Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Action This Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> RE: Action This Day Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 [27] 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Action This Day - 1/14/2022 1:30:42 AM   
warshipbuilder

50 Sqn (Skellingthorpe – Hampden I) 14.1.42

BOMBING - HAMBURG
Eleven aircraft were detailed to bomb the BLOHM and VOSS Shipyards at HAMBURG.

Unfortunately, two aircraft failed to return from this operation.

Of the remainder, 6 succeeded in locating and bombing the primary target with very good results. Large fires, enveloping most of the target area, were observed and bomb bursts were seen amongst the shipyards. It was a very dark night but visibility, on the whole, was good. This, no doubt, aided the many searchlights that were in and around HAMBURG.

A total of 6 x 1,900 lb ; 1 x 1,000 lb and 14 x 250 lb bombs were expended on this operation.

ADDENDUM – Hampden I AE420, crew, Sgt. RA Baddeley, Sgt. JM Morley, Sgt. LA Angel and Sgt. DA Cockburn, lost without a trace.
Hampden I AE431, crew, P/O. EV Hore, P/O. LM Jacob, Sgt. GA Gale and Sgt. FC Pettersson, lost without a trace.
NOTE – One of these two aircraft was hit by Flak from 6/M. Abt. 216 (Borkum) and crashed in flames in Dollard at 22.00 hrs.

95 aircraft were sent to Hamburg to attack shipyards and an airframe factory, 4 were lost.
Only 48 aircraft claimed to have bombed Hamburg, which reported Altona station hit and 12 fires – 7 large, with 6 people killed and 22 injured – but no other major incidents.

Base Changes

84 Sqn (Non-Op) left for SEAC
104 Sqn (Wellington II) moved to Kabrit
610 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Hutton Cranswick
452 Sqn RAAF (Spitfire VB) moved to Kenley

First and Last Operational Missions

99 Sqn (Waterbeach) flew its last OM in the Wellington IC, then left for SEAC

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to warshipbuilder)
Post #: 781
RE: Action This Day - 1/15/2022 1:04:56 AM   
warshipbuilder

419 Sqn RCAF (Mildenhall – Wellington IC) 15.1.42

Two aircraft took part in an attack on HAMBURG. Wing Commander J Fulton and his crew returned having successfully accomplished their task. The other crew, Pilot Officer COTTIER, Captain, Sgt. POWELL, Second Pilot, Sgt. COX, Navigator, Sgt. FUCH, W/Op., Pilot Officer LOMAS, W/Op.-A.G., and Sgt. LUCAS, A.G., CRASHED IN THE SEA, on the return journey, the only survivors being Sgt. LUCAS and Sgt. COX, who suffered minor bruises.
ADDENDUM – Wellington IC Z1145 VR-A, was damaged by enemy action and while returning to base both engines failed due to lack of fuel. The Wellington crashed at 0210 off Spurn Head. The two survivors were picked up two hours later and taken to Grimsby Naval Hospital.

96 aircraft attacked Hamburg, 52 of them claimed to have bombed in difficult visibility. 4 aircraft were lost and a further 8 crashed in England. Hamburg reported 36 fires – 3 large, 3 people killed and 25 injured – but no major incidents.

Base Changes

70 Sqn (Wellington IC) moved to LG.104

11 Sqn (Bu Amud) flew its last OM in the Blenheim IV and then left for SEAC
35 Sqn (Linton-on-Ouse) flew its last OM in the Halifax I
57 Sqn (Methwold) flew its last OM in the Wellington IC
75 Sqn (Mildenhall) flew its last OM in the Wellington IC

warshipbuilder

Post #: 782
RE: Action This Day - 1/16/2022 12:50:10 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 16.1.42

The dusk patrol was carried out under adverse weather conditions but without incident.

Base Changes

203 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Berka III
260 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Benina

69 Sqn (Luqa) flew its first OM in the Mosquito PR I

warshipbuilder

Post #: 783
RE: Action This Day - 1/17/2022 2:12:50 AM   
warshipbuilder

405 Sqn RCAF(Pocklington – Wellington II) 17.1.42

55th OPERATIONS. – Bremen

There was unexpectedly thick cloud over the North Sea, persisting over the enemy coast. This led three of our Captains to attack Emden, but only one experienced clear weather. This advantaged was unluckily neutralised by mechanical failure of release of 4,000 pounder. It was eventually released by hand and is believed to have found a good mark in Emden town. Other Captains bombed flak concentrations but reported no definite results. Six A/C dropped NICKELS.

“L” (Z8329), captained by S/Ldr. W.B. Keddy D.F.C., was missing from this operation. A message was sent at 1745, received 1813, “returning base engine trouble”. At 1832 Observer Corps reported a/c, believed to be a Wellington, down in the sea close to the coast at Skipton. The A/C was reported to be on fire.

ASRS left Bridlington at 1840, returned at 2225 with nothing to report. Sea search by a/c led from this Squadron by W/Cdr. R.M. Fenwick-Wilson proved to be fruitless.

But in the morning word was received that two of the crew had been picked up by a British destroyer: F/Lt. D.R.S. Scrivens RAF (Bombing Leader Obs.) and Can R.65168 Sgt. R.L. Turnbull (WOP/AG) of Digby, Nova Scotia. Both were suffering from exposure and frostbite, and Sgt. Turnbull had a broken nose. These extracts from a letter to W/Cdr. Fenwick-Wilson from F/Lt. Scrivens give a personal account of the accident. It was written from Sheppey County Hospital, Kent.

“…my hands have thawed enough to let me write, although my feet are still swollen. We are both covered in cuts and Turnbull had his nose straightened to-day and seems quite good. It will probably be a fortnight before we both can walk again, as we were pretty bad when we were picked up. The destroyer that picked us up was firing at an a/c five minutes later and we’ve got a faint idea it might have been someone looking for us.”

“Well, as to what happened – we crossed the coast and started climbing, and about half an hour later S/L Keddy said, “We’ll turn back, the starboard engine is duff.” We did so and I sent a message to base and thought no more of it. We jettisoned bombs. 10 minutes later the captain told Masse (2nd Pilot) to go back and pump oil as we had no oil pressure and told us to get our chutes ready as the coast was ahead of us, and we were at 2,000 feet. Just then the engine caught fire and I went forward and let the 2nd W/Op out of his turret (Sgt. P.A. Gale RAF) out of his turret he came out and went back, and as I shut the door again I was thrown on the floor and covered with water. After crawling around the bomb hatch for about 10 minutes (it seemed that long) trying to get out someone fell on top of me and rolled off, and I shot straight to the surface (my Mae West was inflated). I should think the nose turret fell off completely or something, as I can’t imagine I went up through the hatch. On reaching the surface the rear of the kite was still floating and I spotted the dinghy with Turnbull clinging to it. I swam over to it and after several unsuccessful attempts, I found I had my chute harness on, so I got it off. Turnbull was already in the dinghy and with his help, I scrambled in. Our hands were so frozen we couldn’t open the rum bottle, the torch didn’t work, one distress signal didn’t work, and the other we let off when we thought we heard a motorboat, but no good – we froze for fourteen hours before we were picked up. They were very good on the ship and we enjoyed it. We saw no sign of the others after reaching the dingy.” (A copy of this letter is being forwarded with the Diaries to H.Q. R.C.A.F.)

The members of the missing crew are:
S/Ldr. W.B. Keddy D.F.C (Can. 39535) of Cornwall, Ont., Can R56128 Sgt. G.J. Masse (2nd Pilot) of Central Falls, Rhode Island, U.S.A.; 1166976 Sgt. P.A. Gale R.A.F. (2nd W/OP AG), 568534 F/Sgt. G.F. GurrR.A.F.

S/Ldr. Keddy was the very able leader of “B” Flight, 405 Squadron, and was popular throughout the Squadron. He was posted to command “B” Flight on 30th May 1941, and on 8th August 1941 became the first officer to win the Distinguished Flying Cross with 405 Squadron. His loss to the Squadron and the R.C.A.F. in these critical days is severe, and regretted by all.

ADDENDUM – Wellington II Z8339 LQ-L. Of those who died three, Sgt. Masse, Sgt. Gale, and Sgt Gurr. Were never recovered. S/Ldr. Keddy was recovered and taken to Hull for cremation.

As for the attack on Bremen, 83 aircraft; only 8 claimed to have bombed the primary target. Some of the aircraft attacking alternative targets reached Hamburg, which reports 11 fires and casualties of 5 dead and 12 injured. 3 Wellingtons were lost and 1 Stirling crashed in England after being fired at and damaged by a British Convoy.
Hmmm, do you think it might have been that destroyer?

Base Changes
59 Sqn (Hudson III/V/VI) moved to North Coates
152 Sqn (Spitfire IIA) moved to Eglington

30 Sqn (LG.05) flew its last OM in the Hurricane I
39 Sqn (LG.86) flew its last OM in the Maryland I
97 Sqn (Coningsby) flew its last OM’s in the Manchester I & IA

warshipbuilder

Post #: 784
RE: Action This Day - 1/18/2022 12:59:30 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF(Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 18.1.42

One weather test was performed early this a.m. but no other flying was done except for local flying in the Magister by P/O R.T.Hutchinson. Snow started falling around 14.30 hours and continued throughout the afternoon and evening.

56 Sqn (Duxford) flew its last OM in the Hurricane IIA

warshipbuilder

Post #: 785
RE: Action This Day - 1/19/2022 12:56:49 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF(Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 19.1.42

All flying was canceled today owing to poor visibility and low cloud.

Base Changes

238 Sqn (Hurricane IIB/C) moved to El Gubbi

warshipbuilder

Post #: 786
RE: Action This Day - 1/20/2022 1:08:40 AM   
warshipbuilder

49 Sqn (Scampton – Hampden I) 20.1.42

1010 5 aircraft to Bomb Emden docks and 5 to lay mines
1430 Gardeners were cancelled
1700 5 Bombers took off and one was missing from operations, no signals being received. Two aircraft failed to attack any target, owing to icing and failure of heating and two bombers attacked primary target, one seeing bursts, though the bombs appeared to overshoot.

ADDENDUM – Hampden I AT148 EA-S, crew, F/O AM Harvey, Sgt WA Gray, Sgt JW Hallam, Sgt RM Knapman, was shot down by Ofw Paul Gildner (24th victory) 5./NJG2 and crashed 2058 at Roodehaan, 7 km SE of Groningen. All are buried in Noorddijk General Cemetery.

25 aircraft were sent to attack Emden, 4 were lost.

Base Changes

55 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Berka Main

228 Sqn (Pembroke Dock) flew its first OM in the Sunderland II

warshipbuilder

Post #: 787
RE: Action This Day - 1/21/2022 1:07:49 AM   
warshipbuilder

420 Sqn RCAF(Waddington – Hampden I) 21.1.42

A Red-Letter Day. We were o-kayed for operations. Everyone was “as keen as mustard” to start the real job of bombing the enemy. Operations orders were issued, bombing up commenced, guns, cameras, planes, etc. fitted, crews briefed, courses mapped, and then at last in the gathering darkness, the first six aircraft of 420 Squadron (R.C.A.F.) were “off”.

Five aircraft attacked Emden. The sixth carried out gardening operations.

Four of the five aircraft attacking Emden returned safely and reported successful attacks, but it has to be regretfully stated the remaining one of these five failed to return, and is posting as “missing from air operations”. S/Ldr. T.V.D. Wood, the captain of the missing aircraft, and who was O.C. “B” Flight, and his crew consisting of Sgt. Grealy, navigator, Sgt. Semple, 1st Wireless Operator, and Sgt. Bott, gunner, will be sadly missed by the whole Squadron. The sixth aircraft on “gardening” operations returned safely.

ADDENDUM – Hampden I AT130 PT-S, was shot down by flak and crashed in the vicinity of Pietersbierum (Friesland), 6 km NNE of Harlingen, Holland. The crew became PoW’s.
38 aircraft were sent to attack Emden, 4 were lost.

Base Changes

21 Sqn SAAF (Non-Op) moved to LG.098
33 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Msus
112 Sqn (Kittyhawk I) moved to Msus
250 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Msus

80 Sqn (El Adem) flew its last OM in the Hurricane I
420 Sqn RCAF (Waddington – Hampden I) flew its first OM of the war

warshipbuilder

Post #: 788
RE: Action This Day - 1/22/2022 12:58:42 AM   
warshipbuilder

301 Sqn (Hemswell – Wellington IV) 22.1.42

Seven aircraft attacked MÜNSTER and one failed to return to base. The crew Sgt. SOROKO (Capt.), Sgt. NOCON (2nd Pilot), F/O REDA (Observer), Sgt. ROKOS (W/T), and Sgts. KOMOLSKI and BORECKI (Gunners) posted as missing. Operations very successful and a congratulatory message received from A.O.C. No. 1 Group. Remainder of aircraft landed at other ‘dromes.

ADDENDUM – Wellington IV Z1285 GR-S was shot down by a night-fighter off the Lincolnshire coast. Three bodies were later washed ashore and taken for burial at the Polish Plot at Newark.

47 aircraft on the first raid to inland Germany since 27/28 December 1941. Crews reported large fires in the railway-station area but the only report from Münster records the death of 5 people with no other details. Z1285 was the only aircraft lost.

Base Changes

3 Sqn RAAF (Kittyhawk I) moved to Gazala
504 Sqn (Spitfire IIA/IIB/VB) moved to Kirkistown

26 Sqn (Gatwick) flew its last OM in the Tomahawk I
92 Sqn (Digby) flew its last OM in the Spitfire VB

warshipbuilder

Post #: 789
RE: Action This Day - 1/23/2022 12:15:40 AM   
TaggedYa

Hello oo oo oo

Its hollow in here.

Are you the only one left around?

I was hopeing to find out the state of the current patch. Like is the oil war a doable thing or is it still broken?

Any who it is very nice to see you are still here and posting. I grabbed the latest patch and will see if I can get it working. Was kind of wanting to drop some bombs on the evil nazis.

I can't be reached by email, Its long gone. I will have to set up something new. I will, however drop in every few days for a while to check for pms.

TaggedYa

The Vociferously Verbose

Post #: 790
RE: Action This Day - 1/23/2022 12:47:30 AM   
warshipbuilder

Well, well, well, look who fell out of the sky.

How you doing me son?

Oddly enough I was thinking about you last week, you know, whatever happened to......

PM, or email me and I will bring you up to date, but really, I think if you read on the board as to the current state of the patches, you will see things have improved a lot.

warshipbuilder

(in reply to TaggedYa)
Post #: 791
RE: Action This Day - 1/23/2022 12:48:50 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 23.1.42

Flying today consisted of tests, local flying, and cine-gun exercises. Snow started falling around noon and later turned to rain. As a result, all aircraft were grounded for the rest of the day.

Base Changes

30 Sqn (Non-Op) moved to LG.121
94 Sqn (Hurricane IIB) moved to Msus

warshipbuilder

Post #: 792
RE: Action This Day - 1/24/2022 1:09:38 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF(Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 24.1.42

The Squadron spent the entire day in flying. One patrol was ordered and carried out without incident. P/O Blakeslee and the Wing Commander Flying of this station, W/Cdr Tuck were going to carry out a special operation over France but on reaching the coast they were forced to return owing to bad weather. Training flights for the day were varied, air-firing training being stressed the most. Numerous test flights and local flying were performed.

Base Changes

25 Sqn (Beaufighter IF) moved to Ballyhalbert
33 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Mechili
74 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Long Kesh
94 Sqn (Hurricane IIB) moved to Mechili
112 Sqn (Kittyhawk I) moved to Mechili
203 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to El Gubbi
250 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Mechili
312 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Angle
451 Sqn RAAF (hurricane I) moved to Heliopolis
615 Sqn (Hurricane IIB/C) moved to Fairwood Common

warshipbuilder

Post #: 793
RE: Action This Day - 1/25/2022 1:24:51 AM   
warshipbuilder

408 Sqn RCAF(Balderton – Hampden I) 25.1.42

Seven experienced crews were requested. Due to the large amounts of snow and water lying on the aerodrome, the aerodrome was placed unserviceable for operations. It was decided to operate our operational aircraft from RAF North Luffenham and all serviceable aircraft were flown there. Approximately sixty ground crew were detached to N. Luffenham together with 8 experienced aircrew. 7 aircraft took off from N. Luffenham approximately 1730 hours to attack the docks and Battleships at Brest. One aircraft successfully bombed the docks, 4 aircraft were unable to pinpoint themselves due to 9/10th clouds in the target area. One aircraft landed at R.A.F. Chipping Warden with unserviceable compasses. One aircraft piloted Sgt. Victor Charles Dadson crashed after taking off and all crew were killed.

The names of the crew including their operational hours and trips are as follows:

CAN/R7658 Sgt. Dadson, V.C. (Pilot) Killed 7 trips 38.55 hours
982777 Sgt. Marsden, D (Navigator) Killed 4 trips 20.15 hours
99057 Sgt. Wright, A.V. (1st/WOP/AG) Killed 14 trips 50.05 hours
1062332 Sgt. Davies, H. (2nd/WOP/AG) Killed 3 trips 15.35 hours

ADDENDUM – Hampden I AD782 EQ-A crashed after stalling at 1,500 feet. Witnesses say the Hampden dived vertically into the ground.
61 aircraft despatched to Brest, but no bombing results observed.

Base Changes

47 Sqn (Wellesley I) moved to Burgel Arab

83 Sqn (Scampton) flew its last OM in the Hampden I

warshipbuilder

Post #: 794
RE: Action This Day - 1/26/2022 1:07:41 AM   
warshipbuilder

12 Sqn (Binbrook – Wellington II) 26.1.42

Operations were ordered against Hannover and 12 A/C took part. Captains were P/O BARNES, SGT. MCGILLIS, SGT. MCKNIGHT, SGT. FULTON, S/LDR. ABRAHAM, P/O OLENIK, SGT. LAUDER, P/O BUCHANAN, SGT. LOWE, P/O RICHARDSON, P/O MATHER, P/O GOODMAN. SGT. MCKNIGHT’s aircraft crashed on take-off, caught fire, and bombs exploded. Aircraft completely destroyed, and SGT. WALKER, SGT. FLEMING, SGT. GODSO, & SGT. COUPE were killed. SGT. MCKNIGHT received 2nd-degree burns and was admitted to LOUTH infirmary being placed on Dangerously Ill list. SGT. SCHOLES was slightly injured and admitted to Station Sick quarters. S/LDR. ABRAHAM jettisoned bombs and returned early owing to oxygen failure. Remaining aircraft returned safely to Base.

ADDENDUM – Wellington II W5585 PH-D as it was gaining speed part of the bomb load fell out and exploded. Four aircraft in the immediate vicinity were also damaged.
71 aircraft were sent to Hannover, only 32 claimed to have found the target area, though many fires were believed to have been started. No aircraft lost.

Base Changes

1 Sqn SAAF (Hurricane IIB) moved to Gazala III
55 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to El Gubbi

213 Sqn (Idku) flew its first OM in the Hurricane IIC

warshipbuilder

Post #: 795
RE: Action This Day - 1/27/2022 12:51:12 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF(Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 27.1.42

Again today the Squadron carried out a Practice Wing with 72 and 124 Squadrons. No flying was done in the p.m.

Base Changes

14 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Bu Amud
87 Sqn (Hurricane IIC) moved to Charmy Down

238 Sqn (El Gubbi) flew its last OM’s in the Hurricane IIB & C
238 Sqn (El Gubbi) flew its first OM in the Hurricane I(second tour)

< Message edited by warshipbuilder -- 1/27/2022 5:35:09 PM >

warshipbuilder

Post #: 796
RE: Action This Day - 1/28/2022 12:53:53 AM   
warshipbuilder

78 Sqn (Croft – Whitley V) 28.1.42

8 aircraft detailed for operations. Target ROTTERDAM. 6 aircraft successfully attacked the target. 1 aircraft was unable to climb above 10,000 feet and started losing height so bombs were jettisoned and aircraft returned to base. Nothing was heard from remaining A/C until message was received from M/S/G stating that the aircraft had been shot down by a Naval Trawler near Harwich, crew were all killed, 2 bodies recovered.

ADDENDUM – Whitley V Z9305 was hit by AA fire from trawlers off the Essex coast and crashed 1905 into the sea near the Cork Lightship off Harwich. Two bodies were recovered from the waters, but F/S DR Campbell RCAF remains were committed back to the sea.

Base Changes

33 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Gazala
112 Sqn (Kittyhawk I) moved to Gazala
237 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to El Firdan
250 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Gazala
263 Sqn (Whirlwind I) moved to Colerne

83 Sqn (Scampton) flew its first OM in the Manchester I
94 Sqn (Mechili) flew its last OM in the Hurricane IIB
458 Sqn RAAF (Holme-on-Spalding Moor) flew its last OM in the Wellington IV

warshipbuilder

Post #: 797
RE: Action This Day - 1/29/2022 1:24:56 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 29.1.42

No operational flights were performed today and training flights consisted of flight formation and some camera gun exercises. One aircraft test was carried out.

Base Changes

141 Sqn (Beaufighter IF) moved to Acklington
266 Sqn (Non-Op) moved to Duxford

warshipbuilder

Post #: 798
RE: Action This Day - 1/29/2022 3:04:27 AM   
klzlueylx

May i ask what is this AAR about?? it seems high detailed yet since it started from 39 i think it's not EDtBTR? im fully attracted

Victory at all costs.

Post #: 799
RE: Action This Day - 1/29/2022 4:47:41 PM   
warshipbuilder

This is a daily diary of events that happened 80 years ago on "this day". I choose the squadron at random, based on what information I have on hand. I will keep it up until A) I get tired of doing it or B) May 8, 2025.

warshipbuilder

(in reply to klzlueylx)
Post #: 800
RE: Action This Day - 1/29/2022 6:11:31 PM   
mark dolby

Please don't give it up, it's one of the first things I go to each morning.

Post #: 801
RE: Action This Day - 1/30/2022 12:59:29 AM   
warshipbuilder

401 Sqn RCAF (Biggin Hill – Spitfire VB) 29.1.42

The Squadron spent the early part of the morning in training and practice. Later aircraft were ordered to patrol convoy. This lasted until 1415 hours. No incidents were reported.

Base Changes

616 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Kings Cliffe

86 Sqn (St. Eval) flew its last OM in the Beaufort I
502 Sqn (Docking) flew its last OM in the Whitley V

warshipbuilder

(in reply to mark dolby)
Post #: 802
RE: Action This Day - 1/30/2022 1:47:37 AM   
taffjones

Yes Please don't give this up.

It's also one of the things I look forward to each day. Especially where you give info on the Aircrew's lost.

Being Ex Army it strikes a chord with me that people who lost their lives are remembered and brings home to people what a large % of Bomber command were killed or taken as PoW's.

One of the most remarkable people I have ever met (In Combat Stress a British charity for veterans who suffer from PTSD) was shot down over Berlin in 41. His experience as a PoW in a camp next to one for Polish/Russian PoW's until they were liberated by the Russian's after taking part in the infamous death march were eye opening. Especially as they were told by the Russian's that they had a choice of taking part as infantry in the assault on Berlin or being shipped to Russia. That night He and quite a few others escaped from the camp the Russian's had liberated and went on the run until they made it to American lines about 1 month later.

I have the greatest respect for these men and your thread does them justice.

Post #: 803
RE: Action This Day - 1/31/2022 12:42:18 AM   
warshipbuilder

61 Sqn(Woolfox Lodge –Manchester I) 31.1.42

ATTACK ON BATTLECRUISERS AT BREST

1755 The following aircraft took-off on operational flights:-

Manchester aircraft L. 7396 piloted by F/Lt. Page failed to return to base.
“ “ L. 7470 “ “ P/O. Gunther dropped bombs and returned to base.
“ “ L. 7458 “ “ F/O. Archibald “ “ “ “ “ “
“ “ L. 7516 “ “ F/Sgt. Noble returned to base with bomb load.
“ “ L. 7492 “ “ P/O. Searby dropped bombs and returned to base.
“ “ R.5787 “ “ F/O. Parsons failed to return to base.
“ “ L.7521 “ “ F/O. MacNaughton dropped bombs and returned to base.
“ “ L.7477 “ “ P/O. Smith dropped bombs and returned to base.
“ “ L.7472 “ “ F/O. Fraser failed to return to base.

ADDENDUM –Manchester I L7936, crew, F/L. HCS Page, P/O. DL Atkinson, P/O. AG Burt RAAF, Sgt. TA Evans, Sgt. LW Dunn, Sgt. HE Turner, Sgt. RS Jones, S/Ldr. TNC Burrough DFC. Was last heard transmitting distress signals, which were plotted some 50 miles S of Plymouth, Devon. Two RN Destroyers on convoy escort duty in the Channel were detached to make a search of the area, but nothing was found. Later the body of F/L. Page was washed onto the Scillies. The rest of the crew have no known graves. S/Ldr. Burrough, a 5 Group Staff Officer, was flying as an official observer.
Manchester I L7472, crew, F/Lt. DR Fraser, Sgt. GH Marshall, F/Lt. WH Hannigan, F/Sgt. WH Shorrock RCAF, Sgt. AW Hadley, Sgt. BH Mullen, Sgt. SJ MacLean RCAF, F/Sgt. TW Walsh. Coned by searchlights and soon afterward hit by flak and set on fire. Moments later, the Manchester clipped a balloon cable, after which part of the crew baled out S of Brest. Sgt. MacLean RCAF became trapped in the escape hatch and despite strenuous efforts by F/Lt. Fraser to pull him free, he drowned as the bomber sank. Sgt. Marshall also died and the rest became PoW’s.

Manchester I R5787, crew, P/P. JRB Parsons, Sgt. RT Kindred, Sgt. WT Holmes, Sgt. KW McCaskill, Sgt. AL Wright, Sgt. TA Butterworth, Sgt, RV Griffiths. Hit by flak and crash-landed at St-Renan, 15 km NW of Brest. Sgt. Butterworth died from his injuries within hours of the crash and Sgt. McCaskill succumbed to his on 3 February. They and P/O Parsons and Sgt. Holmes are buried at Lambézellec in Brest’s Kerfautras Cemetery. Sgt.’s Kindred and Griffiths became PoW’s and Sgt. Wright evaded.

72 aircraft attacked Brest, 5 were lost.

Base Changes

55 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Gambut

21 Sqn (Luqa) flew its last OM in the Blenheim IV
40 Sqn (Alconbury) flew its last OM in the Wellington IC

warshipbuilder

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 804
RE: Action This Day - 2/1/2022 12:55:22 AM   
warshipbuilder

402 Sqn RCAF(North Weald – Hurricane IIB) 1.2.42

Overcast, snowing heavily most of the day, clear in the afternoon, Quite a heavy fall of snow. All personnel, pilots and airmen, had a fair amount of exercise clearing the runways of snow. It was nice to see the clean white snow-making blanket on the “Good Earth”, more than one was a bit homesick. Due to weather conditions, S/L Campbell and pilots returned from Hunsdon by motor transport, a/c remained at Hunsdon.

Base Changes

4 Sqn SAAF (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Tmimi
203 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Gambut
260 Sqn (Non-Op) moved to LG.101
406 Sqn RCAF (Beaufighter IF) moved to Ayr

81 Sqn (Ouston) flew its first OM in the Spitfire VA
94 Sqn (LG.110) flew its first OM in the Kittyhawk I
247 Sqn (Predannack) flew its first OM in the Hurricane IIC
416 Sqn RCAF (Peterhead – Spitfire IIA) flew its first OM of the war

warshipbuilder

Post #: 805
RE: Action This Day - 2/2/2022 1:13:17 AM   
warshipbuilder

118 Sqn (Ibsley – Spitfire VB) 2.2.42

Section set off to attack the distillery at DROUDVILLE. When 15 miles N.E. POINTE DE BARFLEUR, they were attacked, on outward journey at 11.50, from cloud by 6 plus ME.109F. F/LT. P.I. HOWARD-WILLIAMS DFC shot down 1 into the sea and damaged 2 others. His own aircraft was damaged Cat. B., but he successfully landed at base. P/O. AMES did not return and was last seen diving a steep turn to starboard under perfect control.

ADDENDUM – Spitfire VB AA741, pilot P/O. EJ James RCAF was shot down by Me109s of III/JG2. James KIA.
Spitfire VB AA964, pilot F/Lt. PI Howard-Williams. Cat. B. aircraft repaired and transferred to the Royal Navy in 1944.

Base Changes

4 Sqn SAAF (Tomahawk IIB) moved to LG.110
112 Sqn (Kittyhawk I) moved to El Adem
250 Sqn (Tomahawk IIB) moved to Gamil
274 Sqn (Hurricane IIB/C) moved to El Adem
310 Sqn (Spitfire VB) moved to Predannack

57 Sqn (Methwold) flew its first OM in the Wellington III
221 Sqn (LG.039) flew its first OM in the Wellington VIII

warshipbuilder

Post #: 806
RE: Action This Day - 2/3/2022 12:52:38 AM   
warshipbuilder

402 Sqn RCAF (North Weald – Hurricane IIB) 3.2.42

Weather. Snowing again, Squadron clearing runways. Weather closed in. Due to weather, one section held to readiness, remainder of Squadron at 30 minutes. Squadron released off Station at 1400 hours. All pilots took advantage of this, going to Epping for shopping or cinema and enjoy a meal outside of the mess. Four Sgt. Pilots departed for Hunsdon to bring back the a/c that remained from night flying. All a/c grounded for aileron droop, two pilots to do taxiing of a/c to hangar.

Base Changes

1 Sqn SAAF (Hurricane IIB) moved to El Adem
24 Sqn SAAF (Boston III) moved to LG.076
33 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Gambut
55 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to Fuka
73 Sqn (Hurricane IIA/B) moved to El Adem
80 Sqn (Hurricane IIC) moved to LG.109
203 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to LG.05
208 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Arcoma
238 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Gambut

235 Sqn (Dyce) flew its first OM in the Beaufighter IF

warshipbuilder

Post #: 807
RE: Action This Day - 2/4/2022 12:58:53 AM   
warshipbuilder

310 Sqn (Perranporth – Spitfire VB) 4.2.42

One section of “B” Flight did a Cruiser Patrol off Lands End, another section scrambled for a patrol off the SCILLIES while a third did a Cruiser Patrol at LANDS END. These flights took place between 08.45 and 11.40 hours. At 11.56 two sections consisting of F/Lt. BURDA and FOIT and Sgt’s SKARVADA and FERNICA went off on a scramble for the SCILLIES. During the flight Sgt. SKARVADA was lost, for what reason is not known, but he was last observed at 12.50 hours. The others returned to base at 13.10 hours. At 13.55 hours five aircraft led by F/Lt. KREDBA took off to search for Sgt. SKARVADA, but no trace of him was found. While searching low over the water an enemy JU.88 was encountered.

At the time four of our aircraft were flying in line abreast with F/Lt. KREDBA acting as acting as communication aircraft at a height of about 10,000 feet. The raider was flying somewhat higher than our aircraft but low over the water. On seeing our aircraft approaching the enemy turned to port dropping some bombs into the sea. F/Lt. FOIT (Green 1) opened fire and fired 2 bursts of 2 secs followed by Sgt. VINDIS (Green 2) who gave 3 bursts of 4 secs, followed by F/Lt. BURDA (Blue 1) who fired 3 bursts of 2 secs and Sgt. SROM (Blue 2) who gave 3 bursts of 2 secs. All attacks were made from stern and starboard opening at 200 yards, and closing at 30 yards. The enemy returned fire from dorsal and ventral guns but swerved, no hits, and was silenced. Pieces were seen to fall off the raider aircraft and thick black smoke issued from starboard engine and as the plane sheared off into low cloud a large hole was visible in the starboard wing. The combat lasted only 30 seconds and our pilots were unable to sight the enemy properly as they and the enemy aircraft were so low on the sea. Our fighters returned to base at 14.50 hours. The camouflage and markings of the JU.88 were normal

ADDENDUM – Spitfire VB AD412, pilot Sgt. Z Skarvada became a POW.

48 Sqn (Wick) flew its first OM in the Hudson VI

< Message edited by warshipbuilder -- 2/5/2022 1:08:40 AM >

warshipbuilder

Post #: 808
RE: Action This Day - 2/5/2022 1:09:28 AM   
warshipbuilder

402 Sqn RCAF (North Weald – Hurricane IIB) 5.2.42

Weather, still bad with snow. At 0900 hours, carried out weather and aircraft test, flying washed out but “B” flight held at 30 minutes. Released at 1825 hours. Corporals and airmen commenced dining in the new Communal site.

Base Changes

18 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to LG.05

504 Sqn (Kirkistown) flew its last OM in the Spitfire IIA

warshipbuilder

Post #: 809
RE: Action This Day - 2/6/2022 1:00:54 AM   
warshipbuilder

455 Sqn RAAF (Swinderby – Hampden I) 6.2.42

The following crews took off on the Squadron’s first daylight operation. Duty. Minelaying off Frisian Islands.
AB442 T Sgt. Tobins, Sgt. Sears, Sgt. Smith, Sgt. Harrison.
AE195 G Sgt. Malomey, P/O. Hay, Sgt. Spedding, Sgt. Carter.
P1156 F F/Lt. Perrin, P/O. Abbott, P/O. Young, F/O. Symons.
AE308 L Sgt. Brown, Sgt. Billington, Sgt. Pickergill, Sgt. Bland.
AT113 P Sgt. Busfield, Sgt. Waites, Sgt. Comor, Sgt. Riggin.
AD783 U Sgt. Wincott, P/O. Roberts, Sgt. Fox, Sgt. Cromie.
AT137 W P/O. Kotoalfe, P/O. Oliver, P/O. Squires, Sgt. Mitchell.
AE128 N P/O. Charlton, P/O. Sandland, F/S. Wosnay, Sgt. Norland.
Of the above crews those of Sgt. Tobin, F/Lt. Perrin, Sgt. Busfield, and Sgt. Wincott did not proceed owing to insufficient cloud cover. The remainder completed the operation but AE308 L Sgt. Brown and crew did not return and were posted as ‘MISSING’. Five crews were detailed for night operations but were cancelled owing to weather.

ADDENDUM – Hampden I AE308 was shot down by Oblt Helmut Lent (30th victory) of Stab II./NJG2 into the sea 70 km W. of Terschelling at 1514. The crew is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Base Changes

203 Sqn (Blenheim IV) moved to LG.039
237 Sqn (Hurricane I) moved to Ismailia

69 Sqn (Luqa) flew its last OM in the Hurricane IIA
123 Sqn (Castletown) flew its last OM in the Spitfire IIA
600 Sqn (Predannack) flew its first OM in the Beaufighter VIF

warshipbuilder

Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 26 [27] 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> RE: Action This Day Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 [27] 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI