Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FROM THE RED ZONE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: FROM THE RED ZONE Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 4:51:39 PM   
Lobster

https://www.wired.com/2014/09/when-extrapolation-fails-us/

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 721
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 6:15:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

It's just that it's annoying to see people ganging up on others who have an opinion.

warspite1

And I think its annoying that you see this as 'ganging up'. I reject that accusation completely. This is not the school playground; we are adults discussing something potentially huge - hell its big enough already.

Maybe, just maybe, the depth of feeling expressed by so many - with not one actually supporting the 'methodology' iirc perhaps says more about how shockingly mis-guided that 'calculation' is than anything else.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 722
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 6:38:24 PM   
MrsWargamer

This 'event' is likely going to help with my diet.

Can't go out anywhere to eat illogically.

Probably help my budget too, as I won't be able to spend much casually, as there is nowhere to spend it.

My province is planning to shut down all non-essential, which likely means only booze and food and meds. And I don't drink, and I have my meds in order. Plus, I have a habit of not eating the stuff in the freezer. I probably will not need to shop for much in April. But I'm worried about my model glue supplies.

This virus isn't a beast we can shoot. And what with people hating vaccinations, and some want to pray it away, this problem will survive for a long ways to come.

I plan to get on with my life the second the weather permits me to get out on my bike. Fortunately, I don't need retail, or services to manage that.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 723
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 7:06:45 PM   
Lobster

Really? When a group of people bash one individual what do you call that? Whether it's orchestrated or not the purpose is to silence someone.

And again you are approaching this like you live in Iceland and seeing that there is a volcanic eruption in Japan you evacuate off shore so it doesn't affect you. Or at least that's your argument.

Look at the numbers in your city. That is what you need to worry about. Not what is happening in another country. You can't do anything about them.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 724
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 7:07:45 PM   
gamer78

Since both my parents +70 I did grocery shop for them also bought beer and rakı: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rak%C4%B1
Gaming while drinking for me.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 725
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 7:10:27 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: gamer78

Since both my parents +70 I did grocery shop for them also bought beer and rakı: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rak%C4%B1
Gaming while drinking for me.

When one of the essential businesses that were to remain open was venues that sold alcohol I was mildly amused. As if being drunk was a necessary prerequisite for worlds end. It would ease the pain a bit.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 726
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 7:21:36 PM   
Zovs

The problem is and what I am getting tired of is the false and fear mongering doom and gloom posts that Bob is posting and that Jack is radically defending and then calling anyone who opposes the viewpoints of Bob horrible names (i.e. personal attacks).

This is turning into a zoo because of this behavior.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mature adults having a reasonable dialog and if they disagree on formulas or bad or incorrect math or data and then point it out.

What is wrong is when Bob keeps posting those incorrect and false speculations of mass death and someone points out his data and formulas are incorrect, and he just ignores you and says he is right and you are wrong (no used trying to talk to a brick-wall), and then Jack hopes in and calls or attacks the other person challenging the the bad data and incorrect formulas.

Hence this has turned into a zoo and play ground now instead of a decent place to have a conversation.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 727
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 7:27:17 PM   
z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

The problem is and what I am getting tired of is the false and fear mongering doom and gloom posts that Bob is posting and that Jack is radically defending and then calling anyone who opposes the viewpoints of Bob horrible names (i.e. personal attacks).

This is turning into a zoo because of this behavior.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mature adults having a reasonable dialog and if they disagree on formulas or bad or incorrect math or data and then point it out.

What is wrong is when Bob keeps posting those incorrect and false speculations of mass death and someone points out his data and formulas are incorrect, and he just ignores you and says he is right and you are wrong (no used trying to talk to a brick-wall), and then Jack hopes in and calls or attacks the other person challenging the the bad data and incorrect formulas.

Hence this has turned into a zoo and play ground now instead of a decent place to have a conversation.

I agree with you...............but I think the best thing to do is ignore them.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 728
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 7:50:07 PM   
*Lava*

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava

quote:

Prove it.

In the one country which first started large scale testing (South Korea) and where the numbers published can be somewhat believable (almost certainly still lots of folks who had it but weren't confirmed)...

South Korea has 8961 confirmed cases and 111 deaths. That is a 0.012 death rate.

See right there you made an error. You are making an assumption that every case was tested.

Incorrect.

I specifically stated that the amount of folks who had the virus and weren't tested was unknown.

However, had everyone been tested... the death ratio would be far lower then 1%.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 729
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 9:17:27 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Not defending anything. Simply pointing out that Bob has a right to say what he wants. Erik pointed out the exact same thing (post #619). So I guess what you are saying about me you are also saying about Erik. I simply defend his right and your right to say what you want without groups of people piling on. Same as Erik did (post #619).

And since your reply seems to be extremely narrowly focused I did point out that global numbers will do you no good. You need to look at local numbers. How is that defending anyone? It's common sense.

I can also say that the people who accurately forecast how bad it was going to get were accused of spreading panic and unfounded rumors of doom and gloom and were accused of over reacting. Well, doom and gloom is upon us.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/23/2020 9:37:56 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 730
oops - 3/23/2020 9:34:20 PM   
Lobster

double post

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/23/2020 9:38:54 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 731
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/23/2020 9:52:04 PM   
GaryChildress

One thing I haven't seen a lot of in the news is WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU GET THE CORONA VIRUS?????

Suppose the hospitals are full, how do you fight it at home. Should you drink a lot of fluids, eat a lot of vitamin C foods, etc to build up your immune system? Or what is the best way to fight the disease if you get it????

< Message edited by GaryChildress -- 3/23/2020 10:00:09 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 732
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/23/2020 10:29:45 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

One thing I haven't seen a lot of in the news is WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU GET THE CORONA VIRUS?????

Suppose the hospitals are full, how do you fight it at home. Should you drink a lot of fluids, eat a lot of vitamin C foods, etc to build up your immune system? Or what is the best way to fight the disease if you get it????

Look here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

If you are so bad you need help then regardless of how full the hospitals are you need to call the emergency medical personnel.

W.H.O. situation report:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200323-sitrep-63-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=d97cb6dd_2

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/23/2020 10:33:44 PM >

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 733
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/23/2020 10:37:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Really? When a group of people bash one individual what do you call that? Whether it's orchestrated or not the purpose is to silence someone.

And again you are approaching this like you live in Iceland and seeing that there is a volcanic eruption in Japan you evacuate off shore so it doesn't affect you. Or at least that's your argument.

Look at the numbers in your city. That is what you need to worry about. Not what is happening in another country. You can't do anything about them.

warspite1

a) it's not 'bashing' an individual - I have no reason or wish to 'bash' Curtis Lemay personally, but its pointing out just how wrong his posting of that 'calculation' is - and the number of people that have done so is perhaps a clue? There is a difference between 'bashing' and getting one's point across. It's called a debate and people are allowed to express an opinion. Or are you of the view that once one person (two? three?) voice their opinion, further comment by others is not allowed? Even though they may have different angles and different strands to the debate? What is the correct number of people that may voice an opinion? So when there was an interminable argument about time stamps in TOAW why did you feel the need to 'gang up' on the guy arguing with Curtis Lemay? He had it all covered so wasn't your input superfluous? Or were you just expressing your opinion as you are fully entitled to do, and which is what has happened here?

I don't seek to silence him, that is absurd. I hoped he would be sufficiently aware of the situation, take on board the cogent arguments against posting that data in isolation, but if not, at least to add an appropriate caveat to the limitations of his %. But he chooses not to. He prefers the big scary, meaningless numbers without context approach. This is a serious situation and I think that is irresponsible.

b) please don't tell me how I personally should be approaching this. Your Japan/Iceland eruption is as pertinent to the situation as his ridiculous coins in the air. I should be looking at the numbers in my city only should I? I look at the numbers in my county, city, country, Europe, the world. I seek to educate myself on this topic as much as I can. So thanks for telling me how I should be viewing this and what I need to worry about, but I'll pass if its all the same.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/23/2020 11:15:07 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 734
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/24/2020 12:32:27 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Of you get sick, stay home.

I have posted these before, I suggest that you read them:

quote:

Cytokine release syndrome (CRS) is a form of systemic inflammatory response syndrome that can be triggered by a variety of factors such as infections and certain drugs. It occurs when large numbers of white blood cells are activated and release inflammatory cytokines, which in turn activate yet more white blood cells. CRS is also an adverse effect of some monoclonal antibody drugs, as well as adoptive T-cell therapies. Severe cases have been called cytokine storms. When occurring as a result of drug administration, it is also known as an infusion reaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_release_syndrome

Cytokine Storm and Herbs: Life or Death Information!

https://www.naturalmedicinemamas.com/nmm-blog/cytokine-storm-and-herbs-life-or-death-information

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 735
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/24/2020 12:40:17 AM   
ThunderLizard11

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I hate to sound crass, but you have to die from something unless you are immortal. That said, it might just aggravate existing conditions such as asthma, heart problems, and other issues. Live your life but take sensible precautions. Actually, the proper mask can help the non-infected stay that way by not breathing in the pathogens but you can still get sick from catching the various illness causing pathogens some other way.

Yeah but if Covid-19 gets you now you will have lost out on many hours of gaming...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 736
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/24/2020 1:01:55 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2

quote:

I hate to sound crass, but you have to die from something unless you are immortal. That said, it might just aggravate existing conditions such as asthma, heart problems, and other issues. Live your life but take sensible precautions. Actually, the proper mask can help the non-infected stay that way by not breathing in the pathogens but you can still get sick from catching the various illness causing pathogens some other way.

Yeah but if Covid-19 gets you now you will have lost out on many hours of gaming...

Apparently you did not get the meaning of what I posted. Becoming ill because of a CoVid-19 infection is not a death sentence - otherwise just kill everyone infected and be done with it.

― Julia Child

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 737
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/24/2020 2:40:05 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cytokine release syndrome (CRS) is a form of systemic inflammatory response syndrome that can be triggered by a variety of factors such as infections and certain drugs. It occurs when large numbers of white blood cells are activated and release inflammatory cytokines, which in turn activate yet more white blood cells. CRS is also an adverse effect of some monoclonal antibody drugs, as well as adoptive T-cell therapies. Severe cases have been called cytokine storms. When occurring as a result of drug administration, it is also known as an infusion reaction.

https://www.naturalmedicinemamas.com/nmm-blog/cytokine-storm-and-herbs-life-or-death-information

Ranger Joe-the 'natural medicine' article you posted is entirely without peer review merit. Nobody thinks Tumeric is going to prevent cytokine cascade. Please don't post such unapproved home remedies here.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 738
RE: OT - The New Coronavirus - 3/24/2020 3:06:02 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ranger Joe-the 'natural medicine' article you posted is entirely without peer review merit. Nobody thinks Tumeric is going to prevent cytokine cascade. Please don't post such unapproved home remedies here.

My apologies, you are entirely correct. Curcumin is the active ingredient in Tumeric that is of interest. This is what the NIH states:

quote:

Curcumin suppression of cytokine release and cytokine storm. A potential therapy for patients with Ebola and other severe viral infections.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:

The terminal stage of Ebola and other viral diseases is often the onset of a cytokine storm, the massive overproduction of cytokines by the body's immune system.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:

The actions of curcumin in suppressing cytokine release and cytokine storm are discussed.
RESULTS:

Curcumin blocks cytokine release, most importantly the key pro-inflammatory cytokines, interleukin-1, interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor-α. The suppression of cytokine release by curcumin correlates with clinical improvement in experimental models of disease conditions where a cytokine storm plays a significant role in mortality.
CONCLUSION:

The use of curcumin should be investigated in patients with Ebola and cytokine storm. Intravenous formulations may allow achievement of therapeutic blood levels of curcumin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25600522/

So you are entirely correct. The NIH has no background in researching ways of killing viruses in people.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 739
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 12:27:44 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Bob's mindset is he doesn't understand two and half millenia of work in predictive/multivariate statistics (& as a field it is that old).

I'm pretty sure that pandemics weren't spread by jet aircraft 2.5 millennia ago. There has never been a pandemic like this one. Old models are just guesswork.

sequence of blogs on some of the methodological issues in modelling the spread and impact of the virus.

the link is to #3 in the series but it contains links back to the first 2. Author makes no pretence to being right, reviews the main models adopted by policy makers and, using non-mathematical terms, works through the underlying assumptions.

https://sacswebsite.blogspot.com/2020/03/part-3-simulation-and-coronavirus.html

Its interesting what 2,500 years of methodological development (incl Archimedes counting cows) can get you to. Not so much the right answer but the tools to explore the underlying question.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 3/24/2020 12:28:55 PM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 740
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 1:04:02 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

a) it's not 'bashing' an individual - I have no reason or wish to 'bash' Curtis Lemay personally, but its pointing out just how wrong his posting of that 'calculation' is - and the number of people that have done so is perhaps a clue? There is a difference between 'bashing' and getting one's point across. It's called a debate and people are allowed to express an opinion. Or are you of the view that once one person (two? three?) voice their opinion, further comment by others is not allowed? Even though they may have different angles and different strands to the debate? What is the correct number of people that may voice an opinion? So when there was an interminable argument about time stamps in TOAW why did you feel the need to 'gang up' on the guy arguing with Curtis Lemay? He had it all covered so wasn't your input superfluous? Or were you just expressing your opinion as you are fully entitled to do, and which is what has happened here?

I don't seek to silence him, that is absurd. I hoped he would be sufficiently aware of the situation, take on board the cogent arguments against posting that data in isolation, but if not, at least to add an appropriate caveat to the limitations of his %. But he chooses not to. He prefers the big scary, meaningless numbers without context approach. This is a serious situation and I think that is irresponsible.

b) please don't tell me how I personally should be approaching this. Your Japan/Iceland eruption is as pertinent to the situation as his ridiculous coins in the air. I should be looking at the numbers in my city only should I? I look at the numbers in my county, city, country, Europe, the world. I seek to educate myself on this topic as much as I can. So thanks for telling me how I should be viewing this and what I need to worry about, but I'll pass if its all the same.

a) Wrong
b) Wrong

Tired of pointing it out. Go bother someone else. Or continue trying to silence Bob. I don't care.

So post the last thing to make you right and end it.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/24/2020 1:07:48 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 741
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 1:07:14 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Bob's mindset is he doesn't understand two and half millenia of work in predictive/multivariate statistics (& as a field it is that old).

I'm pretty sure that pandemics weren't spread by jet aircraft 2.5 millennia ago. There has never been a pandemic like this one. Old models are just guesswork.

sequence of blogs on some of the methodological issues in modelling the spread and impact of the virus.

the link is to #3 in the series but it contains links back to the first 2. Author makes no pretence to being right, reviews the main models adopted by policy makers and, using non-mathematical terms, works through the underlying assumptions.

Its interesting what 2,500 years of methodological development (incl Archimedes counting cows) can get you to. Not so much the right answer but the tools to explore the underlying question.

I did not like statistics in school. Trying to do those would make my head hurt.

Maybe Curtis Lemay should try doing those . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 742
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 2:12:50 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Here's one of your posts from yesterday:

quote:

If, for the most part, the wider health systems don't collapse 1-5% (pick a number you're going to be as wrong as anyone else), if they do then I'd go for 10-15% (possibly hugher) for all the reasons that Franciscus gives.

I don't care what methodology is used, if it results in an answer of a death rate of between 1% to 15%, it is nothing but a guess. You fudged so wide that it's useless.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 743
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 2:13:35 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Today's worldwide figures:

Attachment (1)

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 744
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 2:33:44 PM   
rico21

Heared to french tv.
At our Italian brothers.
Unfortunately, 20 of the 6000 doctors infected since the start of the epidemic died.
Or a mortality rate of 0.33%.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 745
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 2:36:28 PM   
MrRoadrunner

17226/394828 = 4.3%
Rising slightly but holding steady in the four percent range?

(Not an attack. Just a different point of view and statistic.)

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 746
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 2:36:51 PM   
ncc1701e

One source I have found. Map of the virus in the world:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

< Message edited by ncc1701e -- 3/24/2020 2:37:20 PM >

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 747
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 4:06:59 PM   
Lobster

Global
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200323-sitrep-63-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=b617302d_2
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
U.S.A.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
State I live in
City I live 'near'
26 confirmed and no deaths

If I went by the global news I would be in a state of panic like many seem to be (names will not be mentioned). But I look at the local level with zero deaths. So while I follow the recommended actions I have virtually nothing to worry about and likely won't because me and mine are not so stupid as to think we are invulnerable. Using common sense will save you from fairly any illness. Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, 'omg look at how bad it is on the other side of the PLANET!!!' is pointless stress.

If it ever did get as bad here as it is in Italy I still have nothing to worry about because I understand the necessary steps to take to stay safe. Always have.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 3/24/2020 4:08:25 PM >

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 748
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 4:16:45 PM   
warspite1

Wow.....er just wow.....

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 749
RE: FROM THE RED ZONE - 3/24/2020 4:19:43 PM   
Piteas

Hi from Spain.

Here staying at home, hoping best times.

I present you official data in Spain, as an example of the virus lethality in older people:

95% deads in my country are +60 old (67% of them are +80 old)

it is a terrible virus for older people.

Link (in spanish but the list numbers are understable): https://www.eldiario.es/sociedad/fallecidos-coronavirus-Espana-anos_0_1008599338.html

Good luck for all of you from my spanish corner.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: FROM THE RED ZONE Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI