Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Old Veteran Player is Impressed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Old Veteran Player is Impressed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old Veteran Player is Impressed - 1/23/2020 7:46:06 PM   
Ezra

As a long time original Close Combat player from the very beginning I am impressed with the present version (107 update).

I know it was buggy at first but now things are looking and playing real well. Combined arms coupled with appropriate timing in terms of execution, and a little luck, offers satisfying tactics. It is difficult to go back to the originals once one gets used to this. I like it.

No buyers remorse here.

Cheers.
Post #: 1
RE: Old Veteran Player is Impressed - 1/23/2020 7:56:14 PM   
Ezra

My Mini Review:

I have always loved the Close Combat series since it`s first inception. The concept of being diversely tactical with intuitive simplicity was irresistible for a PC war-gamer who came from the board game culture of Panzer Blitz and Combat Leader.

For those of you who have played the original Combat Mission you will feel similarities when you play (zoomed out) in this regard. The combined arms work well coupled with the modelled soldier psychology and the dynamic morale factor. The path finding also seems much better especially for vehicles and leaves the player feeling this is the way it should have always been.

Tactical moves with combined arms leave the player with a satisfying feeling when executed correctly. Rushing the enemy may work in some situations but will most likely end up in disaster. Slow methodical tactics work well and the player will be rewarded for doing so.

I`ll mention a few critiques even though there are several the developers must be aware of:

Smoke dispensers should have the ability to be thrown without LOS restriction. Why is a soldier unable to lob a smoke grenade over a small ridge or hedge or even a small bush for that matter? Or even out the window from a building? Where are the multi-level buildings? Why do the soldiers refuse to fire from them?

At the present development cycle (1.07), this game is it is still very playable and a must buy (if not in support) for those who have always been a fan of the franchise. In my opinion it is a definite move forward from the original version. Furthermore, you can jump in and play a quick battle in under half an hour.

Close Combat: The Bloody First has loads of potential.

< Message edited by Ezra -- 1/23/2020 10:20:20 PM >

(in reply to Ezra)
Post #: 2
RE: Old Veteran Player is Impressed - 1/23/2020 8:42:27 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Glad you are having fun with the game, and thanks for sticking with us!

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to Ezra)
Post #: 3
RE: Old Veteran Player is Impressed - 1/25/2020 5:11:03 PM   
Divadov

"It is difficult to go back to the originals once one gets used to this."

Yes it's true!!!

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Old Veteran Player is Impressed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI