Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 12:42:43 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: WinzLer
This all looks great so far. My one question is about planet population control, in regard to race control can you say you don't want a certain race on your planets from migration rather than a race family only?

Too early to discuss these areas, sorry. Feel free to ask again when you see us start sharing some information about empire migration policies.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to WinzLer)
Post #: 61
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 12:43:37 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: WinzLer
also I guess I had two questions... Can you finally build star bases that act like trade hubs out in space rather than having to use the planets as the hubs only?

In DW1 you could build stations out in space, could you please elaborate on your question a bit?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to WinzLer)
Post #: 62
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 12:44:26 AM   
Cauldyth

Elliot! Great to see you here again!

Edit: Never mind, already answered.

(in reply to WinzLer)
Post #: 63
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 12:56:52 AM   
drdru7029

Thanks for this wonderful preview. Three questions I'm wondering if you could touch on.

1. The rich economic model and interplay with the private economy were some of the most enjoyable and immersive aspects of DW1. Can you give any information about the depth of the model in DW2?

2. A huge draw for me while playing DW1 was being able to construct massive trade hubs and watch the activity around those hubs flourish. It was great to build massive centers of economic activity and see that activity be tangibly reflected both in space and in the trade income/output generated as a result. Will such features be present in DW2?

3. Something I both loved and always wanted more of in DW1 was statistics, on everything from gross economic output per planet/system/station, to ships destroyed over time, to various aspects of trade etc. Will in-depth histogram statistics be available in the game?

Thanks again and looking forward to the game.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 64
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:02:24 AM   
darkriot

I can’t wait!

I have a couple questions

1. Will their be species specific hulls and component placements?

2. Can you build more than one ship design in a class?

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 65
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:06:37 AM   
Hawawaa

YES! Thank you! Take my money! Might be interested in helping out with that beta when it comes.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 66
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:27:37 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: drdru7029
1. The rich economic model and interplay with the private economy were some of the most enjoyable and immersive aspects of DW1. Can you give any information about the depth of the model in DW2?

Not yet, but suffice to say there is still a private economy.

quote:

2. A huge draw for me while playing DW1 was being able to construct massive trade hubs and watch the activity around those hubs flourish. It was great to build massive centers of economic activity and see that activity be tangibly reflected both in space and in the trade income/output generated as a result. Will such features be present in DW2?

I don't see why not.

quote:

3. Something I both loved and always wanted more of in DW1 was statistics, on everything from gross economic output per planet/system/station, to ships destroyed over time, to various aspects of trade etc. Will in-depth histogram statistics be available in the game?

Histogram I can't speak to at this point, but we're tracking more stats than we did in DW1.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to drdru7029)
Post #: 67
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:29:08 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkriot
1. Will their be species specific hulls and component placements?

Yes, some ship hulls are common, but others have some variance by faction, mainly in number of slots of each type, weapon placement and weapon arcs.

quote:

2. Can you build more than one ship design in a class?

If you mean can you base more than one design on the same ship hull or role, then yes, absolutely!

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/20/2019 1:32:27 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to darkriot)
Post #: 68
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:32:27 AM   
Sparviero

It just feels so rare that every new piece of informations sounds damn perfect :D

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 69
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 5:25:00 AM   
jezwhywhy

Thanks for the update

Distant Worlds is in my soul, i cannot wait to experience what is to come. DW was a very interesting and fun game with countless hours of play, im still looking forward to playing mods and maybe find a new way of experiencing DW again, and again or just going stock for its replayability too.

DW didnt by a longshot have a smooth launch (read my username haha) and took a long while Universe? 1.9? Been awhile get work out the kinks, of stalling AI and other bugs. (still better then stellaris though #sickburn they need to really improve their act with alliances etc) And im being rich, i know full well all strategy games have pathfinding and other related issues with AI always.

I fear DW2 wont be 1:1 with DW:U or that it will be barebones. That 4 years you guys refered too. That it could come out like X4 a husk, that will never surpass its predecessors for features and fun. Are there any assurances to people like me (people** like me are ultra loyal and i will through money at you, but also somewhat entitled to opine on validating my bumpy history with DS 1 and its ups and downs. If DW2 comes out bumpy will there be a strong road map of where its going)

Are we going to have a better launch this time?

Going back to being super supportive again now. I love this game and I really really hope for the best.

Goodluck you are all the jedi.

< Message edited by jezwhywhy -- 12/20/2019 5:30:47 AM >

---;@

(in reply to Sparviero)
Post #: 70
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 6:35:06 AM   
SelinaWebber

Hello, thanks to show us a peak.

Will it be possible to design a constructor as a player controlled miner to boost a system with fuel? (repeat orders)
Or are we generally allowed to do such things?

Looking forward to the game.

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 71
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 6:57:29 AM   
Webbco

On the off-chance you can answer my most burning of questions...

Will ships and bases interact with planets? If so, how?

With the new 3D engine will planetary interaction be dynamic or abstracted, as with DW1?

(in reply to SelinaWebber)
Post #: 72
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 7:20:08 AM   
Galahad78

Wow, it looks very nice indeed!!

The two most important aspects that hooked me to DW1 were the automation features, that helped me learn the game step by step, and how alive the galaxy felt with all the private sector ships running around minding their own businesses. I understand from previous posts and screenshots that both features will be present in DW2, so I'm a happy camper here

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 73
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 7:53:05 AM   
sinbuster

Erik, Elliot, thank you both for responding to my questions. I am beyond excited for this game. Merry xmas gents.

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 74
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 10:00:38 AM   
swappan

It's great to see a lot of good features made it in DW2

But about ship UI:
Will there be an easy way to see the amount of stuff that is inside the cargo of a transportship? Preferably on the selected ship UI.

Besides going into the shipslist as it is in DW1, which is annoying. I know it says the name of the cargo but not the amount.

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 75
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 11:01:55 AM   
DailyFix

Man keep it up i am so hyped about this

(in reply to swappan)
Post #: 76
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 11:19:42 AM   
Thrake

What is the difference beetween components and design bays?

I'm looking forward the different hull types, it looks like both more streamlined but also gives guidelines to design ships when in DW the absolute freedom was nice but also confusing. I like the twist on being able to unlock more specialized hulls.

The ackdarian space port is lovely, good job.

Post #: 77
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 11:49:13 AM   
OJsDad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: OJsDad
Apologies, it has been awhile since I fired up DW1 and I didn't remember it correctly.

No problem, I hope my reply reassured you... and play more DW1!

LOL. Which do you suggest I quit playing to make time for DW1; SC:WWI, CMO, Warplan, FoG:E.

Post #: 78
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:39:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Jez,

quote:

ORIGINAL: jezwhywhy
Distant Worlds is in my soul, i cannot wait to experience what is to come. DW was a very interesting and fun game with countless hours of play, im still looking forward to playing mods and maybe find a new way of experiencing DW again, and again or just going stock for its replayability too.

Thank you, that's quite a compliment!

quote:

I fear DW2 wont be 1:1 with DW:U or that it will be barebones. That 4 years you guys refered too. That it could come out like X4 a husk, that will never surpass its predecessors for features and fun. Are there any assurances to people like me (people** like me are ultra loyal and i will through money at you, but also somewhat entitled to opine on validating my bumpy history with DS 1 and its ups and downs. If DW2 comes out bumpy will there be a strong road map of where its going)
Are we going to have a better launch this time?

Well, none of us can predict the future, but I'll give it my best shot. It will not be a husk at release. I think it's fair to say that in this initial release, we will already have the great majority of DWU's features and most of those will be improved in some significant way over DWU. For most, I think it will surpass DWU at launch. For some, depending on favorite features or content it may take longer, but I believe it will get there for all eventually.

The entire game is much better structured and cleaner under the hood than DW1 was and my experience so far during development has been that when we find issues, they are much easier and quicker to fix than they were in DW1. By the time we got to DWU and everything that had been added to that over time, it was frankly getting to be a bit of a bear for Elliot to work with. DW2 is also much more easily expandable and there is room for a lot of future plans that we could never have realistically done with DW1. I hope therefore that we will have a smoother launch and that we will be able to meet or exceed the expectations of community.

May it be so!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jezwhywhy)
Post #: 79
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:40:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: SelinaWebber
Will it be possible to design a constructor as a player controlled miner to boost a system with fuel? (repeat orders)
Or are we generally allowed to do such things?

Hm, I can't really get into the resource or economy system yet, but there are new ways to help prioritize and encourage development of certain resources.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to SelinaWebber)
Post #: 80
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:42:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

With the new 3D engine will planetary interaction be dynamic or abstracted, as with DW1?

There are interactions between ships and bases and planets, but I'll have to wait until we're ready to talk about colonies, planets, economics, trade, invasions, ground combat, interception, etc. before I can really get into that unfortunately.

I'm not sure I entirely understood your second question, but if you mean will ships fly down to planets or such - that is abstracted and beyond our current scope.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 81
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:44:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: swappan
But about ship UI:
Will there be an easy way to see the amount of stuff that is inside the cargo of a transportship? Preferably on the selected ship UI.

Besides going into the shipslist as it is in DW1, which is annoying. I know it says the name of the cargo but not the amount.

Yes! Actually one of our goals with the UI was to bring as much useful information as we could up to the top level, or at most one level down and try to eliminate the situations we had in DW1 where some useful and frequently accessed information was buried 2-3 levels into the interface and required an experienced player to find.

You can very easily from the top level now determine what each of your freighters is carrying.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to swappan)
Post #: 82
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:49:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thrake
What is the difference beetween components and design bays?

A design bay is effectively a "slot" in the ship that accepts a component. Each Design bay has a type and a maximum size. Some design bays are also external, meaning they have a 3D Mesh associated with them and when a component is placed in that design bay, it actually appears on the ship (the ship's 3D model changes to show it). External bays thus also have a specific position. In some cases, such as weapons, these external design bays also have an arc within which they can fire and when that weapon fires, you will see it actually firing from that particular place on the ship where you put it.

Design bays (I also call them component slots) are divided into the following general categories.

Weapons (pretty much everything from point defense to long range heavy weapons)
Defenses (shields, armor and other handy defensive components)
Engines (engines and maneuvering thrusters)
Sensors (small and large and of various kinds)
Hangars (from docking bays to starfighter hangars)
General (pretty much everything else, including your reactors, life support, crew quarters, cargo bays, fuel cells, etc.)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Thrake)
Post #: 83
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:50:31 PM   
Webbco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

There are interactions between ships and bases and planets, but I'll have to wait until we're ready to talk about colonies, planets, economics, trade, invasions, ground combat, interception, etc. before I can really get into that unfortunately.

I'm not sure I entirely understood your second question, but if you mean will ships fly down to planets or such - that is abstracted and beyond our current scope.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks Erik, looking forward to hearing more!

Post #: 84
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:50:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: OJsDad
LOL. Which do you suggest I quit playing to make time for DW1; SC:WWI, CMO, Warplan, FoG:E.

No, no, you just need to spend more time gaming!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 85
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:52:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: larrybush
With a 64 bit full 3D engine I suppose that infers the star maps are full 3D the tactical combat area are full 3D. This could be truly immersive.

I can't discuss combat yet, but we tried to strike a balance between allowing ships to move in 3D without causing too much confusion for the player.

quote:

I see the interface screen shown with the solar system, is this full 3D and scalable too?

The entire interface is scalable. The game will start out with a scale that it thinks suits your resolution, but you can scale it up and down from there. The interface scales as a whole.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 86
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:54:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'll mention one other thing as a bonus for you all. Most ship components now also have a fighter/bomber-sized version and in DW2, you not only can design your own ships and stations, but also your own fighters and bombers based on the technologies you have researched. Similar to ships, there are upgradable hulls and in some cases faction-unique hulls for fighters and bombers as well.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/20/2019 1:55:52 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 87
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:56:16 PM   
Webbco

Incredible.

Also, I'm happy to hear that the whole process has been less burdensome so far for you and Elliot compared with DW1 development.

Post #: 88
RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! - 12/20/2019 1:57:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Also, I'm happy to hear that the whole process has been less burdensome so far for you and Elliot compared with DW1 development.

In many ways, it has actually been harder but the results should be better in a comparative amount of time.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 89
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: Distant Worlds 2 Christmas Sneak Peek! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI