Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Update v4.1.0.40

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Update v4.1.0.40 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/21/2019 4:20:17 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

I did just that, guess what, I cannot save units in the editor.

Are you using Windows 10?

quote:

Also, if you look at this thread people are being told to install a version that is not even available for download on the matrix webpage to try and solve the issues they are finding.

But a version they should have received upon purchasing the game.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 91
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/21/2019 5:42:13 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
As long as the game functions being added by Bob are not packaged as TOAWV and are instead handed out when each is completed we are safe from TOAWV. I never want to see a TOAWV. TOAWIV.x is just fine with me.

I'm glad that Bob is working on new features, and frankly, would be happy to pay for a new game if there were significant number of new features. But in the meantime it would be nice if someone could focus on wrinkling out some of these annoying malfunctions with TOAW IV (file issues, importing issues).

I suspect that this kind of thing is not as simple as it sounds, given the age of the code and the number of hands that have probably worked on it over the years, it could be a real mess...

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 92
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/21/2019 6:10:37 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

As long as the game functions being added by Bob are not packaged as TOAWV and are instead handed out when each is completed we are safe from TOAWV. I never want to see a TOAWV. TOAWIV.x is just fine with me.

I'm glad that Bob is working on new features, and frankly, would be happy to pay for a new game if there were significant number of new features. But in the meantime it would be nice if someone could focus on wrinkling out some of these annoying malfunctions with TOAW IV (file issues, importing issues).

I suspect that this kind of thing is not as simple as it sounds, given the age of the code and the number of hands that have probably worked on it over the years, it could be a real mess...

Tamas said it was not in bad shape at all. Some of the things that are currently not functioning properly were working just fine 12 months ago. Going back to see how it worked then and recreating that method in the current build should not be a problem short of someone not bothering to do it.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 93
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/21/2019 7:45:35 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

I did just that, guess what, I cannot save units in the editor.

Are you using Windows 10?

No. 7 64bit.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 94
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/22/2019 6:13:40 PM   
biddrafter2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

Instead what we get is a bunch of workarounds and "it works on my machine so obviously you're doing it wrong".

And this is why QA and tech support should never, ever, be performed by the game developers. The limited resources for this game are obvious.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 95
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/26/2019 9:28:53 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

Tamas said it was not in bad shape at all. Some of the things that are currently not functioning properly were working just fine 12 months ago. Going back to see how it worked then and recreating that method in the current build should not be a problem short of someone not bothering to do it.

Really wonder if the age of the code is not creating all these kind of issues hard to fix. I remember the black screen or some others. Drivers have changed. CPU, GPU have changed. Vulkan is near. Matrix has this new Archon engine perhaps just for this. Help developers to concentrate on the fun aspect of game creation without losing too much time on one engine.

I have seen games with wonderful engines but absolutely no fun to play. TOAW IV is fun to play but it lacks a new engine.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 96
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/26/2019 9:49:14 PM   
ncc1701e

And maybe the lack of communication comes from the secret development of TOAW V using the Archon engine. Who knows...

You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 97
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/27/2019 3:03:23 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Vulkan is near

Only if they want to lose 90% of their player base.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 98
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 12/27/2019 9:55:40 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Vulkan is near

Only if they want to lose 90% of their player base.

Maybe, maybe not. In five years, when everybody has moved to new GPU, it will pretty much become the standard. Porting the current code could be a nightmare for a small team.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 99
Group Movement - 12/27/2019 4:17:43 PM   
rhinobones

With Update v4.1.0.40 I’ve lost the ability to move ships and land units as “groups”. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 100
RE: Group Movement - 12/27/2019 6:30:33 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

With Update v4.1.0.40 I’ve lost the ability to move ships and land units as “groups”. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Regards

Maybe hold down the mouse button longer for the popup to appear? I seem to remember having that bit too but don't recall exactly what I did to resolve it.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 101
RE: Group Movement - 12/27/2019 10:18:15 PM   
rhinobones

Turns out that the update fools with the default settings. To restore while in the game follow the path: Play > Default Options > Classic Defaults

This will give you group actions, airfield attack, bridge attack and combat planner.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 102
RE: Group Movement - 12/29/2019 11:28:08 AM   
cathar1244

Anybody seeing this problem? I've updated, but the game freezes on start:

Cheers

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 103
RE: Group Movement - 12/29/2019 2:07:55 PM   
altipueri

Yes I've had that.

I also still have the old colors for the Germans in Arracourt 44 scenario. (Brown instead of grey)

I did an uninstall; install 4.1.0.20
Patch to 4.1.0.40 - still have wrong colors. Presumably something is picking something up from an earlier install (about 08 I think).

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 104
RE: Group Movement - 12/29/2019 2:33:20 PM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Yes I've had that.

I also still have the old colors for the Germans in Arracourt 44 scenario. (Brown instead of grey)

Patch to 4.1.0.40 - still have wrong colors. Presumably something is picking something up from an earlier install (about 08 I think).

I used same procedure - uninstall; install 4.1.0.20 and patch to 4.1.0.40 - and everything is running just fine - and Germans at Arracourt 44 became grey again.

Using Windows 10 / 64 bits

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 105
RE: Group Movement - 12/29/2019 9:51:53 PM   
altipueri

Thanks Secadegas.

My laptop is windows 10 64 bit too.

I've gone to my old Win 8 pcs and laptops and got 2 that seem ok i.e. get the German grey back; one isn't.

Am I doing free beta testing for Matrix?

Edit: What was your first install of TOAW4 if you recall?

Edit 2 Ok, I've tried it again on a windows 10 laptop and I get every scenario duplicated so presumably it is reading scenarios from two different locations?

Bizarro.

< Message edited by altipueri -- 12/29/2019 10:17:13 PM >

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 106
RE: Group Movement - 12/29/2019 11:40:05 PM   
Shadrach

If you get wrong colour for units (and duplicates in the list), it's probably because you're loading old versions of the scenario. Most likely these are located in your Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios folder. These are left-overs from older installs.

For the freezes on startup, report it to Matrix support:
https://www.matrixgames.com/member/helpdesk
There's not really much we can do here apart from guessing...

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 107
RE: Group Movement - 12/30/2019 2:21:09 AM   
Lobster

quote:

Am I doing free beta testing for Matrix?

Someone's getting paid to beta test for Matrix? That's a good one. I'll have to remember it for April fools day.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 108
RE: Group Movement - 12/30/2019 8:34:48 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

Anybody seeing this problem? I've updated, but the game freezes on start:

RESOLVED. Let the program "cook" for 30 minutes on first time start and then it advanced to the next screen, and now functions normally.

RESOLVED. Installed the .20 base first and then patched to .40 before starting game for first time. Game started with no delay.

Cheers

< Message edited by cathar1244 -- 1/2/2020 5:34:13 AM >

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 109
RE: Group Movement - 12/30/2019 9:07:49 AM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: secadegas

quote:

Yes I've had that.

I used same procedure - uninstall; install 4.1.0.20 and patch to 4.1.0.40 - and everything is running just fine - and Germans at Arracourt 44 became grey again.

Can you save units using the editor?

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 110
RE: Group Movement - 12/30/2019 5:08:44 PM   
secadegas

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes I've had that.

Yes, I can.

The unit is saved on the latest scenario folder I've selected.
In this case Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios / WW II - Eastern Front

Edit: Forgot to say that when I upgraded to 4.1.0.40 I also found Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios folder empty. So usually I copy scenarios from C: Programs(x86) / Matrix Games /(…) / Scenarios folder to Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios.
I believe that having a Documents's scenario folder previously selected makes all the difference in this saving procedure.

< Message edited by secadegas -- 12/30/2019 5:22:53 PM >

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 111
RE: Group Movement - 12/30/2019 5:25:13 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes I've had that.

Yes, I can.

In this case Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios / WW II - Eastern Front

Edit: Forgot to say that when I upgraded to 4.1.0.40 I also found Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios folder empty. So usually I copy scenarios from C: Programs(x86) / Matrix Games /(…) / Scenarios folder to Documents / My Games / The Operational Art of War IV / Scenarios.
I believe that having a Documents's scenario folder previously selected makes all the difference in this saving procedure.

And if you are working on several East Front scenarios each with a different set of units you end up with hundreds of units to scroll through to find the one you want. Not a good solution. Will it ever get sorted out to where you can tell the program where to save the units again like it used to? ..................................

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 112
RE: Group Movement - 1/2/2020 9:07:33 AM   
jmlima

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes I've had that.

Yes, I can.

You're right, the difference is to have a scenario folder selected in the game so, you open the game, start a new game, select a folder, start a scenario, then close the scenario, go to editor and then you can save units...

How did I miss such an obvious and logical process.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 113
RE: Group Movement - 1/2/2020 8:10:58 PM   
altipueri

What a mess.

I've uninstalled and re-installed 3 times today to try and get the correct graphics for Arracourt 44.

I've tried 20 then 40
20 then 21 then 40
Different folder 20 then 21 then 40.

I suggest Matrix make an installer version 40 for new players that puts everything in the current correct place in one go because this re-arranging folders etc.is a shambles.

I've given up; I'll just play with the krauts in brown.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 114
RE: Group Movement - 1/2/2020 8:35:55 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

I've uninstalled and re-installed 3 times today to try and get the correct graphics for Arracourt 44.

Arracourt is one one the (very few) scenarios shipped with a COL file. This file should be located next to the SCE file in the Program Scenarios folder. Double check you do not have an old version in the Documents Scenario folder or in any of the Graphics Override folders (both locations).

The file is named "Arracourt 44.col" and is an XML file controlling the colours of the forces.

Directory of f:\Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\WW II - West Front

01.10.2018  16:34            88 776 Arracourt 44.BMP
08.11.2018  22:44            11 163 Arracourt 44.col
30.10.2019  03:48           356 228 Arracourt 44.sce

My F:\games here would likely be your c:\Program Files (x86) directory.

EDIT: Also make sure you don't have any older versions of the SCE file either in the Documents folder, as I'm not sure if the COL file actually does anything. It might be built-in to the SCE file now, if so you have the wrong SCE file.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 1/2/2020 8:42:01 PM >

OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)

There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 115
RE: Group Movement - 1/3/2020 5:29:06 PM   
altipueri

Hi Shadrach, Thanks for your effort to resolve this.

I have exactly the same three files, albeit in the x86 directory.

I have installed the entire game on another PC and Arracourt works OK - with exactly the same 3 files - sizes and dates. Curious.

Thank you for your help. I've got a version that works Ok and the deviant PC will just have to be marked as unreliable.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 116
RE: Group Movement - 1/3/2020 5:37:05 PM   
Shadrach

altipueri: Did you check there are no Arracourt files in the Documents\My Games directory? Any files there will override the ones in Program Files (x86).

OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)

There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 117
RE: Group Movement - 1/3/2020 5:53:22 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

What a mess.

I've tried 20 then 40
20 then 21 then 40

I suggest Matrix make an installer version 40 for new players that puts everything in the current correct place in one go because this re-arranging folders etc.is a shambles.

Sharing your pain here. I just no longer have the patience or the technological proficiency to deal w/ the rigamarole to upgrade to the latest. I'll stick w/ my dinosaur for now ... no issues, other than the interdiction issue, and that is not much of an issue w/ me. I just don't play scenes w/ that issue.

W/ the few other games that I have played in the last few years, "updating" to a new version was quite simple: you press a button, and you're updated. W/ TOAW, seems like I have to do just too much work.

YMMV! For me, I'll stick it out as long as I can, until TOAW V appears.

Have a great New Year!

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 118
RE: Group Movement - 1/3/2020 5:58:42 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

quote:

What a mess.

I've tried 20 then 40
20 then 21 then 40

YMMV! For me, I'll stick it out as long as I can, until TOAW V appears.

Have a great New Year!

Same guy will be the dev for that so...

Then again, doesn't Matrix do the install program in house?

< Message edited by Lobster -- 1/3/2020 5:59:49 PM >

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 119
RE: Group Movement - 1/4/2020 2:37:10 PM   
BigDuke66

quote:

Then again, doesn't Matrix do the install program in house?

Well they do the patches so I'm sure they do the installer to.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Update v4.1.0.40 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI