Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM Tech-support question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> PBEM Tech-support question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM Tech-support question - 7/8/2003 9:33:35 PM   
Vathailos

And sorry if this is the wrong forum folks. I think Dwayne posted one of our problems here already, and this is along the same lines.

Some of my completed turns I send to him are “corrupt” apparently. After the first incident, I started waiting a full 30 seconds, while on the first [I]exit[/I] screen (where you are defaulted to when you quit your turn), to let the game save completely (even though I didn’t see any HD activity via the activity light).

And I’ve since had another corrupt turn sent to him. Re-playing turns is something I hate, not because of the hassle, but because I feel it’s unfair, I now know where his units are, they may not OP fire as well, etc.

I take painstaking precautions to make sure that the re-play is the same as the original turn (I’ll sacrifice vehicles or abandon them if an OP-shot misses on the re-play but hit on the original turn, for example), and I’ll set my arty and move my units exactly as I did my first turn, but it’s a hassle!

Is it possible that the following is “corrupting” my saves?

While playing, I’ve been getting notifications of intrusion attempts from my firewall program that pops me out of SPW@W. I close the notification window, and click on the program to “un-minimize it” and resume the game. Is it possible that this popping in and out of the game is somehow corrupting my PBEM campaign?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

~Vath
Post #: 1
- 7/8/2003 9:46:41 PM   
Voriax

Vath, how about 'simulating' pbem game in your own machine? Just play both sides yourself but do everything like you'd play pbem. This way you could see if the corruption happens in your machine or during the emailing?
I doubt that your firewall is the problem, unless said window pops up during the save.

Again, just my guesses.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 2
- 7/25/2003 9:25:29 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I had 'corrupted file' problems when I started playing PBEM. It turned out that I wasn't allowing the game enough time to save the files before exiting the save screen. Try this: Once you click on the save slot you want to save your game to and the game goes back to the save screen, count to twenty slowly before exiting the screen or doing anything else. It worked for me, perhaps it will for you.

I hope this helps!

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 3
- 7/25/2003 10:38:02 AM   
chief

Val: You solved your own problem, it's the firewall. SPWAW is a primadona she wants the whole machine/computer to herself. When I played PBEM (not much) I had to turn off all unused background running processes. Try turning them all off and bring the ones you absolutely cannot live without on line one at a time, then you'll catch the culprit. Mine was my virus scanner, so now if I pbem, it's off with the scanner. Hope This Helps:D :) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 4
- 7/25/2003 4:24:33 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

To add to Chief's post, if you have an anti-virus program, such as McAfee, you need to disable it while playing PBEM.

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 5
corrupt files - 7/29/2003 11:22:32 PM   
Wombat63

Its a while since i did a pbem but i seemto remember that with all the saved files i had from a game if the wrong one was uploaded the same thing happened. ie i was the newbie who mixed up the old files with the new when they were the same name. a case of finger fault local not with the machine. make sure your opponets or yourself kills old one or renames the files as turn 1 , turn 2.
wombat.
(i'm turning 40 so the memory is going):)

Wombat eats roots shoots and leaves much like a soldier when you think about it!!

(in reply to Vathailos)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> PBEM Tech-support question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI