Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 2:14:41 AM   
tortugapower

This teaser puts me exactly in the balanced state of partially being satisfied by new info, but partially being even more curious and anxious for info than before.

Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to AKicebear)
Post #: 31
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 12:28:03 PM   
OnePercent

is it just me, compared to all these other replys, but the game doesn't look "3D" at all, it looks basically as isometric, and 2D sprite as any 2D game, or at least, they're using some tricks to make it look 3D.

(in reply to AKicebear)
Post #: 32
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 12:39:33 PM   
Medway

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnePercent

is it just me, compared to all these other replys, but the game doesn't look "3D" at all, it looks basically as isometric, and 2D sprite as any 2D game, or at least, they're using some tricks to make it look 3D.

Without seeing a zoom in of the models it's hard to tell.

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 33
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 1:47:06 PM   
Thrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnePercent

I think it is 2D yes. The planet really looks like 3D, the starbase feels pretty close but not really 3D and the ship models look like 2D. Tbh there isn't much use for width in space anyway, only combat centered games would IMO.

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 34
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 2:13:13 PM   
drillerman

Yes, Looks 2D. Are they sprites or 3D models?

Huh?

(in reply to Thrake)
Post #: 35
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 2:19:57 PM   
Webbco

I know the ships look like 2D sprites but I'd be surprised if they actually are - it would be a major visual step backwards from DW1. Like something from 1995.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 36
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 2:29:34 PM   
BlueTemplar

Uh, these ships very much look like 3D models (which wouldn't necessarily mean that the game itself was going to be 3D - except we know that it will be) - just compare to DW1 models !

See also Space Empires 4 and 5 - both use the same 3D ship models, but the first one is 2D, while the second is 3D !
SE4 :

EDIT : Image resizing tags don't work, please fix ?
SE5 :

< Message edited by BlueTemplar -- 12/13/2019 2:35:13 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 37
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 6:54:41 PM   
Woodstove

So Sim City 4 style? 3d Engine, but 2d feel. If so I can get behind that. Most 4x games have 2d gameplay, even if presented in 3d. If I don't remember wrong is was... Homeworld(?) that had real 3d space combat. But i fear a full 4x galaxy in that style. Don't think my mind would handle that.

Anyway. Expect DW2 to make use of more ram than the first game. I have lost so many games due to lack of ram usage. One of the few games that will let you ajust the options so it fails to run for a extended time.

I love to have a small galaxy, max stars, max empiers, max pirates, stongest pirates, max colonizable plants, max alien life. Computer can handle it. Galaxy is super fun. But the program will suicide eventually.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 38
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 7:30:32 PM   
Woodstove

Well, I forgot something. This is not the first screenshot wo got (I shuld have registerd earlyer)(DOT) mobile(DOT) twitter(DOT) (cant post links yet) (slash)Iain_Slitherine (slash) status (slash) (nine,four,one,three, the one after seven, two, the one after seven again, seven this time, two, the one before nine, two, fourty four, seventy one, five hundred and fifthy nine) (slash) photo (Slash) 1 (DOT) (Spam protection is storng in this one) and the coments that came from it. (someone please upload that image, link on page 6 distant worlds 2 news thread)

"So it looks like DW2 has gone isometric 3D? I was charmed by the top down 2D. Moody." -Ranbir

"No, that is a screenshot of a development build. What you see there is just how I happened to have the camera positioned when Iain snapped the picture. You will certainly be able to play top down as with DW1, but we'll have other camera options as well." -Erik

(later)
"We are hard at work on DW2 every day. We are still recruiting more 3D modelers/artists and we are also looking for a "supertester" with a lot of free time and good XML skills to help us out with some early testing and data entry/validation. If you know anyone who is interested, you could get an early look at the game and also have a chance of giving us feedback before anyone else." -Erik

So. 3D confirmed?

(in reply to Woodstove)
Post #: 39
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 7:59:42 PM   
USSAmerica

Erik, that's a solid teaser screen shot to start us off with! Looks great! I'm working from home on the 19th, so will sure try to tune into the twitch preview!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Woodstove)
Post #: 40
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 9:50:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

I can confirm the game engine is 64-bit, multi-core capable, with full resolution and scaling support and fully 3D. Memory usage in equal circumstances should actually be less than Distant Worlds: Universe due to various technical reasons and optimizations, but obviously it will require a computer capable of playing 3D games.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/13/2019 9:51:17 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 41
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 10:22:33 PM   
vorbarra2

Well, that's snazzy indeed! Does 'fully 3d' mean 3d rendered only, or does that mean ships actually move in volume as opposed to a plane? Are there tactical reasons for this? Also, is collision implemented for ships?

< Message edited by vorbarra2 -- 12/13/2019 10:26:59 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 42
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 10:34:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Since it was mentioned above, here's the image that appeared on Iain's twitter feed a couple of years back. I don't think you can really see much but better to have it all in one place. This is obviously from a much, much, much older build.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to vorbarra2)
Post #: 43
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 10:40:16 PM   
OnePercent

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar

Uh, these ships very much look like 3D models (which wouldn't necessarily mean that the game itself was going to be 3D - except we know that it will be)

how do you know it will be 3D, not based off the image?

Post #: 44
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 10:55:44 PM   
OnePercent

quote:

"We are hard at work on DW2 every day. We are still recruiting more 3D modelers/artists" -Erik

So. 3D confirmed?

Often times, 3D and CGI renders are used on powerful systems to pre-render the geometry of 3D objects, which can then be "replayed" including any animations on that object as a 2D sprite, this is very common for isometric "2.5D" games, they aren't inherently 3D though after this process.

(in reply to Woodstove)
Post #: 45
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 10:58:16 PM   
OnePercent

I delightfully stand corrected

Post #: 46
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 11:11:58 PM   
sinbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I can confirm the game engine is 64-bit, multi-core capable, with full resolution and scaling support and fully 3D. Memory usage in equal circumstances should actually be less than Distant Worlds: Universe due to various technical reasons and optimizations, but obviously it will require a computer capable of playing 3D games.

This is so great. Speaking of optimizations, please tell me the save file no longer inflates to a ridiculous size.

Post #: 47
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 11:45:54 PM   
BlueTemplar

Nice to see that you have Jean-Luc Picard on your team !
quote:

ORIGINAL: Woodstove

So Sim City 4 style? 3d Engine, but 2d feel. If so I can get behind that. Most 4x games have 2d gameplay, even if presented in 3d. If I don't remember wrong is was... Homeworld(?) that had real 3d space combat. But i fear a full 4x galaxy in that style. Don't think my mind would handle that.

[...]

Yeah the 3 Homeworlds (and other RTS ?). However I don't remember any 4X with a completely free z-axis movement...
(Sword of the Stars have a limited one, with ships snapping back to 1 or 3 planes, and so does the abovementioned SE5 - which results in its case in an hilarious "tower of doom" bug.)

< Message edited by BlueTemplar -- 12/13/2019 11:51:15 PM >

(in reply to Woodstove)
Post #: 48
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 11:49:34 PM   
AKicebear

My guess is the game is still played on a flat plane, but objects (e.g. planets ships etc) are 3D which allows for more graphical effects.

Post #: 49
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 11:54:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

All I can confirm for now is that what you see in the screenshot in the original post is indeed 3D.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to AKicebear)
Post #: 50
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/13/2019 11:59:14 PM   
Cauldyth

Tease!

Post #: 51
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/14/2019 2:28:31 AM   
scotten_usa

quote:

I've got a Packard Bell 486/33 multimedia PC with CD-ROM, will this be sufficient?

Post #: 52
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/14/2019 10:22:04 AM   
StarLab

quote:

Since it was mentioned above, here's the image that appeared on Iain's twitter feed a couple of years back. I don't think you can really see much but better to have it all in one place. This is obviously from a much, much, much older build.

When I made my video about this DW2 teaser yesterday, I included this tweet. I could only see 3 progress status bars in the ship info box via twitter... but here there is clearly 4 (with an additional something else amongst them).

Not sure what else could be included... Ammo levels? Crew experience? Vodkol remaining in the ship's bar?

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

Post #: 53
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/14/2019 11:01:28 AM   
Medway

Thanks for confirming it's 3D. Was just looking at it again now and noticed all the ships had slightly different perspective. If it was 2D isometric don't think that would be the case.

< Message edited by Medway -- 12/14/2019 11:02:16 AM >

Post #: 54
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/14/2019 11:16:55 AM   
LordMM

quote:

ORIGINAL: StarLab

quote:

When I made my video about this DW2 teaser yesterday, I included this tweet. I could only see 3 progress status bars in the ship info box via twitter... but here there is clearly 4 (with an additional something else amongst them).

Not sure what else could be included... Ammo levels? Crew experience? Vodkol remaining in the ship's bar?

After analyzing that screenshot, I actually see 6 status bars...

Hull, Shield, energy, Fuel

1 Green status bar and another 1 at the bottom. Also judging from the old Photo looks like the ships are engaged in some sort of a battle. It looks like a complete 3D battlespace.

It will be interesting to see how they manage to put in the zoom out function with the planet and ship scale. I think the ships and the Starbases will be visually too small when viewing from a Solar system. Actual ships will be visible only during complete zoom in. Otherwise, from viewing from the Solar system and zooming upwards to the galaxy, we will be seeing ship icons. If this is complete 3D as Erik confirms. I believe it will be something similar to Stellaris, less fancy graphics but far more vast and up to scale.

I can't wait to see what the Strategic map mode looks like. It also makes me wonder if this will add to the Shakturi and the ancient galaxy storyline.

< Message edited by LordMM -- 12/14/2019 11:25:38 AM >

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 55
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/14/2019 5:45:01 PM   
Yskonyn

SUPER EXCITED to see us thrown a bone after all this time!

3D looks great, but above all I hope the scope of the game won't be smaller due to this AND that the AI actually knows how to use 3D in combat. The big blobs of units bunching up on eachother in a fight is hopefully something of the past in DW 2.

Go Codeforce!

Yskonyn -

Desktop: Intel i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX1080, 32GB RAM, Win 10 64bit

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 56
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/14/2019 7:12:15 PM   
Dd_01

Oh, WOW! Finally-finally-finally!..

(in reply to Yskonyn)
Post #: 57
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/14/2019 7:33:56 PM   
rjord2021

Erik

Love the preview of DW2....... can you confirm that DW2 will have modding capaility as is the case with DW1?

(in reply to Dd_01)
Post #: 58
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/14/2019 8:46:18 PM   
ncc1701e

Very cool, just hope my PC will follow...

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 59
RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues - 12/15/2019 5:43:27 AM   
xan2622

Hi.

Erik, thank you for posting these news. We have been waiting for so long..

1. I have the same question as rjord1. Will DW2 have modding capability as is the case with DW1?

2. How many polygons are these 3D models composed of?

3. What 3D modelling software have your 3D artists used? (blender, Maya, 3DSMAX..)?

4. Is this an in-house made 3D game engine? (or are you using unity3D?)

5. Does the game use an adaptive OpenSubDiv tessellation, based on the camera distance from objects? (the more the user zooms-in, the more detailed objects become, the more polygons they have)
https://youtu.be/hnFSVx7NhmM?t=520

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: The Distant Worlds Saga Continues Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI