that a British bomber was destroyed by fighters during the afternoon.

Base Changes

4 Sqn SAAF (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Mechili
112 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Msus
237 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Tmimi

603 Sqn Sqn (Dyce) flew its last OM in the Spitfire VA

warshipbuilder

Post #: 757
RE: Action This Day - 12/22/2021 12:46:37 AM   
warshipbuilder

79 Sqn (Fairwood Common – Hurricane IIB) 22.12.41

1 Patrol 2 Aircraft “B” Flight. Special Dusk Sweep over to Southern Irish Coast. S/Ldr. C.D. Smith D.F.C. O.C. 79 Squadron was leading the Blue Section. Blue Two F/O. Milne (Australian) is actually an “A” Flight pilot, but in this case in he flew in Blue Section.
They took off at 16.10 hours and flew towards the S.E. corner of EIRE. Their height was between 500/1000 feet. They turned back towards base at 17.00 hours and when 10 miles East of the SALTEE ISLANDS Blue Two noticed Blue One turn to starboard and dive across Blue Two. Blue Two followed and then saw S/Ldr. Smith attacking one of two Heinkel 115 Floatplanes, which were flying North between 500/600 feet.
There wasn’t any R/T message given by Blue One at any time.
Blue One was firing and being fired at by the rear dorsal gun or guns of the He 115, when he appeared to get under the tail of the enemy aircraft and collide with it. Pieces flew off of Blue One’s aircraft and he dived straight into the sea. Blue Two, whose first engagement this was, then made two attacks alone but failed to affect any success. He thinks perhaps he was out of range. Blue Two fired 2.617 rounds. Both the aircraft were Hurricane IIB’s 12 machine guns. Blue Two landed at Fair wood at 17.50 and did not think Blue One had a chance of being alive. Rescue efforts were at once organized by Operations, boats being sent out, and aircraft, to search the area.

Base Changes

65 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Debden
94 Sqn (Hurricane IIB) moved to Mechili
111 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Debden
403 Sqn RCAF (Spitfire VB) moved to North Weald

6 Sqn (Wadi Halfa) flew its last OM in the Lysander I
350 Sqn (Valley – Spitfire IIA) flew its first OM of the war

warshipbuilder

Post #: 758
RE: Action This Day - 12/23/2021 1:22:32 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 23.12.41

Fair weather today gave the pilots the opportunity of getting in some flying training, the first chance in nearly five days. Formation and cine-gun exercises were extensively carried out. On landing after one of these flights Sgt. Pope’s undercarriage buckled and his aircraft damaged extensively. The pilot did not suffer injury.

Base Changes

129 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Westhampnett
263 Sqn (Whirlwind I) moved to Charmy Down
274 Sqn (Hurricane IIA/B) moved to Msus

10 Sqn RAAF (Mount Batten) flew its last OM in the Sunderland I

warshipbuilder

Post #: 759
RE: Action This Day - 12/24/2021 1:28:43 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 24.12.41

One convoy patrol was the only operational order performed today. The rest of the day was spent in practice and training, camera gun, and formation practice being the exercises performed. Dusk landings were also performed.

Base Changes

1 Sqn SAAF (Hurricane IIB) moved to Derna
4 Sqn SAAF (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Msus
94 Sqn (Hurricane IIB) moved to Msus
234 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Predannack
260 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Msus
310 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Perranporth
451 Sqn RAAF (Hurricane I) moved to Sidi Azeiz

89 Sqn (Abu Sueir – Beaufighter I) flew its first OM of the war
131 Sqn (Atcham) flew its first OM in the Spitfire VB

warshipbuilder

Post #: 760
RE: Action This Day - 12/25/2021 2:00:14 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 25.12.41

Christmas Day, the second one overseas for this Squadron. Flying for the day consisted of local & formation practice. In the mess today at noon all personnel sat down to Christmas dinner. They were waited on by officers which seemed to appeal to them greatly. The dinner was good considering conditions of food rationing. All personnel were in high spirits and the Christmas celebration was prolonged as is only natural.

warshipbuilder

Post #: 761
RE: Action This Day - 12/26/2021 1:24:18 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 26.12.41

No operational flying was done today but practice wing was performed. Other exercise was local & formation flying, formation and cine gun. Sgt. W. Rothern overshot on landing and his aircraft hit the boundary fence at the field’s edge. Aircraft was badly damaged and the pilot was admitted to hospital with facial lacerations and possible fractured nasal bone.

Base Changes

21 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Luqa

3 Sqn RAAF (El Adem) flew its first OM in the Kittyhawk I
79 Sqn (Fairwood Common) flew its last OM in the Hurricane IIB

warshipbuilder

Post #: 762
RE: Action This Day - 12/27/2021 12:40:12 AM   
warshipbuilder

77 Sqn (Leeming – Whitley V) 27.12.41

Twelve crews (P/O. IRVING, SGT. GRACE, W/CDR. BENNETT, P/O. OGIER, F/LT. DEAN, P/O. SCOTT-MARTIN, P/O. WATTS, F/LT. DRURY, P/O. HAVELOCK, S/LDR. PARKIN, SGT. SMITH, D.C., P/O. SANDERSON) were briefed to bomb DUSSELDORF. P/O. IRVING and P/O. SANDERSON did not take off. SGT. GRACE, P/O. SCOTT-MARTIN and P/O. HAVELOCK were reported missing. W/CDR. BENNETT, P/O. OGIER, F/LT. DEAN, P/O. WATTS, S/LDR. PARKIN, and SGT. SMITH, D.C., landed at HONINGTON on return. F/Lt. DRURY landed at MILDENHALL.

ADDENDUM – Whitley V “S” Z9306 (P/O. Havelock) was shot down by Ofw. Paul Gildner (23rd victory) of 5./NJG2 NW of Leeuwarden at 19.57 hours.
Whitley V “K” Z9226 (P/O. Scott-Martin) was shot down by Hptm. Werner Streib (23rd victory) of Stab1./NJG1 near Viersen at 20.45 hours. Note: coned by 1.-3./Res. Flaksheinw Abt. 250 12. & 13./III./Flak Regt. 26 and 11./III./Flak Regt. 611.
Whitley V “B” Z6956 (Sgt. Grace) was shot down by Oblt. Hans Dieter-Frank (6th victory) of Stab1./NJG1 3 km SE of Kessen at 21.25 hours. Note: coned by 1.-3./Res. Flaksheinw Abt. 250 12. /III./Flak Regt. 26.
132 aircraft attacked Dusseldorf, 7 were lost. 96 claimed to have bombed Dusseldorf but the city reports only 32 high explosive bombs and 3 batches of incendiaries. There was only very light damage and no casualties.

Base Changes

3 Sqn RAAF (Kittyhawk I) moved to Msus
39 Sqn (Maryland I/Beaufort I/II) moved to LG.086
60 Sqn R SAAF (Maryland I/II) moved to Tmimi
79 Sqn (Non-Op) moved to Baginton
229 Sqn (Hurricane IIB/C) moved to Msus
350 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Msus

102 Sqn (Dalton) flew its last OM in the Whitley V

warshipbuilder

Post #: 763
RE: Action This Day - 12/28/2021 12:53:40 AM   
warshipbuilder

408 Sqn RCAF (Balderton – Hampden I) 28.12.41

At 10.00 hours Group requested 12 experienced crews for special effort over HULS, the primary target being Synthetic Rubber Plant. The attack was successfully carried out by 10 of the crews, and one aircraft was forced to turn back a short distance from the target, owing to port motor trouble where, at this point, they were forced to jettison their bombs in order to gain height. The bomb load carried by the above-mentioned crews: 2000 H.Cs. 1900 G.Ps., 1000 G.Ps., 500 and 250 G.Ps. The one remaining aircraft Hampden P.1165-B piloted by RCAF/J.5917 Pilot Officer S.B.K. Brackenbury, did not return from this operation and has not been heard of from the time of take-off at 18.55 hours, and subsequently reported as missing.

ADDENDUM – Hampden P1165 EQ-B was shot down by Oblt. Helmut Waltersdorf (14th victory) of 7./NJG1, 2 km W. of Winterswijk at 22.42 hours.

81 aircraft attacked Hüls, good bombing was claimed, and 4 aircraft were lost.

Base Changes

80 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to El Adem

44Sqn (Waddington) flew its last OM in the Hampden I
112 Sqn (Msus) flew its last OM in the Tomahawk IIB

warshipbuilder

Post #: 764
RE: Action This Day - 12/29/2021 1:12:33 AM   
warshipbuilder

485 Sqn RNZAF (Kenley – Spitfire VB) 29.12.41

3 Spitfires from Martlesham 14.00 hrs. on O.Q. Patrol but failed to locate ships and landed Manston 15.15 hrs. P/O. Palmer (NZ) who took off later on same Patrol and located convoy and patrolled same for 3 minutes at 1500/2000 feet without seeing remainder of section at 14.50 hrs. saw Ju.88 flying over Convoy at same height 600 yds. away. He turned to make quarter astern attack. When going into attack he saw 2 a/c above at 5.o'clock and 100 yds. apart. Continued towards Ju.88 and was attacked by 2 Me.109F’s P/O. Palmer turned away from bomber and lost all 3 E/A in cloud, he then was hit in engine and wings by cannon gained a little height. Engine cut out and Pilot baled out at 2000 ft.: he climbed into dingy and was picked up by Motor Launch from Flotilla and landed at Lowestoft.

6 Sqn (Wadi Halfa) flew its last OM in the Gladiator II
131 Sqn (Atcham) flew its last OM in the Spitfire IIA
607 Sqn (Martlesham Heath) flew its last OM in the Hurricane IIB

warshipbuilder

Post #: 765
RE: Action This Day - 12/30/2021 12:57:04 AM   
warshipbuilder

10 Sqn (Leeming – Halifax II) 30.12.41

Four aircraft took off on operations over BREST.
S/L. Thompson returned to Base owing to a glycol leak on the port outer engine.
Informed that S/L. Webster and F/O Hacking had landed safely at ST. EVAL.
The aircraft captained by F/Sgt. Whyte was damaged by Flak over BREST and was forced down in the sea by enemy fighter action, the tail gunner F/L. Roach being killed. Remainder of Crew got into dinghy and was picked up by Air Sea Rescue Launch.

Base Changes

11 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Bu Amud
237 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Berka
238 Sqn (Hurricane IIB/C) moved to Antelat

22 Sqn (St. Eval) flew its last OM’s in the Beaufort I/II and was then sent to SEAC

warshipbuilder

Post #: 766
RE: Action This Day - 12/31/2021 12:56:47 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 31.12.41

Poor visibility continued today with the result no flying was performed.

Base Changes

213 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to LG.90
234 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Ibsley

73 Sqn (Port Said) flew its last OM in the Hurricane I
312 Sqn (Ayr) flew its first OM in the Spitfire VB
457 Sqn RAAF (Andreas) flew its first OM in the Spitfire VB

warshipbuilder

Post #: 767
RE: Action This Day - 1/1/2022 12:35:09 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 1.1.42

STRENGTH: Officers 17 (RCAF); Other Ranks 125 (RCAF); Other Ranks 3 (RAF) Attached – 4 (C.D.C.)
No operational orders were carried out during the day. Two aircraft tests were carried out and training flights consisted of camera gun exercises.

Base Changes

33 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Msus
134 Sqn (Non-Op) moved to Eglington
221 Sqn (Non-Op) left for Egypt
312 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Fairwood Common

45 Sqn (Gambut) flew its last OM in the Blenheim IV
236 Sqn (Carew Cheriton) flew its last OM in the Blenheim IVF

warshipbuilder

Post #: 768
RE: Action This Day - 1/2/2022 12:49:47 AM   
warshipbuilder

78 Sqn (Croft – Whitley V) 2.1.42

10 Aircraft detailed for operations; Target ST. NAZAIRE. 5 Aircraft were later canceled. The remaining 5 took off to attack the primary. 1 aircraft returned to base with engine trouble. 1 aircraft attacked the primary successfully but on return journey crashed into high ground in cloud. Three of the crew were seriously injured, the remaining two members of the crew were slightly injured. 1 aircraft after successfully attacking the primary returned to Exeter owing to bad weather. 1 aircraft returned with engine trouble and landed at Pershore. 1 aircraft could not identify target so jettisoned bombs and landed on return at Exeter owing to bad weather.

ADDENDUM – Whitley V Z6656 while descending through cloud, crashed on high ground 15,000 feet above sea level on Woogill Moor, Nidderdale, 14 miles WNW of Ripon, Yorkshire.
27 aircraft attacked St. Nazaire. Only 8 aircraft bombed the primary. No losses.

Base Changes

12 Sqn SAAF (Maryland II) moved to LG.024
84 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Heliopolis
233 Sqn (Hudson V) m0ved to Thorney Island

69 Sqn (Luqa) flew its first OM in the Beaufighter I
213 Sqn (LG.090) flew its first OM’s in the Hurricane IIA & B

warshipbuilder

Post #: 769
RE: Action This Day - 1/3/2022 1:21:06 AM   
warshipbuilder

99 Sqn (Waterbeach – Wellington IC) 3.1.42

10.00 – Group confirmed we were on First Call.
15.52 – 16.18 – 6 A/C took off to attack the Warships at Brest.
Owing to 10/10 cloud nothing was seen and all bombs were released through the cloud in the target area.
1 A/C T Capt. P/O. Thomas failed to return. As only one a/c was missing from all operations that night, and the coastguard at Portland saw a Wellington go into the sea approx. 300 yds. out, we presumed it to be our T. Despite efforts to save the crew by trawler, there were no survivors, and within a few days, the body of one of the crew was washed ashore and identified as one member of our crew.

ADDENDUM – Wellington R1519 LN-T, crew P/O R.B. Thomas, Sgt. A.J. Copping, Sgt. A.R.W. Smith, F/Sgt. J.W. Colpitts RCAF, Sgt. A.H. Shattock and F/Sgt. B. Froude, crashed in the sea off Portland Bill. No communication was ever received from this a/c apart from a faint signal that it was force landing in the sea. Sgt. Copping is buried in Folkestone New Cemetery, Hawkinge; the rest of the crew were not recovered.

Base Changes

24 Sqn SAAF (Boston III) moved to Qotafiyah III
45 Sqn (Non-Op) moved to Helwan

41 Sqn (Westhampnett) flew its last OM in the Spitfire VA

warshipbuilder

Post #: 770
RE: Action This Day - 1/4/2022 12:25:59 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 4.1.42

No operations were performed today but local flying and camera gun exercises were carried out. Some night flying was also done.

Base Changes

602 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Redhill

warshipbuilder

Post #: 771
RE: Action This Day - 1/5/2022 1:06:00 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 5.1.42

This morning’s flying consisted of local recco, and some low flying. During the afternoon a practice wing was carried out. No operational orders were received for execution.

Base Changes

57 Sqn (Wellington IC) moved to Methwold
214 Sqn (Wellington IC) moved to Honington

warshipbuilder

Post #: 772
RE: Action This Day - 1/6/2022 1:08:35 AM   
warshipbuilder

12 Sqn (Binbrook – Wellington II) 6.1.42

Operations were ordered against Brest and 8 aircraft were detailed. Captains of aircraft engaged were: P/O GARLICK, SGT. O’CONNELL, SGT. VOLLER, P/O BUCHANAN, P/O GOODMAN, SGT. MACLACHLAN, SGT. FULTON, P/O BAIRSTOW. P/O GARLICK’s aircraft went into a steep dive over the target and SGT. BRYANT (2nd Pilot) baled out at Captain’s orders. However, the aircraft responded to controls and returned to this country safely at ASHBOURNE. SGT. BRYANT was reported missing. P/O GOODMAN’s aircraft landed at NEWTON on return. SGT. VOLLER’s aircraft did not return from this operation, and the crew – SGT. VOLLER, SGT. YORKE, SGT. HILL, SGT. YOUNG, SGT. WILD, SGT. DRIVER reported missing. The remaining aircraft returned safely to Base.

ADDENDUM – Wellington II W5514 PH-S (P/O J.M. Garlick) Crash-landed 2348 after colliding with h/t cables and a lorry on approach to the partially finished aerodrome at Ashbourne, Derbyshire, ending up in Moor Close. Crew uninjured. Earlier while taking evasive action over the target, F/S H.D. Bryant RCAF, baled out as ordered. He has no known grave.
Wellington II W5523 (Sgt. P.C. Voller RAAF) Hit by flak and crashed, on fire, into the sea off Brest. The crew was not recovered.
31 aircraft attacked the German warships docked at Brest. Sgt. Voller’s aircraft was the only one lost. No special bombing results were claimed but a bomb which fell alongside the Gneisenau holed the hull and flooded two compartments

Base Changes

48 Sqn (Hudson V) moved to Wick
60 Sqn R SAAF (Maryland I/II) moved to Heliopolis
237 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Tmimi
601 Sqn (Non-OP) moved to Acaster Malbis

warshipbuilder

Post #: 773
RE: Action This Day - 1/7/2022 12:54:11 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF(Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 7.1.42

Local flying and tests were carried out early this morning and later the Squadron was ordered on a Channel Sweep. This operation was carried out without incident. Camera gun exercises were carried out in the afternoon.

warshipbuilder

Post #: 774
RE: Action This Day - 1/8/2022 1:00:32 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 8.1.42

Poor visibility resulted in all flying being canceled. Air Vice-Marshal Leigh-Mallory A.O.C., No. 11 Group, visited the Squadron today and carried out an inspection of the Dispersal.

Base Changes

55 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Bu Amud
221 Sqn (Non-Op) moved to LG.039

35 Sqn (Linton-on-Ouse) flew its first OM in the Halifax II

warshipbuilder

Post #: 775
RE: Action This Day - 1/9/2022 12:24:01 AM   
warshipbuilder

80th Anniversary of the first flight of the Lancaster.

207 Sqn (Bottesford – Manchester I) 9.1.42

Nine aircraft were detailed for operations including one Freshman. One landed at EXETER on return and one at BOSCOMBE DOWN, after bombing the alternative target. Four aircraft bombed the alternative target. Three failed to find any target. One aircraft failed to return to base, Captain – P/O Bayley. The Freshman failed to find his target.

ADDENDUM – Manchester I L7322 EM-Q, crew P/O GR Bayley, Sgt. NM Toohil RAAF, Sgt. AG Harris, Sgt. RV Griffiths, F/Sgt. JE Jones DFM, Sgt. PCH Goldie RAAF, Sgt. WR Seymour RAAF, hit by flak and believed to have crashed in the sea in the vicinity of Crozon, on the northern shores of the Baie de Douarnenez. P/O Bayle, Sgt. Goldie RAAF, and Sgt. Seymour RAAF are buried in Crozon Communal Cemetery. The rest have no known graves.
151 aircraft were sent to attack Brest, this was the only loss.

Base Changes

220 Sqn (Hudson VI) moved to Nutts Corner

107 Sqn (Luqa) flew its last OM in the Blenheim IV and then returned to the UK
112 Sqn (Msus) flew its first OM in the Kittyhawk I
253 Sqn (Hibaldstow) flew its first OM in the Hurricane IIC
504 Sqn (Ballyhalbert) flew its first OM in the Spitfire VB

< Message edited by warshipbuilder -- 1/10/2022 3:49:12 AM >

warshipbuilder

Post #: 776
RE: Action This Day - 1/10/2022 3:48:19 AM   
warshipbuilder

304 Sqn(Lindholme – Wellington IC) 10.1.42

The tasks for four Fresher crews and night-time flying were cancelled, but seven seniors were detailed to attack the railway station at WILHELMSHAVEN. Of these P/O ZAJAC and Sgt. OBIOREK captaining respectively aircraft numbers 423 and 1082, are missing. F/O KWAK bombed EMDEN and Sgt. KOSTURKIEWICZ, F/O ISZKOWSKI, F/O HIRSZ, and F/O SZCZUROWSKI completed their task, but on account of thick fog at base were diverted to another aerodrome.

ADDENDUM – Wellington IC Z1082, crew, Sgt. S Obiorek PAF, Sgt. B Patek PAF, F/O J Kurek PAF, F/Sgt A Kwikcien PAF, Sgt. A Rogowski PAF, Sgt. A Sankowski PAF, was shot down by Lt. Adolf Kaiser(1st victory) of 6./NJGII at Wadden Sea near Terschelling at 22.00 hours. Crew was never recovered.
Wellington IC DV423 crew, P/O J Zajac PAF, Sgt. S Garstka PAF, P/O J Maczynski PAF, Sgt. R Pokryzwa PAF, Sgt. J Strzyewski PAF, F/O TJ Klewicz PAF, was shot down by Oblt. Rudolph Schoenert(11th victory) of 5/NJG2 into the sea 17 km NW Langeooge at 22.15 hours. Note:aircraft subject barrage of heavy Flak from two Langeooge based Marine batteries 5000 m before being shot down in flames by Oblt. Schoenert.
124 aircraft attacked Wilhelmshaven, good bombing was claimed and 5 aircraft were lost. Wilhelmshaven records this as only a small raid with light damage and 6 people injured.

Base Changes

18 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Helwan
86 Sqn (Beaufort I/II) moved to St. Eval

201 Sqn (Castle Archdale) flew its last OM in the Sunderland I

warshipbuilder

Post #: 777
RE: Action This Day - 1/11/2022 1:32:34 AM   
warshipbuilder

266 Sqn (Wittering – Spitfire VB) 11.1.42

Operational Flying – 3 Aircraft on Convoy Patrol. Took off from DOCKING having heard that E/A might be expected. When near Convoy’s position told of E/A approaching then saw a Ju.88 and chased it in line astern. Experienced return fire when at 600 yds range. On closing to 200 yds. P/O. SMALL opened fire in beam attack and continued firing until E/A was lost in cloud. Sgt. LUCAS opened fire as E/A crossed 100 yds in front of him, and also continued firing as E/A went into cloud. P/O. SMALL and Sgt. LUCAS rejoined and tried to call F/Lt. ALLEN WHITE on R/T, but without success. F/Lt. ALLEN WHITE is missing. 3 aircraft searched for two hours, re-fuelled and searched for another 1 ½ hours and two aircraft searched for 1hr.50mins. but no trace of F/Lt. ALLEN WHITE. Air/Sea had also been informed and had searched.

Base Changes

94 Sqn (Hurricane IIB) moved to Antelat

23 Sqn (Ford) flew its first OM in the Boston III
419 Sqn RCAF (Wellington IC) flew its first OM of the war

warshipbuilder

Post #: 778
RE: Action This Day - 1/12/2022 12:52:26 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 12.1.42

The day was spent considerably in practice and training. Air firing, formation practice, local flying, and searchlight co-op, were the exercises performed.

Base Changes

24 Sqn SAAF (Boston III) moved to Kasfareet
70 Sqn (Wellington IC) moved to LG.075
213 Sqn (Hurricane I/IIA/IIB) moved to Idku
214 Sqn (Wellington IC) moved to Stradishall
250 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Antelat
260 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Antelat
272 Sqn (Beaufighter IIF) moved to LG.010
502 Sqn (Whitley V) moved to Docking

123 Sqn (Castletown) flew its first OM in the Spitfire VB

warshipbuilder

Post #: 779
RE: Action This Day - 1/13/2022 1:06:02 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 12.1.42

Four aircraft were ordered on a convoy patrol today but on return trip landed at West Malling due to unfavourable weather and snow. They returned later in the day. Nothing was reported on this patrol. Snow fell thickly during the afternoon and all flying was cancelled.

Base Changes

3 Sqn RAAF (Kittyhawk I) moved to Antelat
33 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Antelat
112 Sqn (Kittyhawk I) moved to Antelat

21 Sqn SAAF (Bu Amud) flew its last OM in the Maryland II
80 Sqn (El Adem) flew its first OM in the Hurricane IIC

warshipbuilder

Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> RE: Action This Day Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI