Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Update v4.1.0.40

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Update v4.1.0.40 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 1/6/2020 4:36:05 AM   
akdreemer

quote:

No New Messages
Curtis Lemay
Matrix Legion of Merit

I too waited patiently for this 'fix' to open and save units and it still does not work on my machine.. a 64bit Win machine. I really don't understand why this has been such a pain in the but to fix correctly. If it was not for the larger unit/formation space of IV I would seriously think about going back to III. Ugh.... I have played this game since it was first introduced decades ago and all through the revised version this had never been an issue for me. I cannot open anything saved in III nor can I find where this is saving currently cause it is not where I directed it to be.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 121
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 1/20/2020 10:36:46 PM   
johnbennett

Hello-

my apologies if this question has been answered somewhere in this topic thread-

Have played all TOAW games since they were first released, this must be 20+ years now? Anyway, had my first tech snafu with this game series today when I installed this new patch.

Initially, it caused a freeze on the opening screen.
Then I uninstalled the game, started from scratch, it worked fine before I applied this patch, then I applied the patch, and it would not open. Gave me an error related to a steam file. I don't play TOAW on Steam and have no intention to do so.

I was able to get back to where I was before this update, but don't dare try it again. I am running Windows 10 on a 64 bit machine, with plenty of RAM, HD space, and a fast processor.

thanks for any help!

< Message edited by johnbennett -- 1/20/2020 11:21:45 PM >

(in reply to akdreemer)
Post #: 122
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 1/22/2020 8:25:38 AM   
Shadrach

John: Many people have reported issues like hanging after the patch, it seems to be related to patching directly from versions older than 4.1.0.20 to the last.

If you're having issues, I recommend first doing a uninstall and a delete of the "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV" folder. Make a backup of the latter if there's things like downloaded scenarios or mods you want to keep.

Also check to make sure the "c:\Program Files (x86)\The Operational Art of War IV" folder has been removed by the uninstaller.

Then install in the following order:

1. TheOperationalArtofWar4-SetupRelease-v4.1.0.20.exe
2. TheOperationalArtofWar4-UpdateComp-v4.1.0.40.exe

You can get both these files from the Members Downloads area after logging in.
https://www.matrixgames.com/member/downloads/the-operational-art-of-war-iv

OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)

There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger

(in reply to johnbennett)
Post #: 123
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 1/26/2020 11:40:06 PM   
johnbennett

thanks Shadrach, giving it a shot

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 124
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/7/2020 10:47:10 AM   
Shadrach

So do you guys think we'll have a patch for the issues discovered after this patch, particularly the not showing of BMP/DOCs and others? Any new patch in the works for beta testers?
Or have they closed these issues as "not a bug"?

- Norm Koger

(in reply to johnbennett)
Post #: 125
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/7/2020 1:28:13 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

So do you guys think we'll have a patch for the issues discovered after this patch, particularly the not showing of BMP/DOCs and others? Any new patch in the works for beta testers?
Or have they closed these issues as "not a bug"?

My understanding is that editor issues are 'not a priority' and other issues will be solved on a 'programmer availability' basis, so it may take a day, a month, a year, who knows.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 126
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/7/2020 4:34:37 PM   
Lobster

The bmp files can be made to work by moving them to a file named for the scenario in Graphics Override. The same cannot be said for the docs. Somehow the program's ability to find relevant folders is continually botched one way or another with each patch.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 127
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/7/2020 7:52:38 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

The bmp files can be made to work by moving them to a file named for the scenario in Graphics Override. The same cannot be said for the docs. Somehow the program's ability to find relevant folders is continually botched one way or another with each patch.

Must be something peculiar about certain system 4.0.1.40 updates. I updated from 4.0.1.23 to 4.1.0.40 and have no problem with displaying Bmps, Docs or Pdfs. All of these files are located in the scenario folder along with the scenario file. No need to put anything other than graphic files in the override folder.

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 128
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/8/2020 12:18:43 AM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
Must be something peculiar about certain system 4.0.1.40 updates. I updated from 4.0.1.23 to 4.1.0.40 and have no problem with displaying Bmps, Docs or Pdfs. All of these files are located in the scenario folder along with the scenario file. No need to put anything other than graphic files in the override folder.

There is no 4.0.1.23, only 4.1.0.20 and 4.1.0.40. If you updated from older versions (prior to .20), you probably have the old files in the Documents folder still there, so they show. The bug is that the game won't read the files from the Program Files (installation) directory. So a workaround similar to what Lobster said is to copy the the full Scenarios folder from Programs to Documents. Creating separate folders in Graphics Override per scenario would be a mammoth task.

Anyway, a workaround isn't really what I'm asking for (I already know this), and I'm not going into that endless discussion again... I'm just wondering if another patch is in the works to fix this bug (and the others reported after the .40 patch).

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 2/8/2020 12:20:57 AM >

- Norm Koger

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 129
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/8/2020 1:48:41 AM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Regards

.23 is not an official release it's a 'beta' for testers. Your average TOAW user would never have it.

Not heard anything about another patch.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 2/8/2020 1:50:56 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 130
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/8/2020 3:04:02 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

There is no 4.0.1.23, only 4.1.0.20 and 4.1.0.40. If you updated from older versions (prior to .20), you probably have the old files in the Documents folder still there, so they show. The bug is that the game won't read the files from the Program Files (installation) directory. So a workaround similar to what Lobster said is to copy the the full Scenarios folder from Programs to Documents. Creating separate folders in Graphics Override per scenario would be a mammoth task.

Anyway, a workaround isn't really what I'm asking for . . .

Workaround? Never said or implied that I was using a workaround. Install documents and Bmps as normal and TOAW works just fine. That is, it works for me. Evidently you didn’t get the word. And no, there are old files in the Documents folder.

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 131
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/8/2020 3:51:10 AM   
BigDuke66

Well nice that you have it, but all the community got was .21, at least there is no other patch mentioned by officials as released toll .40 showed up, and on the product page you don't ebven get that on but only .20.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 132
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/8/2020 9:23:19 AM   
jmlima

quote:

quote:

Anyway, a workaround isn't really what I'm asking for (I already know this), and I'm not going into that endless discussion again... I'm just wondering if another patch is in the works to fix this bug (and the others reported after the .40 patch).

Because of the issues with the latest patch I think the next 'path' should not be a patch but a full release. Just tell everyone, uninstall everything TOAW 4 related, make a backup of any edited scenarios, and install the new stand-alone version. Theoretically, that should solve these issues. Steam can probably do this automatically and even the installer of the patch can do it. But hey, I know nothing.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 133
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/8/2020 1:54:07 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Well nice that you have it, but all the community got was .21, at least there is no other patch mentioned by officials as released toll .40 showed up, and on the product page you don't ebven get that on but only .20.

If people ask real nice, maybe Matrix will make it available. In the mean time, try updating from .21 to .40. Maybe .23 isn't the cure.

Colin Wright:

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 134
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/8/2020 4:15:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Everyone who bought from Matrix should have 4.0.0.11 from their original install. I'm guessing Rhinobones probably never uninstalled, before loading 40, so he's still got the 11 install on his machine.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 135
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/8/2020 7:25:13 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Everyone who bought from Matrix should have 4.0.0.11 from their original install.

I really doubt anyone who bought the game after 4.1.0.20 became the new base install would then get a download for the then outdated 4.0.0.11...

Personally I obviously deleted the old installer after .20 was released as it was no longer any point in keeping it. And we were specifically told to do a complete uninstall of the game when 4.1.0.20 was released:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4564492

Anyway, that is not what I've been asking about - I'm asking if a new patch is in the works to fix the BMP/DOCs issue as well as other issues discovered after the .40 release.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 2/8/2020 7:26:00 PM >

- Norm Koger

Post #: 136
S - 2/9/2020 11:56:00 AM   
meyer2_slith

Mod please delete-wrong thread

< Message edited by meyer2_slith -- 2/9/2020 12:42:21 PM >

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 137
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/9/2020 6:20:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Personally I obviously deleted the old installer after .20 was released as it was no longer any point in keeping it.

Shouldn't have done that. But, you then have the work-around involving copying stuff from the Steam path to the Documents path.

quote:

Anyway, that is not what I've been asking about - I'm asking if a new patch is in the works to fix the BMP/DOCs issue as well as other issues discovered after the .40 release.

A question for Ralph. I've mentioned it to him. He said he would look into it.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 138
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/29/2020 7:59:14 AM   
fulcrum28

just installed the patch and broke the game, very dissapointed.

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

Post #: 139
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/29/2020 9:22:52 AM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Personally I obviously deleted the old installer after .20 was released as it was no longer any point in keeping it.

Shouldn't have done that. ...

Why? Do you keep every single version of every single updated version of a software you have?

Even if YOU do, that is not a reasonable expectation to have that everyone will do the same thing just because.

We really need to stop this principle of 'if I do it, then of course everyone else should have to do it even if they have no idea or reason why to do it'. That does not work in software support.

Post #: 140
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/29/2020 10:14:38 AM   
fulcrum28

how can we check the version number of the installed game?

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 141
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 2/29/2020 5:19:06 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28
how can we check the version number of the installed game?

Two ways I know of:

1. Go to Help > About in the menu and the version will be shown there, but only for a short while.
2. Right-click the "Opart 4.exe" in the installation folder, choose Properties and look in the Details tab.

- Norm Koger

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 142
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 3/24/2020 4:58:58 PM   
RPKUPK

WARNING: This new version crashed my game. On start up the green and black NATO soldiers and tanks scene appears, just the scene, nothing else on the page. Unable to start game at all.

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 143
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 3/24/2020 9:21:31 PM   
BigDuke66

Ignore warning!
Really you should have waited for a responds to your post on the Tech Support forum.
If you try to patch a different game it will obviously crash.

(in reply to RPKUPK)
Post #: 144
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 9/5/2020 6:33:57 PM   
apresby

Hey folks! Just saying that I too, as a new buyer in Sept 2020, experienced the issue where the scenario documents button stops leading to Scenario documents in the installed game path Scenario folder after the 0.40 update. This occurred on a fresh install of the Matrix or Steam versions. Of potential interest for debugging is that my main install is NOT under UAC. It’s on a separate drive where I keep games under a “Games” folder. Don’t think UAC is the problem here.
Workaround of moving all scenarios from the install path scenario folder and putting them in the games My Documents scenario folder worked for me but frankly I should not have to do that and I’ll need to do it again next time Matrix updates the scenarios.

< Message edited by apresby -- 9/5/2020 6:36:30 PM >

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 145
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 1/19/2021 4:30:57 AM   
lion_of_judah

I maybe wrong, but I thought I remember reading that in a future patch, we would have leaders. Is this still correct or was I dreaming. LOL

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 146
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 1/19/2021 3:33:33 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

I maybe wrong, but I thought I remember reading that in a future patch, we would have leaders. Is this still correct or was I dreaming. LOL

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4869825

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 147
RE: Update v4.1.0.40 - 4/20/2021 3:17:10 PM   
montygen

Sorry for the dumb question, but where do I place the TOAW IV update file(s) in order to update my version of the TOAW game?
Thank you
Jeff

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 148
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Update v4.1.0.40 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI