Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Update v4.1.0.40

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Update v4.1.0.40 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 12:26:45 PM   
Daniele

TOAW IV has been updated to version 4.1.0.40.

You can download the update from here

Mirror links:
http://ftp.us.matrixgames.com/pub/TheOperationalArtOfWarIV/TheOperationalArtofWar4-UpdateComp-v4.1.0.40.zip
http://ftp.eu.matrixgames.com/pub/TheOperationalArtOfWarIV/TheOperationalArtofWar4-UpdateComp-v4.1.0.40.zip

4.1.0.40 Changelog

BUG FIXES:
1. Equipment Editor AP values for Air Equipment fixed (x2 instead of x8).
2. Situation Report VP Award values are now correct for Side 2.
3. Place Objective feature restored to TOAW III operation.
4. Scenario BMP for Briefing and Victory Dialogs now correctly shown.
5. Cooperation Flags restored to the Group Composition Dialog.
6. Air Report now comes up in OOB order (like it was under TOAW III).
7. Force Editor Supply Button info corrected.
8. Open/Save operations for OOB, Map, and Unit objects fixed.
9. Anti-ship combat by ships with the Dual Purpose Missile flag now automatically passes the Gunnery Range check.
10. Rules Preset for the last three options is now correctly saved with the game file.
11. Fixed the crash in the battle report.
12. Fixed the too severe counterbattery against coastal guns.
13. Fixed the load routine to clear the Theater Option structure for New Scenarios.
14. File Open should prefer Document folder over Program Files folder.
15. Graphics search now includes Program File/Graphics Override folder.
16. Fixed issue with units on frozen shallow water always being in supply regardless of path blockage.
17. Fixed the crash with the Editor Unit Report Size, Icon, & Color buttons.
18. Changed Target of Opportunity Interdiction attacks from before each combat phase to the end of each player turn (a significant reduction from the excess that had been occuring).
19. Fixed exploit which allowed switching sides using the Unit Panel.
20. “New Game” button will find the latest scenario version to run from multiple directories.
21. Fixed the crash when using Spanish language.
22. Fixed color file for Arracourt 44.

NEW SCENARIO:
Chickamauga 1863 (Designer: Bob Cross)

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 12/12/2019 4:25:33 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 12:45:41 PM   
parmenio

nuff said...

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 2
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 1:53:13 PM   
joey

Thanks for the update and a happy holiday to all.

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 3
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 2:01:19 PM   
76mm

Great news, thanks, like Christmas come early. A couple of questions:
1) Should this version be expected to work with on-going games?
2) Somewhere I'd read/heard that an additional XML attribute had been added to the scenario XML file, but I don't see anything about that in the patch notes above? I'll check the XML file myself when I get the chance, but in the meantime does anyone know?

[EDIT] The download link does not work for me, either the one above or the one on "My Page" in the support section of the site. In both cases, it times out. Anybody else having this problem?

[EDIT2] Now it's working...

< Message edited by 76mm -- 12/12/2019 2:54:40 PM >

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 4
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 4:02:19 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL:
8. Open/Save operations for Unit objects fixed.

Total hogwash. It's even worse than it was before. After all the ways this has been described as broken it can only be assumed a total lack of caring has resulted in this getting worse instead of better.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 12/12/2019 4:04:17 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 5
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 4:06:06 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGI
8. Open/Save operations for...Unit objects fixed.

Sorry what does that even mean? Is that the import/export of individual units?

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 6
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 4:15:02 PM   
76mm

To answer my own question above, about the XML files: yes, "ENTRYTURN" has now been added to the XML for formations, so we should now be able to release formations via the XML--good news!

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 4:36:44 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL:

Total hogwash. It's even worse than it was before. After all the ways this has been described as broken it can only be assumed a total lack of caring has resulted in this getting worse instead of better.

I just saved and then opened a Unit. Couldn't do that under .21. So, how could it be "even worse than it was before"?

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 5:03:07 PM   
cathar1244

Is this update comprehensive for all versions of TOAW IV, or does it patch version .21?

Thank you for the update.

Cheers

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 9
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 5:38:18 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL:

I just saved and then opened a Unit. Couldn't do that under .21. So, how could it be "even worse than it was before"?

Because now the unit is saved who knows where. I was working on a scenario. I opened a different one and saved a unit. It saved the unit in the scenario I had been working on previously. You cannot dictate where the unit is saved. It gets saved someplace you were at some other time. I've really gotten tired of trying to find out how it decides to save a file.

If you want it to function properly go back to 4.1.0.3 and do it the same way it's done there. The scenario designer can dictate WHERE it's saved, not the program. The program cannot possibly read your mind and know where you want something. I've been repeating this exact same bloody thing for I don't know how long. It's not rocket science. The wheel does not have to be reinvented. Just look at 4.1.0.3. It's already been done properly. It's no wonder so many beta testers have thrown in the towel.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Post #: 10
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 7:00:47 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL:

Because now the unit is saved who knows where. I was working on a scenario. I opened a different one and saved a unit. It saved the unit in the scenario I had been working on previously. You cannot dictate where the unit is saved. It gets saved someplace you were at some other time. I've really gotten tired of trying to find out how it decides to save a file.

If you want it to function properly go back to 4.1.0.3 and do it the same way it's done there. The scenario designer can dictate WHERE it's saved, not the program. The program cannot possibly read your mind and know where you want something. I've been repeating this exact same bloody thing for I don't know how long. It's not rocket science. The wheel does not have to be reinvented. Just look at 4.1.0.3. It's already been done properly. It's no wonder so many beta testers have thrown in the towel.

It gets saved in the current scenario folder, whatever that is (the user controls that).

Under .21 you COULD NOT SAVE OR OPEN UNITS AT ALL!!!!

You can now Save and Open Units. That's a fix, and I don't care how you try to twist it.

If you have to have it precisely the way it was in some distant past, then hold your breath till Ralph gets to it.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 11
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 7:02:53 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Is this update comprehensive for all versions of TOAW IV, or does it patch version .21?

Cheers

It's comprehensive. Personally, I install it by first uninstalling TOAW IV, reinstalling the original 4.0.0.11, and then installing the update. (That's if you have the Matrix version - Steam does it for you, although you can do the uninstall/install thing there, too).

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 12
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 7:04:32 PM   
secadegas

quote:

5. Cooperation Flags restored to the Group Composition Dialog.

It really works again!! Thanks a lot for this and for the update.

Post #: 13
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 7:07:50 PM   
Lobster

quote:

If you have to have it precisely the way it was in some distant past, then hold your breath till Ralph gets to it.

And you've just wrapped up the whole problem with this process in one simple sentence.

But no, it does not save it in the current scenario folder. What's more, if you have 100 different units it's a nightmare. But you are absolutely right, neither I nor anyone else should expect Ralph to do anything in a timely manner. Your sentence is a sad but truthful commentary on where this game has gone.

Post #: 14
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 7:25:07 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

But no, it does not save it in the current scenario folder.

I just did it. That's how it works. Anyone reading this can try it for themselves. In my first test, the folder was set to WWII-West and that's where it was saved. This last time, I changed the folder to WWII-Med and that's where it was saved the second time.

quote:

What's more, if you have 100 different units it's a nightmare.

Maybe that's a valid criticism. But how does that give you license to say that it's worse than ever? You're not getting every last thing you want, so you throw a tantrum.

quote:

But you are absolutely right, neither I nor anyone else should expect Ralph to do anything in a timely manner. Your sentence is a sad but truthful commentary on where this game has gone.

Everybody has issues from time to time. I don't know what Ralph's are about, but I remember when he would take a break and nothing would get done. Now, when he takes a break, I carry on. That's some sort of improvement I think.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 15
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 8:12:30 PM   
jmlima

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL:

Consider yourself lucky, I still cannot save units.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 16
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 8:30:49 PM   
fogger

"Everybody has issues from time to time. I don't know what Ralph's are about, but I remember when he would take a break and nothing would get done. Now, when he takes a break, I carry on. That's some sort of improvement I think."

Thank you Bob

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 17
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 9:34:36 PM   
Shadrach

Wow
I guess someone noticed us poor buggers here and managed to find the "compile installer" button

Thanks especially for these fixes:

12. Fixed the too severe counterbattery against coastal guns.
14. File Open should prefer Document folder over Program Files folder.
15. Graphics search now includes Program File/Graphics Override folder.

I can't see any mention of fixing the memory leak on Win10 reported earlier this year, but I'll have a look, maybe it's sorted itself out by "magic" (as sometimes these things do).
EDIT: Nope, still there...

EDIT: The link to ftp.matrixgames.com (64.111.28.24) does not work from here, it times out. Maybe it's down temporarily. I'll get it from the other links.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 12/12/2019 10:01:12 PM >

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 18
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 9:39:03 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

I can't see any mention of fixing the memory leak on Win10 reported earlier this year, but I'll have a look, maybe it's sorted itself out by "magic" (as sometimes these things do).

I can only speak for myself: I don't have a Win 10 machine yet. I don't know about Ralph. I hope to address that next year.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 19
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 10:11:02 PM   
Shadrach

Another thing: Does the patch installer *really* need to overwrite the ini files on update? A lot of folks spend quite some time customising their settings and especially the font config can be a lot of work to get right again. Thankfully I had a recent backup of the fonts file...

Post #: 20
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 10:11:50 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

How do you do this? I'd like to give this a try...

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 21
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 11:19:04 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

How do you do this? I'd like to give this a try...

Open a scenario or start a new one in the editor. Open the Force Editor. Click on the File item in the Menu Bar at the top and you will see two functions, Save Unit as... and Open Unit.

Tried it earlier and it saved the unit file in the last scenario folder I had open in the editor, not the current scenario folder. The reason I'm so irritated is because it worked in one version then it didn't work in the next. Then it worked in the next but again didn't work in the next. Now it only sort of works in some strange fashion. It no longer gives the user the ability to put it where they desire which it previously did in all of the versions where the Save/Open unit function worked. I don't know if it's ineptitude or not caring about what's being done or just no longer caring about the entire project. It's becoming increasingly like it's the latter may be closer to the truth.

Personally Bob I'm very happy you are working on this. The alternative would be 100 times worse. It would be a total lack of progress in any way.

BTW, don't confuse utter frustration with a tantrum. Totally different.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 22
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/12/2019 11:51:57 PM   
76mm

quote:

Totally, for sure!

I just tried to save a unit. The good news--no error message or crash! The bad news--if the unit file was save, I couldn't find it...I looked in several TOAW folders with no luck.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 23
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/13/2019 12:15:16 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

Totally, for sure!

I just tried to save a unit. The good news--no error message or crash! The bad news--if the unit file was save, I couldn't find it...I looked in several TOAW folders with no luck.

Did you try Open Unit? It should look at the same folder the Save Unit was pointed at.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 24
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/13/2019 12:21:45 AM   
76mm

quote:

Did you try Open Unit? It should look at the same folder the Save Unit was pointed at.

I can't with the scenario I have open, it says it can only do it if no units are divided..apparently there are divided units in this scenario. I will try with a different scenario when I get a chance, but I'm not sure how many times I'll try it if that scenario has divided units as well.

Post #: 25
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/13/2019 2:14:15 AM   
BigDuke66

Ok somethings is not working as intended and just to make sure cleaned TOAWIV and started installing again.
Installed 4.1.0.20 & 4.1.0.21 and checked the scenario selection, I see that background pics are loaded and that I can open the documents for the scenarios.
Now I install 4.1.0.40 and see only the standard background pic for every scenario and can't access any documents from within the game.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 26
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/13/2019 2:18:47 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Ok somethings is not working as intended and just to make sure cleaned TOAWIV and started installing again.
Installed 4.1.0.20 & 4.1.0.21 and checked the scenario selection, I see that background pics are loaded and that I can open the documents for the scenarios.
Now I install 4.1.0.40 and see only the standard background pic for every scenario and can't access any documents from within the game.

Do you have Steam installed?

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 27
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/13/2019 2:20:35 AM   
BigDuke66

A clear NO.

Post #: 28
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/13/2019 2:30:02 AM   
BigDuke66

OK wait.
Started a game, and from within I see the background pic & can open the document for the scenario.
And now it works also when selecting a new game.
I closed the game and started again and now it works right from the start.

Must have been a strange hiccup.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 29
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/13/2019 4:55:37 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Cheers

It's comprehensive. Personally, I install it by first uninstalling TOAW IV, reinstalling the original 4.0.0.11, and then installing the update. (That's if you have the Matrix version - Steam does it for you, although you can do the uninstall/install thing there, too).

Thanks Bob!

Cheers

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Update v4.1.0.40 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI