Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has anyone tried the new Sound file?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Has anyone tried the new Sound file? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anyone tried the new Sound file? - 6/27/2001 8:04:00 PM   
volz423

Curious how it works, before I download such a large file. :)

Post #: 1
- 6/27/2001 10:48:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Which sound file do you mean, Tom? Some Snd files are essential to running the game. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 2
- 6/27/2001 10:51:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Tom: Curious how it works, before I download such a large file. :)
Tom the new sounds are awesome. I love the sound of a good battle. The quality of the new sound files has me seriously considering putting my PC on a surround sound system. hope that helps, sven

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 3
- 6/27/2001 11:49:00 PM   
David Heath

The new sounds are every sound in the game remastered to be full 16 bit stereo. We are also working on doing one that are also in surround sound but I am have some problem with that. The new Mega Campaign do out in July will have the new sounds included in them.

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 4
- 6/28/2001 3:33:00 AM   
rtr

Hi All Just a word of warning for those with limited HD space. The stereo sounds when installed increase the size of the snd folder from about 250 MBs to nearly 600 MBs. They are worth disk space (if you have it)

Later Rob Reid

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 5
- 6/28/2001 3:47:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

Where can I find the new sounds?

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 6
- 6/28/2001 3:51:00 AM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Mark Ezra: Where can I find the new sounds?
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/SteelPanthersWorldAtWar/Spwaw-Sound-Update.zip

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 7
- 6/28/2001 3:56:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

Thanks, Sven...I'll troop over tonight and DL the sucker!

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 8
- 6/28/2001 4:48:00 AM   
David Heath

The 600 megs is a little off. That is including the video files also. Its a little over 200 zipped. Wavs do not zip up to much so its a little bigger then that.

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 9
- 6/28/2001 4:55:00 AM   
Supervisor

I've got 587 wav clips in my /snd directory equalling 601mb, then the /snd/stream directory has another 125mb of video files. This is all after downloading and replacing the old wav files with the new 16bit stereo ones.

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 10
- 6/28/2001 4:58:00 AM   
David Heath

I stand corrected... Man I didn't know they grew to that size. WOW! Well admit it they do sound really cool.

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 11
- 6/28/2001 12:02:00 PM   
sinner

Is there any way to get them without the installer program? I use SPWaW on Linux, and for some reason, it does not like this extra-sounds installation program. The install program and the patches work great with Linux+WINE. So I do not understand why this new "patch" just plain refuses to work. :confused: Any idea? Anyone that has the files on a ftp server + instructions on how to replace the files?

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 12
- 6/28/2001 7:50:00 PM   
KG Erwin

The new snd folder, after you install it, is embedded in the existing snd folder. What I did was rename the "old" snd folder to snd(old), and then cut the "new" folder and pasted it to the main SPWaW directory.Also, you must cut the stream folder from the "old" snd and paste it into the "new" snd. It's a little cumbersome, but I'm guessing that the self-installer did this on purpose, in order for folks who prefer the "old" sounds to have a choice of sound schemes. I love the newer intro music, but I've noticed that there's a bit of background noise in some of the wav music files that's a bit annoying. The new combat sounds, however, are excellent.

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 13
- 6/28/2001 11:26:00 PM   
Charles2222

If someone doesn't help me with this, I'm just going to have to have a conniption fit. It seems to have got lost in the So What Do You Think thread. Here's what I said:
quote:

Someone see if you can help me here. Everyone keeps talking about 'new sounds'. When I first saw this download I was under the impression that they were not 'new' but were for people who didn't have proper sound cards or what not to make the sound effects sound good. Mine sounded real good, but I decided to move my old sound files and try these. Gave it a small whirl and nothing sounded different, though I didn't go through all the units, just basically listened to vehicle movement and main gun fire. After reading up more through the forums, it seems these really are 'new' sounds. Since my previous download of these files didn't achieve anything I put back the old ones and deleted the new, but after hearing everyone talk like this it makes me wonder if I just haven't caught any of the different sounds, because all I've tried are exactly alike, so I reinstated the new files. Now I'm stuck. Since now I know the new ones are so much larger, I want to go back to the old ones if this really isn't 'new'
Thanks.

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 14
- 6/29/2001 12:04:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Charles_22, it's a matter of taste, I suppose. I can't say for sure how many actual "new" sounds there are, BUT the big difference is that they are all in stereo now. If you set your sound card options for "wide" listening, it sounds like you're in a movie theater. I love 'em. Some may prefer the old "mono" sounds, though.

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 15
- 6/29/2001 12:21:00 AM   
Charles2222

I think mine was on wide in the first place, and still is, but I'll have to check when I get home. I don't know actually if there is such a thing as a wide for me, as I recall moving the icon of speakers around and centering it. Oh well, I'll see.

(in reply to volz423)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Has anyone tried the new Sound file? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI