Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes here Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes here - 11/20/2019 1:16:59 PM   
Dimitris

Hi all,

Tacview allows using also your own custom shapes (for various sim objects), in addition to those provided by Tacview itself (and the custom shapes already provided by WarfareSims).

See the general technical description here: https://www.tacview.net/documentation/3dobjects/en/

You can see the shapes already used by CMO in this folder: [CMO]\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes. The database-to-mesh association is handled by the Excel files "Associations_DB3000.xls" and "Associations_CWDB.xls", located in [CMO]\Resources\Tacview . As you will notice, for many of the database platforms & weapons we have used generic or stand-in models, whereas some units do not have an assigned mesh at all.

So, feel free to submit here your own custom shapes to share with other users.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 11/20/2019 1:19:17 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/21/2019 12:24:36 PM   
AlGrant

Hi,
Hopefully, we'll see some new models made available for use in CMO/Tacview.

I'm a long, long way from being a 3D/CAD expert and this isn't intended to be a guide on how your models should be made/edited/converted, however, I have edited and converted a number of ship, aircraft and vehicle models for use in CMO/Tacview and wanted to pass on a few tips that might help those looking to create models.
....... at very least it could save you a lot of time and frustration - Hopefully it leads to more models available.

This info should be of use to those who want to edit existing models or those with the software and talent to create their own from scratch.
There are many free models available on the web. When it comes to editing and sharing models from the web it's worth checking the terms of usage, however, many are listed 'Free for Personal'/ 'Personal and Commercial' or 'Royalty-Free' usage.

Before starting to create or edit any models it's worth visiting the Tacview website and read the 'What are the restrictions' section here:
https://www.tacview.net/documentation/3dobjects/en/

===================================================================================
Before you start editing your Associations files or existing models ... BACK THEM UP!
It's better to Back It Up before you Mess It Up!

===================================================================================

The main things to keep in mind are file format, file size, orientation.

File format:
Tacview uses Wavefront .obj format - nothing else is going to work, so any mesh you find will need to be in this format or converted to it.
The mesh itself should be 100% Triangular meshes and no Quads - Quads won't render correctly in Tacview.

File size: - Smaller is better!

The Tacview website advises keeping models below 4000 triangles per object - this isn't as many as it may sound.
I have edited and currently use models with more than this but have certainly found that there are limitations with file size.
For file size, we are not talking Mb but a few hundred Kb!

I found the least impact if I keep the finished model below 1mb, but the lower the better.
During some tests I found that a 4mb model would work - eventually- but the 3D window can take over a minute to load.

Orientation:
If you get the orientation wrong then it's easy to get a nice, working model that will fly backwards!
The Tacview website tells you -Z Forward, Y Up - again looking at an existing model in your preferred software can help.

Scale:
This isn't critical as Tacview will handle most of the scaling of the meshes depending on what data CMO sends it, however, it never hurts to give it a helping hand and I tried to scale the models I edited so that the models were around the same size as existing ship/aircraft models.

The best way I found for getting an idea of orientation and scale in the 3D program I use (Rhino 5) was to open up one of the existing models and have a look at one that is known to work

When looking at what to add on your own models or get rid of on existing ones there are a few things to consider .....

Textures: Tacview won't use them, so don't bother with all those pretty paint schemes!

Animation: Tacview won't show any animations.

Detail:
When looking to reduce file size much of the finer detail is going to have to go.

Ships:
Propellers can contain a lot of meshes and removing them helps reduce file size.
Do you really need to see things guardrails or the Rhib on the back.

Vehicles:
They often have tool racks on the back and drive shafts underneath - some even have individual nuts & bolts on the wheels.

Aircraft:
If it has wheels/undercarriage they are probably best removed ... unless they are normally deployed during flight.
Sometimes you'll need to fill the gaps where the wheels would normally be retracted.
Propellers - these won't be animated so will just show as 'fixed' - you may want to add a semi-transparent disc like the default Tacview models.

Oh and Don't forget to look inside the model for detail that will be hidden when rendered in Tacview.
I've found vehicles with steering wheels, aircraft with full cockpit controls and crew (cockpits will not render as transparent), subs with full missile tubes and an amphibious landing ship with 4 fully detailed LCAC models sitting inside the dock!

This isn't a definitive list but should give you an idea of how to proceed ......
If you have any other tips that could make it easier for people to produce models then please post ... if nothing else it might help me :-)

Looking forward to seeing some new meshes.

Al

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 2
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/21/2019 12:51:44 PM   
AlGrant

OV-10 Bronco

As an example - here's a quick edit/conversion I did this morning:

There is an OV-10 Bronco model on 3D warehouse here:
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/de7cc3442b1775d46559a92f80e3672e/North-American-OV-10-Bronco?login=true#
T&C's of use here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/tos/

The file size says 3mb, but that's the .zip size and the extracted Collada file is over 6mb.
A quick conversion to .Obj (without any editing or mesh reduction/simplification) comes in a little over 4mb.
Once Quads are converted to Triangles the model contains over 81,579 triangular polygons.
Remember we're looking for a file size below 1mb (or 4,000 polygons)!

1 Wheel is over 17,000 polygons
Lifting the cockpit off this model reveals some of that hidden detail that Tacview won't make use of.

Remove the wheels and internal cockpit detail and we can quickly bring the size down to 1.6mb and 14,685 polygons.
Some mesh simplification and reduction and this comes down to a 344kb .obj file
Adding in the semi-transparent propeller disc and we end up with a file size of 349k and although still over 13,000 polygons a
quick test shows that it appears to work well in Tacview.
A bit more work and the file size could probably come down a bit more.

Of course, you can fill up the hardpoints with weapons but that adds to the file size.

To get the model to show up in CMO/Tacview we need to copy the model to the mesh directory:
Rescources/Tacview/Data/Meshes

Then edit the relevant Associations file. Back it up before you mess it up!
They're in the CMO directory Rescources/Tacview.

Open the Associations_DB3000.xls file and in the Aircraft tab you'll find lines 3589 - 3600 cover variations of the OV-10 Bronco.
Enter the file name of the new mesh (Column F) and then save and exit and you should be all ready to go.

*You may also want to do the same to the CWDB Associations file

If you only see a small square in the 3D window, check the model and Associations file names are an exact match.

A copy of this mesh is included in the attached zip file

=== Edit as it looks like the zip file didn't attach ====

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AlGrant -- 11/21/2019 3:42:16 PM >

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 3
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/22/2019 1:44:09 PM   
AlGrant

DDG1000 Zumwalt Tacview model.

Watercraft.DDG1000.obj

Copy the file to CMO Rescources/Tacview/Data/Meshes and edit the Associationss_DB3000.xls [Ship tab - Line 1091] as appropriate.

Al

Attachment (1)

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 4
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/23/2019 1:33:06 PM   
AlGrant

SAAB J35 Draken JA37 Viggen JAS39 Gripen models for Tacview.

Copy the file to CMO Rescources/Tacview/Data/Meshes and edit the Associationss_DB3000.xls as appropriate.

Hope they're of some use....

Al

Attachment (1)

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 5
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/23/2019 1:34:10 PM   
Dimitris

Thanks!

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 6
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/23/2019 1:52:48 PM   
MirabelleBenou

Hello !

For people looking for tools to add new models (or even create them from start to end), you can use SketchUp, but, I think it's better to use Blender. Because of some usefull modifier and export option that fit well for Tacview models.

Blender may be a bit overwhelming at first sight, but the latest release really made it more friendly.

You can download it here on https://www.blender.org/

You can also find some really nice video tutorial on CG Cookie youtube channel.

After being more confident with Blender, you will want to export your model. But as Al said, size matter.

So, before, you can add a modifier "Decimate". This one will highly reduce the number of poly.

For example, we have here a model with lot of faces :

You can add the modifier :

And then, change it's ratio value to reduce the number of faces :

You'll see in realtime the impact on the mesh.

After that, you'll have to export to OBJ file :

Use those export option (really important !!) :

And there you go !

Another point to check, is the orientation of the mesh :

Enjoy :)

Feel free to ask if you have any question or problem with Blender.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 7
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/24/2019 11:48:29 AM   
AlGrant

Spruance Class & OH Perry models available for Tacview if anybody requires them...

[/quote]

The Spruance will also work for the Kidd class.
The OH Perry will work for a number of countries that operated variants of this class

Update Associations files for DB3000 and CWDB as required.

Al

..... now it's time to actually go play some CMO!

Attachment (1)

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 8
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/26/2019 4:23:07 PM   
Scar79

My first ever made 3D-model: SS-N-26 ASM. Not sure how correct dimensions etc, but more-or-less, it works. And thanks to Al Grant from CMO-group on FB for his wisdom which he shared with me.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Scar79 -- 11/26/2019 4:54:36 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 9
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/26/2019 4:47:18 PM   
AlGrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scar79
My first ever made 3D-model: SS-N-26 ASM. Not sure how correct dimensions etc

Not tried it in CMO yet but checked the 3D model in Rhino5 and it all looks good.
Scaling, file size and orientation etc are fine - can't see any issues with it.

Good job

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Scar79)
Post #: 10
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/26/2019 4:53:02 PM   
Scar79

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlGrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scar79
My first ever made 3D-model: SS-N-26 ASM. Not sure how correct dimensions etc

Not tried it in CMO yet but checked the 3D model in Rhino5 and it all looks good.
Scaling, file size and orientation etc are fine - can't see any issues with it.

Good job

Glad to hear it, Al! And thank you again!))

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 11
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 11/29/2019 8:34:12 PM   
lamarax

With all due respect to the efforts of individual authors, can we get an aggregate going? Just like the days with the db images compilation

(in reply to Scar79)
Post #: 12
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/4/2019 8:29:18 AM   
AlGrant

A few more Tacview models for anybody who might want them....

F-105 Thunderchief

A-29 Super Tuccano

Wildcat

MQ-8 Fire scout

MQ-4 Global Hawk

Virginia class SSN

Vanguard class SSBN

DDH280 Iroquois class

City/Town/Village Marker - default marker is just a square

All tested in CMO / Tacview 1.8.1

Attachment (1)

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 13
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/4/2019 9:50:45 AM   
Dimitris

Thanks!

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 14
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/4/2019 10:21:26 PM   
Dragnaath

Awesome. Thanks so much AlGrant

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 15
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/5/2019 1:09:17 PM   
Scar79

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlGrant

A few more Tacview models for anybody who might want them....

Great models, Al!

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 16
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/5/2019 3:13:08 PM   
lamarax

Well, since I's the one to make the request above, I figured I should be the first to cast the stone; here are all of AlGrant's models to date collated and associated inside both .xml files.

Thank you Al!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 17
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/6/2019 5:18:11 PM   
magi

you guys are great..... thank you....

(in reply to lamarax)
Post #: 18
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/29/2019 6:36:02 PM   
BogdanM

SA 330 Puma

Copy Rotorcraft.SA330.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls and Associations_CWDB.xls, search for "SA.330" and replace the mesh name with Rotorcraft.SA330.obj

This is the first 3d model I edit so it's a bit rough around the edges.

Sorry, no preview picture because I don't have 10 posts yet.

Original model: "Aérospatiale SA 330 "Puma"by mandun from 3D Warehouse.

EDIT: I've cleaned the model a bit and uploaded the new version.

Google Drive link with the latest version of every model.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ICDXc_colRYSO1thYI31e4GzJuJFdOBA
Image album with all the released models
https://imgur.com/a/hunHXuG

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BogdanM -- 1/18/2020 7:53:13 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 19
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/31/2019 4:36:54 PM   
BogdanM

HMS Astute (S119)

Copy Watercraft.Astute.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls, search for "Astute" and replace the mesh name with Watercraft.Astute.obj

This model is made by me.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BogdanM -- 1/18/2020 7:53:41 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 20
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 12/31/2019 5:02:27 PM   
Dimitris

Thanks!

(in reply to BogdanM)
Post #: 21
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 1/3/2020 5:39:15 PM   
BogdanM

AW101 Merlin

Copy Rotorcraft.Merlin.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls, search for "Merlin" and replace the mesh name with Rotorcraft.Merlin.obj

Original model was "merlin helicopter" by special_boy from 3D Warehouse.

HMS Trafalgar (S107)

Copy Watercraft.Trafalgar.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls, search for "Trafalgar" and replace the mesh name with Watercraft.Trafalgar.obj

This model is made by me.

SH-3 Sea King

Copy Rotorcraft.Seaking.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls and Associations_CWDB.xls, search for "Sea King" and replace the mesh name with Rotorcraft.Seaking.obj

Original model was "SH-3 Sea King" by Lazarus S from 3D Warehouse.

I've also fixed the Astute model, it was missing part of the rudder. The file is in the previous post.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BogdanM -- 1/18/2020 7:53:59 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 22
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 1/5/2020 2:34:16 PM   
BogdanM

Project 885M (Yazen)

Copy Watercraft.Project 885M.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls, search for "Yazen" and replace the mesh name with Watercraft.Project 885M.obj

Original model was "АПЛ пр.885" by SAElin. S from 3D Warehouse.

Project 955A (Borei)

Copy Watercraft.Project 955.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls, search for "Borey" and replace the mesh name with Watercraft.Project 955A.obj

Original model was "РПКСН пр.955" by SAElin. S from 3D Warehouse.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BogdanM -- 1/18/2020 7:54:11 AM >

(in reply to BogdanM)
Post #: 23
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 1/7/2020 5:20:49 PM   
BogdanM

SH-60 Seahawk

Copy Rotorcraft.SH-60.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls, search for "Seahawk" and replace the mesh name with Rotorcraft.SH-60.obj

I've just added some details on the original UH-60 model from Tacview.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BogdanM -- 1/18/2020 7:54:27 AM >

(in reply to BogdanM)
Post #: 24
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 1/17/2020 3:55:04 PM   
BogdanM

Westland Lynx

Copy Rotorcraft.Lynx.obj inside "Command - Modern Operations\Resources\Tacview\Data\Meshes"
Open Associations_DB3000.xls and Associations_CWDB.xls, search for "Lynx" and replace the mesh name with Rotorcraft.Lynx.obj

I've edited the Wildcat model uploaded by AlGrant, if there's any issue I'll remove the file.

P.S. I've reached over 10 posts and waited another 7 days but I can't figure out how to add an image and an attachment to my post at the same time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BogdanM -- 1/18/2020 7:50:43 AM >

(in reply to BogdanM)
Post #: 25
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 1/24/2020 8:41:48 PM   
BogdanM

I've added two new models to Google drive:
HSwMS Gotland
Original model was "HMS Gotland (Gtd)" by Johan H. from 3D Warehouse
SSN Nautilus
Original model was "USS SSN-571 Nautilus" by Lazarus S. from 3D Warehouse

< Message edited by BogdanM -- 1/24/2020 8:44:44 PM >

(in reply to BogdanM)
Post #: 26
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 1/25/2020 8:19:39 AM   
serjames

Quick question, are these unofficial models being added to the main game ? I don't have excel on this box, so editing sheets is not something I can do. However I would love to be able to use these new models :-)

(in reply to BogdanM)
Post #: 27
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 1/30/2020 7:00:59 PM   
BogdanM

quote:

ORIGINAL: serjames

Quick question, are these unofficial models being added to the main game ? I don't have excel on this box, so editing sheets is not something I can do. However I would love to be able to use these new models :-)

That seems to be the case, in the latest update many of the models posted here were included in the patch. Which is great btw since otherwise you have to manually edit the databases every time a new version is released.

(in reply to serjames)
Post #: 28
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 4/18/2020 10:59:26 AM   
pclaurent

French subs collection:

* Agosta
* Rubis mod 1 (before 1991)
* Rubis mod 2 (from 1991)
* Triomphant

(The stock models for Redoutable and Suffren/Barracuda are fine and don't need to be replaced, in my opinion).

And, as a bonus: fish school...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BogdanM)
Post #: 29
RE: Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes... - 4/18/2020 2:06:20 PM   
pclaurent

Le Triomphant goes fishing...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pclaurent)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Tacview 3D shapes thread - Share your custom shapes here Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI