Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/4/2020 3:01:18 PM   
Bif1961

You didn't say how many CVEs you have on hand for the operation? He can base a large amount of naval air at Port Blair and in SE India and NW Burma. I would be fighter heavy and ASW on any carriers and you could use CVEs to fly in fighters as soon as you take DH and Calcutta so you can establish a land based CAP. The you can shuttle naval fighters from Ceylon to CVE positioned halfway to DH and Calcutta and then they can fly off the next day. If you say have 6 CVEs with a 27 plane squadron then you could pump in over 160 fighters to DH Calcutta a day. You may have to keep up this air convoyer belt to sustain a land base CAP for a several days, until he wears himself down against it. So Corsairs might be the best choice for this assignment, as they seem to be the most capable naval air-to-air carrier plane you have at this time. That is unless the Corsair is not allowed on your CVEs, then it would have to be Hell-kittens. You might have to have 500+ Hell-kittens ready for this mission until you can ship in shorter range land based fighters or capture Madras or an air base that can be used as the link to fly Army fighters there.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 121
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/5/2020 1:37:21 PM   
Mundy

I've probably got about 4 CVEs right now. One was a replenishment ship, and I've landed the dive bombers, leaving 24 fighters aboard.

I'll probably have 3 CVs and 6 CVLs by the time this kicks off. Should be plenty to fend off any land based air. CT seems to be more fighter-heavy in India, according to recon.

I'm guessing about 50 days before I can kick this off. The way we crank out turns on the weekend, it'll probably only be a couple weeks before the time comes. I think we did 19 between last Friday and Sunday.

F4U-1A are coming into service. I'm hoping to flip a couple carrier squadrons by then.

Recon's showing about 85,000 troops at Calcutta. Lots of those are probably support forces as he has about 200 aircraft there.

Once I land, I'll keep watching troop levels at Madras I can dump troops from Ceylon there when the time comes. I've been accumulating lots of shipping and troops there.

Calcutta's a huge VP source for him. Like to take that away.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 122
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/5/2020 2:50:37 PM   
Anachro

That should be enough as long as you can pinpoint the location of his KB. Can you do something to draw it out in the Pacific and see if it appears?

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 123
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/5/2020 3:17:19 PM   
Mundy

I'm guessing they're in the Truk area. They showed up fairly quickly when I tried to take the Marshalls.

I could probably run some DMs to Kwajalein to stir things up beforehand. The tone of his emails seems to show he's expecting something that way.

Otherwise, India's a long ways away.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 124
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/5/2020 3:32:38 PM   
Lowpe

I would like to comment, and I stopped reading Troy's AAR about a month ago I think, but I don't feel comfortable other than to give you very broad brush comments.

One of the reasons the Allies picked Normandy because they could contest, control the air space.

In this game, the only way to stop rail traffic is to physically be there.

Referring to the Normandy invasion one more time, the Allies used Patton, and misinformation to mislead the Germans as to the landing spot.

I think those are three very salient points that you need to consider. Air control. Railraods. Misdirection.

There, I think I have honored Troy, given you something to think about. You are in the enviable and rare position of being a relatively late game Allied player that cannot fall back on the bigger wrench philosophy. You are so lucky. Treasure this opportunity.

Good luck!

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/5/2020 3:33:28 PM >

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 125
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/5/2020 4:55:28 PM   
Anachro

It would at the very least be easy though paradrop and small landings to cutoff the rail links to Madras, if nothing else. Calcutta will be tougher, but if you can quickly smash and grab territory, rails still require time to load and unload.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 126
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/8/2020 2:36:54 PM   
Mundy

30 October 1943.

Almost November. Don't think there were a lot of "amazing" planes coming in then.

Took a quick count on shipping sitting at Cape Town. The List:

quote:

219 xAP
189 xAK
34 LCI
60 LST
44 AK
1 AP
2 LSD
20 AKA
23 APD
1 LSI(M)
4 LSI(L)
38 APA
2 AGC

Lots more are still inbound, so these number will swell a bit. I think I've enough to get everyone shipped out.

In Addition, I have 2 CVs, 3 CVLs, with one more inbound and two CVEs. A couple more CVEs will show up in Portland in a few weeks. Another CV and CVL in Panama within a month. As eager as I am to kick this off, I wait until my carriers arrive. Two BBs are also inbound in addition to the two I have present. Unfortunately they won't be able to bombard Calcutta, so they'll rough up Diamond Harbor. I also want everyone prepped enough. I think everyones in the 35 range yet. The amphib HQ with the AGCs will help.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 127
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/13/2020 3:08:45 PM   
Mundy

Launch day is roughly 20-ish days out.

I'll kick this off when both battleships inbound from Pearl arrive.

I have lots and lots of troop and cargo transports at Cape Town, with many being more suitable for amphib operations. Lots of stuff should get landed quickly when it happens.

I've been getting lots of LSTs at Aden, which I'm routing to Colombo. I'm getting to where I'm taking more of a shorter route down the Indian coast to get there. It turns out CT has zero naval search going on off the west coast of India. Seems an unusually complacent move for a guy like him. Hopefully, the SE part of India is being run similarly. ASW flights have been very heavy nearly everywhere. Most subs anywhere near Japanese territory are getting attacked daily.

This should get interesting...

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 128
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/13/2020 3:48:23 PM   
Alfred

He can't be everywhere. Probably thinks an Allied landing in west India is probably sub optimal as it gives Japan plenty of time to organize its defenses around Calcutta. Hence he may not really be expecting a landing there.

Alfred

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 129
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/13/2020 4:24:38 PM   
tolsdorff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Referring to the Normandy invasion one more time, the Allies used Patton, and misinformation to mislead the Germans as to the landing spot.

Misdirection,

This is so grossly overestimated, that it just sounds ridiculous on this forum.

It was clear to all german officers, that normandy was going to be the spot. It was also very clear to Rommel and Rundstedt, and all other capable german officers of which there were many, that the British and Americans had overwhelming material capabilities. There was just not much they could do about it.

They did get the date wrong. Even when aware of the allied superior material, the germans underestimated the allied capability of dealing with the weather on that 6th june.

< Message edited by tolsdorff -- 8/13/2020 4:25:12 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 130
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/13/2020 4:30:43 PM   
tolsdorff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

Launch day is roughly 20-ish days out.

I'll kick this off when both battleships inbound from Pearl arrive.

I have lots and lots of troop and cargo transports at Cape Town, with many being more suitable for amphib operations. Lots of stuff should get landed quickly when it happens.

I've been getting lots of LSTs at Aden, which I'm routing to Colombo. I'm getting to where I'm taking more of a shorter route down the Indian coast to get there. It turns out CT has zero naval search going on off the west coast of India. Seems an unusually complacent move for a guy like him. Hopefully, the SE part of India is being run similarly. ASW flights have been very heavy nearly everywhere. Most subs anywhere near Japanese territory are getting attacked daily.

This should get interesting...

you are still going to be weak. Another carrier clash, and you will lose everything again. Stop doing that.

What other forum members allude to, is that you are going to need to set up some kind of land base air war theatre, where your pilots can train to be 80+ exp. Then use those 80+ exp squadrons to cover carrier - supported landings. That way, you can start to hurt him. Japan is always suffering on the pilot front, set up land based air wars with interlocking airfields. That is where you can win the war. Start using your naval air, when you have 15 cv;s and 50 cve's with 80 exp pilots

< Message edited by tolsdorff -- 8/13/2020 4:32:41 PM >

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 131
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/13/2020 4:41:56 PM   
Mundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

He can't be everywhere. Probably thinks an Allied landing in west India is probably sub optimal as it gives Japan plenty of time to organize its defenses around Calcutta. Hence he may not really be expecting a landing there.

Alfred

Feels like he's everywhere...

Once China fell, he pulled a buttload of Helen squadrons out of there and spread them out all over the place, mainly on ASW. I probably would have put a number of them on search missions for the out of reach places.

I'll still probably deal with Calcutta. I may modify my plans with the troops on Ceylon. I have them prepping for Maddras, which is a tough cookie also. I'm leaning towards dumping them at Diamond Harbor once that falls and contributing to taking Calcutta.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 132
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/13/2020 4:51:01 PM   
Mundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tolsdorff

you are still going to be weak. Another carrier clash, and you will lose everything again. Stop doing that.

What other forum members allude to, is that you are going to need to set up some kind of land base air war theatre, where your pilots can train to be 80+ exp. Then use those 80+ exp squadrons to cover carrier - supported landings. That way, you can start to hurt him. Japan is always suffering on the pilot front, set up land based air wars with interlocking airfields. That is where you can win the war. Start using your naval air, when you have 15 cv;s and 50 cve's with 80 exp pilots

India is a long way from Truk. My sense is that he's expecting my next move to be out east yet.

I need a serious move, being this far into the war. A long slog across all of India will take too long.

I wish he would do me a favor and maybe try raiding Samoa. That would likely turn things quickly.

I wonder if I land my Ceylon forces at Cuttack, if I can draw the Calcutta mob out?

(in reply to tolsdorff)
Post #: 133
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/13/2020 7:07:02 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tolsdorff

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Misdirection,

This is so grossly overestimated, that it just sounds ridiculous on this forum.

It was clear to all german officers, that normandy was going to be the spot. It was also very clear to Rommel and Rundstedt, and all other capable german officers of which there were many, that the British and Americans had overwhelming material capabilities. There was just not much they could do about it.

They did get the date wrong. Even when aware of the allied superior material, the germans underestimated the allied capability of dealing with the weather on that 6th june.

It didn't matter what the German High Command thought - it only mattered what Hitler thought - and he was fixated on the Pas-de-Calais. Ever try to deal with someone who outranks you and is convinced of their own infallibility?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to tolsdorff)
Post #: 134
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/13/2020 7:51:40 PM   
Lowpe

with respect, deception is critical to this game.

Whether the subterfuge pulled off by the Allies prior to and after Normandy helped, is I am sure open to interpretation. Here is one take http://www.americainwwii.com/articles/pattons-ghost-army/

At a midnight conference on June 9, Hitler cancelled orders to send those forces to Normandy. They were to stay at the Pas de Calais. Indeed, even reinforcements currently on the way to Normandy were to be diverted to Calais. The phantom army had won its battle.

The Allied imposture continued for weeks. The presence of FUSAG would keep German forces at the Pas de Calais out of the Normandy battle, even after Patton arrived at Normandy as the head of the US Third Army. The Germans thought that FUSAG formations were being cannibalized by Eisenhower to replace losses in Normandy. In fact, two fictitious American airborne divisions in FUSAG were disbanded and reconstituted as a single fictitious division, the ostensible explanation being that the two original units had been heavily tapped for reinforcements and replacements.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 135
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/15/2020 1:52:52 PM   
Mundy

22 November 1943

Encountered my first air raid west of India today. Some tankers heading back to Abadan from Colombo about 4 hexes from Goa got attacked. They must not have an air HQ, as they only had bombs. They also bombed from 10,000 feet, so no hits. I'm rerouting anyone else to stay clear. I'm reconning Bombay next turn, as I suspect that's the base. Wondering if I should land a light force with base units at Mangalore to move my bombing range north.

I'm a ways out yet, but I'm forming up my invasion convoys in advance. I've found if you have too many ships in port, some of them tend to "disappear". I have one big enough for the Diamond Harbor landing and another big enough to land all the combat units at Calcutta.

I've been grouping lots of subs near the Marshalls and Marianas, to maybe send false signals that ways.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 136
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/15/2020 2:24:10 PM   
Mundy

Broke out my copy of Intel Monkey to help.

KB's been pretty mum. One radio fix on Kaga, but it's 4 months old.

Getting this:

quote:

Heavy Volume of Radio transmissions

Rabaul and Truk get this. So does Rangoon, which bugs me abit.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 137
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/15/2020 8:19:48 PM   
Mundy

26 November 1943

I've landed at Cochin. No resistance, as recon already showed.

I used a light armored unit (Humber armored cars) plus a few base units. Overall, fairly expendable.

It'll be mind and then I'll move some air in. I selected that spot as it was already a level 3 airfield.

I'll be able to recon Karachi, to see if its occupied.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 138
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/16/2020 9:26:38 PM   
Bif1961

Dipping in a toe?

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 139
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/17/2020 12:57:09 PM   
Mundy

Yeah, I'm watching troop counts at Madras and Calcutta to see if anything moves.

The troop was "Gardner's Light Cavalry" or some such thing, only equipped with Humber armored cars. I'm moving them around to take any unoccupied bases he has right now.

The sucky part is taking Cochin leaves my PB4Y-1P one hex short from reaching Karachi, so I can't get eyes on them yet.

He pretty much told me he didn't have the troops to completely occupy the subcontinent. Rangoon was high on his priority list, so they're probably packed with troops. If things go to plan, I'm going to bypass Burma anyway. Straight to Singapore.

Lot to do before then, however.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 140
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/17/2020 4:17:22 PM   
Bif1961

SIGINT will have to be your pal and alert you when he starts moving things to central and western India. look for those reports of radio or heavy radio traffic at bases you haven't seen anything in SIGINT in months or weeks.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 141
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/17/2020 5:42:02 PM   
Mundy

Yeah, I've had Intel Monkey running a lot lately.

Lots of traffic at Truk and Rabaul. Traffic analysis is rather tough in this game.

The only CV report was 4 months ago, in the Gilberts.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 142
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/21/2020 11:26:59 AM   
Mundy

14 December 1943

4 days until Kickoff. Waiting for one more CVL to arrive. I'll have 3 CVs and 6 CVLs by then. Another 5 CVEs will tag along. Not enough to fend off KB, but enough for any land based air. When I take Diamond Harbor, I'll have two squadrons of P-47s loaded onto AKVs, so they be up almost instantly.

He seems fairly light in bombers in India, which is good. Diamond Harbor is consistently showing about 1,000 people present, so I'll overrun that pretty quickly. Calcutta's in the 85,000 range, many of it probably being support forces. Intel Monkey had indicated 4 divisions for sure parked there. (18th, 19th, 2nd and 33rd as well as the 21st mixed brigade, though that intel is at least a month old.)

Regarding the sub war, I'm starting to wonder how he's getting fuel to Japan. I've got lots of subs surrounding the home islands, but contacts seem very infrequent. I usually have something watching Port Arthur also.

This game is coming close to overtaking my game with SierraJuliet, as I'm a little past Christmas 1943 there.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 143
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/21/2020 6:52:36 PM   
Mundy

19 December 1943

Invasion kicked off. Invaders in two task forces. One for Diamond Harbor and one for Calcutta. A third for all the support units and some follow-on combat units, and a fourth for the Amphib HQ to supervise it all. With these are a replenishment TF with AOs and three carrier groups. Still have to get a big TF loaded with aircraft. AKVs already loaded with Jugs and P-51s.

Amphibs will arrive on-map in 13 days. Probably 7 days before they arrive, I'll get the big invasion group from Ceylon loaded and headed to Cuttack. I'm hoping they'll draw out any forces at Calcutta.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 144
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/21/2020 11:21:01 PM   
Anachro

4 divisions with high forts will be a very tough nut to crack. Good luck. Will probably need repeated bombardment so if you can capture Madras with its port and plant AKEs there and fuel, might help. You can't bring your BBs in to bombard Calcutta unfortunately, but repeated CA/CL/DD bombardments does have an effect.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 145
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/22/2020 10:15:44 PM   
Bif1961

Good luck will be on pins and needles here.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 146
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/23/2020 1:35:41 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

I prefer to be on Piña Coladas!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 147
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/23/2020 1:52:25 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I prefer to be on Piña Coladas!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 148
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/23/2020 4:54:16 PM   
Bif1961

I don't drink so I will also be on Coke Zero.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 149
RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 - 8/23/2020 5:29:06 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

I don't drink so I will also be on Coke Zero.

If you don't drink, don't you get dehydrated?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: There is only War... Mundy vs Castor Troy DBB Scen 28 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI