Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 11/30/2019 7:13:45 PM   
pzgndr

I have made some minor adjustments to my A3R mod. A few things were annoying me, and I also wanted to verify the v1.16.02 update maintained play balance. Attached is the 1939 campaign.

quote:

=================================================================
Advanced Third Reich for Strategic Command WWII: War In Europe, v1.3
=================================================================

DATA CHANGES
- restored Palestine and Trans-Jordan as separate minor countries (the aesthetics are more important than 10 BRPs)

SCRIPT CHANGES
- fixed TYPE=2 error for US continuous reinforcements to Morcocco
- adjusted amphibious_minor and transport_minor scripts for German intervention in Norway
- deleted transport script and added unit script for arrival of Rommel HQ in Tripoli

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 11/30/2019 7:14:33 PM   
pzgndr

Attached here is the 1941 scenario.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 2
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 11/30/2019 7:36:28 PM   
pzgndr

As I said, this minor update cleans up a few things. Germany's amphibious invasion of Norway scripting and transport scripting to get Rommel to North Africa were sometimes problematic; these are fixed for the Axis AI. And I missed having Palestine and Trans-Jordan.

I would also like to share a few thoughts about A3R, as a grand strategy WWII ETO wargame. Having playtested both Strategic Command WWII War in Europe and recently WarPlan, the notable difference is that A3R is much simpler and easier to play. Both WIE and WarPlan have large orders of battle and shorter turns, approaching a "grand operational" level with more detail and more complexity. While many players want and appreciate this, many other players simply do not have enough time or patience to play such games. Additionally, the increased complexity makes it difficult to provide a challenging computer opponent, something else that many players want for solitaire gaming. So, although A3R is more abstract, it is quite playable with both Axis and Allied AI providing a challenging computer opponent. The Third Reich Historical Notes from the original boardgame are timeless and are provided here and with the download files. My final comment is for players who may never have tried the Third Reich or Advanced Third Reich boardgames or my A3R adaptation mod, and/or may be overwhelmed by WIE and WarPlan. Please try my A3R mod and see what you think. Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 12/29/2019 3:11:12 PM   
Batavian

Thanks. I will give this update a try. Thank you for your dedication and hard work.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 4
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 1/17/2020 10:49:20 PM   
JawBreaker

All Hail pzgndr!

I kid you not .. I'm going through a real messy divorce over the last 18 months (it seems like this will never end) and there's been times when I felt like putting a barrel in my mouth and spraying some spaghetti sauce all over the wall behind me.

Instead, I play this mod.

And it absorbs me and I make it through one more day.

When you are working on this .. and you get frustrated .. or if you feel like it doesn't make any difference or nobody plays it or it's just a waste of time ... I dunno if it's actually true because I never really got to *THAT* edge because of this mod but ..

Your efforts .. your work .. your excellence and knowledge of the subject matter and sheer brilliance in creating a viable opponent to engage and plan against .. well, you just might have saved one man's life because of those efforts.

This is not a joke nor an exaggeration.

Divorce after 15 years of marriage is one hell of a thing. Especially for a man. For a woman? Hey, the ugliest, fattest woman at the bar will EVENTUALLY find some sad sack that will, in fact, take her home.

And that's just the way the world works.

For men?

You got a big wallet, you got love and life and a great existence.

But, if a computer comes along and automates you out of a career .. well, remove plastic from main entree.

I can't express to you in any authentic and deeper way my true gratitude for your efforts on this nor request, nee plead, in a more vivid fashion that you keep going and refine it further and further.

I still have the child custody phase to endure and, bud .. I'm gonna need ya.

True & Honest, and with all I have, I say unto you:

Thanks, my friend.

Thank you so much for this.

JB

(in reply to Batavian)
Post #: 5
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 1/17/2020 11:23:40 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: JawBreaker
Your efforts .. your work .. your excellence and knowledge of the subject matter and sheer brilliance in creating a viable opponent to engage and plan against .. well, you just might have saved one man's life because of those efforts.

Wow. That's a heck of an endorsement but I'll take it. I remember you PM'd me a couple years ago. Good to hear you're hanging in there and that somehow my nefarious AI scripting keeps you coming back for more.

So yeah, I also went through a divorce after 30 years and it truly is a hell of a thing for us guys. Been remarried now for 5 years. Hang in there, keep driving on, and sooner or later life changes for the better.

Regarding viable computer opponent. We all hear about how it can't be done for this scale of game, yada yada yada. I humbly disagree and that was my motivation to do it. Thank you for playing A3R and acknowledging my efforts!

(in reply to JawBreaker)
Post #: 6
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 2/22/2020 4:39:55 PM   
Franciscus

Indeed, your mod is great !

Are you planning to release a new version for patch 1.27 ?

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 7
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 2/25/2020 2:46:53 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franciscus
Are you planning to release a new version for patch 1.27 ?

No plans at this point. I don't see anything in the change log that would adversely affect anything? Some modest AI improvements that might help maybe.

Realistically, maybe after I get the next Empires in Arms update officially released I may relook A3R. If anyone spots some bugs or issues then that would be something to consider.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 8
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 3/4/2020 8:20:56 PM   
PHalen

Thanks & kudos for your fine A3R mod that I’ve been curious about for years and finally took for a spin.
And I became hooked!

As an AI player only with irregular time slots for gaming, I’m really enjoying the overview & fast gaming pace of the A3R mod. I was expecting more of a “beer & pretzel” experience but am impressed by how you’ve managed to create an engaging combo of simplicity & some maintained depth while providing variations and plenty of distinct 3R nostalgia!

The variants are great fun!
In my first game as Axis, first Norway turned Allied (so…?) Then as I created Vichy, both Algeria and Syria turned Free French (ehh…OK). And then again in December 1941 - as I was heavily committed in Russia - Spain & Turkey both turned Allied on the same turn and rolled into France & Bulgaria respectively (WHAT???) I suppose that’s because I had completely ignored Diplomacy…?
In another game as Axis (intent on not ignoring Diplomacy), Belgium turned Allied on the first turn & rolled into Cologne as I was away in Poland.
The variants not only provide intriguing “what-if” alternatives, but I feel they also keep me on my toes as I never quite know what might happen.

Although initially intended for personal use, I’ve made some graphical editing of your A3R mod that I’ll mail across to you for consideration if you may find some concepts worth exploring/tweaking for implementation.

Cheers & thanks again for a very well made & entertaining mod indeed!

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 9
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 3/6/2020 2:30:17 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: PHalen
Thanks & kudos for your fine A3R mod...
The variants are great fun!
The variants not only provide intriguing “what-if” alternatives, but I feel they also keep me on my toes as I never quite know what might happen.

Thank you!

Although I scripted all of the AI and events, to be as faithful to the boardgame as possible plus some, even I get surprised when I get to play. In fairness, some of the "what-ifs" are more improbable than not (like Belgium attacking into Germany) but most all of these are just minor distractions and deviations from the historical ebb and flow of the war. And yeah, if you play with diplomacy you need to watch what the AI is doing and keep up!

(in reply to PHalen)
Post #: 10
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 4/17/2020 11:20:22 PM   
lordhoff

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Realistically, maybe after I get the next Empires in Arms update officially released I may relook A3R. If anyone spots some bugs or issues then that would be something to consider.

OK, you linked me here when I bumped an old post. Now I see you're working on another old favorite of mine. I tried the MATRIX PC version but, well, I was greatly disappointed. If I can dig up the old hard copy and when you release this, I'll check it out.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 11
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 4/18/2020 12:00:33 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordhoff
OK, you linked me here when I bumped an old post. Now I see you're working on another old favorite of mine. I tried the MATRIX PC version but, well, I was greatly disappointed. If I can dig up the old hard copy and when you release this, I'll check it out.

Whoa, you're not going to get yourself into the "Advanced Third Reich - Empires in Arms Vortex" are you? It's too late for me; save yourself! LOL

But seriously, the A3R v1.3 mod is available and I should be posting the v1.23.05 hotfix for EIA tomorrow. Still the Matrix PC version, but with lots of improvements.

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 12
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 4/18/2020 10:55:20 PM   
lordhoff

Looks like it. :)

I'm rather glad I don't need Third Reich PC too - I found one on Amazon $115. Much more then I was willing to pay.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 13
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 5/3/2020 6:17:21 PM   
TangSooDo

I'v been playing this and new versions as they've become available. Yes, it's clean, it's relatively simple, very playable and nuanced enough to keep on playing. It's a great mod. The one thing I find pretty unrealistic, and I confess I don't remember how this plays in the original boardgame, is the ability of fleets to do significant damage to land or air units on a coast. It just seems a bit excessive.

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 14
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 5/5/2020 2:18:33 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: TangSooDo
The one thing I find pretty unrealistic, and I confess I don't remember how this plays in the original boardgame, is the ability of fleets to do significant damage to land or air units on a coast. It just seems a bit excessive.

The boardgame restricted shore bombardment to only support seaborne invasions, and not for exploitation attacks or any other hex not under attack by seaborne invasion. This is one of those issues with the SC game mechanics; if you allow some shore bombardment capability then naval units are free to bombard anywhere. Ditto for air ground support, which should be restricted to supporting ground attacks and not able to freely attack any units anywhere (and ultimately being able to destroy land units with either air or naval attack).

So the issue boils down to whether air and naval attacks are 'too' powerful by themselves or not. On my other v1.4 discussion thread I mentioned that I might reconsider Tac Bombers and knock them down a notch for ground attack. Maybe also reconsider Fleets. My nagging concern is that even a 1 factor reduction might be too much, but maybe not?

(in reply to TangSooDo)
Post #: 15
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 5/13/2020 7:57:30 AM   
steevodeevo

thanks for the continued support.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 16
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 7/1/2020 3:52:21 PM   
yammahoper

Wow. An A3R mod?

My hands are sweating in anticipation. Thank you good sir!

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to steevodeevo)
Post #: 17
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 11/18/2020 5:05:37 PM   
OxfordGuy3

Does this version of the Mod work with the current 1.18 SC WiE version?

(in reply to yammahoper)
Post #: 18
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 11/18/2020 5:23:40 PM   
OxfordGuy3

Also - is there a way to get this to work with Welk's Boardgame map mod? If so, which files should/shouldn't be copied to the _Advanced Third Reich 1939 Campaign v1.3 folder?

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 19
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 11/21/2020 9:13:48 PM   
Batavian

Yes (works with 1.18) and yes (works with boardgame mod).

Boardgame mod installation instructions...
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4193147

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 20
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 12/30/2020 8:03:00 PM   
stormbringer3

If I start playing v1.2 what is the recommended AI setting?
Thanks.

(in reply to Batavian)
Post #: 21
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 12/31/2020 2:24:23 PM   
Batavian

quote:

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

If I start playing v1.2 what is the recommended AI setting?
Thanks.

How new to the game are you? Intermediate is where I would start. The AI is not very challenging. Increase difficultly as needed. Enjoy!

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 22
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 12/31/2020 3:49:15 PM   
stormbringer3

Thank you for the reply. I'm not new to the game, that's why I was looking at something a lttle different. How do you compare the AI in this vs. the AI in the regular Campaign?
Thanks again.

(in reply to Batavian)
Post #: 23
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 1/5/2021 3:01:58 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Batavian
Intermediate is where I would start. The AI is not very challenging. Increase difficultly as needed. Enjoy!

I have tried to achieve balance with my Event and AI scripting so that my default AI-vs-AI playtests are reasonably historic such that Allies usually defeat Axis sometime in 1945. Maybe for a victory and maybe not.

To play against the AI with some of its generic weaknesses, Intermediate is required at minimum. For more challenge, Expert is recommended with +1 or even +2 settings. I usually play at Expert +1 for a decent game. +2 is annoying.

(in reply to Batavian)
Post #: 24
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 1/8/2021 3:08:26 PM   
stormbringer3

Thank you for the reply. When you pick the veteran setting you get the +1 settings you mention and 10% MPPs. On expert you get +2 settings and 20% MPPs. So do you mean pick +1 settings and 20% MPPs? Is there a thread or a info page about what's in your mod that's different from the basegame?
If you'd like I can start a new thread to ask questions.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 1/9/2021 10:13:42 AM >

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 25
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 1/14/2021 7:48:42 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Thank you for the reply. When you pick the veteran setting you get the +1 settings you mention and 10% MPPs. On expert you get +2 settings and 20% MPPs. So do you mean pick +1 settings and 20% MPPs? Is there a thread or a info page about what's in your mod that's different from the basegame?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant Expert and +1 Experience (see screenshot). It will normally default to +2 at Expert. That's too much. +1.5 is even a tad much for me. These are difficulty setting you can fiddle with until you find something "just right" for you. The Spotting advantage gives the generic AI more info to work with to (hopefully) make better decisions. The Experience advantage helps the AI in combats and can become brutal.

In my early mod versions with SC2, I gave units level 3 for Elite and Experience, but found that Germans would gain enough bonuses in Russia 1941-42 that it was damned near impossible for the Russians to push back. So now units can gain up to level 2 experience but no elite status for additional reinforcement. Seems to work fine.

BTW, I am nearing completion on my Empires in Arms work for an upcoming patch. I hope to shift gears back to WWII for a bit and work on A3R v1.4.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 1/17/2021 7:12:58 PM   
stormbringer3

Thank you very much.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 27
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 4/15/2021 11:45:09 AM   
pkloop

Is there an instruction booklet somewhere? Or is this mod only for those that have played and understand ATR?

Post #: 28
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 4/20/2021 2:26:04 PM   
stormbringer3

I've played this on and off. There is no need to have ATR knowledge since it uses Strategic Command engine and functions. You'll learn some of the differences as you play.

(in reply to pkloop)
Post #: 29
RE: Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update - 4/24/2021 8:50:40 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: pkloop
Is there an instruction booklet somewhere? Or is this mod only for those that have played and understand ATR?

Here's a copy of the Design Notes provided with the mod. The Introduction says it all:

quote:

This is an adaptation of Avalon Hill's 1992 board game ADVANCED THIRD REICH (A3R), the
sequel to THE RISE AND DECLINE OF THE THIRD REICH originally designed by John Prados
in the 1970s. The term "adaptation" is used loosely here because, frankly, while many
features are more or less faithful recreations of A3R, there are many other features that are
not. This adaptation has roughly the same map scale, the same force pools and scenario
orders of battle, and the same relative economic production and unit costs. The scale and
scope is essentially the same, so veteran players familiar with A3R should feel right at home
– right down to the customized military unit icons. However, many things are different and
players may notice elements of the Strategic Command (SC) series, Clash of Steel (COS), A
World at War (AWAW), World in Flames (WiF), European Theater of Operations (ETO),
Blitzkrieg General (BG) and the more recent John Prados' Third Reich (JP3R). Gameplay
itself is fundamentally different because the game mechanics of SC are significantly different
than those of the A3R board game. Thus, this adaptation is a melting pot of sorts for the
World War Two ETO grand strategy game genre.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pkloop)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Advanced Third Reich mod v1.3 for v1.16.02 Update Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI