Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/12/2020 7:08:52 AM   
Edward75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhRxsYaYvM
Post #: 1
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/12/2020 7:27:59 AM   
BBfanboy

Very interesting trailer. Looks like that war movie has some very good character development to go along with the action. Thanks for posting.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/12/2020 9:34:19 AM   
Fishbed

Interestingly it is actually the adaptation of a manga. It is to be taken with a grain of salt naturally (humor is very much around, don't take it as a war drama!) but it is a nice depiction of the overall folly that lead the IJN to war and destruction, with the Yamato as the central symbol of the service's contradictions.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/12/2020 9:35:39 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

The Great War of Archimedes (known in Japan as Archimedes no Taisen), a historical fiction seinen manga by Norifusa Mita about a mathematical genius who struggles to uncover a conspiracy of fraud in the Japanese Imperial Navy in the years leading up to World War II, is being adapted into a live-action film.

The story follows Tadashi Kai, a major who works in the accounting department of the Imperial Navy and who risks his life to expose a conspiracy of fraud surrounding the construction of battleships.

So it looks to me that real Yamato was smaller and thinner than paper one. No wonder the higher ups wanted all the evidence sunk

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/12/2020 2:53:52 PM   
spence

quote:

So it looks to me that real Yamato was smaller and thinner than paper one.

So it wasn't the largest battleship ever built (with its sister-ship)?

In "A Glorious Way to Die" written by the Asst Damage Control Officer (IIRC) and senior survivor (IIRC) the author credits the US with learning from the sinking of the Musashi some months before by sending in waves of fighters to strafe the AAA mounts (which were way too concentrated in the superstructure) AND to concentrate all torpedo hits on the same side of Yamato (a longitudinal bulkhead running the length of the ship limited the ability of the DCA to shift water from one side to the other to counteract flooding caused by torpedo hits).

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/12/2020 4:28:04 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

So it looks to me that real Yamato was smaller and thinner than paper one.

So it wasn't the largest battleship ever built (with its sister-ship)?

In "A Glorious Way to Die" written by the Asst Damage Control Officer (IIRC) and senior survivor (IIRC) the author credits the US with learning from the sinking of the Musashi some months before by sending in waves of fighters to strafe the AAA mounts (which were way too concentrated in the superstructure) AND to concentrate all torpedo hits on the same side of Yamato (a longitudinal bulkhead running the length of the ship limited the ability of the DCA to shift water from one side to the other to counteract flooding caused by torpedo hits).

Saw a website with a bomb by bomb, torpedo by torpedo account of the battle with pictures showing Yamato after each hit. One of the first hits was a bomb through the roof of the aft 155 mm turret that went down to that turret's powder magazine. For the rest of the battle that fire burned white hot with white smoke coming from the turret roof. It seems likely the adjoining 18.1" magazine would have had to be flooded as well.

The torpedo bombers did concentrate on one side (starboard) until Yamato was listing heavily to that side and barely moving. At that point a flight of four TBs came in on the exposed port side where the bottom of the ship was almost showing out of the water. All four torps from that strike hit, tearing out Yamato's bottom and setting up the sudden capsize to port and magazine explosion.

The pictures were incredible, and showed the hits on Yahagi as well, shredding that ship. It is a miracle it stayed afloat so long and that her Captain (Tameichi Hara) survived. I had the web site bookmarked but when my hard drive crashed I lost it and have not been able to find it again.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/13/2020 12:08:18 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Very interesting trailer. Looks like that war movie has some very good character development to go along with the action. Thanks for posting.

TMWNSNBS had some nice character development, don't you think?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/13/2020 12:11:32 PM   
geofflambert

Pretty sure I saw Rafe McCawful in one of those TBDs.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/13/2020 1:10:45 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Pretty sure I saw Rafe McCawful in one of those TBDs.

Rafe is much too classy to fly a TBD.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) - 1/15/2020 4:12:55 AM   
IdahoNYer

you can actually catch this flick in its entirety (with subtitles of course) on a Delta flight.

Caught it on a recent business trip. Story was a bit far fetched IMO, but, the CGI graphics of early versions of the Akagi and Nagato (I think), and of course the Yamato made it an enjoyable watch for the WiTP fan.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: The Great War of Archimedes (2019) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI