Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI and Kamikaze attacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AI and Kamikaze attacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/11/2019 1:03:07 PM   
jwolf

Playing against the Japanese AI, once kamikazes are activated do the Japanese ever fly any conventional bombing or torpedo attacks against ships? In my game (currently April 45) they have had kamikazes for about a year of game time. During that stretch, to the best of my knowledge only one non-kamikaze anti-ship air raid was done, when I left a pair of destroyers too close to Kyushu and some Zeros strafed and bombed them. All Japanese bombers (Betty, Judy, Jill, Frances etc) which attacked my ships did so as kamikazes as far as I know. Disclaimer: the vast majority of these air raids were shot up or driven off without any attack run being made, so I could not say for sure exactly what the enemy mission was. But on the few times an attack run occurred, it was always a kamikaze.

I am wondering if use as a kamikaze is always the best use of these planes; I suspect not.
Post #: 1
RE: AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/11/2019 3:11:25 PM   
HansBolter

Yes they do.

In fact I have seen a mix of both types in many raids.

My current scenario 40 game is at February 20th, 1946.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 10/11/2019 3:12:25 PM >

Hans

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/11/2019 3:43:29 PM   
Kursk1943

I can confirm Hans' statement. I'm in May 1945, Ironman Scen, and it's always a mix of types.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3
RE: AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/11/2019 5:37:52 PM   
jwolf

Thanks for the replies. That is reassuring and good to know.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 4
RE: AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/12/2019 1:14:55 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Thanks for the replies. That is reassuring and good to know.

Just a caveat - I believe that in PBEM there are certain designated squadrons that can convert to kamikaze. In a game against the AI, it probably does not have any qualms about using any squadron as a kamikaze squadron, giving it a lot more kamikazes to work with.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/14/2019 12:46:14 PM   
jwolf

That is certainly consistent with what I've seen: pretty much anything that can fly can and will be used as a kamikaze.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/14/2019 6:55:15 PM   
PaxMondo

Even as a player with control, a significant number of planes will kami without orders. So you always get a mix no matter your preference

Pax

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 7
RE: AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/16/2019 4:50:31 PM   
Macclan5

@ Jwolf : It may have something to do with ??...??

(not certain)

Where you are in 04/45 - on the shores of the home island ? No doubt.

General attrition rate through the war ?? Does the Empire have much left to fly ?

In my own experiences 2 times - that late in the war - I saw a dramatic increase in Kamikazee because Tokyo and Osaka had not much left. 1000+ planes but essentially the special squadrons and Petes only.

When I 'cheated' at end game with my troops in the Tokyo hex - and opened the game as the IJN to review bases - troops AV - planes - ships to see what I missed - not much essentially against the stock AI and updated stock AI.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: AI and Kamikaze attacks - 10/16/2019 5:25:26 PM   
jwolf

Macclan, yes in my game I have taken the Okinawa area up to Amami Oshima and I am just beginning to try to soften up the big bases in Kyushu. On land, all of 1937 China has been reclaimed and I have taken a handful of bases just inside Manchuria.

Air losses are about 12K for me and nearly 4 times that for the AI Japanese. Whatever their limits on production are, if any, I haven't found them yet. They still have a lot of the older models (Zero, Oscar, Betty, Helen) but also more modern planes such as Frank, George, and the Jack which has just turned up. Also they have a fancy new Ki-83 which as been tough on my carrier fighters. The Japanese air force is still potent as far as I know.

I am playing on hard difficulty, not up to Ironman let alone the new "Insane AI" featured in the AARs.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AI and Kamikaze attacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI