Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Assigning Generals - not enough command points

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Assigning Generals - not enough command points Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Assigning Generals - not enough command points - 10/29/2019 5:33:09 PM   
abulbulian

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm finding it impossible to have the historical generals in place before Barbarossa. The command points to allocate generals just doesn't seem enough for the Axis regarding historical placements. What am I missing?

I strongly suggest that when a new HQ is built it is allowed to add a general for 'free' (no command points). That to me makes sense and would fix what I think is an issue in the game.

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Post #: 1
RE: Assigning Generals - not enough command points - 10/29/2019 5:53:02 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm finding it impossible to have the historical generals in place before Barbarossa. The command points to allocate generals just doesn't seem enough for the Axis regarding historical placements. What am I missing?

I strongly suggest that when a new HQ is built it is allowed to add a general for 'free' (no command points). That to me makes sense and would fix what I think is an issue in the game.

But different generals (quite rightly) cost a different amount of command points, otherwise everyone would just use the best generals, and this would partially nullify that differentiation. Perhaps there could be a command point "discount" when adding a general to a newly built HQ, though?

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 2
RE: Assigning Generals - not enough command points - 10/29/2019 5:56:13 PM   
Flaviusx

I'd lower the costs of von Bock and the other historical AG commanders to make this a little easier. And you also have to find the points to squeeze in Rommel if you do NA, and he's not cheap, either.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 3
RE: Assigning Generals - not enough command points - 10/29/2019 6:01:35 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

ORIGINAL: OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

But different generals (quite rightly) cost a different amount of command points, otherwise everyone would just use the best generals, and this would partially nullify that differentiation. Perhaps there could be a command point "discount" when adding a general to a newly built HQ, though?

I'm ok with a discount too, but something is needed to help here.

- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 4
RE: Assigning Generals - not enough command points - 10/29/2019 6:04:57 PM   
AlbertN

More command points per turn - quite simple.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 5
RE: Assigning Generals - not enough command points - 10/29/2019 6:27:42 PM   
AlvaroSousa

The cost is based on their ability in a formula. The more ability the higher the cost.

If someone would like to research all the major powers up to each year to determine what is missing it would be appreciated.

I did an estimate.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 6
RE: Assigning Generals - not enough command points - 10/29/2019 6:33:46 PM   
AlbertN

I am more thinking in the lines of Command Points generation per turn.

Germany can have 2 per turn.
Soviets 1.5.
All other Majors 1.
Minors 0.5.

Considering UK and USA land forces were limited in numbers and HQs do not exactly command air / naval forces - at least presently. Something I hope it will be added, naval and air HQs.
Germany needs to cover the most fronts so probably will have the most HQs around and in general had no shortage of quality leaders and high command staff / officers.

Command Point generation begins only once a nation is active. (This will help represent how gradually Soviets and USA weeded out poor leaders and replaced them, in the first case was widely diffused, for the USA it's something that happened just after Kasserine for instance)

I am not sure if the historical names will be allocated that way - but I think it's not game breaking and a neat and simple feature.

< Message edited by Cohen_slith -- 10/29/2019 6:35:49 PM >

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 7
RE: Assigning Generals - not enough command points - 10/29/2019 6:38:50 PM   
Flaviusx

Weirdly, the Sovs do well here, assuming a historical June 41 invasion. There's enough command points to cover the whole initial front with, say, Vatutin, Konev, and Rokossovsky. 3 HQs will just about do the trick. You'll need more than that as the front lengthens, but it's manageable.

The end result is that the Axis hardly has any major command edge for Barbarossa.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Assigning Generals - not enough command points Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI