Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Life Has Shifted into Fast Forward and I Can't Stop It

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Life Has Shifted into Fast Forward and I Can't Stop It Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Life Has Shifted into Fast Forward and I Can't Stop It - 7/5/2003 12:22:35 PM   
KG Erwin

I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing the peculiar sensation of time seeming to advance faster as you grow older. This was driven home to me when my new-born daughter of yesterday became a six-year old almost overnight. I'm only 46, but this sense of time acceleration is a very real thing to me. Does becoming a parent trigger this, and does anyone else feel this way?
Post #: 1
- 7/5/2003 12:46:34 PM   
Raverdave

Oh yeah....I feel it to...but the funny thing is as each birthday comes and goes, I don't [I]feel[/I] any older. But bloody hell those birthdays just seem to be zooming past!

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
- 7/5/2003 1:03:59 PM   
nelmsm1

Actually there is another side effect with children, not only does time go faster but you will get stupider as they get older. When my kids were little I was a regular Einstein to them and now I think they are amazed that I can feed and dress myself. :eek:

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
Awareness of my mortality... - 7/5/2003 1:42:49 PM   
KG Erwin

...only makes me value life more. I don't feel older--the days and months pass by in a flash, but my mind still retains its youthful enthusiasm for learning.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
- 7/5/2003 3:10:45 PM   
Losqualo

I saw a documentation on Discovery Channel about that effect. It seems that for humans the feeling of passing time slows down when it's warm and speeds up when it's cold. Since the temperature of your body sinks when you get older, you get the feeling that time goes faster.

I really don't think that this explanation is getting us more comfortable, but at least it's an explanation. ;)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
- 7/5/2003 5:51:10 PM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Losqualo
[B]I saw a documentation on Discovery Channel about that effect. It seems that for humans the feeling of passing time slows down when it's warm and speeds up when it's cold. Since the temperature of your body sinks when you get older, you get the feeling that time goes faster.

I really don't think that this explanation is getting us more comfortable, but at least it's an explanation. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

so the time in winter would feel the time in winter would go much faster ?? mmmhh? not shure about that. i think the summers are always gone so fast...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
- 7/5/2003 6:01:20 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Very interesting thread.

I have this theory, people don't get senile, time is merely passing by to fast for all but speed readers :)

I have noticed also, time has more meaningful experiences when you are actually enjoying yourself.

I feel sorry for those that "willingly" forgo having kids though. My life has only felt useful since I became a parent. I will aaaaalways consider ANY career second place to the joy of a child's smile. And no, it has to be your child.

For those that have been forcibly denied this priviledge, you definitely have my sympathies.

It seems like only yesterday I was young :)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
- 7/6/2003 1:16:37 AM   
RUsco

I'll agree time seems to go by faster as you get older.

You're 46 with a 6 year old. I'm 47 with 9 1/2 year old, 1 year old and a 1 month old Granddaughter.

Keep going and you may catch up.:D

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
- 7/6/2003 2:08:51 AM   
Paratrooper

It seems to me like that last hour of work on Friday afternoon drags on..

f

o

r

e

v

e

r

butsaturdayandsundaygoesbyreallyreallyfast!

Oi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
- 7/6/2003 4:30:12 AM   
junk2drive

my mother in law told me time goes quicker when u get older, 20 years, oh wait, 30 years ago. one day you are changing their diapers and the next thing u know u walk them down the aisle. only the teen years go on forever lol

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
- 7/9/2003 9:29:30 AM   
Golf33

I help slow down my ageing process by refusing to remember how old I am.

When someone asks, I usually turn to the wife first (she always seems to know); if she isn't around I have to work it out from my birthdate. Let me see.... 2003 minus 1976.... and I've had a birthday this year so that's right.... so I must be 27. Doesn't feel that way though - some days I feel 28 and others 26.

The parents are dead right about things too; my life has been a lot better since my daughter Sarah was born nearly nine months ago.

This is about two or three months ago now, since then she has her first two teeth, crawls everywhere, and pulls herself up to stand using the furniture as a prop.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
Wait till - 7/9/2003 10:24:32 AM   
boomboom

They become teenagers.You'll wounder why you ever had them.LikeToney saprano said you can't put the **** back in the donkey.My three are grown,and on their own.I'm 53 and if some gal told me she was pregnit with mine,I'd join the forien legion.Me and Moe Lary and curley.yuck yuck

I'm boomboom.I don't want to control the sea.I ain't no calvery general[horses stink].I don't want to fight the next world war.I want to go back to dog patch,and fall in love.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
- 7/9/2003 12:32:26 PM   
Ian Packham

Darn you guys have just reminded me its my birthday next week. Have to say that I hate people fussing over my birthday, I would rather just forget about it altogether. Instead of getting presents like you did when you were a kid, now I get a pair of socks from the wife and some cheeky birthday cards saying how you look like an old fart.

My aging stopped at 21, I refuse to believe I am any older despite what people tell me. That aint grey hair, thats highlights. :D

That's the view of a few vociferous idiots here whose politics are to the right of Ghengis Khan and defend their hatred of foreigners and minorities with the idea that they are practicing patriotism rather than bigotry.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
- 7/9/2003 7:25:05 PM   
Paul Vebber

There are 4 watersheds go through with kids each of which changes your life radically (at least the first time), each of which seems to affect your perception of time.

1) When they are born

2) When they go mobile

3) When they get an opinion

4) When they leave

Each has a bizarre effect on the space-time continuuum ;)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Life Has Shifted into Fast Forward and I Can't Stop It Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI