Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Going to see Midway opening night ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Going to see Midway opening night ? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 11:47:35 AM   
Macclan5

Was able to negotiate a ' short leave of absence' from parental and family responsibility on Friday Nov 8 !

<< Release date Toronto Canada - IMAX >>

Youngest daughter actually wants to join me!

She is taking Canadian History in high school (Grades 9 - 12 - she is a Senior) which covers the 20th Century including WW2. I must have done at least one thing correct as a parent because she volunteered to come

Seen many trailers and reviews on the whole "Interweb thingy".

Still rather excited to see it first hand and form my own opinion.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Post #: 1
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 12:25:24 PM   
Trugrit

The director is the same as the one for “Independence Day” and Hollywood loves sequels of successful movies.

Look for this to be “Independence Day” on the ocean.
Extraterrestrial Aliens replaced by the Japanese.

Lots of special effects, so it should be fun to watch.

Here is a clue from the trailer:
There is a scene where Nimitz asks where will the Japanese strike.
An actor says “Midway”. Then an actor says “Washington disagrees”
Then an actor says “Washington is wrong”.

So, that is your clue, a group of young good looking rogue naval heroes bucks the
establishment and wins a big one for America and the children before the Japanese
invaders can attack the west coast.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84EimN2HCg

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 2
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 12:26:16 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

I have seen some trailers and groaned about the Hollywood-typical exaggerated CGI combat scenes, like Zeros strafing at lower-than-treetops-level three feet above the ground or dive-bombers pulling out of their dives so low the wingtips dip into the ocean.

Ok, thanks to CGI at least no angled-deck carriers standing-in for historic ships.

Seems to have a love story or at least family story as well. In short, looks like TMTSNBN Part II.

I'll watch it anyway of course, but with much lower expectations than I had for the original TMTSNBN.

Btw, last week I did some triage of the stuff accumulated in the attic and went through my assorted souvenirs and memorabilia, including those of my "study abroad experience" at SUNY Buffalo - and look what I found:

On the release day

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 10/31/2019 12:27:29 PM >

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 3
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 12:29:17 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

I have seen some trailers and groaned about the Hollywood-typical exaggerated CGI combat scenes, like Zeros strafing at lower-than-treetops-level three feet above the ground or dive-bombers pulling out of their dives so low the wingtips dip into the ocean.

Ok, thanks to CGI at least no angled-deck carriers standing-in for historic ships.

Seems to have a love story or at least family story as well. In short, looks like TMTSNBN Part II.

I'll watch it anyway of course, but with much lower expectations than I had for the original TMTSNBN.

Btw, last week I did some triage of the stuff accumulated in the attic and went through my assorted souvenirs and memorabilia, including those of my "study abroad experience" at SUNY Buffalo - and look what I found:

On the release day

No!!!! That ticket stub from TMTSNBN has cursed the entire Forum. We're doomed...

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 4
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 12:32:52 PM   
fcooke

For 7 bucks you could have enjoyed a pretty good beer...or wine....or cocktail.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 12:51:10 PM   
BBfanboy

Congrats Macclan5! Getting at teenage daughter to go anywhere with her father is a real achievement! Getting one to go to a movie about an historic battle is a coup!

A WWI movie featuring Canadians would have been a better choice to show why we mark Remembrance Day on November 11 (the end of WWI).
Although it was a love story set in WWI, I thought Passchendale was fairly well done on the battle scenes and the PTSD that the horrors of war inflict on people. Because of that, I forgave the Director's "artistic license" that put the hero, his lover and her brother in the same piece of front line, and the repetition of the "man on the cross" situation (the original was a real event, exaggerated by Allied propaganda into a German atrocity).

At any rate, anything that gets our youth aware of the sacrifices made during war is worthwhile. We cannot afford to let them take their freedom for granted.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 6
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 1:19:35 PM   
spence

quote:

https://taskandpurpose.com/midway-movie-roland-demmerich-nationalism

Within this article there is a second one hidden that indicates that TMTSNBN is widely recognized as being 'bad'

I am looking forward to seeing this movie.

< Message edited by spence -- 10/31/2019 1:32:07 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 2:59:13 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

For 7 bucks you could have enjoyed a pretty good beer...or wine....or cocktail.

Well, probably two back then!!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 8
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 4:30:25 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Congrats Macclan5! Getting at teenage daughter to go anywhere with her father is a real achievement! Getting one to go to a movie about an historic battle is a coup!

A WWI movie featuring Canadians would have been a better choice to show why we mark Remembrance Day on November 11 (the end of WWI).
Although it was a love story set in WWI, I thought Passchendale was fairly well done on the battle scenes and the PTSD that the horrors of war inflict on people. Because of that, I forgave the Director's "artistic license" that put the hero, his lover and her brother in the same piece of front line, and the repetition of the "man on the cross" situation (the original was a real event, exaggerated by Allied propaganda into a German atrocity).

At any rate, anything that gets our youth aware of the sacrifices made during war is worthwhile. We cannot afford to let them take their freedom for granted.

Thanks mate !

I was pleasantly surprised too !

"We" did watch Dunkirk off Netflix some weeks(?) months(?) ago. Indeed the responsibility of Remembrance and Voting is a key thing in my family.

Twitter outrage "click-tivism" does not make you a contributor to your democratic society.

2 daughters (of 3 - but one moved out ) without complaint.

However "Curry takeout" bribes were involved - Butter Chicken, Chena Masala, Samosa's and a large bottle of "Vitamin water - strawberry kiwi" each

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 10/31/2019 4:39:57 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 4:38:35 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

I share the sentiment - "lower expectations"

In fairness - at my age - I often discover this. Most often when I see movies and my expectations are low I end up simply enjoying them for what they are. Often when I see movies that are 'critically acclaimed' I am kinda of ...mehhh - whats all the fuss about.

Not that I actually see a lot of movies in theater now a days - but a few a year.

Dunkirk - noted above was an exemplar. All I read / heard of it was 'spectacular'. In Theater I came out kinda 'meh'.... but recently re-watching on Netflix I sort of thought - "hey it was pretty good overall'.

Post #: 10
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 5:32:18 PM   
jagsdomain

Going Sat or Sunday.
Its been forever sents a WW2 movie has come out much less a good one.
Yes CGI but there are no SBD flying and yes the ships will be close to gether but if there not you dont have a movie.
Lets face it most historical battles would be difficult to watch and some down right boring. Looking at you Monter v Meramac.
As long as he gets the beats right it could spark interest in people that might now other wise know it even happened.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 11
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 5:32:58 PM   
jagsdomain

Enjoy father daughter day. You only get so many of them!

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 12
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 10/31/2019 5:40:14 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

Was able to negotiate a ' short leave of absence' from parental and family responsibility on Friday Nov 8 !

<< Release date Toronto Canada - IMAX >>

Youngest daughter actually wants to join me!

She is taking Canadian History in high school (Grades 9 - 12 - she is a Senior) which covers the 20th Century including WW2. I must have done at least one thing correct as a parent because she volunteered to come

Seen many trailers and reviews on the whole "Interweb thingy".

Still rather excited to see it first hand and form my own opinion.

I'm pleased to hear that your daughter is interested in the material. I hope that you / she aren't disappointed on opening night. Would you mind coming back here with your review?

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 13
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/1/2019 8:49:00 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Getting one to go to a movie about an historic battle is a coup!

In my experience that's any teenager.

quote:

We cannot afford to let them take their freedom for granted.

My greatest fear in life is for anyone to do so.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/7/2019 8:56:49 PM   
AcePylut

quote:

On the release day

I fear that this movie will be known as :

The Movie That Shall Not Be Mentioned

Because we don't need a TMTSNBN #2 :)

Post #: 15
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 11:12:01 AM   
Miller

I'm off to watch it in a few hours time, I'll report back later but I'm not overly optimistic.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 16
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 12:02:11 PM   
Canoerebel

If a majority of ye Forumites are enthusiastic (very enthusiastic), I'll go. Otherwise, no way I'm dipping my toes in this water.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 17
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 12:10:49 PM   
AcePylut

I watched it. It was both good and bad. I'll watch it again with my 14 year old so that she will know how the first 6 months of the war went.

I could tell that the director was a serious history buff. There were so many meta things in the movie that would only make sense to someone who knows actual history.

As in, how many people, outside of this forum, know who John Ford is, or was? He had a small appearance that I thought was absolutely not relevant to the movie at all, but was kind of neat for me to see and go "omg cool!"

The dialogue was, as expected, rather cheesy. The combat sequences were more akin to a video game than what I recall from the old WW2 black and whites.

But then, one of the very first scenes in the movie showed the main character putting his airplane into a cross-control stall to drop altitude without gaining airspeed, so that was pretty cool but then right after that was some silly landing on a carrier.

My two cents - I think the director was a serious history buff that loved the subject and definitely took his time to get the historical parts right, but couldn't get out of his own way when it came to 'plosions and guns and video game eye candy and "lets go get 'em boys" dialogue.

For me - when I was a little kid, maybe age 5, I read a story about something the Japanese did during the battle that shocked me, and bothered me for years. It still bothers me even though I know, now, it was the way the Japanese did war. This action is in the movie. Watching it happen, and recalling all those years of horror I felt as a kid growing up and knowing this story, I damn near shed tears over it. Lots of emotions from that.

This movie was imho a lot better than the '76 Midway movie.

But please note, when I went into the movie, my expectation was it would be TMTSNBM ... so anything above absolute suck would have made it good. It was better than absolute suck. I just don't know how much better. I'll know more when I get past the cool little "only a nerdy WW2 Pacific War history buff would know" feeling.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 11/8/2019 12:13:20 PM >

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 18
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 12:24:41 PM   
AcePylut

Here’s the thing – it might seem like a total movie cliché that the main intel guy Rochefort walked around his intel office wearing slippers and a robe with a disheveled bed in his office…,. Unless you know that that is exactly what he did. It might seem like a total cliché that the intel analysts were the band members from a sunken battleship because they can “read notes and maybe that will help them decipher intel”, unless you know that’s true.

So I was really jazzed in seeing that kind of stuff shown “accurately”, even though it would seem like “typical Hollywood schmock” to anyone else.

I knew how the battle played out, and I think they did a really good job of getting the sequence of the battle right (the visuals, not so much). I was happy that “other sacrifices” were not left out of the movie (aka Midway ’76). Watching the people in the theater around me during that fateful day, with every allied plane and attack that got shot down, the crowd was getting more and more depressed. Each successive attack that failed, I could sense the crowd getting antsy from their sighs of “damn, damn damn how did we win this battle”. SPOILER ALERT : When the first Dauntless bomb hit the first jap carrier, this young lady in front of me unconsciously fist pumped the air in joy. Me, I wanted to jump up and yell, “That’s right mutha-f**kers, that’s what you get for f**king with us!” LOL.

Hope I didn’t spoil the movie for anyone by telling you that the SBD’s bombs hit the Jap carriers, sank 4 of them, and the US won the battle. :D

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 19
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 12:27:10 PM   
Canoerebel

Ace, you are a gentle man who chose your words very carefully. The "both good and bad" at the start seemed to suggest "mediocre" but the words that followed largely indicated "bad with some redeeming aspects that partially kept it from being awful." If that's a typical review, I'll stay at home and read or watch Mister Roberts or Letters from Iwo Jima.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 20
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 1:20:18 PM   
AcePylut

I would go see it, if for no other reason than to enjoy the meta stuff, and to throw support for WW2 history movies to hopefully get more of them made, so we can get the occasional gem like SPR. I will say it was worth the $25 I spent on the movie, popcorn, and soda. If you want to enjoy it - go in with no or "really low" expectations. I think that's what most folks on our forum have for this movie anyways.

I’ll go see it again with my 14 year old so she can “know a little history”. She did WW2 history already in school, she said ‘the name (Midway) sounds familiar but I don’t really remember what it was about’ --- (yeah that’s about as blasphemous and sacrilegious of a statement as you can get in my family – and my 14 year old is super smart so if she says “it sounds familiar” that means 99% of everyone else will be all “huh, no idea”.). I will say, that after watching this movie, she will “remember” it a lot better than reading it. I don’t have any complaints about it being historically inaccurate. And she will know that war is hell.

There was a lot I liked about it – the historical aspects being all correct. There was a lot I didn’t like… and mostly what I didn’t like was the small scale silliness … like… one of the dive bomber’s wings skimmed the ocean after pulling out of the dive. The plane would have cartwheeled into a ball of fire if that had happened so I rolled my eyes.

One of the Doolittle bombers took off “right through a large wall of water on take-off”. Dramatic? Sure. Unrealistic? Yup. The wall of water would have downed the plane without question so that was dumb. But if you take it up a level to the real question: “Will the Doolittle bombers actually be able to take off???” …. the scene captured that “question” and “drama”. I was happy that they showed actual B25’s on deck. I was happy that they didn’t make Pearl Harbor P-40 fighters pilots fly the B’25’s, lol. I was happy that the Doolittle Raid was shown because it was one of the things that lead to the Japanese decision to go after Midway. The movie didn’t dwell on the raid - it was a nice action interlude from the talky talk parts– and allowed the movie to show us that yes, the Chinese actually contributed to the war (in a way that barely anyone in the US knows.) I.e. the Doolittle Raid got “just the right amount” of screen time for the movie.

Oh yeah: SPOILER ALERT – the US bombed Japan with B-25’s launched off of carriers in April of 1942. :D

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 1:22:17 PM   
AcePylut

And one more thing: SPOILER ALERT: The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in December, 1941.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 22
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 1:44:19 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Hope I didn’t spoil the movie for anyone by telling you that the SBD’s bombs hit the Jap carriers, sank 4 of them, and the US won the battle. :D

US bombed Japan with B-25’s launched off of carriers in April of 1942.

The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in December, 1941

Damn it man stop - you are ruining the Movie for me

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 23
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 3:06:15 PM   
Lecivius

It's not getting favorable reviews.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/reviews/review-midway-turns-the-ww-ii-battle-into-a-cartoon/ar-AAJWTTq?li=BBnb7Kz

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 24
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 3:37:58 PM   
Chickenboy

Rotten Tomatoes has it at a very low 'critics' rating of 38% and a very high 'audience score' of 88%. This bimodal distribution is typical of Hollywood crowd pleasers to which critics turn their collective noses up.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 25
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 3:40:14 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut
I was happy that the Doolittle Raid was shown because it was one of the things that lead to the Japanese decision to go after Midway.

Didn't the original Midway start the movie with film segments from Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo?

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 26
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 4:32:52 PM   
L0ckAndL0ad

Despite sanctions, Midway starts to roll on Nov 14 here (as all other films do eventually). I hate watching movies at the theater, because they're dubbed, and that adds a whole level of insincerity and cheesiness, but I still force myself to watch some. Recent Ad Astra was something worth seeing on a big screen, for example.

Midway's trailer sounds super cheesy already, but I feel like I'd rather endure due to my love for Pacific War than miss out. I'm 98% sure I'm going, but I still keep an eye on reviews.

So, keep them coming. Thanks!

< Message edited by L0ckAndL0ad -- 11/8/2019 4:35:41 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 27
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 4:39:16 PM   
Miller

Well, went to see it, my thoughts *WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS*

The good:

The plot is fairly well played out, a layman would understand the basics of the battle.

They get most of the basic facts right.

The bad:

Some good CGI, on the other hand some very bad CGI, it looked like a computer game but that was to be expected.

Far too long, the PH and Doolitle raid scenes were not necessary and should have been cut.

The average history buff would have noticed all the battle scene errors, for example 20 B26s attacking the Jap fleet rather than the actual 4, TBDs carrying bombs in addition to their torpedoes, Jap AA shooting down about 50 planes whlist in reality it was 3 or 4, the Independence Day style attack on Midway that lasted ten seconds, torpedo 8 going in after torpedo 3 when it was the other way round.

No American fighters of any kind featured at all, either over Midway, or covering the attacks on the Jap fleet or defending the US CVs. Also they acknowledge the effort to get Yorktown into the battle, yet none of her airgroups are featured at all in any of the attacks.

The final attack on the Hiryu was cheesy as hell. "That's for Pearl Harbour!" lol

Overall, pretty much what I expected it to be. Two stars out of five.

< Message edited by Miller -- 11/8/2019 10:33:03 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 4:56:51 PM   
Canoerebel

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 29
RE: Going to see Midway opening night ? - 11/8/2019 5:02:25 PM   
Chickenboy

So, the scorecard thus far:

TMTSNBN: F---

Indianapolis: Men of Courage: F----

Midway: C-/D+

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Going to see Midway opening night ? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI