Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just a question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Just a question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just a question - 7/13/2003 12:23:50 PM   
Chiteng

In Steel Panthers 3 ......

I held off a reinforced soviet armored brigade with 4 lousy
M1A1 tanks entrenched on a hill. I lost none of them.
I got one track blown off.

The Soviets were shredded.

The questions is this.
Do you get that type of result in classic Steel Panthers?

“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic
Post #: 1
- 7/13/2003 9:19:53 PM   
Bing

Depends upon the date of the engagement. Earlier in the war the game engine is set to make the Soviets very bad actors in terms of morale, and their ability to recover from suppression, that sort of thing.

There are a couple of ways to even up the playing field, so to speak. What I do is edit the Soviet units manually. Depends also upon the type of unit - elite, first line, conscript - and to a certain extent the engagement. Even when this is done, the game engine continues to pply a bias against Soviets. Get used to it. Sort of like what the football coaches talk about: A "character building experience".

I get the idea that for the creators of the original game, the Soviets were intended as a punching bag for the Germans. Early in the war, that is approximately correct, though there were certainly exceptions. After ~March 1944 that is distinctly not true and the the action reports from Wehmacht filed commanders are quite clear: The Soviets had learned how to fight, they were fighting overall at a level comparable to the German army. You can take the German commanders views on the subject for what they are, or ignore them.

No matter what you do, if the soviet player is Player #2 you will never get the proper response from offboard artillery - you will have to double the number of such units to get them to deliver fire missions any other major nation will under identical circumstances. I tested this in depth: THe Soviets get less than half the response, no question about it.

Even when Player #1, the Soviet gets the short end of the artillery stick. Gets old if you play the Soviets. Very old.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 2
- 7/14/2003 3:30:00 AM   
Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]

No matter what you do, if the soviet player is Player #2 you will never get the proper response from offboard artillery - you will have to double the number of such units to get them to deliver fire missions any other major nation will under identical circumstances. I tested this in depth: THe Soviets get less than half the response, no question about it.

Even when Player #1, the Soviet gets the short end of the artillery stick. Gets old if you play the Soviets. Very old.

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

With any country but the US & Germany, I always check to see if all the arty has radios. Same with the FO's. Once they're all communicating, it's not so bad.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Just a question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI