Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Midway must be good movie.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Midway must be good movie. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/18/2019 1:10:47 PM   
spence

quote:

Torpedoes armed themselves after traveling a short distance so they couldn't accidentally go off.

I think it depended on the motor of the torpedo/propellors turning a certain number of revolutions. They actually showed a TBD starting the motor on its torpedo prior to dropping it (IIRC the dud that hit the Japanese ship during the Marshalls raid).

For surface/sub-surface launches the torpedo had to run a certain number of yards for the revolutions to reach the specified number. IIRC the USS Laffey launched several torpedoes at HIJMS Hiei that failed to arm on the night of 14 Nov 1942.

< Message edited by spence -- 11/18/2019 1:14:24 PM >

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 31
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/18/2019 5:06:58 PM   
fcooke

I think it was 400-500 yards.....

But Laffey was so close the the that the Hiei that the latter could not depress guns to fire on the Laffey - that is way close.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 32
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/18/2019 9:27:38 PM   
rustysi

quote:

RL storys are crazy but that movie and the idea that this guy went from fighters to bomber.

IIRC, Best was a fighter jockey who went to bombers.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 33
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/18/2019 10:27:17 PM   
spence

quote:

IIRC, Best was a fighter jockey who went to bombers.

Wade McClusky went from fighters to bombers (F4F-3 to SBD) when he took over as Commander Air Group. Pretty sure his bomb missed but IIRC all long-term USN pilots trained to fly everything the USN flew pre-war. During the war the training concentrated on a particular type.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 34
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/20/2019 7:45:09 AM   
GaryChildress

I saw a couple previews/trailers for Midway and some of the action scenes look a little over the top like an Indiana Jones movie or something. Also, something about the acting in the clips seemed to make the characters so larger than life that they seem to lose all the characteristics of being real human beings. I'm not much of a fan of the Hollywoodization of history. I'd rather see a documentary than see a Hollywood representation of a RL battle in WW2.

EDIT: But it's nice to see Best get his credit. I don't recall him being represented in the 1970s version of the movie.

< Message edited by GaryChildress -- 11/20/2019 8:00:08 AM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 35
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/20/2019 9:01:12 AM   
GaryChildress

I guess the main thing that puts me off with the trailers is that they also seem to paint the picture that the movie is mostly centered around a single character, in this case, Richard Best. He's definitely one of the great heroes of the battle but I'd rather see it approached along the lines of A Bridge Too Far or Battle of Britain where there is largely no central character but rather we get a sense of how huge the endeavor was with multiple characters, each portraying one of the MANY heroes of the battle. Also wouldn't mind seeing at least a couple leads on the Japanese side of things.

But I suppose it's good for an evening with popcorn and a drink.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 36
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/20/2019 2:05:37 PM   
Big B

Actually having seen the movie, I can tell you categorically that the movie is not the Dick Best story by a long shot.
Follow this IMDB link of the cast, and you will see how many historical characters appear in the film - and all the principal characters get their amount of screen time - certainly enough to tell their tales.
But the emphasis of the action does follow the Enterprise air group (Bombing 6/Scouting 6/Torpedo 6) when not delving into the larger story.

What the film is NOT is a realistic portrayal of WW2 aerial combat - as I said above...it features modern over-the-top action scenes that seems to be today's norm unfortunately.
But the film is far better than it's combat scenes, and frankly I'm surprised these days that a story like this can still be made today.
It's also Not a "woke" film thank God... no angst over modern sensibilities of Hollywood.
Unfortunately it still includes the mythical Yamamoto "sleeping giant" statement.

It's worth seeing...

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

I guess the main thing that puts me off with the trailers is that they also seem to paint the picture that the movie is mostly centered around a single character, in this case, Richard Best. He's definitely one of the great heroes of the battle but I'd rather see it approached along the lines of A Bridge Too Far or Battle of Britain where there is largely no central character but rather we get a sense of how huge the endeavor was with multiple characters, each portraying one of the MANY heroes of the battle. Also wouldn't mind seeing at least a couple leads on the Japanese side of things.

But I suppose it's good for an evening with popcorn and a drink.

< Message edited by Big B -- 11/20/2019 2:11:45 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/20/2019 2:32:54 PM   
BBfanboy

One of my biggest peeves about the CGI is that they went with the Hollywood orange gasoline explosions for every bomb hit. Real military explosives go off with an incandescent flash followed by dirty black/grey smoke. The carriers themselves would have had gasoline fires break out but only after a few seconds interval after the bomb explosion, when oxygen flowed back into the area of the bomb hit.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 38
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/20/2019 3:26:25 PM   
GaryChildress

I was scrolling through reviews of the movie and came across this: https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/11/09/everything-about-blockbuster-midway-sinks-faster-than-japanese-carriers-at-midway/

This is about as scathing as a review can get I think. Interesting.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 39
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/20/2019 5:10:38 PM   
LLT0407

pretty good acting.. tell some parts of the story that was not told in the original but then fails to to tell the full story.. and misses some important facts

6 out of 10

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 40
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/25/2019 5:46:00 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B
What the film is NOT is a realistic portrayal of WW2 aerial combat - as I said above...it features modern over-the-top action scenes that seems to be today's norm unfortunately.
But the film is far better than it's combat scenes, and frankly I'm surprised these days that a story like this can still be made today.
It's also Not a "woke" film thank God... no angst over modern sensibilities of Hollywood.
Unfortunately it still includes the mythical Yamamoto "sleeping giant" statement.

It's worth seeing...

This is heartening to hear. The idea that anyone should expect a depiction of warfare that contains high fidelity to reality is a bit...well...unrealistic. It simply makes little theatrical sense and most of the audience with not appreciate it and, even worse, perhaps find it boring. The more important thing, as you state, is the film beyond its combat scenes. What kind of story it tells and how well it does so. If BigB thinks its worth seeing, I'll look forward to seeing it this weekend.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 41
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/26/2019 6:30:40 AM   
Spikeosx

Saw it with two others and we all three were very disappointed in the movie. There was a lack of details about the amazing things that actually happened leaving no sense of those amazing things in the audience. It also just looked like a hollywood movie and not a historical one. If we wanted to see action shots of CGI bombs dropping or CGI aircraft supposedly shooting, then we would have gone to a fictional movie. The purpose of going to a movie of a battle is to get a sense of the historical battle. Otherwise, just make the movie about a fictional battle.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 42
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 11/26/2019 8:28:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

I was scrolling through reviews of the movie and came across this: https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/11/09/everything-about-blockbuster-midway-sinks-faster-than-japanese-carriers-at-midway/

This is about as scathing as a review can get I think. Interesting.

It's over the top polemic-to-be-funny. Not a real review IMO.

Post #: 43
RE: Midway must be good movie. - 12/3/2019 12:16:23 AM   
dr.hal

What saddens me about war movies in general and obviously about this one as well, is that things happen in history that are unbelievable, or at best, amazing yet that's never enough. Such as in this battle, the US sinking four Japanese CVs. That story unto itself should be enough to make a good movie. I think back to Tora Tora Tora that made an amazing attempt at realism coupled with "natural" drama, and there was plenty of that leading up to the attack. There was no love sick side story or other distractions (to some I guess the word would be "attractions"!) but an adherence to the facts as they were known at the time (1970?). Today however nothing in reality is attractive enough to portray through an honest attempt at realism, it has to be jazzed up. As some have said in this thread, the producers need to "Star Wars" it up (which by the way is another problem, there is NO sound in space, it's a vacuum, again go back to an earlier era, this time 1968 "2001" for some realism that was seen by some as gripping). But I guess it's not worth it unless it makes LOTS of money and to do that you need to give what the vast majority of viewers want, the whole WHIZZ BANG style of movie! Sigh. Sorry, just venting.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Midway must be good movie. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI