Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Norman Scott is the MAN!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Norman Scott is the MAN!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Norman Scott is the MAN!!! - 7/10/2003 1:15:29 AM   
thantis

Just had a wonderful encounter with a Japanese bombardment task force at Lunga. They brought 2 BB's (Nagato & Mutsu), and 8 Destroyers - while I had one Heavy Cruiser (the Pensecola), one light cruiser and seventeen destroyers (almost my entire surface fleet at the time).

Up to this point, there had been little or no surface combat - lots of air battles (a couple big CV encounters) - almost all of my CA's were back at Pearl, and I was just in the beginning phases of building up Lunga & had three separate convoys ready to off-load.

I didn't have the chance to hit the task force on the way in with airpower (very poor weather that turn) & put my surface task force together. Usually I use Lee in my surface combat groups, but I wanted to see if Scott would use more torpedoes & fight a little differently (given that I lacked big guns for a slug-fest).

Turns out I got a slug-fest anyway. The combat (at night) started at 4000 yards, and we went through five separate encounters, 4000 yards, 6000 yards, back to 4000 yards, 4000 yards, and finally 8000 yards.

Norman lost six destroyers, but he also sank the Nagato, crippled the Mutsu, and also sank seven of the eight Japanese destroyers. Most of the rest of my ships suffered some damage (the CA & CL, along with six destroyers are heading back to Pearl). But Norman kicked some major butt. I have never had a surface encounter last as long, especially when I was completely outgunned by both Japanese battleships.

I will be looking to Norman again - seems to be an excellent fighter.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon.....
Post #: 1
- 7/10/2003 5:38:33 PM   
Subchaser

Japanese were surprised or Scott had crossed the T?

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 2
- 7/10/2003 7:41:07 PM   
thantis

Actually, it was a head-to-head duel. No surprise, no one crossed the T. They just looked each other right in the eye & proceeded to blow the crap out of each other.

Lucky for Norman (and me!) that he got the better of the fight and both sides hung in there for all twelve rounds....it was a brutal fight, but darn if Mr. Scott didn't just shell the Jap to oblivion.

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 3
- 7/12/2003 3:00:41 AM   
madflava13

Thats a great battle... What put the BBs down?

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 4
- 7/12/2003 3:19:06 AM   
thantis

A mk15 torpedo from a destroyer.....since I had 15 of them (destroyers I mean), they managed to put 3 into Nagato's tough hide. She went down right after the last volley.

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 5
RE: surface action - Norman Scott is the MAN!!! - 1/29/2007 11:33:38 PM   
XG76

How to observe the individual actions & phases of a surface encounter in UV??? or are there even separate controls to "adjust" the outcome of such a clash? The only thing I´m really missing in UV is that depth of order, when compared to my former favourite game regarding this theatre: QQP´s vintage 1993 "Battles of the south pacific". It would be a delight if I could give Tanaka Raizo detailed orders for battle... Or at least to be able to lean back and enjoy 16 inchers smashin´ hard and Long Lancers homing... ;)

Ralf

quote:

ORIGINAL: thantis

Turns out I got a slug-fest anyway. The combat (at night) started at 4000 yards, and we went through five separate encounters, 4000 yards, 6000 yards, back to 4000 yards, 4000 yards, and finally 8000 yards.

I have never had a surface encounter last as long, especially when I was completely outgunned by both Japanese battleships.

< Message edited by XG76 -- 1/30/2007 12:28:42 AM >

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 6
RE: surface action - Norman Scott is the MAN!!! - 1/30/2007 3:05:54 AM   
tocaff

Lucky for you the battle was fought at such close quarters!

(in reply to XG76)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Norman Scott is the MAN!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI